• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

JP Brawl Confirmed to Run WITH UPDATE on US Wii! (with cyclowiz)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeeHarris

Smash Lord
Tusharix, a trusted member over at BC has been doing a lot of testing the past few days and he just announced that the retail copy of Brawl will load on a US Wii with Cyclowiz! And heres the best part... he did the full update and it only gave him duplicate channels!

Here is a video of him applying the update and running the game:
http://www.youtube.com/v/2enlWg2rIpE

He also posted a video that shows that Wiikey is confirmed to NOT work. Sorry Wiikey users... in the mean time, why don't you flash your Wiikey with a JDM programmer with YAOSM? It is confirmed to run on YOASM as well.

Rejoice!

geogaither

Smash Apprentice
My friend has a wiikey, i know nothing about it...
what time frame would you say we'd be able to download/burn/play brawl?
Is it even possible to burn dual-layered?

LeeHarris

Smash Lord
Yes, as long as you have a dual layered disc and burner. DL discs are expensive though. I'd recommend Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden (sp?) if you end up needing one.

Apparently someone figured out how to dump the first layer of the disc and it is playable until it hits a point in SSE where it needs to access the second layer.

As for a time frame, if you are a Wiikey user you're going to have to wait for a patch. For all other chips I'd give it one to two days.

LeeHarris

Smash Lord
All Brickblocker does is remove the partition that contains an update. The update isn't what is causing the problem for Wiikey. Bell, the creator of YAOSM, theorized that it was Wiikey's +R/+RW/+R DL support that was causing the error.

We won't even need to use Brickblocker because when you apply the update to a US Wii all it does is give you dupe channels.

Zagman: if you have a wiikey on a JP wii, just disable the chip or de-solder it temporarily.

asheam

Smash Rookie
The most likely reason why it doesn't work on wiikey is that while it does have dual layer support the region free part is directed to look only on the first layer of the disc. In the case of brawl the region locking part is on the second layer. IF this is the case it will be very easy for wiikey to release a patch so if you have wiikey just wait it out.

Yes wiikey is still active even though they don't have a website.

LeeHarris

Smash Lord
The most likely reason why it doesn't work on wiikey is that while it does have dual layer support the region free part is directed to look only on the first layer of the disc. In the case of brawl the region locking part is on the second layer. IF this is the case it will be very easy for wiikey to release a patch so if you have wiikey just wait it out.

Yes wiikey is still active even though they don't have a website.
Yeah, the company who currently works on D2Ckey is the same one that made Wiikey. I'm sure they'll distribute a patch eventually. They were a bit slow on the SMG patch, but not too bad.

zagman: is it mounted internally or externally? if it is external just disconnect it. if it is internal you will need to open it up and desolder it or take it out of the PIC socket.

red kirby: duplicate channels. they appear sometimes when another region's firmware is updated on your console.

zagman505

Smash Cadet
ah crap i just realized that i'm not going to be able to get a retail copy of brawl anytime soon, so never mind disabling the wiikey won't help me anyway. when do you think that the wiikey patch will come out? man, school lets out for a week starting tmrw, and i won't be able to play brawl over it because of this =(

fazares

Smash Apprentice
does it work on pal wiis as well...?
u know...for the ones that dont even have a release date to begin with...:-/
anyway ...i think its better to wait for the us release.....

Eggm

Smash Hero
So it is indeed a dual layered DVD? I have a dual layered DVD burner, as well as DVD-R DL's and a wiikey, I don't care if I can play only half the game, although I've read it works fine from other wiikey users on other forums.

I just need the ISO lol.

Myztek

Smash Ace
DAMMIT!

I bought a Wiikey just for this! :(

EDIT:
I just found some good news. I hope it's true, as I don't know the reliability:
Taiwan guy has dumped the game data from the SSBB DL disc.

He uses the Wiikey DVD dumper on the Wii with D2Ckey to dump the game data in the 2nd layer of the D9 DVD, using a 2G sd card as a storage.

The data can be burned on normal D5 disc, and can be recognised by both D2Ckey and Wiikey Wii consoles.

But it sounds the data on the 2nd layer is not completed. When he plays the single mode of sub-space advanture, wii reports error.

Anyway, this is a good news

Zant3tsuken

Smash Journeyman
If anyone finds out if they can get it working for a PAL console, please post it. I suspect it will be worth quite a lot to the folks waiting over here. :s

Myztek

Smash Ace
So apparently when this guy dumped the game, it only had data for a D5 disc. He says he doesn't know whether it's D9 and he can't dump the second layer, or if a D9 disc was used and only the first layer has data.

So he tested the game on a D2C and a Wiikey'd D2B and both worked.
When he went home he tested the game 4 times. 3 times the game worked perfect, 1 time there was an error.

He said the most important thing is that it IS playable on a Wiikey on a 3.1 Wii. Said he was also able to play Wiifit.
asdfsfsfsaf

Kirby King

Master Lameoid
Premium
BRoomer
This thread is getting dangerously close to discussing illicit stuff. We don't condone downloading ISOs of games or anything like that without the permission of the people who own it, and since Nintendo has not (to my knowledge) given such permission, I'm going to shut this down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom