• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

John Oliver (Last Week Tonight) for Multiversus Support Thread

amageish

Smash Master
John Oliver Support Thread

"Welcome welcome welcome to Multiversus! I'm John Oliver. Our top story for tonight: Should Batman pay more taxes? I say yes and he says no. Due to this, I will be battling both Batman and Superman with the help of Princess Bubblegum - or, to put that another way, Princess Bubblegum will be fighting Batman and Superman practically on her own."

Who is John Oliver?

John Oliver is a British-American comedian who hosts the HBO (and therefore Warner Bros) comedy talk show Last Week Tonight with John Oliver, where he tends to do deep-dive segments discussing all the things that make our world terrible to live in.

Why should he playable in Multiversus?

A few reasons. First off, Multiversus currently has no talk show representatives! In fact, I do not personally know of any mainstream platform fighter starring a character famous for having their own talk show. And, as we all know, any idea that is a new idea is inherently a good idea.

Secondly, he's from one of the most successful modern HBO shows, with the impact his show has on its viewers even being termed "The John Oliver Effect." HBO is currently only represented with Arya Stark in Multiversus' line up, so it'd be nice for it to get some more reps.

Finally, John Oliver himself made a joke about asking to be put into a video game as part of his final digital exclusive segment of 2021 (a riff on video games made to advertise snack food products). Could this be a big-brain tease for his inclusion in Multiversus? Probably not! But it could be! He has objectively done weirder things!

What would he even do?

Despite being a self-described coward, John Oliver has done a lot of stunts that could be incorporated into a moveset. From blowing up a giant 2020 to summoning giant pointer finger to unleash robocalls on his foes, he has done a lot of visual metaphors and petty gags that could be incorporated into a fighting game moveset.

His show also tends to love creating mascot characters, which could be summoned by him as part of his moveset, or be incorporated into his stage.

What would his alternate costumes be?

Honestly, when first discussing this, I thought this would be a hard question to answer, but it didn't take too long to find 8 unique John Oliver outfits...

The costume potential is definitely there!

What would his stage be?

Well, the obvious one is the set of his show, but if we wanted a more topical choice, then there's the blank void he used for his mid-pandemic shows... or just use the actual real-life sewage plant named after him.

"And now our top supporters for the night:"
amageish amageish
SneakyLink SneakyLink
Speed Weed Speed Weed
OrpheusTelos OrpheusTelos
DanganZilla5 DanganZilla5
Flyboy Flyboy
Champion of Hyrule Champion of Hyrule
GoodGrief741 GoodGrief741
3DSNinja 3DSNinja
Sari Sari

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
I've added everyone thus far! Welcome, welcome, welcome to this thread~!

Realistically... I have literally no clue how Multiversus' roster is going to pan out, so I don't know if John Oliver would be someone the developers would seriously consider. Though they have been open to listening to fans and there's even been some comments about maybe doing an in-game ballot-esque-thing, so I guess the best way to increase John Oliver's odds is to talk about wanting John Oliver!

By the way, congrats on being the first character support thread for Multiversus!
Thanks haha. It was prepared to launch shortly after after RTC did...

amageish

Smash Master
what no pre USA version?
I mean, I'd be fine including the pre-USA bangs John Oliver if this happened for real and John Oliver greenlit it; I just wanted it to be specifically the persona of himself John Oliver portrays in Last Week Tonight and so I tried to focus the costumes on stuff he's worn in the show itself instead of stuff he's worn in general (and Young John Oliver as he literally made that photo the poster for one of the seasons).

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I mean, I'd be fine including the pre-USA bangs John Oliver if this happened for real and John Oliver greenlit it; I just wanted it to be specifically the persona of himself John Oliver portrays in Last Week Tonight and so I tried to focus the costumes on stuff he's worn in the show itself instead of stuff he's worn in general (and Young John Oliver as he literally made that photo the poster for one of the seasons).
trust me the persona hasnt changed since he left england. maybe gotten a little weirder but thats an age thing

Top Bottom