• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Justice Always Triumphs." - Ryu Hayabusa for Smash Switch! (Ninja Gaiden/Dead or Alive)

Mr. Stevenson

Smash Ace
I think the mountain stage from the first game, with respawning enemies as stage hazards, would be a fun callback.

I think we might get a modern stage though.
That one would also be a great choice to represent his series.
I just hope it doesn't end up being too similar to the Ice Climbers' stage tho.

And yeah, that's what I also had in mind for the stage hazards, it would clearly top the "nostalgic" frustration of the NES era.

And well, considering that Sakurai usually likes to represent the classic version of the series represented in Smash, I am quite confident that he will end up opting for a stage based on one of the levels from the original NES trilogy.

I do hope they incorporate his Wall Climb into his moveset, that would be dope.
I can only imagine how funny it'd be to see Ryu climbing an Alolan Exeggutor. :grin:

Speaking of which I also hope that they'll include the Ghost Ninja ability from Ninja Gaiden II.

Also, does anyone have any idea on what kind of recovery could Ryu have??
I'm expecting a weak move like the one that the Belmonts have.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I just dreamt last night that Hayabusa was the 4th DLC fighter and he brought Kasumi as a skin with him.....
I know you meant Dead or Alive's Kasumi, but my first thought was "what does Ryu Hayabusa have to do with that new character in Persona 5?"

Ark of Silence101

Smash Master
NNID
ArkofSilence
Switch FC
8431-6297-7122
I know you meant Dead or Alive's Kasumi, but my first thought was "what does Ryu Hayabusa have to do with that new character in Persona 5?"
Would have awesome if Joker had her as a skin. But anyway I know it I'll never happen but it would kill two birds with one stone if Hayabusa did bring DoA Kasumi as an alt(toned down to fit the rating of course).

Last edited:

KillerCage

Smash Master
Has anyone here heard the updates regarding Google Theory?

Also I support Ryu Hayabusa getting into Smash.

Iridium

Smash Hero
That one would also be a great choice to represent his series.
I just hope it doesn't end up being too similar to the Ice Climbers' stage tho.

And yeah, that's what I also had in mind for the stage hazards, it would clearly top the "nostalgic" frustration of the NES era.

And well, considering that Sakurai usually likes to represent the classic version of the series represented in Smash, I am quite confident that he will end up opting for a stage based on one of the levels from the original NES trilogy.

I can only imagine how funny it'd be to see Ryu climbing an Alolan Exeggutor. :grin:

Speaking of which I also hope that they'll include the Ghost Ninja ability from Ninja Gaiden II.

Also, does anyone have any idea on what kind of recovery could Ryu have??
I'm expecting a weak move like the one that the Belmonts have.
I have to say Flying Swallow. A quick move that may have him lunge towards opponents nearby to attack, and just simply recover otherwise.

Has anyone here heard the updates regarding Google Theory?

Also I support Ryu Hayabusa getting into Smash.
I don't think Google Theory had Hero in it, so it's far beyond wrong. Wasn't really that good of a theory in the first place. Best to not think of it too much.

Last edited:

AntagonisticGalaxyCetacea

Smash Journeyman
I have to say Flying Swallow. A quick move that may have him lunge towards opponents nearby to attack, and just simply recover otherwise.

I don't think Google Theory had Hero in it, so it's far beyond wrong. Wasn't really that good of a theory in the first place. Best to not think of it too much.
Papagenos' logic was that Erdrick or Luminary didnt appear because the character is officially named just Hero in the game, which nobody tried. But yeah, the Google Theory isn't much to go off of.

StormC

Smash Hero
Just beat the original Ninja Gaiden on the Switch.

I've played a lot of NES games so when I hear "old NES game that's really hard" I figure it's a tall tale.

Holy cow, that might be the hardest game I've ever played to completion. It's manageable until like, world 5 or so, but geez. Some of those endgame bosses are ridiculous, especially since the punishment of death is going all the way back to the beginning (this is especially the case in world 6, you start at the beginning of the entire world). Bloody Malth is no joke (no damage run is basically impossible unless your jumps are pixel perfect) and Jaquio requires a loooooooot of patience. In the interest of not having to replay the entire level after losing to the boss, I might have used a few save states...

Still, fun game. Definitely interested in seeing what Hayabusa could bring to the table. Going to play the other two games now. Consider me a supporter!

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
The fact that having to continue at on Level 6 at all sends you all the way back to 6-1 is just straight up unfair.

Apparently, the first two final bosses stay dead once you kill them, even if you have to continue, but I wouldn't know because I never made it past the first of the final 3 bosses as a kid.

NG2 was so much more fair and thus, a lot more fun. Also, Ashtar is a rad looking villain.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Just beat the original Ninja Gaiden on the Switch.

I've played a lot of NES games so when I hear "old NES game that's really hard" I figure it's a tall tale.

Holy cow, that might be the hardest game I've ever played to completion. It's manageable until like, world 5 or so, but geez. Some of those endgame bosses are ridiculous, especially since the punishment of death is going all the way back to the beginning (this is especially the case in world 6, you start at the beginning of the entire world). Bloody Malth is no joke (no damage run is basically impossible unless your jumps are pixel perfect) and Jaquio requires a loooooooot of patience. In the interest of not having to replay the entire level after losing to the boss, I might have used a few save states...

Still, fun game. Definitely interested in seeing what Hayabusa could bring to the table. Going to play the other two games now. Consider me a supporter!
Glad you liked it! There's certainly something very addictive about beating a tough as nails game like Ninja Gaiden. As a matter of fact, I'm currently on my third playthrough of it, and man oh man is it a rush.

AntagonisticGalaxyCetacea

Smash Journeyman
I started watching some Ninja Gaiden videos, most notably this one and good lord. The attacks in these games are so insane and quick i would LOVE to see how that would translate into Smash Bros.

Ryu's got a variety of weapons, ninja arts and really badass looking sword attacks. He'd definitely make for a interesting and hype character.

jamesster445

Smash Lord
I started watching some Ninja Gaiden videos, most notably this one and good lord. The attacks in these games are so insane and quick i would LOVE to see how that would translate into Smash Bros.

Ryu's got a variety of weapons, ninja arts and really badass looking sword attacks. He'd definitely make for a interesting and hype character.
1. GamingBrit shout out
2. The obliteration techniques in NG2 are some of the coolest **** I've ever seen in a game. It's quick and effective. Part of the reason I loved Doom 2016 was because Glory Kills reminded me a lot of Ninja Gaiden 2.

magiciandude

Smash Journeyman
So we have not one, but two, games for the Switch developed by Tecmo and published by Nintendo that has received positive scores. Can we get Ryu Hayabusa now Sakurai?

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I would say Hayabusa's chances at this point are above 50% percent as he isn't a guarantee/lock choice, but a likely candidate that wouldn't be a surprise. I would score him higher if we were all under the assumption that we would be getting new characters from companies that don't have one yet instead of "Insert Capcom and Namco reps here."

Last edited:

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
I would say Hayabusa's chances at this point are above 50% percent as he isn't a guarantee/lock choice, but a likely candidate that wouldn't be a surprise. I would score him higher if we were all under the assumption that we would be getting new characters from companies that don't have one yet instead of "Insert Capcom and Namco reps here."
I support Ryu Hayabusa too. Despite not knowing him very well. On the other hand Tecmo got Yuri as an assist trophy, and she merits too. But I think the Yuri assist trophy might affect Ryu Hayabusa's chances of being playable. Just like how the bomberman assist trophy affected Simon's chances.

So Yuri is an assist trophy because Ryu is playable. And it's not Ryu is playable because Yuri is an assist trophy. I also think Ryu is a better addition than Frisk.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I support Ryu Hayabusa too. Despite not knowing him very well. On the other hand Tecmo got Yuri as an assist trophy, and she merits too. But I think the Yuri assist trophy might affect Ryu Hayabusa's chances of being playable. Just like how the bomberman assist trophy affected Simon's chances.

So Yuri is an assist trophy because Ryu is playable. And it's not Ryu is playable because Yuri is an assist trophy. I also think Ryu is a better addition than Frisk.
I think Yuri as a Assist could increase Hayabusa's chances, but at the same time not because Yacht Club has Shovel Knight as a Assist. Though, a big 3rd party Japanese developer that doesn't have a fighter yet like Tecmo has a better chance of getting a fighter than a Indie developer does.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
I think Yuri as a Assist could increase Hayabusa's chances, but at the same time not because Yacht Club has Shovel Knight as a Assist. Though, a big 3rd party Japanese developer that doesn't have a fighter yet like Tecmo has a better chance of getting a fighter than a Indie developer does.
I knew that a long time ago. My mention of Simon being playable because Bomberman is an assist trophy is a green flag that supports your claim. So in sumarry, Konami, Capcom, and Tecmo, respectively gave up/sacrificed Bomberman, Zero, and Yuri's oppurtunities to be playable, but each of them got Simon, Ken, and possibly Ryu Hayabusa in the future in return. Well, it's a pretty good trade in my opinion.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I knew that a long time ago. My mention of Simon being playable because Bomberman is an assist trophy is a green flag that supports your claim. So in sumarry, Konami, Capcom, and Tecmo, respectively gave up/sacrificed Bomberman, Zero, and Yuri's oppurtunities to be playable, but each of them got Simon, Ken, and possibly Ryu Hayabusa in the future in return. Well, it's a pretty good trade in my opinion.
Except in my opinion, I would trade Ken for Zero any day of the week. But the trade probably wouldn't be possible anyway since Ken is a Echo and Zero would definitely be a character with a full blown unique moveset. AKA, Echos only take up 1/6 of the data or resources that unique characters do.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Agreed. You don't trade echoes for fully unique characters. They just aren't the same amount of resources to create.

Last edited:

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
Except in my opinion, I would trade Ken for Zero any day of the week. But the trade probably wouldn't be possible anyway since Ken is a Echo and Zero would definitely be a character with a full blown unique moveset. AKA, Echos only take up 1/6 of the data or resources that unique characters do.
Zero and Bomberman would be marvelous additions as playable characters, but having Yuri as a playable character on the other hand would be a terribly horribly no good addition. Joker/Ren was already bad enough, but Yuri would be even worse, unless she becomes more iconic in the future. But we can still keep Simon, and Ken, along with adding Ryu Hayabusa.

D

Deleted member

While I was going through some Ninja Gaiden OSTs on YT, I came across this vid of the various themes of Ryu Hayabusa from Ninja Gaiden, DoA, a few Musou games, and Nioh (even though Jin Hayabusa's theme is Genshin's theme from NG 2).

The DW SW mix is my favorite of the bunch and is probably the best version of Unbreakable Determination ever. If Hayabusa does make it to Smash, I wonder if the eventual Smash remix will be able to top Warrior Orochi 3's version of that track.

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
Hayabusa seems to be the character everyone is sleeping on for some reason. Ninja Gaiden and its sequels are some of the most iconic games for the NES being both big back in its heyday and strongly revered the decades after; however, the series has also enjoyed a more recent revival in recent years with some pretty good games for modern systems mean he is both a classic and still "relevant." As of late, Nintendo has had a very close relationship with Koei Tecmo to which they have entrusted the company with Zelda and Fire Emblem to make unique Warriors titles, allowed Team Ninja to make a Metroid game, let them aide them with Three Houses and even worked alongside them with Fatal Frame (which is already in Smash); so getting the rights to him should be a no brainer.

If you ask me, this is one of those characters than won't be an if but a when regarding making it into Smash Bros. The only question is if this game will be his debut to the series, and I say his chances are still quite strong.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Hayabusa seems to be the character everyone is sleeping on for some reason. Ninja Gaiden and its sequels are some of the most iconic games for the NES being both big back in its heyday and strongly revered the decades after; however, the series has also enjoyed a more recent revival in recent years with some pretty good games for modern systems mean he is both a classic and still "relevant." As of late, Nintendo has had a very close relationship with Koei Tecmo to which they have entrusted the company with Zelda and Fire Emblem to make unique Warriors titles, allowed Team Ninja to make a Metroid game, let them aide them with Three Houses and even worked alongside them with Fatal Frame (which is already in Smash); so getting the rights to him should be a no brainer.

If you ask me, this is one of those characters than won't be an if but a when regarding making it into Smash Bros. The only question is if this game will be his debut to the series, and I say his chances are still quite strong.
Yeah, Hayabusa truly is that last NES all star not in Smash yet. Of course there is the Contra bois and Arthur from Ghost & Goblins, but Hayabusa is really that last NES character left that I feel is on the same field as :ultmario:, :ultlink:, :ultmegaman:, :ultsamus:, :ultsimon:, :ultduckhunt:, and :ultpit:.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero

He's my lowkey bet for a character 4 reveal. He definitely has a lot going for him.

The funny thing is that if he's fighter 4, he would be the first Fighters Pass character to have a game available on Switch when he is announced and released (Ninja Gaiden being on the NES Switch app).

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Yeah, Hayabusa truly is that last NES all star not in Smash yet. Of course there is the Contra bois and Arthur from Ghost & Goblins
I say Kunio as well. North Americans would probably lean more towards Double Dragon, but River City is a lot more popular in Japan, has more and BETTER games, and, inexplicably, still puts out games regularly.

Last edited:

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
I say Kunio as well. North Americans would probably lean more towards Double Dragon, but River City is a lot more popular in Japan, has more and BETTER games, and, inexplicably, still puts out games regularly.
Don't forget that Super Dodgeball is another NES staple. Kunio, along with Bill, Lance, Arthur and the Lee Brothers would all make fun fighters that I'd welcome with open arms.

He's my lowkey bet for a character 4 reveal. He definitely has a lot going for him.

The funny thing is that if he's fighter 4, he would be the first Fighters Pass character to have a game available on Switch when he is announced and released (Ninja Gaiden being on the NES Switch app).
You know, I never thought about that, but you're right. You could kinda argue DQ Builders, but none of the Heroes come from that.

Mr. Stevenson

Smash Ace
So uhm, the other day I came across a quirky scene from an episode of Captain N:

You think the world where Simon Belmont warped into, was supposed to reference Ninja Gaiden, and that ninja was Ryu Hayabusa? That'd be cool.
You might say that the ninja looks nothing like Ryu, but then again, this is Captain N so what did you expect?

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
I just watched that episode not that long ago. I'm not sure if it was meant to be anything specific since ninjas in general were pretty popular at that time and this gave more more of a 70's kung fu flick vibe more than anything. But then again, the Dragon Quest episodes really have nothing to do with anything from its series, so it isn't impossible. I am surprised there wasn't a dedicated Ninja Gaiden episode in this series.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I just watched that episode not that long ago. I'm not sure if it was meant to be anything specific since ninjas in general were pretty popular at that time and this gave more more of a 70's kung fu flick vibe more than anything. But then again, the Dragon Quest episodes really have nothing to do with anything from its series, so it isn't impossible. I am surprised there wasn't a dedicated Ninja Gaiden episode in this series.
Probably because they couldn't get permission from Tecmo or they just didn't think about it.

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
Probably because they couldn't get permission from Tecmo or they just didn't think about it.
I'm going to guess the later. If I'm not mistaken, at that time, Nintendo had the ability to grant rights to the games on the NES, even if they didn't actually own the properties, due to the way they their licensing deal to publish on the NES was set up. Given with how Square drags it heels with Smash, which treats their IPs with dignity and respect, there's no way I could see them allowing this show Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy; not to mention Toei animation lending their own mascot to a different company to animate.

Last edited:

MisterMike

Smash Champion
I was looking through the NES Online library on switch and I saw Ninja Gaiden there and thought "Ehh, **** it.". I had always heard it was brutally difficult, and it certainly lived up to my expectations. Malth is a ****, why would you have a guy shoot lightning that is super fast and homes in on you? And starting over from Stage 6-1 whenever you die against one of the three final bosses is atrocious.

I beat it once while using the savestate feature to quickly restart stages, as well as to cut down on having to redo stages 6-1 through 6-3 again and again. After that, I went through and beat it again without savestates in one sitting. Not gonna lie, I felt like a god afterwards, it was great.

Anyways, I wouldn't mind if Ryu got in Smash. I don't think it's the most likely thing ever, but it could happen and I wouldn't even be mad.

Top Bottom