• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Justice Always Triumphs." - Ryu Hayabusa for Smash Switch! (Ninja Gaiden/Dead or Alive)

RETROROTER

Smash Journeyman
It’s getting a little intense in here how about we calm down and remember too speculate with kindness and respect towards one another and too also respect another persons opinion on the matter of Smash Speculation
Visitors of Spiral Mountain 21.jpg

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
Well, I'm definitely not giving up. As long as at least one of my MWs still has a chance, I still have a lot of hope.
I wouldn't say that I've given up. I just decided that I don't care anymore. I'm over the Smash fanbase's petty behavior and acting like spoiled children when they don't get their way! Especially when they're so blind at how good they've got it when compared to other fighting games. "85 characters? 114 stages? Tons of game modes? 1000+ music tracks? Nah, that doesn't matter, let's just spend a year plus talking about 1 or 2 characters that I don't like and judge the ENTIRE game by it!" Or the fact the people still take obviously fake leaks as gospel despite ALL of them being proven false for the last couple of years. I'm just... so done with it all. Smash Ultimate is a rare example of something where everything somehow appeals to me, and that's why I'm so passionate about it. Now, I barely care about the final character. Even if it's someone I like, they're just going to be hated for the simple fact that they're the last character, so it's going to taint whatever joy I might have at the reveal.

Last edited:

Nesysli

Smash Apprentice
I wouldn't say that I've given up. I just decided that I don't care anymore. I'm over the Smash fanbase's petty behavior and acting like spoiled children when they don't get their way! Especially when they're so blind at how good they've got it when compared to other fighting games. "85 characters? 114 stages? Tons of game modes? 1000+ music tracks? Nah, that doesn't matter, let's just spend a year plus talking about 1 or 2 characters that I don't like and judge the ENTIRE game by it!" Or the fact the people still take obviously fake leaks as gospel despite ALL of them being proven false for the last couple of years. I'm just... so done with it all. Smash Ultimate is a rare example of something where everything somehow appeals to me, and that's why I'm so passionate about it... until now. Now, I barely care about the final character. Even if it's someone I like, they're just going to be hated for the simple fact that they're the last character, so it's going to taint whatever joy I might have at the reveal.
This is how I honestly feel too my friend. I love Smash Bros/Nintendo and I pretty much love every DLC character they added in except for like 2. But even then I don't go onto forums hating them because they don't appeal to me but I can understand why Nintendo chose them and they appeal to someone. It's honestly why I never come to Smashboards, Smashgamefaqs, Smash Reddit, etc; just a bunch of spoiled adults who want to hate what someone else likes and they want their opinion validated. Like some kind of religious cult. But there are cool people mixed in. For me, I have more than enough cool characters and content to satisfy me in this game but some people just want more and more. I'm honestly glad that DLC is ending and I really mind who the last one is either. But just remember my friend, the haters are the minority and there are a lot more people out there who love Smash Ultimate who don't go onto forums to spread what they dislike.

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
Sakurai-San and Harada-San have an awesome conversation about many things! https://youtu.be/qiPskldhmpg
Yeah, I noticed that Sakurai said that he tries not to connect with other games because people will always think its character is going to be in Smash. He had mentioned this before in a previous interview.

This goes right into what I've been saying about him not wanting to set up speculations or expectations about characters being in and instead, want to catch people by surprise.

It kind of also has me wondering if that's why he never mentioned where he played an early copy of Fire Emblem Three Houses. If it came out he played this at the Koei Tecmo office, then that would probably explain why.

Last edited:

Bobthealligator

Smash Ace
Well I mean it’s not like this hasn’t happened before I guess
View attachment 308509
In a vacuum it's a very similar circumstance, and at first I was thinking it sounded like a pretty non-answer. But then they repeated it multiple times over the cause of one week and my thought became: "They are drawing way too much attention to this statement for Hayabusa to actually be in Smash".

Sakurai needs to drink more water though, no wonder he's had to take an IV drip into work.

Last edited:

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
Has anyone noticed a lack of Smash leak news as of late? Everyone must've finally given up on the leak speak after 2 years of them trusting all the obviously fake ones. There only being one fighter left now also probably had something to do with it too.

Honestly, I'm happy if that's the case.

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
Has anyone noticed a lack of Smash leak news as of late? Everyone must've finally given up on the leak speak after 2 years of them trusting all the obviously fake ones. There only being one fighter left now also probably had something to do with it too.

Honestly, I'm happy if that's the case.
It could also be because Nintendo is preventing all these leaks from happening. They seem to be very careful about how people are finding these things out.

Though, I wouldn't mind anything that points to Hayabusa getting in.

Last edited:

JudgeHeihachi

Smash Apprentice
After having my long lasting wish of a Tekken character in Smash granted, Haybusa is definitely my current most wanted now.
Between his classic trilogy, the Dead or Alive series, and the modern Sigma games, he has a lot of great music and moveset potential to choose from. His numerous weapons, his Ninpo spells, and his martial arts along the iconic Izuna Drop from DoA would make for a fun and varied moveset.

And I still think it's weird that after all this years there hasn't been any non co-owned content from Koei Tecmo in Smash. Not even as spirits or Mii costumes. There's the Fatal Frame assist trophy but Nintendo seems to co-own or at least have helped funding the Wii U title, and the Hyrule Warriors and Persona Strikers spirits which of course belong to Nintendo and Sega/Atlus respectively.

With how close Nintendo and Koei Tecmo have been since a decade you'd think that if a fighter wasn't in the cards they'd at least get some Mii Costumes for some of their characters. Their collaboration since that time with Nintendo include developing Metroid Other M (which resulted in a Metroid stage being in DoA Dimensions), all three versions of the original Hyrule Warriors, Fire Emblem Warriors, Fire Emblem Three Houses, and Hyrule Warriors Age of Calamity. Nintendo definitely has a lot of trust in them if they are letting them use their properties, so it would be surprising if nothing of substance ended up in Smash.

If we are lucky it will end up similarly to Namco, who ever since the base-game felt extremely underrepresented too for being the actual ones who developed Smash since the previous entry, but then finally got Kazuya and a proper second series represented. So maybe a Koei Tecmo rep is really saved to be the last character and hopefully that would be Hayabua.

If he got in, I would like him to represent Koei Tecmo as a whole, like Terry did for SNK with music from various of their series. It would make sense as again he is a mainstay in both Ninja Gaiden and Dead or Alive and he has also appeared in Warriors Orochi and Warriors All Stars. He is the closest Koei Tecmo has to a crossover mascot.

Last edited:

RETROROTER

Smash Journeyman
Curious question Smashboards, what is your favorite Super Smash Bros. Ultimate crossover and why? Mine is Mario, Banjo & Kazooie, and Yuri Kozukata because Nintendo, RARE, and KOEI TECMO are my favorite gaming companies
EBA7425F-2683-455C-973F-5F3BDDE32A76.jpeg

Last edited:

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
Curious question Smashboards, what is your favorite Super Smash Bros. Ultimate crossover and why? Mine is Mario, Banjo & Kazooie, and Yuri Kozukata because Nintendo, RARE, and KOEI TECMO are my favorite gaming companies View attachment 327105
The whole game? 😆 I don't think I can pick any specific parts of it as my favorite bits. The entire crossover is spectacular! Smash Ultimate is the Disneyland of video games!

Last edited:

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
Curious question Smashboards, what is your favorite Super Smash Bros. Ultimate crossover and why? Mine is Mario, Banjo & Kazooie, and Yuri Kozukata because Nintendo, RARE, and KOEI TECMO are my favorite gaming companies View attachment 327105
I don't really have a specific favorite one but I do like seeing different NES characters together. Nintendo was the king back in those days where so many games were able to shine on their consoles just like their own games. Seeing characters from back then come together in Smash feels like a tribute to a great era for the company.

Last edited:

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
While not specifically Ninja Gaiden related, I just found out about this game called Buddy Mission BOND. It's a Koei Tecmo game that's not only exclusive to the Switch but is also published by Nintendo.

With all these exclusive titles and collaborations, you can't help but to think "why not a Koei Tecmo character in Smash?". This game is just part of the long history of the partnership between Nintendo and Koei Tecmo (which also includes Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge).

Last edited:

Mr. Stevenson

Smash Ace
I don't really have a specific favorite one but I do like seeing different NES characters together. Nintendo was the king back in those days where so many games were able to shine on their consoles just like their own games. Seeing characters from back then come together in Smash feels like a tribute to a great era for the company.
Every game on the NES (and partially the SNES), no matter if it was 1st party or 3rd party, they all purely felt like Nintendo’s thing, that’s one of the things that makes the console so special for the big N’s history, other than being its first home console, of course. Naturally that kind of vibe is now long gone with the more modern consoles like the Switch. But yeah, that’s pretty much one of the main aspects that makes 3rd party NES icons such as Ryu Hayabusa, Bill Rizer, Sir Arthur, Bub and Bob, the Battletoads, the Lee brothers, etc. so connected to Nintendo, and so worthy of a spot in Smash as well (at least imo).

Last edited:

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
Every game on the NES (and partially the SNES), no matter if it was 1st party or 3rd party, they all purely felt like Nintendo’s thing, that’s one of the things that makes the console so special for the big N’s history, other than being its first home console, of course. Naturally that kind of vibe is now long gone with the more modern consoles like the Switch. But yeah, that’s pretty much one of the main aspects that makes 3rd party NES icons such as Ryu Hayabusa, Bill Rizer, Sir Arthur, Bub and Bob, the Battletoads, the Lee brothers, etc. so connected to Nintendo, and so worthy of a spot in Smash as well (at least imo).
Exactly! I guess the SNES characters do fit that to a certain degree too (which is also why I support Doomguy).

Another crossover I like seeing is retro characters and recent characters. Look at Duck Hunt, Ice Climbers, and Mr. Game & Watch and then look at characters like Bayonetta and Joker. Not just the characters but also their games. Just never would have thought that they would all be in the same game together. It just didn't even seem likely. Heck, even characters like Cloud, with his reputation as a PlayStation icon, didn't seem like he could possibly appear with NES retro characters like Duck Hunt and Ice Climbers. I know Cloud is not really a recent character but you can't help but look the games they come from. Duck Hunt and Final Fantasy VII? Characters from those games together? That's still kind of hard to believe.

Last edited:

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
Exactly! I guess the SNES characters do fit that to a certain degree too (which is also why I support Doomguy).

Another crossover I like seeing is retro characters and recent characters. Look at Duck Hunt, Ice Climbers, and Mr. Game & Watch and then look at characters like Bayonetta and Joker. Not just the characters but also their games. Just never would have thought that they would all be in the same game together. It just didn't even seem likely. Heck, even characters like Cloud, with his reputation as a PlayStation icon, didn't seem like he could possibly appear with NES retro characters like Duck Hunt and Ice Climbers. I know Cloud is not really a recent character but you can't help but look the games they come from. Duck Hunt and Final Fantasy VII? Characters from those games together? That's still kind of hard to believe.
If we're going by NES icons, Ryu is the only 3rd party character from the NES era that I feel is missing. Him mixing it up with Mario, Link, Pit, Samus, Simon and Mega Man would be awesome for the hardcore NES fanbase (even if I'm not personally into the NES era of games)

Other crossovers I'm a fan of that I only recently thought of include the following:
-Joker and Byleth, because Persona 5 and Fire Emblem: Three Houses feel like similar games in a lot of ways and their sidekicks (Morgana and Sothis) share the same English voice actress. Both games are fantastic as well!
-Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong, King K. Rool and Banjo & Kazooie being together in Smash Ultimate brings back sweet memories of my Rare days during the 90s and 2000.
-Ryu and Ken, Kazuya, Terry, and Akira, even though he's an Assist Trophy, all being in one game is incredible considering they each come from a highly influential fighting game: Street Fighter, Tekken, King of Fighters and Virtua Fighter respectively. Also, Ryu and Ken vs Terry is likely the closest we'll get to seeing Capcom vs SNK 3, while Ryu vs Kazuya is the closest we'll get to Tekken x Street Fighter.
-Seeing Cloud, Banjo & Kazooie and Sephiroth in this game is still surreal to me, even if Banjo-Kazooie and Final Fantasy VII don't have anything to do with each other. I just wanted to point this out honestly.
-Cloud, Sephiroth, Kazuya and Snake make Smash Ultimate feel more like Playstation All-Stars than Playstation All-Stars did, even though THAT game had Kratos, Parappa, Jak & Daxter, Sly Cooper, Nathan Drake, Cole McGrath, Kat, Ratchet & Clank and Sweet Tooth all in it... and if Crash somehow winds up being the final character? That'll just be the final nail in that game's poor coffin.
-Sonic, Mega Man and Pac-Man being the mascots of Sega, Capcom and Namco respectively, and being together in Smash 4 and Ultimate, gives me Project X Zone vibes.

Last edited:

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
If we're going by NES icons, Ryu is the only 3rd party character from the NES era that I feel is missing. Him mixing it up with Mario, Link, Pit, Samus, Simon and Mega Man would be awesome for the hardcore NES fanbase (even if I'm not personally into the NES era of games)

Other crossovers I'm a fan of that I only recently thought of include the following:
-Joker and Byleth, because Persona 5 and Fire Emblem: Three Houses feel like similar games in a lot of ways and their sidekicks (Morgana and Sothis) share the same English voice actress. Both games are fantastic as well!
-Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong, King K. Rool and Banjo & Kazooie being together in Smash Ultimate brings back sweet memories of my Rare days during the 90s and 2000.
-Ryu and Ken, Kazuya, Terry, and Akira, even though he's an Assist Trophy, all being in one game is incredible considering they each come from a highly influential fighting game: Street Fighter, Tekken, King of Fighters and Virtua Fighter respectively. Also, Ryu and Ken vs Terry is likely the closest we'll get to seeing Capcom vs SNK 3, while Ryu vs Kazuya is the closest we'll get to Tekken x Street Fighter.
-Seeing Cloud, Banjo & Kazooie and Sephiroth in this game is still surreal to me, even if Banjo-Kazooie and Final Fantasy VII don't have anything to do with each other. I just wanted to point this out honestly.
-Cloud, Sephiroth, Kazuya and Snake make Smash Ultimate feel more like Playstation All-Stars than Playstation All-Stars did, even though THAT game had Kratos, Parappa, Jak & Daxter, Sly Cooper, Nathan Drake, Cole McGrath, Kat, Ratchet & Clank and Sweet Tooth all in it... and if Crash somehow winds up being the final character? That'll just be the final nail in that game's poor coffin.
-Sonic, Mega Man and Pac-Man being the mascots of Sega, Capcom and Namco respectively, and being together in Smash 4 and Ultimate, gives me Project X Zone vibes.
Then again, that game is almost 10 years old now and still doesn't have a sequel, so I wouldn't be surprised at this moment. It wouldn't bother me that much now.

Still, I can never look at Smash as anything other than a Nintendo crossover. Even with those characters, I just think of Final Fantasy, Tekken, and Metal Gear games on the Nintendo consoles and the crossovers/references that they had in their games (Mario Hoops 3-on-3, TTT2 on the Switch, MGS:TTS).

I do still have hope for a new PSAS game. I heard Insomniac is planning on working on some kind of multiplayer melee-based game and this is right after we saw the PlayStation Universe referenced in the newest Ratchet & Clank game. So maybe that's a good sign? I hope so.

Last edited:

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
Then again, that game is almost 10 years old now and still doesn't have a sequel, so I wouldn't be surprised at this moment. It wouldn't bother me that much now.

Still, I can never look at Smash as anything other than a Nintendo crossover. Even with those characters, I just think of Final Fantasy, Tekken, and Metal Gear games on the Nintendo consoles and the crossovers/references that they had in their games (Mario Hoops 3-on-3, TTT2 on the Switch, MGS:TTS).

I do still have hope for a new PSAS game. I heard Insomniac is planning on working on some kind of multiplayer melee-based game and this is right after we saw the PlayStation Universe referenced in the newest Ratchet & Clank game. So maybe that's a good sign? I hope so.
I just can't see Sony investing in another Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale game after the last one's mixed reception and poorer-than-expected sales.

ZealousGamer

Smash Ace
Killzone 1 didn't live up to the hype (I can't say anything about sales). But, they still decided to make Killzone 2. Which turned out to be a great success.

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
Killzone 1 didn't live up to the hype (I can't say anything about sales). But, they still decided to make Killzone 2. Which turned out to be a great success.
Probably because Killzone 1 still sold well to warrant improving on a sequel. But Sony themselves stated that Playstation All-Stars didn't sell enough to consider a sequel, even though it sold over a million copies.

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
I thought up another idea for Hayabusa's victory theme, in that they could use the last part of Unbreakable Determination from the end credits in the first NES game. This is just like what they did for Mega Man's victory theme.

Last edited:

Mr. Stevenson

Smash Ace
I thought up another idea for Hayabusa's victory theme, in that they could use the last part of Unbreakable Determination from the end credits in the first NES game. This is just like what they did for Mega Man's victory theme.
Hmm I always thought it should be the act intro track from the original NES trilogy, but remixed of course.

They could perhaps use the SNES version which btw is my favorite version.

Also for his intro animation I thought they should use the one from the Ninja Gaiden arcade game where he shows up in each level through a tornado.
1993ACC2-8DC0-4D4B-8444-BB5CCF3178CD.jpeg

I think it would fit really well, plus the arcade game is honestly an underrated gem, so the more love to it the better.

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
Hmm I always thought it should be the act intro track from the original NES trilogy, but remixed of course.

They could perhaps use the SNES version which btw is my favorite version.

Also for his intro animation I thought they should use the one from the Ninja Gaiden arcade game where he shows up in each level through a tornado.
View attachment 328900
I think it would fit really well, plus the arcade game is honestly an underrated gem, so the more love to it the better.
I did think of the act intro at first but some of the victory themes are usually parts taken from a main theme. So if they're going to have one for Hayabusa, they might as well do the same for him.

Also, Hayabusa kind of still does spin unto a stage, only now he kind of spins through leaves. That's always been his intro in the DOA games, which is probably what they'll most likely go with.

Mr. Stevenson

Smash Ace
I did think of the act intro at first but some of the victory themes are usually parts taken from a main theme. So if they're going to have one for Hayabusa, they might as well do the same for him.

Also, Hayabusa kind of still does spin unto a stage, only now he kind of spins through leaves. That's always been his intro in the DOA games, which is probably what they'll most likely go with.
That’s true but it doesn’t really happen with everyone. Simon and Mario’s victory themes, for example, come from their in-game victory themes. However since Ryu Hayabusa doesn’t really have a victory theme in the NES games, I don’t think the act intro theme would be a bad choice, in fact I think it’d fit as well.

Oh and cool, I didn’t know that. So in what DoA games does he perform the spinjitzu thingy from the Arcade game then?

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
That’s true but it doesn’t really happen with everyone. Simon and Mario’s victory themes, for example, come from their in-game victory themes. However since Ryu Hayabusa doesn’t really have a victory theme in the NES games, I don’t think the act intro theme would be a bad choice, in fact I think it’d fit as well.

Oh and cool, I didn’t know that. So in what DoA games does he perform the spinjitzu thingy from the Arcade game then?
He does it in the the first DOA game as his intro.

There's also a cutscene in DOA3 that shows him doing it. Very awesome looking too:

Mr. Stevenson

Smash Ace
He does it in the the first DOA game as his intro.

There's also a cutscene in DOA3 that shows him doing it. Very awesome looking too:

I see. Well tbh they’re actually kinda different. Personally I much prefer his intro animation being him doing that “spinjitzu” move from the arcade. It feels wilder and more cartoony, thus more fitting for Smash.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
My fellow Ninjas I just wanted to pop in here and say; we’re coming up on our final character and even though it’s unlikely to be our most wanted I will say it has been a hell of a ride and wanted to thank you guys for being super cool during this entire DLC timeframe. Let’s keep our hopes high that he’ll be Challenger Pack 11 but if not keep our optimism up until next game. It’s been a pleasure, honestly.
2BAF683B-AAB8-48C7-9D0F-B9A062638F98.gif

iMACobra

Smash Journeyman
NNID
iMACobra
3DS FC
2638-0959-8965
Switch FC
SW 5478 1069 7302

Tomorrow, Ryu will be flying to Smash, or going home. Best of luck to the super ninja!

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
What makes you think Smash Bros will be apart of this Direct?
Directs have been roughly three months apart for the past while now, and this Fighters Pass is supposed to be done by the end of December 2021, so it's either now or in a hypothetical December Direct where the last character is announced and released at the same time. (which is really cutting it close)

Plus, I'm pretty sure there's consistently been Smash Bros. DLC updates roughly every three months or so.

RETROROTER

Smash Journeyman
Today we will most likely know the identity of the final Super Smash Bros. Ultimate fighter. If it is Ryu Hayabusa, then alright! They saved the best for last. If not then it’s alright in the end, there will always be other Super Smash Bros. games down the line and many opportunities for our favorite Ninja to join the battle. So I wanted too come on here today and say thank you to everyone for supporting Ryu Hayabusa’s inclusion in Smash and I hope that one day that dream becomes a reality, thank you all!

Top Bottom