• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Just curious...

Klax0r

Smash Rookie
I've been playing Smash Bros for a couple years now. I've been playing Link most of that time. Me and my friends consider ourselves to be pretty good. We shffl and have our timing for all attacks pretty much down. I'm actually the worst of the 4 of us that play so much. And I noticed that all of our skill levels follow the Tier list to a T. Best in order: Ben (Falco), Mike (C. Falcon), My brother (Samus), Me (Link).

I always argue that it's their character being better and that is why they win. I see their great killer moves (Falco's Dair, Falcon's Knee, Samus's Missiles) and then I look at Link, I don't see anything that special, he can't kill at 50-70% like most other characters can and it seems much harder for him to kill period because he needs to beat them to 100%+ but by then a Falco sidekick or dair, Falcon's Knee, or Samus's Missile has easily taken the kill. Falco and C. Falcon seem to win most of the time in FFA and take most of the kills with them, but then when we get to the 1v1s I actually stand a chance.

Does anybody else have trouble with Link in 4-Player FFA or do I just suck? (I mean, sometimes I do pretty well, but then Ben (Falco) enters the game and then pretty much sweeps everyone down the sides) I really think I've got Link pretty much figured out after playing him for such a long time. I don't see how my friends can this much better than me (and just so happen to be following the Tier list :p) They always argue that all characters are perfectly equal, and then I argue that the creators of this game aren't perfect...

I guess my main question here is: Does anybody here ever dominate with Link against high tier characters with around equal skill to your own in a 4-Player FFA?

I'm almost ready to switch over to Falco :p

SLH

Smash Journeyman
nobody plays 4-player ffa :( they're boring and just prove who can camp the best, imo

and yes, link has an awful kill game. that's one of the big reasons he's where he is on the tier list

Lightshade

Smash Ace
Yes. I've mostly every character seriously since the game came out. Link is the only character that fits me. It heavily depends on how you play. Wavedashing with Link isn't the best possible technique you can use, that's why I purposely stray away from that with him. If you want to switch, that's fine.

EDIT: Just to let you know one thing, 4-player isn't the best way to see how good you are, like SHL said, it's basically about camping and opportunism.

Deva

Smash Lord
It's Sir Lighting Hat, not Short Hop Laser...>_>

Anyways, try to get your friends to play 1vs 1 more often. It's a much better representation of skill. If you want easier kills, spin spike your opponents off the edge or shffl a dair on the stage. Also, you can jump off the stage and nair them. Link has some good killing moves, it's just hard to find ways of working with them.

Pug

Smash Apprentice
I absolutely agree. Link isn't the "I'll kill yehs all!" type of character, He's better suited to surviving and keeping enemies of his rump. My friends and I always play 4P, and I never come out on top in kills -- but in most battles it comes down to just me and another of my friends, and I mostly win those. Don't let anyone tell you that you suck because you don't get as many kills: it's not called VS "Survival" for nothing.

On the other hand, stay well away from Time! Link is it a severe disadvantage there.

skullblader

Smash Rookie
I'm just wondering... but am i the only person who uses links dair alot? I know it has horrible lag time when you hit the ground(not so bad with l-cancel but still not great) but i find nothin more satisfying than to get somebody between 80-100% damage and nail them with it.... except for maybe being a total a-hole when your on final destination and your edge hog with your up-b... heh

Pug

Smash Apprentice
I've found if you use it too much your opponents come to expect it -- you have to mix it up, so try short hopping to dair, or nair + pressure drop. I find it works fairly well, especially against Captain Falcon when he does his B across: that fly punch thing. There's nothing funnier than charging straight back at him, short hopping then executing a dair.

Klax0r

Smash Rookie
Recently, we started playing on 0.7 damage ratio, in which I find myself dominating everyone very badly with Link. I also get a pretty decent amount of kills :D

Pug

Smash Apprentice
I had no idea people actually changed the damage ratio like that ... who's idea was it? was it yours? 'Cos if it wasn't the guy who did is probably kicking himself now.

Deva

Smash Lord
I'm just wondering... but am i the only person who uses links dair alot? I know it has horrible lag time when you hit the ground(not so bad with l-cancel but still not great) but i find nothin more satisfying than to get somebody between 80-100% damage and nail them with it.... except for maybe being a total a-hole when your on final destination and your edge hog with your up-b... heh
Link's dair is actually a useful killing move. Just don't randomly throw it out there hoping it will hit. Try comboing into it, like using an u-throw to d-air on Fox or Falco at relatively high percents.

Deva

Smash Lord
Lol, yeah, and don't projectile spam too much either. That'll have everone on your case in a matter of seconds.

Deva

Smash Lord
Really, KlaxOr, you should try convincing your friends to do Teams at least so that it doesn't become this game of who can be the biggest jerk. At least there will be strategy involved.

thebluedeath1000

Smash Champion
Yes, teams are ten times better as it requires Team-work! (who would have guessed..)

free for alls actually hurt my skill...so I don't play them, ever...

Team matches should be just as fun if not better when your friends refuse to do singles.

Skler

Smash Master
Me and my friends will play FFAs, just don't take it seriously and divide it into two 1v1s. Work on tech skill and your edge game if your stuck in FFAs, it's still decent practice. Don't play to win FFAs, play to get better.

thebluedeath1000

Smash Champion
But winning is fun?..lol

If you must play free for all, as I said, be a coward and steal kills..which is quite easy to do with link since he has projectiles and the game registers it as his kill if any of his projectiles hit an already "dead" foe..just be careful enough not to bring them back.

I'd mostly retreat while sending out boomerangs the entire time and dropping bombs but eh, whatever floats your boat.

KratosAurion192

Smash Ace
I'm actually not an *** about it in FFA's...I only cheep it when I've been spiked into a quick kill and losing because of it. Up-B spam in FFA's makes the world go round, because nobody pays attention to you if you miss because they usually have someone else on them, and if you hit, you run a better chance of a spike or just a straight up KO.
I think Links game is the perfect one for FFA's...I've played a match with a fox and a falco and I eight stocked total the two of them. First I killed them both fair and square, then I got them both with a spin spike at about 20% of their next stock, and then they just never came through... :D
I'm good in FFA's and Teams...I generally never take damage.

tHrilla`

Smash Journeyman
who cares about ffa? besides nubies i mean. don't tell me that you (klaxOr) and your friends play with items also. furthermore, i don't think falco does that well in ffa; however, i wouldn't really know since ffa isn't in my dictionary even.

Pug

Smash Apprentice
I hate to s**t on your riff, but I doubt "ffa" is in anyone's dictionary, it's not even a word.

However, free-for-all, n. "A disorganised or unrestricted situation or event in which everyone may take part, especially a fight or discussion".

I hate ffa's. Whether you admit it or not, the plain and simple truth is that they promote the most tempting backstabbing tactics. Anyone who calls themself "the best player" by winning a free-for-all doesn't deserve to be taken seriously.

So what, you can take down a couple of players in a free-for-all without resorting to the cheap-ness? Maybe you're just the superior player in general? Unfortunately for me, I'm doomed to be locked forever in the grip of the free-for-all -- 'cos my friends won't play anything else. And they backstab at every opportunity. Oh well, I'll keep trying to convince them to do otherwise ...

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
Pug, if it is any consolation it got a laugh out of me :).. don't listen to thrilla he's a 5150 wannabe... and kind of.. annoying and not helpful :)

*thumbs up*

Pug

Smash Apprentice
Thanks KevinM. I'm glad I'm not the only one with a humour gland (yes, there is such thing as a humour gland -- it's right next to the hypothalamus). As for you, thrilla`, you're banned from SmashBoards, forever.

Oh, before you go: that last "lol", was that a maniacal cackle like your typical fictional antagonist, or a hearty "haw haw haw"?

Lightshade

Smash Ace
Thanks KevinM. I'm glad I'm not the only one with a humour gland (yes, there is such thing as a humour gland -- it's right next to the hypothalamus). As for you, thrilla`, you're banned from SmashBoards, forever.

Oh, before you go: that last "lol", was that a maniacal cackle like your typical fictional antagonist, or a hearty "haw haw haw"?
Woa woa, guys clear out. I'm sensing a massive amount of ownage here, it actually might be over 9000!!!

tHrilla`

Smash Journeyman
lol, pug. first of all, you used a few words out of context when trying to make fun of me; take some english classes, illiterate nub. second of all, i'm not banned from smashboards, and if i was, you've seriously mistaken me for someone who gives a ****. the truth is, i'm a 24 year-old playboy who lives in the city of sin and couldn't care less if i was banned or not. you see, while the rest of you are too busy smashing 24/7, i'm out hooking up with models and strippers, doing drugs, beating the **** out of people who disrespect me, going to jail...etc, etc. and third of all, none of what you said has to do with skill as far as smash is concerned. you're a complete nub, accept what you are and deal with it. lol, don't speak to me again.

edit: also, i recently crushed one of the best links in vegas.

Pug

Smash Apprentice
Man, you really can't take a joke! My English may not be perfect, but it's certainly better than yours. Remember that when you start a new sentence, you use a capital letter. Just a tip.

By the way, I'm an eighteen year old uni student who plays SSBM every now and again with his Aussie mates. It's a pleasure to make your acquaintance.

KratosAurion192

Smash Ace
edit: also, i recently crushed one of the best links in vegas.
Then why do you care so much about what happens here? If you're so good, then why do you insist on comming back? You don't help, hell you're never even nice. If you have such a nice life outside of smash, and make fun of people who probably just as active in the game as you are (I know I only play when I've got company), then why come back? Why did you even make an account if you are just so bad *** at this game? You don't need us...
We're here to learn and to get better at the game. The purpose of the forum is to make the noobs of the forum pros, doing anything other than helping them is counter-productive. This is the fourth thread I've seen in the past 15 minutes that you have ruined, and I hope you've been reported by someone other than myself...

And just for future reference, using the other features of the game for fun isn't a crime. Will it help you professionally, not one bit, probably will actually hurt you. But I play FFA's all the time and I'll tell you what, spin spiking a fox and falco at the same time makes my day... :D

KratosAurion192

Smash Ace
And that is that...

Aiser might be an *******, but it is helpful... I guess Thrilla' never got that...

Anyway can we get back to the topic at hand now? Do you people really think it is wrong to use the other features of the game?

Top Bottom