• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social King K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: This...Is Our Finest Hour!

harukaamami

Smash Apprentice
I was thinking about this earlier... I made some circles on where I think some Smash characters could be on that art.

https://ibb.co/dXu0LJ

I think you should consider characters seemingly reacting to nothing. I think Wario and DDD might be reacting to King K. Rool. (Also, thanks for this. For some reason, I never considered that Robin might be showing his magic book to Ashley!)

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
I do believe K. Rool will make it in but...

They're clearly scared of Pokemon Trainer + his Pokemon. It appears that Ivysaur, Squirtle, and Charizard are all leaping towards the two. Just look again. Charizard is looking directly at Dedede and Squirtle and Ivysaur are aiming at Wario.

I think he'd be placed around Ganondorf. He is looking down at absolutely nothing and there's wiggle room to put K. Rool there.
I can see the Ganondorf area your referring too, it's a possible spot, in regards to Pokemon trainer if you look at where he is in regards to Wario and DDD, squirtles hand is over Wario which indicates Wario is slightly behind PT, none of the pokemon nor trainer himself are looking at Wario or DDD the pupils of their eyes are drawn in a forward facing position which means theyre looking straight on. The eye line doesn't match up. Squirtle's head should be cocked slightly if he was approaching Wario..

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
If the Mii costume is of any indication, K. Rool’s appearance in Smash would be based on his classic design.

And honestly, that would make me so happy because I quite frankly loathe the Paon redesign. He just looks like some fat guy with a crocodilian\frog-like face, the Rare design to me clearly looks as though he’s an anthropomorphic crocodile.

Last edited:

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
Someone made a petition for K.Rool in Smash.
I think it is a bit too early (or too late) for that, and I don't know how effective it can be.
Would have been better to have it before game's developement, or after the game is released for DLC if K.Rool is not in.
But hey I though i could still share it with you.

https://www.change.org/p/nintendo-a...yable-character-for-super-smash-bros-ultimate
I signed, just because I really want him, and any support is good support.
I don't think the petition will affect his chances at all, because if he is in the game, he will be there already, if not, we will know 7th of December.
I guess that if he is not part of the game, this could perhaps affect some DLC consideration, but not for the actual game.

SenSx

Smash Apprentice
I signed, just because I really want him, and any support is good support.
I don't think the petition will affect his chances at all, because if he is in the game, he will be there already, if not, we will know 7th of December.
I guess that if he is not part of the game, this could perhaps affect some DLC consideration, but not for the actual game.
Yea the roster is alwready decided, and the petition would have been better after release to hope for an impact on the DLC choices.
Really bad timing.

Last edited:

ZTurtle

Smash Journeyman
Hey there Kutthroats, I was more or less a lurker during the Smash 4 DLC era, but I have good memories going to this board everyday to see what fellow K. Rool fans were talking about and discussing his chances for getting in the game. It's honestly kind of nostalgic to be back on this new thread and seeing all this discussion on K. Rool again, I'm glad to be back, haha.

I really do think that K. Rool has a good shot for this game, and that's for two reasons: Ridley, and his Mii Kostume. The fact that Sakurai finally decided to try and make Ridley work in response to the outcry to his role in Smash 4 shows that he really wants to please the fans for this Ultimate installment, so I feel like he might try to tone down his own preferences and preconceptions to include characters that the fans really want. And I feel the Kroc the Vote movement made its impact. I bet that the votes played a big part in us getting the K. Rool costume at all, because why would he make a so called "irrelevant" character a Mii Costume unless he knew that there was demand? And considering the fan-pleasing nature of Ultimate from what we've seen so far, I'll bet that our votes weren't in vain. I'm sorry, I know that other people have pretty much stated what I just said here, but I just wanted to give my two cents on the subject. I know I shouldn't be too optimistic, but I really do think he's got a decent chance.

Though I also think that Ridley and the Kostume can give us an idea of what K. Rool's design could look like if he's included. Ridley's design in SSBU is pretty much a mix between his Super Metroid and Other M design, with the spikes and more humanoid proportions from Other M, with the face and most other general details coming from Super Metroid. And the Kostume shows that the Rare design hasn't been forgotten by Sakurai. So I have a feeling that K. Rool's Smash design may actually feature cues from both the Rare and Paon K. Rool. I do think that like Ridley it would put more emphasis on his classic design, like the gold belly, the tail, and facial structure, but with legs that are further apart from each other and beefier arms like the Paon design. While I do much prefer the Rare design, I do think that the Paon one looks a little easier to animate, so yeah.

Last edited:

Mccdbz5

Smash Journeyman
If the Mii costume is of any indication, K. Rool’s appearance in Smash would be based on his classic design.

And honestly, that would make me so happy because I quite frankly loathe the Paon redesign. He just looks like some fat guy with a crocodilian\frog-like face, the Rare design to me clearly looks as though he’s an anthropomorphic crocodile.
I second this. I was not a fan of the Paon design whatsoever. It reminds me of the crocodile from Peter Pan or something haha. He just looks so goofy and uninspired to me. Like they just changed him for the sake of changing him. Which is strange to me because I feel like I hear more people saying they prefer the Paon design. The Rare design had so much character to it; the overemphasized bloodshot eye, the gold plate stomach, the terrifying look that he has on his face. I'm assuming if they add him it will in fact be his Rare design, due to the Mii costume like you said, and also that it seems that just about everything they take from the Donkey Kong franchise is from the Country games themselves. I don't know that I've spotted many Paon references other than the trophies.

Last edited:

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
You know what above all else I want in his moveset? Not the krown, not the kannon balls, not even the kopter. I want the death roll.

For those that do not know, the death roll is a feeding activity in krocodilians. Basically they tense up, and roll at high speeds to highly damage their prey. I would love to see K Rool reference this, I just feel him doing it would be in line with his unhinged character.

Laniv

Smash Champion
You know what above all else I want in his moveset? Not the krown, not the kannon balls, not even the kopter. I want the death roll.

For those that do not know, the death roll is a feeding activity in krocodilians. Basically they tense up, and roll at high speeds to highly damage their prey. I would love to see K Rool reference this, I just feel him doing it would be in line with his unhinged character.
That'd make a nice grab+pummel. Just grab them in his jaws and roll around!

Koopaul

Smash Champion
It might not even be Paon's design, just because Paon was the first to use it doesn't mean they were the one's who designed it. But for the sake of convenience I'll call it that.

I'd say Paon's K. Rool is more expressive. However I'd say the best part about Paon's K. Rool is that his anatomy doesn't look awful. I'm sorry but Rare's K. Rool had a terrible looking Mr. Potato Head body where limbs would just unnnaturally poke out of this blorb torso. Now look at the modern K. Rool. Look at how his pectorals are properly aligned with his arms. Look at how his neck and head look like they align with his spin and not in a deformed way. And most importantly, look at how his legs connect to his hips. They don't just pop out from the bottom of his torso.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
It might not even be Paon's design, just because Paon was the first to use it doesn't mean they were the one's who designed it. But for the sake of convenience I'll call it that.

I'd say Paon's K. Rool is more expressive. However I'd say the best part about Paon's K. Rool is that his anatomy doesn't look awful. I'm sorry but Rare's K. Rool had a terrible looking Mr. Potato Head body where limbs would just unnnaturally poke out of this blorb torso. Now look at the modern K. Rool. Look at how his pectorals are properly aligned with his arms. Look at how his neck and head look like they align with his spin and not in a deformed way. And most importantly, look at how his legs connect to his hips. They don't just pop out from the bottom of his torso.
I mean... Paon used it in King Of Swing in 2005, two years before JC. Not sure why it wouldn't be theirs.

I agree that the design looks less stiff, but I imagine modern rendering techniques would make that moot. This ain't 1994. I think the costume is the best (theoretical) design he's had yet.

Last edited:

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
Honestly, I would take Paon K. Rool over no K. Rool. It’s far from ideal; I really like the giant krown, darker skin, and gold belly of the Rare Era. At the end of the day, though, I care more about him being playable in Smash and returning to the spotlight than I do about what what he looks like.

That said, I think the design used for the Mii Costume would probably be what Sakurai would go with for the full character. If he cared enough to create a great new model just for a Mii costume, there’s no reason he wouldn’t go the distance should he choose K. Rool.

Last edited:

JayJay55

Smash Journeyman
I’d honestly like to see some sort of mock-up for K. Rool’s design that combines elements from both Rare and Paon (As this might be the case if he gets confirmed since it happened for Ridley). I think MarioKing64DS’s mod of K. Rool is somewhat close to that, however, it has too many Paon elements, if it just had a some more features from Rare’s design to balance it out, it might’ve been an excellent hybrid.

Last edited:

GAINAX

Smash Journeyman
They've been using the newer designs of Cranky and Dixie in all the new DK games and Smash trophies, so I don't see why K Rool's playable character model would be any different. Even though I prefer his old look, his new design would just be more consistent with everything else that's Donkey Kong.

Last edited:

K. Drool

Smash Rookie
I think it is a bit too early (or too late) for that, and I don't know how effective it can be.
Would have been better to have it before game's developement, or after the game is released for DLC if K.Rool is not in.

https://www.change.org/p/nintendo-a...yable-character-for-super-smash-bros-ultimate
Already signed. It might not change much though, but I'd encourage everyone to fill it out. Takes a couple of seconds and may increase the likelihood of him being included in Ultimate.
Here's to hoping he gets in!

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
They've been using the newer designs of Cranky and Dixie in all the new DK games and Smash trophies, so I don't see why K Rool's playable character model would be any different. Even though I prefer his old look, his new design would just be more consistent with everything else that's Donkey Kong.
They actually don't use the modern design for DK characters in Smash Bros. DK seems like an entirely new design that is like a feral version of his OG country design. And Diddy looks straight out of DKC2/DK64.

For K. Rool specifically, the first major acknowledgment of the character by Sakurai showed K. Rool portrayed using his Rare era design.

I think if K. Rool gets in, his Rare era design will be the one they will use.

Dixie is the only one I'm not sure about.

Mccdbz5

Smash Journeyman
Not in Smash, though. Look at Diddy Kong for example. He completely favors his appearance in the SNES games more so than he does in any of the other Donkey Kong games. And I don't see why they would've modeled King K. Rool's Mii costume design from the original Country games if that were the case. Especially when they probably could've just used assets from his trophy to make the costume if they were going based off the newer design. Obviously, none of us have any idea what design will be used if he ends up making it in. I just think that most signs are pointing to it being the Rare design if anything.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I think you should consider characters seemingly reacting to nothing. I think Wario and DDD might be reacting to King K. Rool. (Also, thanks for this. For some reason, I never considered that Robin might be showing his magic book to Ashley!)
Wario and DDD look like they're reacting to Pokemon Trainer.

I think using this to determine the amount of characters or where certain characters can fit in is a bit of a stretch. Since they have full control of the image (it'll be a file with each character on a separate layer) they can move characters around and resize them with very little effort. Not saying that they will end up resizing characters, but it's absolutely something they can do.

Last edited:

Questionmark222

Smash Journeyman

I signed. I don't care if it affects his chances or not, I just want to show my support for K. Rool, as he's my most-wanted newcomer (tied with Rayman).

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
I think K. Rool will end up in a Ridley situation, Sakurai will redesign the character since he hasnt had a proper appearance in 10 years. The mii costume is a step in that direction.. he will more than likely take the best elements of the PAON and Rare designs. The facial features of the Rare K. Rool with a shorter snout, big crown, golden belly and tail, the proportions of the PAON K. Rool, bigger arms, spaced out legs, more of an egg shaped frame. It would be a best both world's design. Easier to animate body wise but great call backs to his origins. No reason he wouldn't do this for K. Rool given he's done this for Megaman, Ridley, Duck Hunt Dog, etc.

I see some saying PAON is more expressive in the face, while I don't completely disagree Bowser doesn't leave much for expression on his face, most of his expressive feature's are in his eyes and his eye brows, similarly Rare K. Rools facial features would focus on his eyes for expressions, he's demented anyway so his expressive range isn't too much ha ha

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
I agree I feel a mixture of Rare and Paon design is for the best. Rare design to me feels a little bit dated/EXTREME 90's. HOWEVER the Paon design feels a little too "light" so combine the two and it would be perfect for me. HOWEVER I'd just take him in the game no matter what at this point. Give him his tail, big crown, and scaley body of the Rare design but keep everything else Paon.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I still like his Kaptain design the best. Maybe he could have alternate costumes.

farvin111

Smash Journeyman
Does anyone else get the feeling Sakurai has added all the characters he wanted back in smash 4? Like, smash 4 was perfect in that regard. Glaring omissions were satisfied, like Villager (AC is way too huge to ignore now), Little Mac (well known semi-retro), Duck Hunt (imo, he was always a deserving iconic character), Bowser Jr, Pac-Man, Mega Man, etc. And then you have additions that were previously only in our wildest dreams, notably Cloud.

Since then, especially between March and E3 of this year, I realized just how small the barrel of "Nintendo All-Stars" has gotten. Like, is there anyone else? That's why I believe the ballot has as big of a role as it does. With almost no one left as a glaring omission, Sakurai has only C-list characters and/or fan demanded characters, so the ballot gave him the information he needed. Ridley happens to cover both criteria of high demand and Nintendo All-Star status and that's why he made it in. A third DK rep is what I'd consider one of the few glaring omissions left. Two reps from a highly successful series for two (or three) whole games? That's crazy, Sakurai.

And this is why K. Rool has his best chance ever. With the pool of newcomers fast diminishing, you can't avoid it anymore, Sakurai! (well he can, by adding Dixie and/or Funky instead, but shhh)

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
The only known character known to be wanted by Sakurai himself yet to be playable is Geno. And that's it.
We have a lot of things going for us, and I really hope this will be time we get him inn.

IMainKingKRool

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NYEH_HEH_HEH
Best-case scenario, we get King, Kaptain, Baron, and King Krusha all as alternate costumes. He'd absolutely borrow moves from all of his boss fights if they want to make him true to himself, so they might as well bring in the outfits as well. Best-best case scenario, we get King, Kaptain, Baron, and King Krusha each with one color swap to round him up to eight costumes.
If we get stuck with just one swap besides King it'll almost surely be Kaptain, since DKC2 is so beloved.
Eight recolors of King would be disappointing, but at least it would make it easier to incorporate color swaps based on his minions.

StormC

Smash Hero
I cannot imagine K. Rool missing at least his Kaptain outfit. Cloud, Bayonetta and Ridley set a precedent. I wouldn’t count on Baron and Krusha though.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Baron feels like something that would be a pleasant surprise at best, but given we've waited ages for even a ****ing DKC3 remix, it seems to be asking a lot. Oh well, here's hoping.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
I'm willing to bet that if K. Rool is in, he's using his Rare design.

When they had to put any thought into his design (MF costume), that's the design they went for.

mynameisBlade

Smash Lord
So is Diddy really the ONLY Western developed character in Smash Bros at this point or is there a few more I am not thinking of? That would make K. Rool #2 if so.. Any light on this?

I wonder how much harder it actually is trying to get a Western made character compared to the norm... Would it really be that much more work to where Sakurai wouldn't want to mess with it. Took us 2 games after Smash 64 just to get Diddy. Maybe 2 games after Brawl we'll get K. Rool.

Here's hoping!

Last edited:

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
So is Diddy really the ONLY Western developed character in Smash Bros at this point or is there a few more I am not thinking of? That would make K. Rool #2 if so.. Any light on this?

I wonder how much harder it actually is trying to get a Western made character compared to the norm... Would it really be that much more work to where Sakurai wouldn't want to mess with it. Took us 2 games after Smash 64 just to get Diddy. Maybe 2 games after Brawl we'll get K. Rool.

Here's hoping!
Actually ... K. Rool would be the first from Europe.

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
I realized just how small the barrel of "Nintendo All-Stars" has gotten. Like, is there anyone else? That's why I believe the ballot has as big of a role as it does. With almost no one left as a glaring omission, Sakurai has only C-list characters and/or fan demanded characters
I'm actually of the opinion that there's a good number of prominent first-party characters remaining. No A-listers anymore, but that makes sense at this point in time. I still think there are several highly notable picks left, though. Ridley and Inkling were both top of that list, and Daisy is definitely very recognizable to the average Nintendo fan. Beyond that, you have Toad/Captain Toad, Waluigi (most of the regular Mario cast, honestly), Paper Mario, classic Ganon, Dixie Kong, Cranky Kong, several of the more popular Pokémon, Isabelle, Ashley (especially where Japanese popularity is concerned), a couple retro characters like the Balloon Fighter and Excitebike guy, Isaac (probably a C-lister but no more obscure than Shulk was when he got in), Slippy Toad, Bandana Waddle Dee, and of course K. Rool. That's an entire game's worth of newcomers right there, and that's not even taking into account how Nintendo will always be creating new popular characters and how older characters will sometimes become more prominent and recognizable over time. A lot of people see the well as running dry, but I think that's only if you try to compare potential newcomers to juggernauts like Mario/Link/etc. There's still a good amount of Meta Knight/Ike/Little Mac-level characters left out there.

With that said, though, I do think the ballot was intended as a means to influence this game's roster, as we are now at a point where character inclusions aren't quite as obvious anymore and require more scrutiny to narrow down. Obviously, Mario and Link were top-priority shoo-ins back in 64, but it's a lot harder to weigh characters that are more secondary or tertiary in Nintendo's library. Taking fan requests into account can help streamline the selection process. Which is why I'm more confident about K. Rool than I was with Smash 4, which seemed to draw primarily from cross-promotion for its newcomer decisions.

As for the debate over the design they'd use? Well, I do actually like the Paon design. It's cartoony and fits with the modern DK aesthetic, though the classic Rare design has that juxtaposition of goofy and gritty that made the SNES DKCs so memorable. I think that a mix of the two would be best, and that's what I would expect to see. The Mii costume hints at more of a Rare influence, but I wouldn't be surprised (or disappointed) if they took some cues from the Paon design's anatomy and facial expressions. I don't have a preference either way whether he should have the golden gut, but I do want the larger crown and the tail. Though really, I just agree with everyone saying they'll embrace his inclusion whatever he looks like. He can be 1:1 with the Paon design and I'll gladly take it at this point. Playable K. Rool in any form would be phenomenal.

mynameisBlade

Smash Lord
Actually ... K. Rool would be the first from Europe.
Oh boy... I wonder if that has created some sort of "not worth it to mess with" problem for Sakurai every time he thinks about it... I'd hope not. These are the things I want Sakurai to talk about IF we do get the King this time. I want him to have his own little video and have Sakurai talk about the following:

How long he has been requested.
The design process of getting him in the game.
How hard was he to implement.
Where did he pull for inspiration.
And if he isn't in Smash Ultimate....then just why, would be all I'd want to know at that point.

Ridley got an explanation of why he wasn't included at least twice I think. I expect the same for K. Rool and maybe even Geno this time if they are not added with all the popularity/fan outcry they have. Especially K. Rool. I have seen his name mentioned more now than ever before. No matter what site talks about Smash newcomers, K. Rool is always on the list or mentioned. Almost EVERY TIME.

It warms my heart just knowing that he is on so many peoples' minds now.

Last edited:
Top Bottom