• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Just a quick question regarding online lag...

Joker701

Smash Rookie
Okay, so you're facing someone online and you're experiencing little lag on your side. However, your opponent claims that they were getting major lag on their end.

My question is: is that possible? The way I understood is that the players on each end are playing under the same conditions. (Both players experience little lag, both players experience major lag, etc.)

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
No, it seems possible.

Imagine the game being run somewhere. Like a theatre inside a black box.

Running into this box are input streams - these are the (controller) inputs from each player.
Running out of this box are the output streams - the game display (plus, because Brawl people don't have any **** clue that a smash games needs all data preloaded, a whole lot of other info, such as Sheik's data).

Suppose the streams to and from one player are much longer than another's.

Then the theatre inside the black box will still run - it has no idea how the inputs got there; it just processes them in the order they were input, and plays the game.

It also can't be held responsible for how much lag there is in the feedback. It sends the display off at both output streams at (in all practicality) the same time, but one player may be observing the game state 50 ms ago (and what he input 100 ms ago), while the other may be the same for 500 and 1000 ms.

So it's certainly possible.

It's anyone's guess why the hell it is actual.

*~*~*~
There's also the chance one player is more tolerant of lag than the other. Just recently, I was getting pwned by a Samus in a game where I was having a full second of lag.
I'm like.... dude, he's playing a mean Samus. With 1 second of lag. That can't be right.
In any case, I had and have no desire to adapt to that much lag so I quit.

What ticks me off is how you can only measure your ping to people who are OFFLINE. That's just stupid.

Tlock

Smash Apprentice
Nintendo has stated they make it where they slow down the fastest connection to match the slower connection.

Thus BOTH players are playing with the same amount of lag.

mysticwolf

Smash Journeyman
both players have the same lag.

if one player had less lag than another player, then the player's game with less lag would end before the player's game with more lag, proving that this is impossible.

my guess is that you and your opponent have different perceptions of "little" and "major" lag.

Fenvir

Smash Cadet
So when you are getting matched on 'with anyone', is wifi already matching you with players with similar connection speeds or is it completely random? So the only way you are guaranteed a smooth game is to play friends with green connections? Wondering if so, or my connection is just crud and I am getting matched with other crud connections.

Ørion

Smash Ace
^ I doubt that it features something as in depth and advance as connecting based on connection speed. Thus, if there is one person running on a horrible connection and three people with the newest lightning fast fiber optics, they would all get bad lag.

1337-Zero

Smash Ace
I think it's button lag ( the lag between your button press and your character reacting to it ).
When I press the a button, my character attacks 1/4 second later while my friend has about 1/16 of a second lag.

stratele

Smash Apprentice
this morning I had seriously bad lag, there was a 5 second button lag!

But I swear noone else had that much, it dident look like it.

Top Bottom