• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

J's Quick Popcorn Mafia! D4 Totoro's Dilemma Ends 12/22; 12pm EST

#HBC | ѕoup

The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.
Thoughts still feel the same and nothing has really changed from me despite feeling like an ass if I'm somehow wrong on Maven twice in a row.

The Man From Delamar

Smash Journeyman
Alright Kary. I'm eating dinner at my desk, filing a couple reports and then leaving the office. If you wanna be patient I'd be happy to hop in when I get home and take one more run through the game.

If you have questions or things you'd like me to look at, hit me. Frankly you're kinda givin me the vibe you're lookin hard at shootin me, and I'm not in love with the idea of just hitting a reset button on D2 and having to read the exact same cast with 100% of the pressure on my shoulders. You have my scum read and my reasons and you dont seem to like them. Doesn't mean Im stayin quiet and takin my chances.

#HBC | J

Prince of DGamesia
Kary, Princess Mononoke, has shot incorrectly and fallen into darkness!

Gheb, My Neighbor Totoro, has control of the gun! May he choose wisely...

D3 ends 12/21 at 12pm EST.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Tell me why the other two are scum. I will shoot you on the spot if you're trying to argue for yourself to be town.

:059:

The Man From Delamar

Smash Journeyman
I'm sorry, I had a long night last night and just couldn't find it in me to get back to the thread before I went to sleep.

Are you kidding me

Shoot deal then kill soup, who for the love of God needs another mafia play then AtE
This didn't even need to be said. It's blantantly obvious that you, me, and Soup are gonna be rootin' fer Gheb to shoot the other two players.

Just a quick observation before I log out, but is it me or were Kary and Joey both really... cryptic about who they were gonna shoot?

The Man From Delamar

Smash Journeyman
Haha, y'all afraid to break the ice because you're scum or what?

So this is weird, I've never been in a situation where I gotta "scumhunt" and I already know what the answers are.

I feel my points on Maven stand up just fine and frankly the ham and cheese sandwich he served up as though "shoot del then soup" smacks of a pisspoor attempt at fakin' the townie mindset, forgetting that from a townie POV it's "wake up on D3, you know who the bad guys are". I also don't think it's a coincidence that he said to shoot me and then soup, knowing that me getting shot would win 'em the game and all.

Kary seemed pretty peeved with me not providing thoughts on you ( ~ Gheb ~ ~ Gheb ~ ) or Soup, but honestly, I felt pretty good on my Maven read and didn't see him NOT shootin' em until he started to circle on me (and then you). I was kind of... okay with it? To be honest, I really could not figure out the opportunist between Soup/Gheb for the life of me because the days have been so fast and loose. It's like the fast pace of epic mafia without the dynamic ability to hold people accountable from moment to moment or a pace that moves fast enough people can't plot their moves or what they say.

I didn't know who of Soup/Gheb was the other probable bad guy, but as long as Kary didn't shoot Soup I had a feeling the game wouldn't end in disaster. If I'm bein' honest, Gheb, I was kinda leanin' toward you as a partner suspect, but trying to hunt a pair almost ****ed me in minimafia (remember all those PMs tethering Dietz to my good read on Kaladin?) so I just rolled with it. I don't know you but you felt kinda hands off. Obviously I was wrong there, which brings me to my next point...

I found soup's lack of presence when you suggested a Maven/Del scumteam, and while I was pushing Maven and he was pushing me, pretty suspect. Now that everything is locked in, it seems obvious to me that he was holding back and hoping Kary would shoot me, since Soup had already gone for a townDel read and was making the same push I was. Between you quietly offering me as a scumread from the back row and Maven pushing me hard, I think Soup was the best positioned for trying to survive The Gunslinger From Delamar, especially when he saw that I was trying to see his point of view.

I also found Maven's 180 on soup for the literal same span of play to be suspect and it seems to me like he noticed me grilling Soup a bit and panicked a bit, assuming that the town was going to turn against Soup. When that didn't happen, Maven is "back at his computer" and suddenly he town reads all that same stuff that bothered him. AKA "I thought my scumbuddy was cornered, but it turns out he wasn't, so I change my mind lol"

No idea what else to say. maven locked onto me in the beginning for some pretty bad reasons and changed his mind around on soup based on the whims of the town. Soup wasn't around while you were floating me as a partner for Maven and Kary had just questioned me in a way that at least implied he was lookin' at shootin me (unpredictable indeed) and then came back at the very end of the Day to reiterate his Maven suspicions, which would look pretty terrific had Kary shot him. Both have had weird inconsistencies when prodded and having their alignments confirmed locks it all together real solid for me.

I could dig through the thread and try to bury them in a mountain case but what's the point. 1 + 1 = 2, kill those crackas

The Man From Delamar

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, wow, I keep thinkin' about it. I was definitely leaning heavily to shooting Maven if I ended up with the gun, and Soup's play on D2 positions so perfectly for that possibility after Maven had been trying to get me killed all game.

#HBC | J

Prince of DGamesia

Maven, Kiki's Delivery Service, Mafia Goon, has been turned back into a peaceful memory!

Gheb, My Neighbor Totoro shot correctly! He maintains control of the gun in the final shoot out.

Will he make the right decision between the final two? Only time will tell, will the ending be hopeful or full of despair?

D4 ends 12/22 at 12pm EST!

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
I found soup's lack of presence when you suggested a Maven/Del scumteam, and while I was pushing Maven and he was pushing me, pretty suspect. Now that everything is locked in, it seems obvious to me that he was holding back and hoping Kary would shoot me, since Soup had already gone for a townDel read and was making the same push I was.
I find this rather convincing in case it wasn't obvious yet. Soup better have some good argument in petto.

:059:

#HBC | ѕoup

It's more like I had my ideals set in stone and I didn't feel like I had much else to say. There's nothing more to do anymore besides plead innocence, so tell me whatever you need to hear.

#HBC | ѕoup

I suppose by proxy you could say I townread Delamar but it was more-so I didn't think he was aligned with Maven. Good job faking that whole interaction where you said you wouldn't spoonfeed him.

The Man From Delamar

Smash Journeyman
Uh-huh. So you just coincidentally felt no need to say anything while somebody (now confirmed town) was tying your town read to your scumread partner (now confirmed scum).

While the fella with the gun was proddin' me and likely considering shootin' me. Yup, just nothin of value to say came to mind there at all.

Yeah, oookay there pardner.

ScumSoup was best positioned by far. I think he held back because of this and hoped I'd get shot, shoot maven, and then townread him over gheb who had previously tied me to maven and played the game somewhat hands off

Or kary shoots you, Gheb, and then assuming maven dies soup just needs to appeal to the guy he has hardly said much about and who already publicly tied maven to me. Or so it seemed at the time

Worst case, maven gets shot on D2 and soup is already positioned amazing with towndel and having pushed scummaven.

Having nothing else to say ain't an explanation for stayin' silent while a townread gets tethered to his scumpick, draws scrutiny from the guy with the gun and so on. There's little town motive to be quiet there even if your reads are stagnant; I think soup was hoping anybody BUT maven would get shot there because his positioning was optimized for it, and now here we are.

I reiterate, kill these crackas

#HBC | J

Prince of DGamesia
Gheb, My Neighbor Totoro, has shot incorrectly and has fallen to darkness!

Soup, Howl's Moving Castle, has fallen to darkness due to despair of no one else remaining to help!

The Man From Delamar, Spirited Away, Mafia Goon has corrupted all the memories and spirited them all away!

Mafia Wins!

#HBC | J

Prince of DGamesia
So general thoughts are that the mafia played much better than any member of town did. The only person I had hope for that town was going to win was Ghebberoo, but the sad part is he let his player views jade seeing Delly as the final scum. Sad day, but I'm happy as the host because I wanted Spirited Away to win because that's my favorite movie Miyazaki series.

Anyways! Thanks ya'll for playing my little game and if DGames would like I would be okay with hosting another one or if anyone else wanted to take a stab at hosting a small/popcorn type mafia game then I'll gladly turn the thread over to them so they may do as they please.

But yeah thank you guys! It was fun to watch and host this game. Sorry the last flip was so late, I was out haha.

#HBC | Gorf

toastin walrus since 4/20 maaaan
i dont think i ever noticed it before (maybe i played with less tantalizing numbers but still) the mechanics of popcorn seem like they really **** with scum. mostly cuz there's no Night, and scum has zero direct influence on the gamestate.

also agreed with del and gheb regarding the 3 day Day. i mean sure its just supposed to be a quick little game but with a community that gravitates toward slower paced play, and in a game with no Night, that was brutal.

i only read this game cuz it was six pages dont judge me

The Man From Delamar

Smash Journeyman
If I'm bein honest I probably woulda made the same shot Gheb did. The logic added up better for Maven and Soup, really, unless you wanted to get into the black hole of WIFOM that was our interactions. And I feel I made a dang good case (and nice and concise, as Ranmaru suggested!)

I'm also startin to feel like it's my fate to always be the same alignment as Maven and end up unable to be friends until the very end of the game

Maven89

Smash Master
I was hoping my weird reasons to read Soup as town would make people think there was zero reason to read him as town, I knew Kary was gravitating towards it that read and was hoping it could influence Kary to shoot Soup, instead he shot Gheb but at least it made it look like I was partners with Soup

#HBC | Kary

Fiend of Fire
hey. well played scum.

sorry I put you in it Gheb. If I didn't shoot you I probably would've shot soup (:rolleyes:) because I was reading him as the scummiest. I felt like you could go in a lot of different teams, and if I was wrong, you were the person I wanted with the gun.

Maven I was back and forth on (your last post Day 1 was really awful IMO) but both you and Del seemed relatively townie, especially when compared to soup who was (apparently) trying to throw the game as hard as possible.

I'm curious how this would have gone given slightly longer deadlines, but anyways. Also, don't shoot me XD

gg

#HBC | Kary

Fiend of Fire
I was hoping my weird reasons to read Soup as town would make people think there was zero reason to read him as town, I knew Kary was gravitating towards it that read and was hoping it could influence Kary to shoot Soup, instead he shot Gheb but at least it made it look like I was partners with Soup
At first I thought it was bull****. After a while I began to think you were sincere about it.

I think at some point I was tunneled on soup being scum and couldn't shake it. Gheb even asked me about it but that conversation didn't go anywhere, and I certainly didn't have time to let my reads stew and reflect on them.

That being said, I'm with Gheb on this one - I still think soup deserved to get shot based on his play.

Last edited:
Top Bottom