• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Midwest [Jul 4, 2015] FC Smash 15XR: Return (Notre Dame, IN)

KishPrime

King of the Ship of Fools
BRoomer
Updates in first post, including trailer and more!

OS, let's find a time to chat soon.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Our smash games here last around...5 minutes for 2 stock. Smash 4 is kind of a slow game so 3 stock would be reaaaally slow.
3 stock 8 min actually takes less time than 2 stock 6 min matches, surprisingly. You can test it yourself by watching streams and recording game end time averages!

Timing someone out is hard, but it really only occurs when the timer gets down to ~1 minute or so -- then it becomes an 'opportunity'. Why approach when you can wait just one more minute? In campier matches this can start way earlier. The average length of the game time is pushed up significantly due to this.

While 2 stocks should take less than 3 stocks, that makes the assumption that people play with a consistent style throughout a match. I've observed this to not be the case in Smash 4. A 3 stock 8 minute vs. 2 stock 6 minute bracket round takes, on average, the same or less amount of time! In a nightmare scenario, it takes a whopping 6 minutes longer maximum per round, assuming each game is timed out.

2 stock 8 minutes can be faster due to erasing the phenomenon, but not by much, and running two stock is a huge sacrifice when it comes to variance.

Fun facts!
  • In 2 stock, 6 min matches there is ~85% chance that the person who takes the first stock will win that game
  • In 3 stock, 8 min matches, there is ~55% or so chance that the person who takes the first stock will win that game

The same kind of thing happens in Melee too. Have you ever noticed that Pokemon Stadium 1 matches typically end either at the same average time as every other stage OR they take nearly the entire timer? It's the same principle at work, heavily influenced by the stage transformations. People don't attempt to time someone out until the timeout is dangling right there in front of them... but when its a possibility, even Melee looks campy.

You can see more here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whAmI2HdBqw

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Our smash games here last around...5 minutes for 2 stock. Smash 4 is kind of a slow game so 3 stock would be reaaaally slow.
Do you have any links to twitch streams / youtube vids? I'm collecting time data and if your region is above the average, I'd like to see what causes it (characters, stages, mu inexperience, player inexperience, etc.). The average game time for a 2 stock match is 2.5 minutes.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
All of Indiana better go, it's right down the road

Last edited:

Pud'N

Smash Cadet
Hello, are any smashers currently living in South Bend willing to let me crash at their place and play mad friendlies during this weekend? Basically I cant drive so I am riding up with a friend, but he works 7 days a week and is not staying for this tourney, so I am looking for somewhere to crash in between days, as my rie there/back situaion is completely fine. Or if anyone had any kind of other sugestions, all are very welcome!

TheLilK98

Smash Rookie
NNID
TheLilK98
This is the tournament my buddies and I have been waiting for. In my hometown and everything!

Overswarm

is laughing at you
$500 bonus for Smash 4

$100 bonus for the person who goes farthest going ONLY DLC characters (Mewtwo, Roy, Ryu, Lucas)

TheLilK98

Smash Rookie
NNID
TheLilK98
Anyone have an estimate on entries?
Smash in splash (also in Indiana? iirc) got 300ish melee entrants I'm pretty sure

I'm hoping this is a big/huge tourney!
So far there are about 150, so I'd say about 250-300 ish is reasonable.

Hostageclam

Smash Cadet
NNID
flood0f72
Question about spectating: a handful of my friends and I are driving up for this, are spectators subject to venue fee as well?

Overswarm

is laughing at you
everyone bring setups, preferrably with EVO custom sets on

bring your 3DS if you want to upload your own sets

Top Bottom