• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

June 23, 2007 - Washington Metropolitan Area Smashers - All Day Event!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

WMGC

Smash Cadet
June 23, 2007 - Smash Brothers Melee

Widow Maker Gaming Center
7901 Central Ave.
Capitol Heights, MD 20743
301.336.WMGC
http://www.widowmakergamingcenter.com
email: frontdesk@widowmakergamingcenter.com

Teams & Single Matches

Prizes:
$150.00 First Place
$75.00 Second Place
$25.00 Third Place

70 / 20 / 10 Split or whichever better

Must have a minimum registration of 30 participants
for registration total to achieve full payout

Registration 10 AM – Noon
Bring your own controller!

We made some new friends Saturday past, and the "eyes" have it. You wanted an All Day Event for SMASHERS, and that's what we intend to do. It's $20 at the door: Split 10 for venue, and 10 for Tourney Pot. we know this is short notice, but hey we can do it if the interest is great.

We’re sure that our new friends who were here saturday will show, we spoiled them!

We’ll run the tournament on all TV’s available (or agreeable) and the others will be used for playing your favorite game with your favorite friends.

We are using our own equipment, but we need a 6 Nintendo Cubes and Smash Brothers Melee. The first 6 who show with theirs gets a discount!

Widow Maker Gaming Center wants you!

Its time to put the Washington Metro Area SMASHERS on the map!

YES WE'RE RECRUITING! WE NEED A TEAM TO REPRESENT WMGC THROUGH SPONSORSHIP, SO COME, BECOME A MEMBER, SMASH YOUR WAY TO THE TOP, AND SMASH AT THE NEXT BIG EVENT COURTESY OF WMGC!!!!

Make us your gaming home away from home; lets put the world on notice: WMGC is the home of some of the World’s Top Gamers!

This will be a reoccuring MONTHLY EVENT, so be sure to check our website for upcoming dates.

Pythag

BRoomer
BRoomer
you positive this is on the 25th? the site says it's on the 12th

WMGC

Smash Cadet
that's because I've havent changed it yet. I'll do that today! We seem to be have a slight problem. My SMASHER friend reminded me that SCHOOL is still open and it would'nt be fair to start so early. I'll open friday @ 12 for all those that can make it, (and practice or chill in our wi-fi lounge) but would it be a problem if we started the tourney registration at 4 and close at 5:30 so our school SMASHERS can attend also?

WMGC

Smash Cadet
Changes have been made, and we've posted other events also. if you know someone you think would be interested in our other events please let them know.

Pythag

BRoomer
BRoomer
sweet. My senior trip was scheduled for the 25th, but for some reason, they decided to only get enough buses for 1/3 of the seniors at my school. Now I have something to do that day!

Jayo

Smash Apprentice
da maker

WIDOW MAKER!!!!!!!

Jim Jones said it the best..."when its reppin time, when its, when its reppin time...we get on extra GRIND"

We need to Rep our AREA peoples...Widow maker is making it officialy known that their here to stay...Not jus for the tournaments but for the community and its peoples

On the 12th...They wined and dined us (for a fee, of course)

For the peoples who made it....YEAH!!!

For every body else....NAH!!!

Basically...​

Jayo

Smash Apprentice
25th

See yall on the 25th...EARLY

Who eva needs to train up...or if yall jus wanna play Jayo

Get at me

~1~

WMGC

Smash Cadet
Slikvik not sure when you get off, but be sure to call. it's an all day event. Smash smash smash until 5:30 PM and then it's the tourney! We'll be here! and thanks Jayo

Jayo

Smash Apprentice
Yeah...I definitely hope you can make it SlikVik...

As far as recruitment for smash Bros.

Wat's the first step in becoming the "front Man" for the Widow Maker?

WMGC

Smash Cadet
got me grinnin, Jayo. You just did! I'd like everyone who comes on a team to bring their team logos so we can post them permanently. ?Team Arlington? Where u at?

Wuss

Smash Champion
can you post more info, like when stuff will happen and what note. Like when doubles will start, as well as when singles will start, so on so forth...

Tin

Smash Journeyman
Why Friday, why not, Saturday. You will get a much bigger turnout if this was on a Saturday.

School is still in for most of us, senior exams, prom, bizzy bizzy. Maybe it's just me though, whatever.

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
got me grinnin, Jayo. You just did! I'd like everyone who comes on a team to bring their team logos so we can post them permanently. ?Team Arlington? Where u at?
Team Arlington doesn't like anything to do with J-tyme, venue fees, or tournaments on fridays because you don't want to commit a Saturday to smash. Team Arlington has school and/or work, and for the most part, won't be there.

Maybe next time (but probably not).

Your friend (but not really),

Team Arlington.

WMGC

Smash Cadet
We gave the opportunity for the SMASHERS to pick the date. We'll commit to a saturday but because of the commitment we already have for Saturday and Sunday. We appreciate your openness, if you would like to suggest a date, we'll make that a scheduled date. Singles will start at 5:30, and doubles should start around 8PM. Cant we all get along. lol

Tin

Smash Journeyman
Wow Plank, that was harsh, but true.

As for the date, schedule a date that doesn't clash with other mainstream tournaments in the area, c3 and Chu's are the big ones I can think of right now.

Jayo

Smash Apprentice
Come on peoples...the point of this Venue is to get a new location that's in the area where everyone can smash

Singles starts at 5:30 for people who are getting off of work and school so it's convinient for the most part

It's going to take time for the Widow Maker to get ish on point but we should at least show support so they can become a strong influence in the smash community in the future

If you can't make it, that's koo...pass on the word for those smashers who are tryin to hit up a tourny on Friday (like myself)

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
Kay so not to be a ****, but i'm going to dissect this more.

You say you want 30 entrants to get the prizes shown on the first page. $150 for first, $75 for 2nd, $25 for third.

So if every one of us pays $20 upon entry, $10 of that goes to the venue fee. That leaves $10 to the pot person. The pot, therefore should be $300 total. Adding the prizes you're showing, the pot is $250. So in reality, you're making $350 profit off of a $250 pot. In other words, we're paying about 12 dollars to the venue fee, while 8 dollars goes to the pot.

Listen, we're not ****ing stupid. I'm sick of this. If you want people to come, appeal to the players. C3 in VA has an $8 venue fee, and its an amazing venue. The tournament host is a cool guy, and we don't mind paying it. However, it started at $5, and eventually moved up. What i'm trying to say is you haven't proven anything to us yet, and not being straight forward about what you're doing doesn't help. Anybody who can do simple math can figure it out.

You're a business, you want to make money, we understand that. At the same time, though, we want to feel like we're getting our moneys worth, and honestly, we don't feel that right now. The venue we went to last time and paid the venue fee had laggy tvs besides the ones we brought, so we were stuck in a corner. There were no chairs at all, either, and we had to run our own brackets. If we're going to be charged $10 (or $12 in this case) we need to be actually paying for something. Nobodys going to flock to throw their money away for nothing.

JayO, i'm sorry because I know you wanted this to happen and be big, but I can tell you for sure that there aren't going to be very many people here at all. A lot of us are figuring out a fest for friday night, so maybe i'll PM you and let you know what we figure out.

I'm trying to do this in the most civil manner possible because I myself, being a tourney director, really am bothered by people trying to take advantage of the communtiy so terribly and playing it off as if we're supposed to be the ones benefitting by you guys "furthering the smash community". Just stop bull****ting, we aren't stupid.

sxkitten

Smash Rookie
"which one of y'all kicked me?" (in honor of Chris Tucker)

Wow, once again thanks for being candid. I would like to apologize to you and everyone else who attended the last Smash event and didnt enjoy themselves at my location. I didnt control that one, it was hosted by the latter that was mentioned and it will not be the same. I Promise! Sorry you didnt like the TVs, but we're also set up for Xbox and PS2 community who perfer those televisions, with the Hi Def games they play.

We're here for the whole community of gamers, and maybe I got this all wrong but hey we're learning. What we're trying to do is appreciate all gaming communities by offering a day to gather, communicate issues, and move on from there.

Because this is "our" facility we felt that we can accomadate everyone and try to keep the majority happy. It's nice to know that you're a co-ordinator, and maybe you can come and set this up so there's no issues. I thought that if everyone could get together and come up with HOUSE RULES, those would be set, posted, and THE LAW at WMGC.

I'm not here to argue, or debate about the math, but if the math is wrong it will be corrected.

My question is: How can we get the SMASHERS to WMGC, and continue this each month. We did commit a saturday, but as you said it was the same date as C3 and that was respected. we had a small crowd, and they enjoyed their playing time.

I wont get into the venue, that got me into trouble last time. I just would like everyone to understand that we're here if you choose. if you choose not thanks for your opinion, we'll take it to heart and try to make this a better environment for everyone.

WMGC

Smash Cadet
Thanks Sxkitten for allowing me to post from your puter.

Not to call you out PLAIRNKK, but instead of pm'ing about an event that you're trying to set up because you dont like what you see, why not set up here. I PROMISE I WILL ACCOMADATE YOU AND WE CAN DISCUSS FUTURE EVENTS FOR SMASHERS ON A WHOLE.

I'm hoping that this will turn out to be a great event. IF I SAID THIS WAS FREE, WHO'D BENEFIT, AND WOULD YOU COME?

We do have a Membership program that allows our members to BYPASS the venue fee for any event that we host. I dont recall anyone paying for or asking about the our membership program.

?COMMITTMENT?

IF EVERYONE HAS THE COMMITTMENT THAT THEY KEEP SCREAMING ABOUT, WHY NOT BECOME A MEMBER AND RECEIVE BETTER BENEFITS LIKE WHO - WHAT - WHEN - WHERE - AND HOW instead of just following the crowd I'd like the crowd to come here.

Yes, I am committed to keeping my business intact and also in keeping all gamers happy here as much as possible. apparently we've mis-stepped and I thought mistakes were ok. but then again maybe not.

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
It's okay, I'm not trying to take a shot at you personally or any of your affiliates. It's just that first of all I don't know if you understand our dislike for Jtyme, so affiliating yourself with him immediately put you in a VERY negative position off the bat. That guy has cancelled tournaments after people already had plane tickets -- promises things he never can offer -- and overall just doesn't understand our community.

I know your other gamers prefer the HI-Def TV's, but you have to understand it's not just an annoyance to us that we can stop complaining about and suck it up. Hi-Def TV's are detrimental to the game of SSBM. So many things in the game are frame based and require perfect timing and precision, HI-Def TV's just mess with that and make it nearly impossible for us to play.

All we, as smashers, really need to run a tournament is an open space. We can do the rest, and more importantly we actually PREFER running the tournaments ourselves. The problem is, though, that your facility is filled with TV's we can't use, which really limits our space to that little corner where we can set up our own.

So i'm going to compile a simple list of simple things that will help you get smash attendance up.

1.) Make the venue fee $5. Smash players don't like to go to a tournament and know they're paying as much to the venue as they are to enter the tournament. Simply just by doing this, you'll get double the attendence anyway which will make you the money back that you're losing by lowering the fee.

2.) We can't play on HI-Def TV's, which is the bottom line. We need sufficient space to bring our own.

3.) Be straight-forward. We know you're a business trying to make money, and we respect that. Deliver what you offer - that's all we ask. The first page may have been a simple misunderstanding, as it stated you had a max pot of $250 no matter how many people came. Set pots arent the way to go, just do a split.

4.) Make it on a Saturday, starting at like noon or one, and just ask with people to make sure the date doesn't conflict with any other major tournaments in the area.

The community here wants to have a place to play smash and wants this to work - but you really have to understand that we aren't just being picky, but there are certain things we need to make things work.

Also, on a lighter note, we need chairs. I don't know if you have chairs yet, but playing on the floor really really sucks.

g-regulate

Smash Hero
plank is right.

smash tournies are usually in actuality, 2 Tournaments. Teams (2v2 doubles), or Singles.

the ideal average tournament for our area is $10 entry fee to each, (so $20 per team, $10 per person, and $10 each per singles entrant. all of this money is put in "the pot", where the total is then split out accordingly by placement. usually it goes
1st/2nd/3rd = 60%/30%/10% (or 70%/20%/10%, whichever the venue decides is proper)

a $5 venue fee is usually standard, all smashers know that the venue wants to make money, so theres no quarrels here. all of this money goes to the venue owner and is in no way figured into the pot. however, like plank said, the smashers want to know that the venue is helping them out. if you want to charge more, like say $10 for venue fee, than you should do your best to accomodate the smashers accordingly. like:

- i.e. give lots of setups for maximum play. a normal tournament of 30 or 40 people should have at LEAST 6-8 TVs, any more entrants should yield more. more = better for everyone. everyone brings their own controllers, so dont worry about that. advertise to have people bring setups as well, most smashers would be more than happy to bring their own in return for a speedy tournament.
- lots of chairs, an overall comfortable environment,
- perhaps maybe even some food (not necessary, but i know you guys gave us pizza last time and that was really cool)
- have someone working at the venue learn how to run brackets quickly and correctly, (too many times has a smasher had to run everything because of the venue's inability to do so. rulesets can be found for other tourneys on smashboards.com.)

WMGC

Smash Cadet
1.) Venue fee for smashers is now $5..... I really hope you know what you're doing. lol

2.) the HiDef issue solution to the problem is.... we have apparently overlooked the smashers with the HiDef televisions and we'd like to offer this in return.......bring your own televisons that you'd be comfortable with and we will move ours out of every station that a replacement tv is available and dont worry about chairs we'll take care of that too.

3.) Straight-forward. Yes we are a business and we did hire the company that you mentioned. I just offered you the same opportunity..... (be easy Jay-o lol) as others because the turnout was great, but I noticed some things that I even promised that wouldnt happen at our next event. I really appreciate your straight forwardness without doubt, and again thanks!

4.) Saturdays - I had asked numerous times a date that would be sufficient for SMASHERS and I got the 25th from fellow SMASHERS because of EVO and it was too far so Friday was not my choice, I was then reminded that school was still in and we changed the times to accomadate. I have a SMASH event scheduled for June 23 on a Saturday and I intend to implement all of your suggestions. I hope you can attend. I havent posted yet, but if you tell me exactly what it takes that's what we'll do. AGAIN, WE'RE HERE FOR THE GAMING COMMUNITY.

The community here wants to have a place to play smash and wants this to work - but you really have to understand that we aren't just being picky, but there are certain things we need to make things work.

I'm all for making things work, remember I work here and I'm the owner....... which means if and when someone comes in with a better idea than ours, believe me it's implemented for your comfortablity for everyone to include me! How can I expect to have a crowd wronged to come back? If we dont know, we cant do anything about it. Again and I know this sounds corny, but I'll make this place SMASHER'S HEAVEN how's that for committment!!!!

We have to start somewhere and my question is where do we start but from the bottom and attempt to work our way to the top without offending anyone or stepping on some toes. It cant be done with my decisions only which is why I've been advocating to make this as smooth as possible.

Not sure if you were here when the young gentleman kicked a hole in our wall which really hurt my feelings. (whynin right now) but the reason I call him a gentleman was because he did the right thing and had the hole repaired at no cost to me except my feelings. (whynin again....lol)

;btw hole kicker you are now welcomed to return for no venue at all and forget the tourney fee for the first visit its on us!

Attempting to be a professional I wont have anything negative to say about J-Tyme, we have to respect b2b but understand please that J-Tyme is not here now and hasnt been here since, and please dont ask if they could host here again. get the picture?

That little corner you spoke of is now wide open and can be used also for whatever you chose to do with it. We're here, and we're waiting.

Pythag

BRoomer
BRoomer
Dang it Plairnk, I've never been to a tournament and now I'm all worried that the tournout on this one won't be any good. I'm still going though, and I could bring a decent TV too.

Jayo

Smash Apprentice
(WMGC thanks for workin hard to make your spot an official smash center) ....

Okay so jus to clarify everything on Both sides

(since everyone is fond of numbers)
1) Future tournys at the Widow Maker (wit the exception of this Fri.) will be held on Saturdays that won't conflict wit other tournys

2) For the Time being, the Official venue fee for the smash bros Community is 5$

3) Singles and Teams will be operational on a "tourny day" and should fall within the range of...Singles: 5-10$, Teams 10 - 20$

4) Space will be provided for chairs and for smashers to bring their own televisions (about 6-8)

Is that straight??​

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
1.) Venue fee for smashers is now $5..... I really hope you know what you're doing. lol

2.) the HiDef issue solution to the problem is.... we have apparently overlooked the smashers with the HiDef televisions and we'd like to offer this in return.......bring your own televisons that you'd be comfortable with and we will move ours out of every station that a replacement tv is available and dont worry about chairs we'll take care of that too.

3.) Straight-forward. Yes we are a business and we did hire the company that you mentioned. I just offered you the same opportunity..... (be easy Jay-o lol) as others because the turnout was great, but I noticed some things that I even promised that wouldnt happen at our next event. I really appreciate your straight forwardness without doubt, and again thanks!

4.) Saturdays - I had asked numerous times a date that would be sufficient for SMASHERS and I got the 25th from fellow SMASHERS because of EVO and it was too far so Friday was not my choice, I was then reminded that school was still in and we changed the times to accomadate. I have a SMASH event scheduled for June 23 on a Saturday and I intend to implement all of your suggestions. I hope you can attend. I havent posted yet, but if you tell me exactly what it takes that's what we'll do. AGAIN, WE'RE HERE FOR THE GAMING COMMUNITY.

I'm all for making things work, remember I work here and I'm the owner....... which means if and when someone comes in with a better idea than ours, believe me it's implemented for your comfortablity for everyone to include me! How can I expect to have a crowd wronged to come back? If we dont know, we cant do anything about it. Again and I know this sounds corny, but I'll make this place SMASHER'S HEAVEN how's that for committment!!!!

We have to start somewhere and my question is where do we start but from the bottom and attempt to work our way to the top without offending anyone or stepping on some toes. It cant be done with my decisions only which is why I've been advocating to make this as smooth as possible.

Not sure if you were here when the young gentleman kicked a hole in our wall which really hurt my feelings. (whynin right now) but the reason I call him a gentleman was because he did the right thing and had the hole repaired at no cost to me except my feelings. (whynin again....lol)

;btw hole kicker you are now welcomed to return for no venue at all and forget the tourney fee for the first visit its on us!

Attempting to be a professional I wont have anything negative to say about J-Tyme, we have to respect b2b but understand please that J-Tyme is not here now and hasnt been here since, and please dont ask if they could host here again. get the picture?

That little corner you spoke of is now wide open and can be used also for whatever you chose to do with it. We're here, and we're waiting.
Sounds good, and I really think you guys are attempting to do the right thing. I can't promise anything becuase of the whole situation with school and things for Friday, but if you host a tournament on June 23rd (that date is clear as far as i know in the smash community) you will get a good sized turnout. Announce it a few weeks in advance and make these things clear, and we'll be sure to rally around it and get people to you.

hova

Smash Champion
don't listen to plairnkk, all you need for a good turn out is G-reg and I advertising that we're going.

me and greg are rockstars

I can be persuaded with food and such

WMGC

Smash Cadet
Jayo everything you said I'm in full compliance and if you'd like to make a few more changes let me know. (You know you got the reigns Friday!).

Hey Rockstars how about making it here Friday the 25th, and Saturday June 23rd but hey I'll take one day instead of both. I've been tryin to persuade with food each time the SMASHERS visit (that's what the $2 was about.... pysch!), and also we have to listen to everyone. that way we're on the good side of SMASHERS!

Plairnkk, thanks for the dialogue it's really gonna make this and all our other events worth coming to..... I HOPE! Do you know how long it took to get Jayo on my team? I dont play SMASH but please understand that we started this business because we knew there was a market not just for SMAHSERS, but for the whole gaming industry.

We dont play favorites, but we tend to fall on Madden more than anything else. I'd suggest that if you play any other games to peek at our upcoming events and see if any tickle your fancy.

Just in case y'all did'nt know....... WMGC IS IN IT FOR THE LONG HAUL.

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
ill probably come friday night, and if i'm impressed ill advocate for the june one for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom