• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Just got back from gamestop.

Shiny Pidgey

Smash Cadet
I posted this on gamefaqs but nobody really seemed to care.

I was paying off a preorder I made a long while ago, and doublechecking that they were having a midnight launch.

Some points of interest:
1) They had their brawl display up. The same one shown full of copies in the back room of a Sears in a picture that showed up a few days ago. It was full of display cases - not even real ones, just dvd cases with a printed copy of the cover (front only) and had slots for strategy guides. One side was empty, the other was filled with pokemon d/p strategy guides (wut).

2) They have clearly received their real shipment already. A row of copies sat in their back case (the locked glass one behind the counter) still in shrinkwrap, every other one turned around so that you could see the back of the case. A couple of the game disks in paper sleeves were also sitting barely visible behind the counter, and an open case was sitting next to them. You could see the manual poking out.

3)They told me they had taken over 300 preorders, and expected at the very least 100 and at the most 200 people to show up at midnight. They told me I could participate in the tournament without signing up, although I didn't inquire further, as I plan on just watching, so I don't know if they would take that back and ask me to sign up. They said the tournament started at 10:00, and that the line could not form before them because of security restrictions placed by the mall across the street. This means that they will be closed for one hour, since they close at 9:00.

4)The lady would not tell me how many copies they got. First I asked how many copies they had, and she said that they did not have any yet, and would be getting them in on the 8th - which was clearly a lie, see number 2. I asked how many they WOULD have, and she said she couldn't tell me, but recommended I show up to get in line at 10:00. I assumed this to mean that they will not have more than around 150 to 200 copies, which is a reasonable limit anyway.

I don't know if anybody will find any of this useful or interesting, but I thought some people might care. This is the gamestop in Overland Park, across the street from Oak Park mall (in the plaza with the taco bell - not the one in the mall) Anyone else showing up at this particular gamestop at midnight? Maybe we could hang for a few hours.

DragonRider-ofSmashBros

Smash Apprentice
Grinnell, IA...... or something like that
I posted this on gamefaqs but nobody really seemed to care.

I was paying off a preorder I made a long while ago, and doublechecking that they were having a midnight launch.

Some points of interest:
1) They had their brawl display up. The same one shown full of copies in the back room of a Sears in a picture that showed up a few days ago. It was full of display cases - not even real ones, just dvd cases with a printed copy of the cover (front only) and had slots for strategy guides. One side was empty, the other was filled with pokemon d/p strategy guides (wut).

2) They have clearly received their real shipment already. A row of copies sat in their back case (the locked glass one behind the counter) still in shrinkwrap, every other one turned around so that you could see the back of the case. A couple of the game disks in paper sleeves were also sitting barely visible behind the counter, and an open case was sitting next to them. You could see the manual poking out.

3)They told me they had taken over 300 preorders, and expected at the very least 100 and at the most 200 people to show up at midnight. They told me I could participate in the tournament without signing up, although I didn't inquire further, as I plan on just watching, so I don't know if they would take that back and ask me to sign up. They said the tournament started at 10:00, and that the line could not form before them because of security restrictions placed by the mall across the street. This means that they will be closed for one hour, since they close at 9:00.

4)The lady would not tell me how many copies they got. First I asked how many copies they had, and she said that they did not have any yet, and would be getting them in on the 8th - which was clearly a lie, see number 2. I asked how many they WOULD have, and she said she couldn't tell me, but recommended I show up to get in line at 10:00. I assumed this to mean that they will not have more than around 150 to 200 copies, which is a reasonable limit anyway.

I don't know if anybody will find any of this useful or interesting, but I thought some people might care. This is the gamestop in Overland Park, across the street from Oak Park mall (in the plaza with the taco bell - not the one in the mall) Anyone else showing up at this particular gamestop at midnight? Maybe we could hang for a few hours.
theyre probably just the boxes.... not the game

Shiny Pidgey

Smash Cadet
You didn't have to quote the whole post.

Also, as I said, they were shrinkwrapped, and a few of the disks themselves as well as an open case were visible behind the counter.

Forget Me Not

Smash Apprentice
theyre probably just the boxes.... not the game
Usually Nintendo games when they come in mass amounts they are shrink wrapped in 5s with two red plastic strings to tie them all.

It's good to know the current status of the shipments to stores. Thanks for the information. March 8's going to be a crazy night.

Bendario

Smash Apprentice
... I'm stealing one. They tried to keep me in the dark! Those *******s.

Suoinegni

Smash Apprentice
Interesting. My Gamestop had display cases up when I went in on Tuesday to preorder (cutting it close, ne?), but I really didn't notice anything else. Maybe because I wasn't looking.

On a side note, at least your GS knows details about the tourney. I just called today (I wanted store specifics), and they don't know anything about it other than they're having one. The guy I talked to said to check back in the middle of the week and... mentioned something about thinking that it's being hosted at Hooters *facepalm*.

Chaosblade77

Smash Lord
mentioned something about thinking that it's being hosted at Hooters *facepalm*.
Yeah, good luck concentrating on the tournament :laugh:

Anyway, that's interesting news. Hmm. 300 preorders? Makes me wonder about my "plan" to get the game. Might be best to get there a bit earlier than I planned.

Shiny Pidgey

Smash Cadet

On a side note, at least your GS knows details about the tourney. I just called today (I wanted store specifics), and they don't know anything about it other than they're having one. The guy I talked to said to check back in the middle of the week and... mentioned something about thinking that it's being hosted at Hooters *facepalm*.
I should have asked for more details, but I figured most of the info was out there already anyway, and, like I said, I don't plan on participating.

Rash

Smash Ace
I asked how many they WOULD have, and she said she couldn't tell me, but recommended I show up to get in line at 10:00. I assumed this to mean that they will not have more than around 150 to 200 copies, which is a reasonable limit anyway.
Well, if you preordered then it shouldn't matter how many copies they have. Under a preorder the game is reserved for what, two days? They can't sell your copy just because you didn't show at 10:00.

You should be able to expect to get your copy hassle-free as long as you show up on Sunday or Monday.

I'm not even sure that my Gamestop has a tourney/midnight launch, but even if it did I wouldn't go. No real point. I'll gladly go at opening time Sunday morning.

Shiny Pidgey

Smash Cadet
Well, if you preordered then it shouldn't matter how many copies they have. Under a preorder the game is reserved for what, two days? They can't sell your copy just because you didn't show at 10:00.
No, but I was concerned with so many preorders if they would have enough copies even to cover just the people who showed at midnight.

Shiny Pidgey

Smash Cadet
Oh, they also had those horrible dolls that you apparently get 5 bucks off of with your preorder. They were right next to the brawl display, and they are ugly as hell.

Kr3w

Smash Journeyman
My gamestop has the same display set up too.
It's just boxes but they're all empty.
mybe I can get a pic later..

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
Actually, if you reserve a game you are guaranteed it for 48 hours. The guy at GameStop here confirmed that we should show up Saturday at 10 to get in line if we want our copies right then and there, but they were 100% guaranteed to have our copies (this is me and my friend, I should clarify) up until Monday night at closing time.

It's the biggest mall in Vermont and in the most populous area, so I'd imagine they have a ton of copies but not too many so I guess preorders got divided well enough. There's an EB in the same mall, another GameStop down a few exits, a Wal-Mart, and a Toys R Us. You'd be an idiot not to get your copy at midnight, pretty much.

rklamer

Smash Cadet
Two. Hundred. People!? Crazy. The GameStop I preordered at is just across the street from a second GameStop; mine's inside an indoor mall, and the other's inside a stripmall. I hope everyone goes to the other one. Hehe.

Kaid`

Smash Rookie
Yeah my gamestop has the same stand as well.

Also on an interesting note, the guy who is running the tournament at my gamestop is somewhat of a friend of mine and he's allowing me and my friends to help out with the tournament because we've already played it. We talked about how to play the tournament. Starting with the default characters is a task to get by seeing is that after a certain amount of brawls, we'll unlock new characters which might interfere in the tounament. He was thinking of using the tournament mode, but we never actually tested it out. We also asked him if he was able to allow no items, but he said he'd keep in the smash ball.

I wonder if he's even allowed to change some of the offical rules. Any other ideas on how we should change the rules?

WhipIt1

Smash Cadet
I think I know my plan. I should leave around 9 something so I can get there early. Then wait. I pre ordered the second day Gamestop started pre orders, so I think I'll be getting my copy :)

rklamer

Smash Cadet
Yes, they're allowed to change the rules if it's anything like previous GameStop tournaments.

MetalMetaKnight

Smash Journeyman
If you pre oredered the game around this time, October-February (or whenever they started pre orders) You should get your copy safe and sound, if you preordered it late Feb and this week, you might not get your game till April cuz of so many pre orders and each game stop can only have a certain amount of games to sell, i pre ordered my game around november (when Brawl was "Supposedly" going to be released December 10th or sumtin) so i should be fine :D

DoritoXI

Smash Cadet
aaaa

So what does this mean for people who can't go to gamestop on the 8th? I plan to go after church on Sunday to pick it up. I pre ordered, but alot of people make it seem like it won't even matter because the game will be sold out by the time I go. I'll be seriously pissed off if I get to the store and they tell me they don't have anymore when I preordered a long time ago(sometime before September 07.).

M.K

Level 55
If you pre oredered the game around this time, October-February (or whenever they started pre orders) You should get your copy safe and sound, if you preordered it late Feb and this week, you might not get your game till April cuz of so many pre orders and each game stop can only have a certain amount of games to sell, i pre ordered my game around november (when Brawl was "Supposedly" going to be released December 10th or sumtin) so i should be fine :D
I believe you are mistaken, because a store doesn't PROMISE you a game unless they know that they have enough copies to fill those pre-orders. They wouldn't let you preorder it if they did not have enough copies.

DarkShadowRage

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkShadowRage
3DS FC
0534-0479-5837
Switch FC
SW-6587-7751-8591
My Gamestop that I pre-ordered said about 900 or so people pre-ordered Brawl...I was like O_O

Top Bottom