• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Jungle Japes - Playing the river

The S Word

Smash Cadet
Just something I noticed in a match on Japes. I thought it was interesting, and I searched the boards and hadn't seen anything mentioned about this...

When you jump out of the river on Japes, it gives you a lot of momentum in the direction that the river is flowing. When most characters jump out and use their up-B, they keep that momentum from the river and it moves them even farther to the left. This doesn't happen to DK. In the same way that DK's up-B can cancel his momentum after being hit with a powerful attack, it also cancels the momentum given to him by the river.

By jumping out of the river and immediately up-B'ing, DK can actually outrun the river. This means you can stay in the river for as long you want, allowing you to stall for small periods of time, and giving you another (possibly safer) option to get to the other side of the stage.

Example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKiJXbaFVEA

The klaptrap is somewhat of a risk here, as he's looking to kill you around 30-40%.
A nice trick to know about the Klap Trap is that it goes by every 10 seconds, so if it shows up somewhere, 10 seconds later it will be in that exact same spot
Knowing this, the klaptrap can easily be avoided with some ledge invincibility when you know he's coming (see the second half of the video). Or if you're feeling really daring you can try jumping over/under him.

Obviously you wont be camping in the river the whole match, but the option is there when you need it.

Chaosgriffin

Smash Ace
More info for claptraps, the claptraps will be out and about, when the clock seconds are at 7-6 and 6-5, and then it comes out again at 7-6 and 6-5. Look at the video posted above if you do not understand what I mean, pause when a claptrap is out and look at the time.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
this is a very high risk/low reward situation

not worth stalling at all unless you want to get to the otherside against a falco

Top Bottom