• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social King K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: This...Is Our Finest Hour!

What is the original source for this? Is that an actual figure? MUST HAVE!!! @.@
a few years ago someone was trying to find who made this k rool render, i dont know if they suceeded or not but its old and great.
also it is not a figure, the person who did this image just made it look like that.

if it was a figure i would get that right away

MattOnwheels

Smash Ace
So uh, bros, I uh.....

I'm trying to compose Snakey Chantey, like I mentioned several pages back (For those that hadn't read, yes, im doing a FULL cover of Snakey Chantey--more ambitious than my previous piano-only cover idea--in MuseScore2 to celebrate DKC/Show support for K . Rool *even if it isnt his theme*) and well....

It's kind of kicking my ass!

I have the intro down which sounds reeeeeal puuuuurdy, i must tell you! but then, right where the drums kick in, im running into a snag:

I am just now realizing i am TERRIBLE at swing notation. Long story short, I can't do the drum fills to save my life, and without a drum track, the bass and lead piano are proving impossible for me. MuseScore does have a metronome feature, but its not the same.

I hate to do this, but if anyone our there composes music via a program like I do, is there anyway you can offer help? I can send the .XML of the file and someone can try composing the drums for me, or at least dhow me what i need to do to get the rhythm down dor the other parts...im kinda stumped.

I refuse to give up. Covering this is a dream of mine!

What's that?! Use actual Sheet Music?! YOU FOOLS! WHAT DO YOU TAKE ME FOR?! I want to add my own flourishes to the music too, you know! I'm not taking the pansy's way out! Harrumph!

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
If K Rool reveal in smash ultimate will we get Gangplank Galleon as a stage or Tropical Freeze sense we got allot returning stages granted we dont know if they all returning thats has not been official wouldn't surprise if we get 5 or 8 six new stages.
Gangplank Galleon stage

Jungle Hijinx frozen over

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom

So the project plan started in late 2015. How does that impact us?

IMO I think it helps us. We did well on the ballot.

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
Just saw a Tweet saying that in Sakurai's Famitsu column he said the project plan for Smash Ultimate was finished in December 2015. The ballot ended in September 2015 so it was only a few months later that they were done hashing out Smash U, and had probably finalized the roster... this bodes well for characters who were big on the ballot. It also hurts a lot recent characters, Rex and Pyra, ARMs characters and any other characters who recently had a resurgence like Crash...

The list of candidates is shrinking...

Untouch

Smash Master
If I want to guess, or be very hopeful, maybe some characters were already planned for Ultimate before the ballet. Perhaps Sakurai wanted to save them for Ultimate instead of making DLC, so Ultimate can have a bigger impact?

DerpingPikachu

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5074-6946-5113
Just saw a Tweet saying that in Sakurai's Famitsu column he said the project plan for Smash Ultimate was finished in December 2015. The ballot ended in September 2015 so it was only a few months later that they were done hashing out Smash U, and had probably finalized the roster... this bodes well for characters who were big on the ballot. It also hurts a lot recent characters, Rex and Pyra, ARMs characters and any other characters who recently had a resurgence like Crash...

I don’t know if it necessarily hurts their chances, since there’s a Mario odyssey stage even though it came out in 2017. But i’d like to think it helps K. Rool’s chances.

GalacticPetey

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GalacticPetey
I don’t know if it necessarily hurts their chances, since there’s a Mario odyssey stage even though it came out in 2017. But i’d like to think it helps K. Rool’s chances.
Stages can easily be implemented later. Characters are decided on pretty early on with the exception of last minute clones.

This news bodes well for both King K. Rool and Dixie. I feel like the ballot will be a big factor this go around, since the roster was finalized mere months after the ballot ended and Tropical Freeze would be even more relevant at the time of planning, boosting Dixie's chances.

Last edited:

DerpingPikachu

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5074-6946-5113
Stages can easily be implemented later. Characters are decided on pretty early on with the exception of last minute clones.

This news bodes well for both King K. Rool and Dixie. I feel like the ballot will be a big factor this go around, since the roster was finalized mere months after the ballot ended and Tropical Freeze would be even more relevant at the time of planning, boosting Dixie's chances.
Oh ok good point. Hope you’re right, I’d be happy to see Dixie too.

Travix Man

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TravixMan

Those candidates could possibly be added for DLC if that is the case. I wouldn't mind an ARMS representative.

This does bode well for big ballot contenders like King K. Rool. Six months isn't that long of a wait, so we're bound to get all kinds of news in that amount of time.

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
I really do feel DK is long overdue for 2 characters at this point. Dixie and K.Rool are needed to make this game feel "ultimate" and "Everyone is here" to me. At the very least can we get one of them (and a DK assist trophy like Rambi, Cranky, or Funky?) If Dixie was added over K.Rool (even though I want K.Rool more) I'd feel a bit disappointed but not completely letdown. If K.Rool was added over Dixie I'd be happy but in the back of my mind always feel something was missing. If neither of them are added I will be extrememly disappointed...

Maxoxpower

Smash Ace
i can't believe this was my first post here :
1529520362391.png

it's been a while and its a little sad that i must beg for it again!

I HOPE , Dixie Kong and King K.Rool is in SMASH Ultimate! Again!

my dream is to come back years later and said : ACHIEVEMENT UNLOCKED!

Last edited:

Gobliiin

Smash Apprentice
Surely K. Rool has to be in now then? Obviously it isn't exact but if you look at the ballot 'results' You see the likes of Bayonetta, Cloud, Daisy, Ridley, Inkling and all the cut vets plus a lot of the assist trophies that have all made it in one way or the other. The only constant name that keeps appearing is K. Rool and normally that's pretty much as top contender or near as.

Think it was here I read it but I think he might be the last reveal to build the most hype. Ridley was always going to be the E3 reveal to create the biggest shock and hype. Yet it fits K. Rool to turn up late and I think he might have won the ballot, As why would people barely mention other characters especially ones that have made it in while K. Rool features on pretty much everyone's list? They just couldn't do what they needed with Ridley and K. Rool or even Inklings in the time they had. Plus I think they got more money for what it was worth from actual existing companies to make it profitable with all the DLC characters.

StormC

Smash Hero
December 2015 is way earlier than any of us were thinking, but very encouraging news. I'm fully confident now this game will be mostly fan favorites.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend

And the ballot finished in September 2015

That would explain how daisy got in she must have done well on the ballot

And sakurai already knew Ridley was the most requested character from the west/USA

Which brings further evidence that ultimate might be focused on fan request

So are newcomers must be the most voted for in the ballot for this one

Now I'm even more confident king k rool Is playable for this one

Dru2

Hail to the King
NNID
DruetheDruid
3DS FC
0189-9845-3398

YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I was actually starting to get depressed about K. Rool's chances since yesterday marked 10 years since K. Rool has been in a videogame (Mario Super Sluggers), but hot damn this is the best thing I've heard all day. The Ballot is clearly playing a big role in this, and we know K. Rool did really well. Wtih no new title characters in the way, in my mind this just shot up his chances to at least 80%.

STAY STRONG, BOIS, JUST A LITTLE LONGER AND WE GOT THIS!!
1529522271880.jpg

Last edited:

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
Well, Crash would get in due to his name power, not his resurgence. 3rd parties have nothing to do with relevance so it doesn't affect him all that much, it's just now people will stop overrating him.
Crash absolutely could get in on his name alone, and while I agree that he isn't affected by relevance (what good K. Rool supporter believes in such a word) at the time of the ballot i never saw much of a push for him. Had his new game come out around that time I feel he would have had a stronger ballot presence. Its only now I see him popping up due to his recent come back and port on the Switch.

SeasideKingDumb

Smash Apprentice
Yeah so this December 2015 news is huge. It looks like a lot of characters from newer games aren't going to show up in this title (except maybe as DLC). I guess there could be a Greninja situation but December of 2015 was sort of almost like a drought of a lot of new Nintendo content. And all the new stuff at the time got represented in Smash. So in the base roster, if we assume Simon Belmont is getting through and the leak is accurate, then that means that there are 5-6 more newcomers to be released (echo fighters may or may not be included).

So I think this actually confirms the theory that the Smash Ballot was actually intended for Smash 5. I think it makes more sense, to be honest, since having only one character to result from it never felt right in my opinion. K. Rool's Mii costume was released in July of 2015, and the finalized plans for Smash 5 were completed in December of 2015. The fact that Chrom and Geno also aren't in Smash 5 in any capacity as costumes, assists, or anything else, I think a lot of the Mii costumed characters are all going to be transferred into Smash 5 as fully playable characters. Geno and K. Rool's costumes especially seemed suspicious at the time because they were completely new designs not seen in the game at all.

I'm not an expert of game design nor do I claim to be but I just can't imagine any logical reason for Sakurai to literally give K. Rool's costume a never before seen design. Even if they couldn't take assets from his trophy giving him a completely original look just for a Mii costume seems completely out of left field.

I think this also explains Waluigi's existence as an Assist Trophy. His support didn't really blow up until Smash 5 was teased a few months back. Back in 2015, he was requested but I definitely saw more support for characters like Daisy, K. Rool, Shovel Knight, even Shantae. This 2015 date provides us with so much information and it's hard to imagine K. Rool not being in Smash 5. All the pieces of the Smash 5 puzzle fit together so perfectly and I honestly cannot see a world where K. Rool isn't at least represented in Smash 5 to some degree.

majorasmaskfan

Smash Journeyman
I think this helps k rool and Dixie Kong as at worst a semi clone but not an echo as tropical freeze would still have been a recent big wiiu game (remember not much came out for the thing)

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
If we're talking about stages to represent K. Rool, I really want to see a DKC based industrial stage. We already had a good number of jungle settings and the arcade stage, it's time for a chance of pace (HO HO!). Kremkroc Industries, The Flying Krock, Mekanos, Hideout Helm, you name it. The areas in which the Kremling's presence is it's most notable, and the perfect places to serve as K. Rool's home stage. I have a preference for the Flying Krock, personally, as a sort Halberd style flying stage.

I would've also liked to see a mining stage at some point, since those are prevalent through the whole series, but I think it's easier to remind people of the nature vs machine subtext present in all of Rare's DK titles with a flat out industrial level.

StormC

Smash Hero
Blackout Basement is begging to be a stage although I'd bet most people would hate it.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
Speaking if K. Rool gets playable.

Kaptain K. Rool - 40% . It's popular, and it's where his infamous Blunderbuss cames from. DKC2 is very popular, just as DKC1, which means it could happen. I just placed it under 50, because we are just lucky if we get KKR at all. (I can't relax until he is revealed, but I'm very hopefull, and confident)

Baron - 5%. Much less popular than DKC1 and DKC2. Very little, to none(?) content of DKC3 has yet made it to Smash. And I don't think of how many people who'd enjoy Baron over Kaptain and King attire.

StormC

Smash Hero
So what is the general consensus here on K.Rool getting Kaptain K.Rool and Baron alt costumes?
Not great for Baron but I really cannot imagine him missing Kaptain with the other characters getting alts. It would be an utter shock to me. Put me down at 90% chance.

SenSx

Smash Apprentice
Wo that's really good news !
So if newcomers were only picked thanks to the ballot, and assuming the leak is right about 5 newcomers left (including Belmont), who will be the chosen ones ?

K.Rool, Dixie, Geno, Isaac, Ashley, Bandana Dee, Elma, Chrom, Isabelle, Paper Mario, Chibi Robot, Chorus Kids: am I missing someone ?
Bandana Dee seems populars nowadays, but how wa sit for him at the time of the ballot ?

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
So if newcomers were only picked thanks to the ballot, and assuming the leak is right about 5 newcomers left (including Belmont), who will be the chosen ones ?

K.Rool, Dixie, Geno, Isaac, Ashley, Bandana Dee, Elma, Chrom, Isabelle, Paper Mario, Chibi Robot, Chorus Kids: am I missing someone ?
Bandana Dee seems populars nowadays, but how wa sit for him at the time of the ballot ?
Lip <3

Mccdbz5

Smash Journeyman

I think that's just about everyone you could expect, although I've never quite understood why people feel like Paper Mario has a great chance. I just don't see it personally. I understand he would have great move set potential, but I just truly don't see it happening.

My most reasonable predictions would be Dixie Kong, King K. Rool, Bandana Dee, possibly a new Pokémon, Elma, maybe Ashley, and maybe Springman due to him being a new Nintendo IP, though I feel like he'll be DLC if anything. Aside from that, I feel like it's a toss up personally.

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
I appreciate how detailed the art work is in DKCR games. They are honestly very beautiful. But anyone else would like something closer to the update to Kongo Jungle in Smash Ultimate?

I think Ultimate 's art style for the level perhaps take it a little too far , a little too "generic" realistic, but I would like something closer to that for the next DKC game. The older games walked the line between cartoony and realistic.

EnthusedPanda

Smash Journeyman
The Flying Kroc would be my ideal DK/Rool-specific stage, back on the topic of what a new DK stage could be. I picture it having one or two Castle Siege-esque transitions where you’d break through the windshield and fight on the exterior, or even it briefly landing atop K. Rool’s tower in DKC2.

Mccdbz5

Smash Journeyman
So I saw some comments on YouTube on a video of King K. Rool's theme in Super Smash Bros. for Wii U of people commenting on the ballot two years ago. There's a number of people claiming that apparently King K. Rool was planned for Melee and Brawl but was cut due to time constraints...does anyone know this to be true? I've never heard that myself, but I don't want to discount anyone.

I appreciate how detailed the art work is in DKCR games. They are honestly very beautiful. But anyone else would like something closer to the update to Kongo Jungle in Smash Ultimate?

I think Ultimate 's art style for the level perhaps take it a little too far , a little too "generic" realistic, but I would like something closer to that for the next DKC game. The older games walked the line between cartoony and realistic.
I feel the same way! The only criticism I ever had with Retro's Donkey Kong games besides not including the Kremlings in either one of them, was the art style they chose to go with. I felt like the old Donkey Kong Country games tried to appear realistic, but in a light-hearted fashion, and that's part of what made me fall in love with that series. Because it felt somewhat gritty and serious, but also didn't feel like it took itself too serious. If that makes sense.

StormC

Smash Hero
So I saw some comments on YouTube on a video of King K. Rool's theme in Super Smash Bros. for Wii U of people commenting on the ballot two years ago. There's a number of people claiming that apparently King K. Rool was planned for Melee and Brawl but was cut due to time constraints...does anyone know this to be true? I've never heard that myself, but I don't want to discount anyone.
Pretty much 0 evidence of it.

https://sourcegaming.info/2016/04/29/duflupdate/

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Wait, about Source Gaming's article on Sakurai and Smash Ultimate, did the article say anything about the ballot influencing Smash Ultimate, because I am not finding it, and thus, I don't know why people are getting their hopes up for ballot characters in this next game.

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
Wait, about Source Gaming's article on Sakurai and Smash Ultimate, did the article say anything about the ballot influencing Smash Ultimate, because I am not finding it, and thus, I don't know why people are getting their hopes up for ballot characters in this next game.
The ballot being used in this game has already been established a long tim eago. The Smash Ballot JP webpage included a comment about the data being used potentially for future titles. This is not discussed in Sakurai's new column. People are just relating it to the ballot becuase apparently the project plan started in Dec 2015, shortly after the ballot was completed. The time between the ballot and the project plan is shorter than most believed.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
The ballot being used in this game has already been established a long tim eago. The Smash Ballot JP webpage included a comment about the data being used potentially for future titles. This is not discussed in Sakurai's new column. People are just relating it to the ballot becuase apparently the project plan started in Dec 2015, shortly after the ballot was completed. The time between the ballot and the project plan is shorter than most believed.
Oh, that makes sense. Still hopeful for our king, but what if he doesn't get in (at least in the base roster)?

GravelerChamp60

Smash Apprentice
I'm totally with you there. Honestly, I really wish that Dixie was either a newcomer in Smash 4, or a tag team with Diddy like originally intended. I may be more aligned towards K. Rool, but I really do think Dixie deserves a spot on the roster. She was the star of DKC3 after all! (And was playable more often than Donkey Kong himself in the original DKC trilogy funnily enough) If she were added into Smash 4, well sure it would have been disappointing to many K. Rool fans, but it would have given her the slot that she deserves, and make K. Rool nearly a shoo-in for this game. Plus, I'll bet that there would have been a few more K. Rool supporters, since Dixie fans would be satisfied by her inclusion, and thus be more enthusiastic in requesting the main villain to go with the three main Kongs.

As it stands though, Dixie and K. Rool seem to be in direct competition, and it really feels like it's going to be one or other, which is a shame, because both have merit. If this game were more like Smash 4, I'd be more optimistic about the chances of both getting in, but considering the size and scope of this game combined with Sakurai's statement that there won't be too many Newcomers, it does seem a bit unlikely. Like I said, I do think K. Rool has a good chance, and he may even have the edge over Dixie considering the ballot and Mii Kostume. Still though, as ecstatic as I would be if K. Rool makes it, I do think that the DK representation just wouldn't be quite complete without Dixie... But at the same time, if Dixie makes it but not K. Rool, I'll feel super bummed out about K. Rool not making the cut despite everything going for him. Aaaah, the conundrum.

What I'm hoping for is for both to get in, but for Dixie to be a semi-clone of Diddy on the level of Lucas and Falco, sharing a couple of moves and animations, but having enough unique material to properly represent her character. Hopefully that would make it possible for both to make it (Though of course the best case scenario is that both make it and and both are totally unique). Though like I said, it does seem unlikely... I'm sorry, I really don't mean to start any Dixie vs K. Rool arguments here, but it's just something that I've been thinking about and wanted to share my thoughts on.
I think it is believable to see both of them confirmed in this game and hopefully they do. I mean other Smash installments have had multiple characters introduced from the same series:

Smash 4
Kid Icarus: Palutena and Dark Pit
Fire Emblem: Robin, Lucina and Corrin
Mario: Rosalina and Bowser Jr.

Brawl
Kirby: Metaknight and Dedede
Pokémon: Trainer and Lucario

Top Bottom