• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Just 'nother Mafia game | Game over, town wins

#HBC | J

Prince of DGamesia
Can I leave now? T_T I feel like I'm just digging myself into a hole when I am just trying to be completely honest with my thoughts and this is just making me sadder and sadder and not wanting to continue on because if I am wrong toDay I will be in quite the bit of despair since I don't want to go into LyLo.

Jdietz43

BRoomer
BRoomer
Orboknown Orboknown

I been puttin in by far the biggest effort to read ya, includin findin and actin on what little paper trail your connections gave me to work with. Against it all I been givin ya the BOTD in favor of huntin harder to look for no easy answers and even I'M fed up.

I'm hammerin you if you don't do somethin real and soon.

Maven89 Maven89 you better post your final thoughts on a fresh look at D2 cuz this **** is gettin ridiculous. We both saw the flaws in orbo as scum but this lack of presence is suspect, even I got admit it.

Jdietz43 Jdietz43 orb ain't gonna give us what we want in all likelihood, so if you been holdin back some thoughts/insights on em in hopes he'd post, now's the time.
Nope, I'm ready to lynch.

If Orbo won't or can't talk to us I don't want him in lylo.

I at least want to know scum suffered for their victory if I don't get it right.

Jdietz43

BRoomer
BRoomer
I've frankly already made my D3 decision in my mind, and if Orbo wasn't the choice toDay he'd be the one tomorrow, so now we just wait and see if they're even necessary.

Maven89

Smash Master
Important parts bolded, read the bolded

I smell scum in one of Maven or Soup, but I seriously don't know where I lean currently because I think both sides of the argument are a tad silly (Maven's RVS post = scum for soup; Soup is "playing to his scum meta") *Heavily generalizing here while I am continuing to read*

I'm going to dwell on this for a second because I am not sold either way and need to relook at the battle that just occurred.
I don't mean to pigeon-hole the day, but I feel like toDay is going to end in a Soup or Maven lynch and I don't really see a better option so I need to really dig into their slots tomorrow when I get the chance.

I will say I dislike Soup's stream of posts that revolve around "Man...town is really gonna blow this? Ya'll need to stop being so ego/blah/blah and listen to me because I'm obviously right." The fact is, that makes me want to lynch him more>not.

That Blazblue comment was cute though. There are no wounds from that game nor any salt to pour there. I kind of find comments like that inherently scummy because of how he posted that.

So until I read more into Maven's/Soup's and even Ditzy's case on Soup, I lean #TeamMaven for this argument.
welp

Kaladin you still owe Maven those points.
This is actually a good point in favor of Delamar I didn't notice before, because it's legitimate pressure that only I was currently pushing him for.

Okay that makes more sense. So what is your read on Ditzy currently with Soup's claim to be proven true now that everyone has posted?

Where do you see your vote wavering towards?
Suspicious line of questioning after Soup outed himself.

So when re-looking over the Soup exchange, I find myself not really seeing much of a dynamic switch in terms of reads. It almost feels like I am just picking Soup up out of the scum-pile and putting him into my town-pile where he resides by himself. If I were to use someone's read's list I would probably look like Orbo's but a tad different; Here's what I mean:

Soup

Ditzy

Koopy
Orbo

Maven/Kaladin

Let me talk about Kaladin first because there is a common trend here that is beginning to worry me a bit. Kaladin to me has been suspicious for a while, however, he is literally EVERYONE's #1 scum-read at the current time. Not one person has come to the assistance of Kaladin and everyone believes him to be scummy. This almost makes me want to avoid it because it looks like a ML on a player that has the tendency to be lynched for his playstyle above anything else which I, myself, have done as scum to secure an easy ML when needed to. No one has explicitly stated why Kaladin is scummy though they have just been like "Oh yeah, and obvi scummy Kaladin over there" and that's what I noticed throughout my re-read. Everyone seems to be harping on the point that he isn't explaining his posts which is fair enough, but how is that scummy considering a lot of players are being vague? If you are to call Kaladin scummy on that, you have to call Orbo/Koopy on that as well.

That's just one side of the coin regarding Kaladin. During the entire Soup push, I would say Kaladin had the worst vote of the masses and it seemed really opportunistic scummy to be jumping on the wagon and putting at soup at L-1 for very little reason. Ever since then, he has gone off the radar in terms of posts. Without a re-read, I would actually just insta-lynch this slot based on his vote-post alone after Soup's claim. I would be remiss to do as such because now I am 50/50 on the slot. I would not cry if he were to be lynched because of these scenarios:

Kaladin lynch, flips town:
1.) I would probably look into Orbo/Koopy as a valid team.
2.) Maven leans less as scum, but still a possibility. (I just don't think so)

Kaladin lynch, flips mafia:
1.) I would probably gung-ho go after Maven as his partner.

2.) My Koopy/Orbo theory is a wash at this point. Orbo would be the placeholder slot if Maven did not flip scum.

The thing about Kaladin is that the only one that makes valid sense as his partner would be Maven, however, let's move onto Maven since this is a good segway point.

I think Maven has been more Actively Scummy whereas Kaladin has been Passively Scummy if you guys understand the point of view I am coming from.

Maven lines up with my plausible theory of scum-teams and the more I type and discuss his slot the more I am becoming sold on him being scum and I am going to be putting my vote on him. If the rest of town feel like lynching Kaladin, that also has my blessing considering it helps my cause either way and I can see the angle of KaladinScum. I just feel more passionate about a Maven-lynch currently.

Vote: Maven89

Plus I am going to side with Soup because I do agree with his opinion that Maven leans more scummy then Kaladin where Kaladin has half of his actions being able to be thrown over to that pile of Silly vs. Scummy. But those are my thoughts at the time and what I feel confident in expressing.

The most important thing is him setting me up as Kaladin's partner. That was the most ridiculous part of it, I was attempting to force Kaladin to answer questions and clearly adding pressure to him. This whole thing looks more and more like J wanting to set himself up when Kaladin died. He later said he found both of us scummy independently, and that was the only reason he thought we were mates. Yet even in this post, he first introduces me as scum as Kaladin's partner.

And honestly, his push against me was terrible. Outside of everything that happened Day 1 that wasn't Kaladin, this is without a doubt the scummiest.

That's the thing, looking over some things I may have arrived at some logical inconsistencies regarding my Maven/Kaladin push, however, I still feel very "..." about Maven especially when compared to my other reads. I like Ditzy. You and Orbo are floating in that vague Nullandia. Whereas Maven has been ehre and what he has posted I haven't gotten good vibes from at all.
If I'm being honest, if it is between Koopy and Orbo; I would actually lean lynching Orbo. I've gotten better vibes from Koopy then that of Orbo who I have definitely had qualms on.
I haven't failed to mention them, I commented on them in my large post.

Man from Delamar addressed that these don't really exist

Delly, can you point out the Ditzy's treatment of Soup being "Manipulating/Shotgunning"?

He actually asked that

And I'm not kidding when I say I'm not reading the J wall above me if it ends in "Unvote". I'm not going to bother. When J doesn't know what to do: he walls.

It wasn't worth my time if it didn't actually come to any conclusions.
This summarizes the rest of J's play

And wow do I hate his recent posts

So is that post as outrageously scummy as I think it is?
Yes

Maven89

Smash Master
Ignore most else I've posted this day it's been lazy half-assed thoughts.

If you guys are really content with going to lylo and removing Orbo just for count, then I mean alright. But with Delamar town and Orbo playing the exact same no matter what pressure is thrown on him leads all of it to J, who actively defended Kaladin. I feel really dumb for letting that slide.

So I guess count me in for J scum. This also means I think Orbo is town and don't really want to lynch him, I'll check the thread again later to see if no one hammered Orbo, but if you guys feel like saving me by ending the game

Vote: #HBC | J

Or maybe I'm entirely wrong or something, but I'm not thinking so.

Orboknown

Smash Hero
People are gonna ***** but idc. Exercise is over after tomorrow so i should be full up on sleep and **** for lylo if im wrong
Vote:HBC J

#HBC | J

Prince of DGamesia
Waaaaaah I lost ;____;

Oh well, GG everyone! Haha what a game though and I almost made it to LyLo! I was fun though.

Sorry Kaladin, I really really tried.

#HBC | J

Prince of DGamesia
Very *whomp whomp* way to lose after battling so hard just to get quick-hammered without any other thoughts. But I can't be too upset because I'm happy and had fun so thanks for the game everyone!

I just couldn't carry Kaladin which was my mistake and I honestly thought my quick-hammer could have given me enough to live to LyLo. I have thoughts but it's 4am and yeah, but I'm actually glad I don't have to worry about this game anymore especially since I have 3 finals on Friday.

GGs all around and I'll try and give shout-outs at another time. ^_^

The Man From Delamar

Smash Journeyman
Well, with J bein' scum, I gotta say this was quite the nice conclusion to the game.

Dietz, often times when I stumble upon a scum read that turns out to be town, I consider their play to be 'specially bad. The fact is I can't say that here. In my eyes, your play just happened to fit the puzzle most. I'm still havin' trouble figurin' out why Kaladin didn't say nothin' to ya (and when he spoke with Cyber, if was a helluva scummy dialogue). And I'm still confused as to why you just dropped that very legitimate catch you had with Kaladin flip-floppin' on the Maven and Soup wagons when they were hot. But aside from that, hot damn was your Day 2 much more inspired. I haven't been playin' mafia fer long, but usually when I do and I see scum I get a fire in my eyes that can't be doused. You doused that fire. Good job, and thanks fer bein' motivated enough to make me do a double take.

Orbo, I mean this with no malice, but if you don't have the proper time to dedicate to mafia, ya just shouldn't play. You're a soldier. You're doin' one of the most honorable things a man can do. If I'm right in assumin' it's the American army, then I know (from family, not personally) that that takes quite a bit of time outta your weekly routine. You were easily exploitable, despite there bein' good content thrown in here n' there by ya. Ultimately, fer me, it was yer distance from Kaladin that made me weary of votin' ya.

I've gotta go, but I'll get to the rest later.

Orboknown

Smash Hero
Yeah no, I'm gonna take a bit of a break. Even though i said ****s calming down for now, i need to recharge my mafia batteries

Maven89

Smash Master
I almost went straight over to the "bad camp" that last day phase. Really need to not post or act like I know what I'm talking about when I haven't re-read in a while. Lots of it ended up being pretty embarrassing. Really upset with my "let's vote Delamar" attempt, it was done with almost zero effort.

I'm not entirely sure why Day 2 was just so difficult for me, this is one of the most frustrated I've been in a game and, looking back on it, I don't entirely see why. I'm not really sure what I was doing day 2, I honestly don't remember why I dropped my J read only to re-read and go "oh wait a second, yeah I forgot about this". Because of that I'm going to blame J for it, and say good job.

Dietz we were bros most of the game, +brofist

Man from Delamar, in another game we can be bros.

TheKingofKoopas

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bowser5566
3DS FC
0001-3508-1615
I really need to play more aggressively. That is my biggest problem at the moment.

And also more in character. Not letting some cowboy beat me. :4bowser:

The Man From Delamar

Smash Journeyman
Maven, you were town's biggest asset. During D1 your play was superb. You very consistently bogged on the scum team and made the proper efforts to read every player in the cast. Whether they responded to your efforts or not ain't your fault. D2, man, I understand that it's hard to keep motivation sky high when your role's been outed. And I get that the easy way out exists. But damn it, you came in just in time and pulled out the win for town. I was about to settle on lynchin' Orbo. By the end of the game I still had very strong suspicions of Dietz. But your vote on J gave me the confidence to get 'em lynched, and it won us the game. Don't be beatin' yourself up. Not everybody's gotta be a massively vocal or loud player in order to be a good player. Ya just gotta do the legwork and the research to build yer own confidence, which ya did. Good job bud.

J, you played a really really god awful town game. Whether or not that's a compliment to yer scum play is up to interpretation, but I'd be lyin' if I said you didn't have me fooled for the middle portion of the game. When I started readin', you clicked as scum to me. By the end of Day 1, I thought yours and Kaladin's play didn't quite work on a scum team, especially since ya hammered him at the last second instead of just pretendin' to be away from the computer. That was a pretty ballsy move, 'specially in a game where a no lynch would be AMAZIN' for yer faction. It'd have forced the town into a mylo situation (especially since ****in Soup would have jailed Maven in 100% of the possible scenarios) and would've put the game at a standstill. That ain't a clean win, but in mafia, a win's a win. By the end of the game, you bein' scum became more and more prevalent though, and Maven's findings of you pretty much put the nail in the coffin. Overall, I'm just glad you were scum and not town with some of them plays you made, cuz golly was I seethin' at some points.

The Man From Delamar

Smash Journeyman
I just lost a long post with very nicely worded advice for soup, J, and Kaladin and I ain't overly pleased about it. Sigh.

Soup, if a lowly scrub may be so bold, you should reread d1 knowing kaladin and J were scum (especially kaladin though) and look at all the things you were missing/misinterpreting. I'm honestly a lil amazed maven could still deserve that tunnel in your eyes right into N1. What if maven had kept on me toDay in the same way? Or if id continued to focus only on Dietz?

The Man From Delamar

Smash Journeyman
Also...

Foot in ma mouth time, but is this J character a fella? Ahahaha. The pictures of girl and all and kinda the verbose diction just gave me a gal vibe. But now I'm noticin' all these he and him pronouns my brain somehow missed and I am quite embarrassed.

#HBC | J

Prince of DGamesia
Yes indeed, but I'm not offended by being called a she anymore since it's just become common place here and it's not something to be ashamed of. I'm male though and damn proud of it haha.

Jdietz43

BRoomer
BRoomer

YESSSSSSSSSsssssss.....

*begins sobbing*

For the record, I'd have lynched J D3; so assuming you (Man from Delamar) wouldn't have had a change of heart on my emerging townitude we'dve won anyways (just with an extra day of torment). I honestly was just starting to get afraid if I took Orbo to lylo he'd got modkilled :U

Last edited:

The Man From Delamar

Smash Journeyman
I was more hard town on you by the end than I let show in the thread. I just saw no value in sayin it -- nobody was escapin my scrutiny at that point so I figured why let my read on you influence what you say/do, and also scum would very likely have used it against me as a "flip flop". All told I think people are too willing to offer town reads; one of the few valuable skills I got playin epicmafia was huntin and killin townreads as mafia, leaving a scummier, more confusing pool of characters to work with for town

The Man From Delamar

Smash Journeyman
Basically I was startin to lean hard on J as of... Sometime before I unvoted, but this game was treacherous for my slot and I knew it's be tough to get there without gettin lynched in the process. That and goin around in laps was slowly bringin the truth to the forefront imo. We just did the same thing we did D1 -- put up with ultrascummy behavior for no real reason and eventually circled in on it

Jdietz43

BRoomer
BRoomer
I was more hard town on you by the end than I let show in the thread. I just saw no value in sayin it -- nobody was escapin my scrutiny at that point so I figured why let my read on you influence what you say/do, and also scum would very likely have used it against me as a "flip flop". All told I think people are too willing to offer town reads; one of the few valuable skills I got playin epicmafia was huntin and killin townreads as mafia, leaving a scummier, more confusing pool of characters to work with for town
The same here.

I actually overly held back from responding to your "oh man I'm the D3 mislynch" post because I wanted J's help to lynch Orbo. I was hoping the fact that I had not immediately bodied you when Maven voted against you would be enough evidence that that wasn't a scum flip-flop in lylo.

Jdietz43

BRoomer
BRoomer
OH!

I see the masquerade game has concluded (and I have won against all comers). That means I can now do my DIETZ TELLS ALL special, where I explain the HILARIOUS circumstances in which I found myself this game.

SO. Mid-night 2 a very peculiar thing happened... my motherboard died. Being in the IT field and working half in and half out of my home, that is as you might imagine VERY BAD. No matter what happened, for work I'd have to repair my computer by monday, and everyone was out of everything that mattered due to black friday. MEANING: it was time to build my rig again from scratch (it's very nice now, the old one was made in 2006 in my sophomore year of highschool if you can believe it).

Naturally, I'd only be able to phone post while I was getting everything organized, and playing computer doctor because I have no alternative computer.

Normally, maybe that's fine (if massively inconvenient to the game). You explain the situation, that you can't post much, and move on. But... -and here's the but:

I was also playing a scum game in masquerade mafia. One where I was treading the line between giving thoughtful town insight and being totally afk from pushing anyone myself, just giving insight on wagons and helping them along. I couldn't afford to not say something there, but I could afford to be unexplained afk from this game for a few days, that is until Man from Delamar came in, and I like everyone had to reassess the assumption I was irreproachably town. No one would complain about my content being light at the start of D2 at least. But I couldn't claim in both. If someone doing their homework saw that both "Aquariusboy" and Dietz suddenly claimed computer trouble and both stopped posting, it miiiiight have been a little obvious.

So I claimed my situation in Masquerade... and faked the **** out of my presence here because I couldn't afford to have anyone connect any dots on my identity. I stand by asking the tracker to claim on that day eventually, but I probably wouldn't have normally asked for it so early without hashing it out and using it for extra reads: it was a looot easier than going back and trying to make detailed comments and cases on my phone. And definitely easier than re-reading on it. There's a good reason I posted my thoughts on a Koopa vote analysis with almost no elaboration and especially no quotes. Phone post 420 yolo blaze it rofl.

And now that both have finished, I can finally explain that one without ruining my chances of winning Masquerade.

Last edited:

Jdietz43

BRoomer
BRoomer
So.... when Man from Delamar came in and was like "You're barely even contributing compared to your giant Soup push D1!" I was like "That's extremely understandable... because it's technically true! But I sure as hell can't tell you why!" rofl

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Good stuff Man from Delamar. You type alot. I will say I kind of glazed your long posts accusing people, when I have done that myself. (Your cases)

So yeah I would say be more concise maybe? I just skimmed some of your stuff.

Good stuff JD.

The Man From Delamar

Smash Journeyman
Believe it or not, I'm normally a three paragraphs max kinda fella and treat my game as either alignment more like a poker player deciding what bets to make and when to reveal which card. I just didn't get much of a choice when I was replacing into a disadvantage and town and scum alike were makin the game artificially more difficult for me. It took more than good points or observations to accomplish literally anything in this game.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
I liked the effort though and liked how you flipped the slot. Do you know anyone here or did you just happen to stroll by?

The Man From Delamar

Smash Journeyman
Hahaha, frankly, I take credit for a whole lot more than flippin' the slot. If you read my long posts you'd see why, I had J in my sights early on despite my stated preferences in thread and she he wore away the goodwill I was givin' up with pretty much every post on D2 after I came in. Sometimes it kinda felt more like playin' a scum game, tryin' to get people to see the angles that really matter (as far as any slot was concerned) and seeing who was truly confused (JD, Orbo) and who was manufacturin' (J). I knew if I just up and flopped on J I'd get MLed for sure, especially before Maven finally realized I was town with an artificial limp.

I know a fella here but I don't wanna get overly associated with the company I keep, I like to be my own man. Basically just been lookin around the web seein' what it offers for Mafia junk. I'm a private detective in the ol' RLz (not nearly as cool as that sounds) so this is kinda my wheelhouse.

Top Bottom