• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social King K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: This...Is Our Finest Hour!

StormC

Smash Hero
I think it just boils down to Nintendo not having a lot of western developers. Who else would be added?

Krystal?
Dark Samus?
Sylux?

DK's negligence as a franchise stems more from Sakurai just not having any passion for it.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
I don't really think the location has too much about it, but somewhere it was stated that he found it easier to work with Japanese developers, if we are to believe Source Gaming. However, just seeing how far Sakurai and his team went to make that Mii Costume, must have proven that the character must be realizable, popular, and worth doing something with.

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
The point about working with japanese developers sounds relevant for Non Nintendo IP (third party), negotiating rights and how to present the character in Smash. K. Rool and the rest of the Rare era DKC characters, although european made, are now Nintendo first party characters. So I doubt he even has to communicate with anybody outside of japan for them. Same with Krystal.

mynameisBlade

Smash Lord
Oh that is true. Now that I think of it. We did get Krystal in her Starfox Adventures attire as an AT. It may be no trouble at all for him to add K. Rool. Simply bringing Snake back to Ultimate from Brawl might have been a harder undertaking than possibly putting K. Rool in Smash in the future.

StormC

Smash Hero
All Sakurai needs to do is look at how K. Rool is portrayed in the DKC series. The development team that made those games have been scattered over the last two decades. There is no central authority on the character as it stands; K. Rool has had more than enough appearances that deciding his look and characteristics in Smash should be relatively simple.

Dru2

Hail to the King
NNID
DruetheDruid
3DS FC
0189-9845-3398
Man even if we don't get K. Rool, I'm just so ****ing excited for this game. This is the first time I've been excited for a Smash game in so long. Smash 4 really didn't interest me much, as I knew the gameplay was going to be similar to Brawl's, they cut some of my favorite characters (Mewtwo made DLC at least) and it just didn't look as packed with new and exciting content as I wanted. But holy hell this game's already got twice the content 4 did, the gameplay looks much faster and more offense based, they brought literally everyone back aND ****ING RIDLEY, and it's looking like DK's finally going to get some more respect for his series. As much as it would disappoint me if K. Rool didn't get in, I can't stop this hype, I just ****ing love Super Smash Brothers.

Riding the Hype Train™ until December

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
I had an interesting thought. What if K. Rool is our very last reveal before launch? Think how poetic that would be. Two of the most requested yet shunned newcomers, their fanbases seemingly intertwined by an invisible link, being revealed in a manner to bookend the speculation era of the most grandiose Smash game in history.

Of course, I'd rather see him as soon as possible, but it'd be neat to see that happen.

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
I feel like we will get a leak like what happened with Smash 4 at some point soon... Smash is the sort of game that always leaks out eventually and based on how popular K. Rool is right now, even more so with Ridley in I feel like there's a lot of focus on him so if any leaker worth talking about catches wind of his inclusion we will hear about it fast..

i made it and just finished it today as a promo to the k rool campaign, its not a leak but these 3 i made awhile back are leaks...though half of the 3 fake leaks are correct they are still fake and i only made em to test people and made sure to disprove em if they were beleived...happy to say about 70% of people knew they were fake and the other 30 beleived....pretty good numbers
Where’d you find this? There’s hardly been any decently looking leaks this time around and frankly it’s been kinda boring.

Attachments

Last edited:

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
i made it and just finished it today as a promo to the k rool campaign, its not a leak but these 3 i made awhile back are leaks
Welp, Daisy is confirmed. These must be 100% legit guys, our king's playable.

Nice work. I remember seeing them earlier, they are decent for fakes, but the blurry effect bothers me with most fakes.

Last edited:
Welp, Daisy is confirmed. These must be 100% legit guys, our king's playable.

Nice work. I remember seeing them earlier, they are decent for fakes, but the blurry effect bothers me with most fakes.
i know, the blurr bothers me too but i needed it to hide some obvious details that would disprove it....making it blurry kinda made things mesh together better.....and you know all leaks have to be blurry cliche

TheTreasonousSnowmad

Smash Journeyman
Baron feels like something that would be a pleasant surprise at best, but given we've waited ages for even a ****ing DKC3 remix, it seems to be asking a lot. Oh well, here's hoping.
So, I have to ask, was it confirmed that it was a DKC3 remix? Dixie Beat and Bonus Room Blitz have the same melody, but different intros and the intro isn't shown in Diddy's trailer, so it could be either. Frankly, I'd think they'd pull from DKC.

GAINAX

Smash Journeyman
I took this photo in trophy mode a few years ago, when the Smash Ballot first got announced. Something about it just warms my heart, seeing the DKC characters reunited after so long. When put together like this, I think his new design blends in quite well with how Diddy and DK are represented in the game.

I might just start spamming this image at Sakurai's Twitter account. Surely this is enough to convince him we need K. Rool in Smash eh? ; )

Last edited:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
So, I have to ask, was it confirmed that it was a DKC3 remix? Dixie Beat and Bonus Room Blitz have the same melody, but different intros and the intro isn't shown in Diddy's trailer, so it could be either. Frankly, I'd think they'd pull from DKC.
I think we confirmed there was at least a riff or jingle in it that only appears in Dixie Beat, but I guess we'll see?

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Man even if we don't get K. Rool, I'm just so ****ing excited for this game. This is the first time I've been excited for a Smash game in so long. Smash 4 really didn't interest me much, as I knew the gameplay was going to be similar to Brawl's, they cut some of my favorite characters (Mewtwo made DLC at least) and it just didn't look as packed with new and exciting content as I wanted. But holy hell this game's already got twice the content 4 did, the gameplay looks much faster and more offense based, they brought literally everyone back aND ****ING RIDLEY, and it's looking like DK's finally going to get some more respect for his series. As much as it would disappoint me if K. Rool didn't get in, I can't stop this hype, I just ****ing love Super Smash Brothers.

Riding the Hype Train™ until December
I will be honest here. I came into Smash Ultimate with some pretty low expectations (I was more curious for what direction that they were going to take the game as opposed to characters I was looking forward to seeing).

When I first saw Squirtle and Ivysaur were coming back in the trailer (two veterans I whom I was really doubtful about their return), I became absolutely intrigued and excited (because I believed they were both unique characters that deserved far more support than what they were getting). When Snake appeared on scene with the caption "EVERYONE IS HERE!", I literally let out a small gasp. Seeing Pichu (another veteran I doubted would return), and Roy confirmed as well (a veteran I spent a lot of the pre-Smash 4 period supporting), that I realized this was going to be something special. Towards the end when I saw that even Young Link was coming back (a veteran nearly everyone thought would never return to the series), it really became clear that this game was going to be a celebration of the entire Smash Bros. series as a whole. My hype just from seeing everyone who was ever playable in the Smash Bros. series return (something I actually wanted to see, but thought it was pretty unlikely to happen) made me experience a level of hype I had not felt since 2006 when Brawl had been unveiled. This was truly Ultimate. Bravo Sakurai and the Smash Bros. Ultimate Team!

Ridley being confirmed (my number one most wanted newcomer for nearly 20 years) is what made my hype go further beyond.

Now I am just interested to see who else is added in at this point, and anxiously anticipating Ultimate like I had with 64, Melee, Brawl, and Smash 4. Hopefully, you guys will get what you are asking for as well. The three protagonists of the DKC trilogy (DK, Diddy Kong, and Dixie Kong) up against their ever constant alterego shifting arch-nemesis, will truly make this game feel as though "EVERYONE IS HERE!".

I am already happy and thrilled with the roster, but I do admit DK still has a hole that needs to be filled that are DK shaped:
Dixie Kong
K. Rool

ZTurtle

Smash Journeyman
I took this photo in trophy mode a few years ago, when the Smash Ballot first got announced. Something about it just warms my heart, seeing the DKC characters reunited after so long. When put together like this, I think his new design blends in quite well with how Diddy and DK are represented in the game.

I might just start spamming this image at Sakurai's Twitter account. Surely this is enough to convince him we need K. Rool in Smash eh? ; )

Haha, pics like that really do warm me up to the Paon K. Rool. Give him a gold belly, a tail, and maybe a slightly flatter snout, and I have no complaints with the design.

Untouch

Smash Master
I know I'm grasping for straws here, but I noticed that only half of the DK series stages have been confirmed for returning.
Along with that, the Pirate Ship stage hasn't been confirmed yet either, if K-Rool was going to have a stage of his own, it'd likely be the galleon.

ZTurtle

Smash Journeyman
Now I am just interested to see who else is added in at this point, and anxiously anticipating Ultimate like I had with 64, Melee, Brawl, and Smash 4. Hopefully, you guys will get what you are asking for as well. The three protagonists of the DKC trilogy (DK, Diddy Kong, and Dixie Kong) up against their ever constant alterego shifting arch-nemesis, will truly make this game feel as though "EVERYONE IS HERE!".

I am already happy and thrilled with the roster, but I do admit DK still has a hole that needs to be filled that are DK shaped:
Dixie Kong
K. Rool
I'm totally with you there. Honestly, I really wish that Dixie was either a newcomer in Smash 4, or a tag team with Diddy like originally intended. I may be more aligned towards K. Rool, but I really do think Dixie deserves a spot on the roster. She was the star of DKC3 after all! (And was playable more often than Donkey Kong himself in the original DKC trilogy funnily enough) If she were added into Smash 4, well sure it would have been disappointing to many K. Rool fans, but it would have given her the slot that she deserves, and make K. Rool nearly a shoo-in for this game. Plus, I'll bet that there would have been a few more K. Rool supporters, since Dixie fans would be satisfied by her inclusion, and thus be more enthusiastic in requesting the main villain to go with the three main Kongs.

As it stands though, Dixie and K. Rool seem to be in direct competition, and it really feels like it's going to be one or other, which is a shame, because both have merit. If this game were more like Smash 4, I'd be more optimistic about the chances of both getting in, but considering the size and scope of this game combined with Sakurai's statement that there won't be too many Newcomers, it does seem a bit unlikely. Like I said, I do think K. Rool has a good chance, and he may even have the edge over Dixie considering the ballot and Mii Kostume. Still though, as ecstatic as I would be if K. Rool makes it, I do think that the DK representation just wouldn't be quite complete without Dixie... But at the same time, if Dixie makes it but not K. Rool, I'll feel super bummed out about K. Rool not making the cut despite everything going for him. Aaaah, the conundrum.

What I'm hoping for is for both to get in, but for Dixie to be a semi-clone of Diddy on the level of Lucas and Falco, sharing a couple of moves and animations, but having enough unique material to properly represent her character. Hopefully that would make it possible for both to make it (Though of course the best case scenario is that both make it and and both are totally unique). Though like I said, it does seem unlikely... I'm sorry, I really don't mean to start any Dixie vs K. Rool arguments here, but it's just something that I've been thinking about and wanted to share my thoughts on.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
My thought has always been if K. Rool does not get into the game (and perhaps if Dixie does), it is because Sakurai doesn't see the value in adding him, not because another character took his slot. I don't see why Sakurai would add a character with a fraction of K. Rool's popularity instead of him, K. Rool will be judged on his own merits.

Plus if Dixie is in the base game and K. Rool isn't, the waiting game for DLC begins... again. Oi. I really think if K. Rool misses out we will get a statement from Sakurai... and it will probably be for a not-so-great reason. I just worry that this will be the last Smash for a very long time and I want this over with.

TheTreasonousSnowmad

Smash Journeyman
What I'm hoping for is for both to get in, but for Dixie to be a semi-clone of Diddy on the level of Lucas and Falco, sharing a couple of moves and animations, but having enough unique material to properly represent her character. Hopefully that would make it possible for both to make it. Though like I said, it does seem unlikely... I'm sorry, I really don't mean to start any Dixie vs K. Rool arguments here, but it's just something that I've been thinking about and wanted to share my thoughts on.
It's fine. K. Rool can have a Dixie costume with a blonde ponytail wig and a pink shirt and hat and then everyone will be happy.

ZTurtle

Smash Journeyman
bjw.png

I always felt that this fan made render of the King is how I'd like for him to look in Smash. It has the more crocodillian head, big Krown, gold belly, and stouter proportions that I like about the Rare design, but the legs are further apart with more defined thighs to make for a smoother running animation and he's a bit rounder to make him look a little less stiff. The only thing that I feel is lacking about it is the lack of a tail, and that it looks a little too gentle for an unhinged villain like K. Rool. Slap a tail on him and give him some grungier textures, and I think that it would make for a great looking K. Rool.

Last edited:

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
View attachment 149172
I always felt that this fan made render of the King is how I'd like for him to look in Smash. It has the more crocodillian head, big Krown, gold belly, and stouter proportions that I like about the Rare design, but the legs are further apart with more defined thighs to make for a smoother running animation and he's a bit rounder to make him look a little less stiff. The only thing that I feel is lacking about it is the lack of a tail, and that it looks a little too gentle for an unhinged villain like K. Rool. Slap a tail on him and give him some grungier textures, and I think that it would make for a great looking K. Rool.
Pretty sure he has a tail in that render, he's just so girthy you can't see it. A lot of the rare K. Rool art was like that.

MattOnwheels

Smash Ace
Word! TAIL OR BUS! Tellin' you right now, if I see that weird ass Aztech thing around his neck, im gonna go Krazy!!

Vez

Smash Apprentice
My thought has always been if K. Rool does not get into the game (and perhaps if Dixie does), it is because Sakurai doesn't see the value in adding him, not because another character took his slot. I don't see why Sakurai would add a character with a fraction of K. Rool's popularity instead of him, K. Rool will be judged on his own merits..
Yeah, I agree with this. I don't think there's some sort of battle between the two characters, both of them are just fighting for their own newcomer slot. Being from the same franchise is irrelevant.

Though I'm hoping Sakurai noticed that a lot of people thought Donkey Kong was "underrepresented" in For and it ends up being enough for him to push the button and finally add both of them.

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
You know what, my opinion has softened on K. Rool a little.

If he gets in... good. Good for you guys. I'm in a good mood so I'll support his royal fatness. Why not? We could use more villains as well as more super heavyweights. Would be nice to see him mix it up with Snake and Bayonetta who have exploited gators for their own ends (Snake has eaten alligators, and Bayonetta likely wears fashionable boots made out of gator hide).

Last edited:

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
I'm caustically optimistic about K. Rool getting in as a fighter. I imagine character requests will be a more prominent deciding factor this time around, and K. Rool is probably the most wanted Nintendo character who is not playable at this point... well maybe aside from a certain assist trophy.

I still want to temper expectations though, because the last few times I got my hopes up it ended in disappointment, and I want to avoid that from happening again. I still worry that him not having a major role in many years will hurt his chances. That being said I think now is the best chance he's ever had at being playable... though I said that the last few times, and look how that turned out. :p

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
You know what, my opinion has softened on K. Rool a little.

If he gets in... good. Good for you guys. I'm in a good mood so I'll support his royal fatness. Why not? We could use more villains as well as more super heavyweights.
Glad you approve, welcome to the crew.

DarkFoxTeam

Smash Journeyman
I'd peg Ashley as the "Japan Support" option. Granted, none of us know the full results, but you know she's big over there. That leaves K.Rool open for 'worldwide' status. Also, I don't know if Rids got in from the ballot since a lot of people didn't vote him since the US version said it was only DLC, and Ridley was already on Pyrosphere. Sakurai definitely knew about his populartiy from other channels though.

There's a good chance K.Rool may have topped the ballot in the US, and possibly even Japan. And if so, there's no reason not to include him.
Ashley certainly is popular in Japan (which is great because I also really want her), but if Source Gaming is anything to go by (along with 2chan and Smash-Matome) then it stands to reason that K. Rool would be their most requested character. If not K. Rool then it'd likely go to a 4th Kirby rep like Bandanna Dee or Magolor. I definitely do agree on the Worldwide popularity though. I just hope Sakurai noticed that when working on Ultimate.

View attachment 149172
this is also my favorite render of king k rool, i have a better quality one aswell
Best King K.Rool Render figurine version.jpg

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
I still think it's incredible that a character that hasn't really been in the public's mind since the 90s or been in a video game period since the 2000s has been a Smash frontrunner all these years. It speaks to how enduring the franchise is that people are so vocal about wanting its main villain to return... and how few big time characters are left at this point.

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
this is also my favorite render of king k rool, i have a better quality one aswellView attachment 149192
Now that is King K. Rool. And all his limbs look nice. See, that's fixable from the old K. Rool model.

Paon K. Rool's issues aren't as fixable. Because it's not just the golden belly and bigger crown, it's his entire face that's different. So if you change that, might as well use the original K. Rool model.

Would look better though to have the cape over the chestplate and connecting at the gem.

Interestingly, I think Rare's design for the Kritters for DK64 actually made them look like the Paon K. Rool design .

While Paon themselves restored the Kritters to a DKC1/DKC2 look. Don't like that.

And those Kritters match the original K. Rool even better! One of the Paon designs that I really like.

Last edited:

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
Now that is King K. Rool. And all his limbs look nice. See, that's fixable from the old K. Rool model.

Paon K. Rool's issues aren't as fixable. Because it's not just the golden belly and bigger crown, it's his entire face that's different. So if you change that, might as well use the original K. Rool model.

Would look better though to have the cape over the chestplate and connecting at the gem.

Interestingly, I think Rare's design for the Kritters for DK64 actually made them look like the Paon K. Rool design .

While Paon themselves restored the Kritters to a DKC1/DKC2 look. Don't like that.

And those Kritters match the original K. Rool even better! One of the Paon designs that I really like.
I prefer the Kritters DK64 look better because they look more like crocodiles instead of snakes or lizards but PAON's is still good too.

Takasmash

Smash Ace
If K Rool reveal in smash ultimate will we get Gangplank Galleon as a stage or Tropical Freeze sense we got allot returning stages granted we dont know if they all returning thats has not been official wouldn't surprise if we get 5 or 8 six new stages.

Top Bottom