• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

JRPG Thread

Hunybear

Smash Ace
Talk about everything JRPG!

What are the best games?
Whats your favorite?
What ones would you recommend?
What have you played and what are you playing?
Whats the worst and why?
Best story or worst story?
Cool things?
Retro things?

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Best games to me
- Chrono Trigger, FFs, DQ, Seiken Densetsu 3, Lufia, Tales of, Personas, etc. There's just too many.

Favorite
- Chrono Trigger

Recommend?
- Any of the classics really. It especially helps, so you won't be bothered how a game aged all that much

Currently Playing?
- Radiant Historia again. Great game. Just finished my playthrough of Final Fantasy XII IZJS last month.

Worst?
- There's a lot of bad ones I've heard. As for ones I own, it'd be the first Neptunia on PS3. Weird game design decisions, runs awful, a bunch of things that just didn't work but later got fixed in the series.

Best/Worst Story
- Best is maybe Tactics Ogre because of the more sophisticated writing and paths it has? Worst, I dunno, a lot fall under the generic umbrella that I can't single one out.

Cool Things
- Tales battle system. Specifically Destiny Remake and Graces

Retro Things
- Anything Dragon Quest

Hunybear

Smash Ace
- Anything Dragon Quest
Omg I played the OG Dragon warrior on NES like 5 months ago and i almost died of boredom lol ^_^
not to down on your game or anything but it was literally just numbers going up.
I think dragon quest 8 is my fave cuz the monster team.

Last edited:

windlessusher

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Hakudamashi
3DS FC
3050-7676-0039
Whats your favorite?
My favourites are the Kingdom Hearts and Final Fantasies, they rarely let me down

I generally recommend Squaresoft/Squareenix stuff, they know what they're doing when it comes to RPGs more often than not.

I just recently got off playing Earthbound, is pretty swell, albeit a bit too grindy, but I do plan to get to Drakengard 3 next.

Whats the worst and why?
The worst I find to be cases where you gotta grind for hours just to get a move on comfortably, like Dragon Quest 8. It's a real pace breaker and it kinda de-motivates me to continue.

Uh, Final Fantasy 7 has my favourite love story, but best in general I dunno, but the worst to me is Star Ocean 3

Cool things?
Omnislash

Retro things?
Citizens of Earth reminds me of Eathbound and that's neat.

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
Best games to me:
Atlus stuff for the most part, Chrono Trigger, FFs, DQs, Pokemon

My Favorite:
Chrono Trigger

Recomend:
Atlus stuff for modern RPGs, whether I recommend Persona, mainline SMT, or something more out there like Etrian Odyssey would depend on the tastes of the person I'm recommending games to. Chrono Trigger for the 16-bit era. FFIX for the PS1 era.

Currently Playing:
Chrono Trigger. I recently finished Chrono Cross, and its issues made me want to go back to the better game.

Worst:
I don't know, I tend to be pretty good at avoiding awful things. I don't have anything nice to say about FFXIII I guess, but I know there are worse things out there.

Best/Worst Story:
This is complicated, Chrono Trigger's journey will always have a spot in my heart. FFIX too. The characters in Persona 4 were great.
Worst, well Chrono Cross is the most recent one to leave me not happy with its story.

Cool Things:
I like turn based battle systems with flexible class systems or monster taming.

Retro Things:
I don't know, everyone already knows all the retro stuff I've played.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Omg I played the OG Dragon warrior on NES like 5 months ago and i almost died of boredom lol ^_^
not to down on your game or anything but it was literally just numbers going up.
I think dragon quest 8 is my fave cuz the monster team.
Original NES DQ1 didn't age well. I don't think I could play the originals of those again. The remakes are better thankfully.
DQ3 is definitely the best of the first three.

finalark

SNORLAX
Talk about everything JRPG!

What are the best games?

Chrono Trigger, the stronger Final Fantasies, the SMT series (including Persona 2 and 4), Skies of Arcadia

Whats your favorite?
Tie between Final Fantasy IX and Chrono Trigger.

Literally all of the games I listed as "the best."

We'd be here all day if I listed all the JRPGs I've played. The last JRPG I played through was FFX-2, which was alright. Once Christmas break hits I'm planning on playing through Baiten Kaitos (which has been collecting dust on my shelf for months). That being said, I've also been really wanting to play Chrono Trigger again and I've been wanting to try and get into DQ. So many games, so little time.

Whats the worst and why?
Probably Rivera: The Promise Land. Incredibly pointless weapon durability system, having to grind endlessly in a weird "fake battle" mode whenever you got a new weapon, a movement system that punished exploration, non-existent difficulty horribly cliched and forgettable cast, bland story. I would have dropped it like a rock but the circumstances under which I played it rendered it my only time killer. It's probably the only JRPG I've beaten that I couldn't say a single good thing about.

Best? Persona 4. Worst? Final Fantasy X-2. I've played plenty of JPRGs with stories that were bland and forgettable, but FFX-2 is such a slap to fans of the original that it's frustrating rather than boring.

Cool things?
Retro things?
I have a CIB copy of Famicom Final Fantasy III.

Albie83

Smash Apprentice
My favorite JRPG is Xenogears. I rented it a long time ago and I fell in love with it right away.

I also got to mention Legend of Legaia as it was the first JRPG that I really got into and got me addicted to playing more.

I will recommend Lost Odyssey. It wasn't very popular as it came out for the 360 only and wasn't very well advertised. Final Fantasy XIII still had the excitement even though Lost Odyssey was created by the same people who made the Playstation Final Fantasy games. It felt like what a current JRPG should be. Great story, secrets galore and a world map to explore. If you have an XBox 360 and like JRPGs, I will suggest you pick this up. It is pretty cheap now as it came out in 2008.

finalark

SNORLAX
I will recommend Lost Odyssey. It wasn't very popular as it came out for the 360 only and wasn't very well advertised. Final Fantasy XIII still had the excitement even though Lost Odyssey was created by the same people who made the Playstation Final Fantasy games. It felt like what a current JRPG should be. Great story, secrets galore and a world map to explore. If you have an XBox 360 and like JRPGs, I will suggest you pick this up. It is pretty cheap now as it came out in 2008.
This game always looked really cool to me, but unfortunately I never got a chance to play it since it's 360 exclusive. It wasn't very popular and doesn't have much of a following so a rerelease is unlikely. Real shame since nearly everyone I've talked to who has actually played it really enjoyed it.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I guess I'll throw some more recommendations out there that are PS1 gen and on?

Lunar games
Grandia games
Shin Megami Tensei 3
Digital Devil Saga
Tales of Destiny PS2 DC (JP only)
Tales of Symphonia/Graces/Vesperia
Nier
Lost Odyssey

It's unfortunate that Vesperia PS3 is JP only, the game is so polished for a Tales game. Someone uploaded the entire translation of the PS3 on a website in an easy to view way, including items, skits, etc. If anyone doesn't mind playing with a guide but loving Tales, it's really worth it.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681

What are the best games?

I'd rather do series, not games. Final Fantasy, Pokemon, Dragon Quest, Chrono series, Tales Series, Monster Hunter, Breath of Fire, god...I know that's probably the tip of the iceberg.

Whats your favorite?

I came into this jrpg world with Breath of Fire, and by god I'll exit it too playing Breath of Fire.

Really just the basics. Final Fantasy, Pokemon, Breath of Fire (That is a basic, dangit). Lately I'd highly say Monster Hunter, and Dragon's Dogma if you like that gameplay but want a more solo feel with a storyli....nah it's japanese skyrim who am I kidding.

Too much to list, but as far playing right now; I have Monster Hunter running as I type this, I recently platinum'd Final Fantasy X, and Pokemon :)

Whats the worst and why?

I listed it, but I find the Tales series just stale and boring. Maybe I've had too many bad experiences, or it just isn't my cup of tea, but everything feels grotesquely drawn out.

Read Above.

Cool things?

Cool Drinks

Retro things?

I think I already said it...Breath of Fire! :D

finalark

SNORLAX
Tales of Symphonia/Graces/Vesperia

It's unfortunate that Vesperia PS3 is JP only, the game is so polished for a Tales game. Someone uploaded the entire translation of the PS3 on a website in an easy to view way, including items, skits, etc. If anyone doesn't mind playing with a guide but loving Tales, it's really worth it.
The only Tales games I ever played were Symphonia and a little bit of Phantasia. I've always been curious to know what the series offers beyond that, but these games are expensive. Plus while Symphonia is fun and nostalgic it honestly is pretty generic and hits a lot of JRPG tropes I don't care for. So I'm a little wary about dropping the crash to try the other games.

windlessusher

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Hakudamashi
3DS FC
3050-7676-0039
I personally loved Tales of Xillia and think everyone should give it a try.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
The only Tales games I ever played were Symphonia and a little bit of Phantasia. I've always been curious to know what the series offers beyond that, but these games are expensive. Plus while Symphonia is fun and nostalgic it honestly is pretty generic and hits a lot of JRPG tropes I don't care for. So I'm a little wary about dropping the crash to try the other games.
Vesperia is probably the safest out of the series and is really good. But yeah, unfortunately it's import only on PS3. Definitely one of those games that's still very Japanese, but the ideas just click well with a western audience (like its main character).

I wouldn't touch Graces if I were you. While it's one of my favorites because of the gameplay scenario and having the best battle system imo out of the series, it has a really bad story with bad characters. The characters are at their best in comedy skits, but anything mainline storywise it's not too great. A lot of frustrating moments with the cast.

A lot of my favorites out of the series is JP only, so it's hard for me to recommend certain games out of the series. There's also polarizing opinions on each one. I like Tales, but all games definitely did not click with me compared to how it did for others.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
I must've missed something because the Tales games struggled to hold appeal to me. I also didn't care for Star Ocean too much, either. Hmm maybe I need to go back and try again.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I must've missed something because the Tales games struggled to hold appeal to me. I also didn't care for Star Ocean too much, either. Hmm maybe I need to go back and try again.
I mostly like the older ones to tbh. They're not for everyone. The highlight of it is the battle system. But if you're not the type to figure out how to make sure of how to open up the battle system, it dampens the experience. The PS2 JP games I enjoyed a lot. Vesperia and Graces I enjoy for different reasons. Anything after those games, I've been lukewarm about, even as a Tales fan.

A lot of staff members left after the company dissolved and got absorbed into Bandai Namco.

finalark

SNORLAX
Admittedly my first experience with Star Ocean was a massive let down. I remember being super hyped to play a true sci-fi RPG when I got Second Story when I was a kid only to be horribly disappointed. I felt the same way about SO3, even if I thought the game itself was pretty fun. But I've been toying with the idea of rebuying a PS2 to go back and revisit JRPGs that didn't get re-released on PS3. If I ever do then I might pick up SO3 and give it a second chance with a more open mind, especially with SO5 on the horizon.

windlessusher

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Hakudamashi
3DS FC
3050-7676-0039
Speaking of JRPGs not being on PS3
When's Bamco gonna get on that .Hack HD Collection? It's long overdue!

windlessusher

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Hakudamashi
3DS FC
3050-7676-0039
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Xenosaga supposed to be more than 3 games?

oZzIIgk

Smash Journeyman
What are the best games?
eb0
Whats your favorite?
eb0
eb0
eb0 and breath of fire
Whats the worst and why?
the ones that arent eb0
eb0 has the best story
Cool things?
eb0
Retro things?
Make a guess.

windlessusher

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Hakudamashi
3DS FC
3050-7676-0039

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
I'd consider looking into that Star Ocean 2 thing...if I didn't already own Star Ocean: First Departure and Star Ocean: Second Evolution on PSP.

windlessusher

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Hakudamashi
3DS FC
3050-7676-0039
Wait, so it's a re-release of SMT4? Not a sequel or anything like that?

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Playing through Tales of Zestiria right now. This PC port is really nice. Game performs a lot better than it did on PS3.

windlessusher

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Hakudamashi
3DS FC
3050-7676-0039
I tried Legend of Legacy demo on the 3DS

First, I was thinking it was pretty simple and easy seeing how you heal after every fight like FF13
Then you get to the second stage
Jesus Christ, that difficulty spike.

I've been playing SMTIII.

IMO it's actually a bit easier than SMTIV was.
Not when your entire party gets wiped out by Mudo right after you finish the Puzzle Boy's puzzles and it took you probably too long to figure it out but you finally did it GOD DAMN IT.

:158:

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
I've been playing SMTIII.

IMO it's actually a bit easier than SMTIV was.
I'd actually agree.

I didn't find either game to be that difficult, the press turn battle system is so easy to break in your favor, especially when both games have such a customizable main character. SMTIV is difficult for the Naraku section at least, and low level demons can still be a bit of a threat thanks to there being no defense stat. Nocturne doesn't really throw anything scary at a player that has a decent idea of what they're doing other than a few bosses that need a very specific approach to defeat them.

finalark

SNORLAX
Nocturne doesn't really throw anything scary at a player that has a decent idea of what they're doing other than a few bosses that need a very specific approach to defeat them.
So far the hardest thing about Nocturne has been Matador, who comes right out of nowhere and faceroll your party into the ground. But once you know his strategy it's not too hard to fuse a party that can counter him. The fight can still be tough due to his high damage output, but as long as you don't have anyone with force weakness he won't be getting any extra turns.

Top Bottom