• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

just a few questions.

krpao

Smash Rookie
so, i main samus. i mained her on the 64 version, mained her in melee, and i still main her in brawl. hello to fellow samus mains. :p

now, a few questions:

* does her pivot grab make that much of a difference? i've tried it and it seems to last just as long (or maybe longer) than her standing grab, which is a bummer. maybe i'm doing it wrong? could someone direct me to a video?

* what are some tactics to avoid being juggled? i've become pretty good when it comes to mind games with bombs, but once i get to the point on the stage where i can be reached with a single jump, landing becomes a challenge depending on the character (fast jumping/falling ones especially). i can only avoid hits via air dodge so many times, so i usually find myself going for the edge. missiles sometimes help, but my friends/opponents alike usually don't fall for that.

* the screw attack: i've noticed that occasionally towards the end of the sequence, characters can fly off at a downward tilt. is there a specific way to produce this result?

* boba fett vs. samus. who wins and, more importantly, could anyone stop their children? :p

* oh, and just as an opinion question: how do you use your charge shot? offensively or defensively? i'm curious to see how other samus players use theirs. i prefer it as a quick way out of a bad situation myself.

that's it for now. i'll probably think of more later. any help would be appreciated.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
so, i main samus. i mained her on the 64 version, mained her in melee, and i still main her in brawl. hello to fellow samus mains. :p

now, a few questions:

* does her pivot grab make that much of a difference? i've tried it and it seems to last just as long (or maybe longer) than her standing grab, which is a bummer. maybe i'm doing it wrong? could someone direct me to a video?

* what are some tactics to avoid being juggled? i've become pretty good when it comes to mind games with bombs, but once i get to the point on the stage where i can be reached with a single jump, landing becomes a challenge depending on the character (fast jumping/falling ones especially). i can only avoid hits via air dodge so many times, so i usually find myself going for the edge. missiles sometimes help, but my friends/opponents alike usually don't fall for that.

* the screw attack: i've noticed that occasionally towards the end of the sequence, characters can fly off at a downward tilt. is there a specific way to produce this result?

* boba fett vs. samus. who wins and, more importantly, could anyone stop their children? :p

* oh, and just as an opinion question: how do you use your charge shot? offensively or defensively? i'm curious to see how other samus players use theirs. i prefer it as a quick way out of a bad situation myself.

that's it for now. i'll probably think of more later. any help would be appreciated.
For future references, please look to the Samus Questions & Answers thread. I will answer your questions there.

n00b

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
peasantstat.us
3DS FC
1693-1292-7210

now, a few questions:

pivot grab is less punishable because you put space between you and your opponent, plus it's trickier.. It's just better than standing grab because you can bait then retreat then punish.

i dont know what you mean by getting juggled offstage. if you need help with recovering try to recover from under the stage and use uair fair or zair from your ledgehop, but be sure to mix it up. Samus is punishable from above her opponents so use bombs to slow down and gain horizontal distance to be within better positioning to zair etc.

up b spike is dependent upon opponent DI. The attack has four hitboxes in midair, one at each corner of the screw. If the last hit is on one of the top hitboxes, the opponent is shot downward.

charge shot.. i use it to set up gimps or continue combos, its too slow and punishable to be defensive.. unless you camp and charge it then fire it when a metaknight rushes to grab you.. like xyro did to tyrant.. a bajillion times..

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Hai :D
Mindgames and spacing set it apart from just normal grabbing. Unless you're Yoshi or Lucas, the pivot grab doesn't make a substantial difference. You could, for example, dash away from your opponent, and do a quick pivot grab if they chase after you.
Bombs are your main factor. I like to use D-air excessively, and it works for me, so that could help. If you mean recovering horizontally to the stage, go for U-air and bombs.
What Sago said pretty much. DI from the opponent and you to a lesser extent.
The Fett-man can't touch what he can't kill. And only Captain Falcon could.
I use it both offensively and defensively. It's one of my main kill moves at times, as well as a "gtf away from me" sign to my opponents. If an opponent is charging after me with a higher priority move(MK's Nado for example), I try to either out maneuver it and hit him out the ending lag, or stop him in his tracks. I also like to keep it for mindgames and lolwtfhax moments, such as stage spiking with it. :lick:

krpao

Smash Rookie
The Fett-man can't touch what he can't kill. And only Captain Falcon could.
puh! :chuckle: he wishes.

I use it both offensively and defensively. It's one of my main kill moves at times, as well as a "gtf away from me" sign to my opponents. If an opponent is charging after me with a higher priority move(MK's Nado for example), I try to either out maneuver it and hit him out the ending lag, or stop him in his tracks. I also like to keep it for mindgames and lolwtfhax moments, such as stage spiking with it. :lick:
I appreciate the input! And yeah, that's pretty much how I use it.. my friend just took a liking to Shiek so that's pretty much where the juggling concerns came from. I'm fine off the ledge and all but it's just getting there from way-high mid-stage that's a problem. Dair doesn't do much against Shieks' Uair. We either both go flying in opposite directions (usually resulting in my death) or Shiek's Uair just beats my Dair outright, no matter the timing. She's pretty much the only character that gives me problems since all of her attacks are ridiculously fast with insane priority. :ohwell:

Thanks again. :)

Hive

Smash Lord
?
pivot grab
-her pivot grab is actually pretty useful in matchups if used right. its very good for surprising characters who are chasing you or coming up behind you and punishing them.

preventing being juggled
-if you are hit above an opponent you can use your bomb jumps to avoid being caught again almost always, or you can suddenly fastfall and dair them if you think they won't expect it. or fastfall and uair them to screw attack if you are feeling especially trixy ^^ if you are recovering be sure to use your bomb jumps first and save your jump so you can zair/missile/spike/w/e to create openings and cover more distance.

screw attack-
-it depends on where they end up and di in the screw attack i think. i wouldn't try to reproduce it though intentionally.

charged shot-
-fire it only in situations where you'll know it will hit, or hold on to it if you are trying to get the opponent to be more defensive. some good times to use it imo are
- when a character is in the air- they expect you to use your charged shot on the ground, so if you jump up and shoot it they usually won't expect it, learn to predict your opponents jumps/tactics.
-after missile spams sometimes, especially if they try to roll through them, they won't expect another projectile and it eats their shield a lot.
-when the opponent is getting up from being knocked down or just landing from the air- they are usually vulnerable for a second.
-when you are on the ledge- ledgehop and hit them with the charge shot, they usually won't expect it and furthermore are too close to you many times to react.
-i like to use it when i am recovering, if your opponent is trying to edgehog or chase you out there you can usually blast them for a free stagespike and still recover since samus' recovery is that good. sometimes if i'm spamming and the opponent is approaching i'll jump off the stage too like i'm retreating and use the cs then too.
-if the opponent is behind you you can always reverse the charge shot and hit them if it will surprise them.
-you can also use the low charged shot to hit enemies who are hanging on the ledge as well too from the stage as sort of a long distance edgeguard.
there are like a million good times to use charged shot, its just trying to know your opponent and figure out where he is most vulnerable imo ^^

nessqk

Smash Journeyman
How do i use charged shots my name is q-blast for christ sake bombs to defend mainly and half a charged shot to help bring health up lots of screw attacks and fully charged shot or a spike to make it all worth wild (nice finish)

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Sago? I am offended. You owe me your internet
I confuse you, Sago, and O Rly. Most likely because you're all the least noticed Samus main veterans to me. And fine, I'll give you my spare.
How do i use charged shots my name is q-blast for christ sake bombs to defend mainly and half a charged shot to help bring health up lots of screw attacks and fully charged shot or a spike to make it all worth wild (nice finish)
I read your name as Nesquik

Top Bottom