• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Joker Announced For Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

Joker.jpg

Last night during The Game Awards 2018 on December 6th, it was announced that Persona 5’s Joker is coming to Super Smash Bros. Ultimate as a playable newcomer!

Joker is sure to have come as a surprise to many of us, and supposedly this isn’t even where the surprises end, as Reggie Fils-Aimé said that all of the DLC characters will be unexpected choices at The Game Awards right after Joker was revealed. Currently nothing is known about how Joker will play, as no gameplay footage of the character has been shown yet, however what we do know is that he is part of the first challenger pack, which will contain Joker, one new stage and additional music tracks. This challenger pack will be available to purchase both on its own and as a part of the Fighters Pass, which comes with the five confirmed challenger packs and grants the buyer access to a special Mii Costume made in Rex from Xenoblade Chronicles 2’s likeness.

If you want to see the trailer for yourself, check out the video below!

Author’s Note: Did you see this coming? Are you excited to play as Joker? Please let us know in the comments below!

Mitchell "Zerp" Brenkus

Comments

Can we stop complaining about Nintendo putting in fighters nobody asked for? It’s a noble idea to add surprise characters, because it also pleases fans, and I’ll argue even more then a ballot character can. And Nintendo is doing what may not make as much money, but is still doing it for the fans.
And what do they get in return?
Salt. And a lot of it.

View attachment 182139

Last night during The Game Awards 2018 on December 6th, it was announced that Persona 5’s Joker is coming to Super Smash Bros. Ultimate as a playable newcomer!

Joker is sure to have come as a surprise to many of us, and supposedly this isn’t even where the surprises end, as Reggie Fils-Aimé said that all of the DLC characters will be unexpected choices at The Game Awards right after Joker was revealed. Currently nothing is known about how Joker will play, as no gameplay footage of the character has been shown yet, however what we do know is that he is part of the first challenger pack, which will contain Joker, one new stage and additional music tracks. This challenger pack will be available to purchase both on its own and as a part of the Fighters Pass, which comes with the five confirmed challenger packs and grants the buyer access to a special Mii Costume made in Rex from Xenoblade Chronicles 2’s likeness.

If you want to see the trailer for yourself, check out the video below!

Author’s Note: Did you see this coming? Are you excited to play as Joker? Please let us know in the comments below!
We all know who he stole it from:

Attachments

I'm gonna post on SmashBoards about how Joker stole my favorite character's spot over and over until Nintendo notices and fixes it.

Same. Joker may not get my fanboy blood going, but I have faith at least one will be of mild interest.

If not, at least I got Piranha Plant.
The plant. Saving people salt since 2018. Seriously though I think the best dlc character is going to be Piranha Plant just for the sheer fact that most people don’t argue over it and find his inclusion to be quite humourous. In fact, he is my second favorite newcomer after K. Rool (our of the ones we know of, but I highly doubt the remainder of dlc will be that good anyway.)

Last edited:
I'm actually excited for the addition of Joker. I guess that could be those of us who actually play persona 5 but I think he is a great addition. I was not expecting it whatsoever and it makes me think what other surprises Nintendo can pull out of there pockets.

Funnily enough of the few games I have played for PS4, Persona 5 is the one I was just about to finish when this reveal came about. So I was floored by the reveal, when my friend who is assistant manager at Gamestop told me "Joker from Persona 5" was in when I went to pick up my Smash Ultimate copy after my overnight job.

I intended to buy the DLC regardless, however the Persona series with it's incredible art style and gripping characters having a rep in Joker is "almost" as big of a surprise as Cloud's reveal was. I Cant wait to play him! It was a smart tactical choice to reveal him the way they did at the game awards. Some people that were on the fence with Smash/Switch are more inclined to buy both now.

Last edited:
Nintendo logic: We can't please everyone, so let's only aim for characters that 2% of people wanted....and watch our ******* fans eat it up anyway! >:D

I'm gonna stop giving Nintendo money anymore at this rate. And I live for Nintendo. What do I live for now?
Persona 5 was up for Game of the Year pretty much universally in the year it released and actually won a couple Game of the Year awards. It's frankly the best JRPG this entire generation hands down. It's quite possibly the most stylish game ever made, to the point that Sakurai actually imitated aspects of the Persona 5 UI. It has a pretty much universally adored soundtrack. I've actually never met anyone that didn't like the game after playing it. The only people that seem to not like it are the people that refuse to play it calling it and all other JRPGs "weeb trash". Those people just have ****ty taste (bro gamer casuals always do) and missed out.

Top Bottom