• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Jul 19, 2014] Melee & PM @ GAME JUNKIE Summer Gamecation 2014 (Hamilton, Ohio)

Doctor X

Smash Lord
Apologies for the late notice, but I didn't want to have a smashboards post until we had some more details hammered out, but...

For those of you who don't remember, Game Junkie was an awesome game store near Cincinnati, OH. They helped establish gaming as a social activity, and played a major role in starting all sorts of competitive scenes around the area. If you ask around, there's very few smashers in Cincinnati who aren't thankful for what they did for us.

Sadly, the store itself has long since closed, but they still maintain their community by having parties and occasional convention-style events. One such event is Summer Gamecation 2014, a 2-day event featuring tons of games and activities, and it's occurring this coming weekend (July 19th-20th). I've been asked to run Super Smash Bros events, one of which (Melee Singles) will be featured as a main event for the Gamecation. They will be giving Smash its own space at the venue, and everything sounds awesome.

We hit a bit of a snag in planning, however. The Gamecation itself is paid entry ($15-20 depending on whether you pay online or at the door), and a lot of the attendees are not super hardcore tournament players of any sort, so Game Junkie wants all of their main events to come free with the cost of the Gamecation ticket. They'll provide fun (likely non-cash) prizes, of course, but they weren't wanting a pot to be collected and distributed, as is traditional with smash tournaments.

I figured this would hurt our attendance any hype a little, so I worked out a compromise that we're actually pretty excited about. If it goes well, some variant of it may become commonplace at future Cincinnati smash events. So, here's how it works:
  • Melee doubles, as well as all PM tournaments, will be $5 entry. Nothing unusual here.
  • Melee singles will have a $5 entry pools event. It is open to everybody, but it is targeted mainly at tournament players.
    • The the top 3-4 of these pools (depending on turnout) will advance to a final bracket.
    • Those who are eliminated from pools will have a chance to come back, described below.
  • Melee singles will also have a free entry amateur bracket. No cost to enter, but established tournament players are not permitted to enter it directly.
    • Those eliminated from pools will be seeded into the later stages of this bracket, so that the amateur players will have an opportunity to take on some mid-level people, instead of getting immediately paired against the best, as is otherwise common.
    • The top 4-8 (depending on turnout) of the amateur bracket will be entered into the final bracket as lower seeds.
  • The pot from the pools event will be paid to the top 3-5 of the final bracket.
Again, I realize this is a bit short-notice, and that it's only a $5 event with a $15-20 "venue fee," but just to let everyone know? Game Junkie is composed of fantastic, passionate people and this event is sure to be a blast, with or without smash. With that "venue fee" comes tons of other stuff over the course of two days, and you're free to come and go as you wish. If you're interested, you can save yourself some money by pre-registering here.

As for smash-specific details...

Shedule
  • Saturday
    • 12PM: Doors open. Registration for all Melee events begins.
    • 12:30PM: Registration for Melee doubles closes.
    • 1PM: Melee doubles bracket begins.
    • 2:30PM: Registration for Melee pools closes.
    • 3PM: Melee pools begin.
    • 6:30PM: Registration for Melee amateur bracket closes.
    • 7PM: Melee amateur bracket begins.
    • 9PM: Melee final bracket begins.
  • Sunday
    • 10AM: Registration for all Project M events begins.
    • 11:30 AM: Registration for Project M doubles closes.
    • 12PM: Project M doubles bracket begins.
    • 12:30PM: Registration for Project M singles closes.
    • 1PM: Project M singles pools begin.
    • 2PM: Project M singles bracket begins.
    • 6PM: Venue closes and we're gone...
NOTE: Sunday will have strict time constraints because the venue closes in the evening. Depending on turnout and the number of setups, PM doubles may or may not (but very likely will) be a possibility. I included it on the schedule anyway, but be aware that in the worst case scenario it will have to be dropped.

Setup Incentives
So, I realize that without venue fee discounts we may see people get lazy with setups. So... I'll be offering $5 out of my own pocket to the first 8 people that show up with Melee setups on Saturday. The same will go for PM on Sunday. That will take care of some of your ticket price, right? Basically what I'm trying to say is bring some damn setups, guys. :O

Housing
I'm pleased to announce, this is in fact an all-night event and you are free to sleep at the venue. Most people present will be doing so, I believe. I recommend bringing sleeping bags, pillows, etc.

Payouts
If we don't break 32 Pools Entrants:
  • 1st-- 50%
  • 2nd-- 25%
  • 3rd-- 15%
  • 4th-- 10%
If we get more than 32:
  • 1st-- 40%
  • 2nd-- 25%
  • 3rd-- 15%
  • 4th-- 10%
  • 5th-- 5%
  • 5th-- 5%

Rules

Project M Stage List
Instead of either of the stage lists from above, Project M will use the following:

Neutral Stages
  • Final Destination
  • Battlefield
  • Smashville
  • Pokemon Stadium 2
  • Dreamland (64)
  • Fountain of Dreams
  • Yoshi’s Story (Melee) [Singles Only]
  • Distant Planet [Doubles Only]
Counter-Pick Stages
  • Yoshi’s Island (Brawl)
  • Metal Cavern
  • Lylat Cruise
  • Wario Ware
  • Green Hill Zone
  • Skyloft
  • Skyworld

Last edited:

Amida64

Smash Journeyman
Awesome, the way you all worked this out was genius. I thought there was no compromise, lol. Cool to see he was willing to work it out.

SoulPech

Smash Master
My plans to go to MIchigan have now been thwarted. Guess i'm going to this. I'm also bringing Fizzle, zyth, and someone else.

Village Mascot

Smash Rookie
As you already know, I am coming / registered. Rizner said he is not coming, so I might need a partner for doubles. Anyone coming that doesn't have a partner lemme know.

KingChaos

Smash Journeyman
If me and Pyrogamer can get a housing situation figured out we will likely come to this. If not then we will probably go to Michigan.

Doctor X

Smash Lord
Bump for some updates. Yeah I realize it's kind of last-minute.

Those wondering about housing will be pleased to know that they can indeed stay at the venue overnight.

Top Bottom