• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Jem's Brawl Falco Impressions/Facts/Ask me Q's (Took 4th in singles with Falco)

Jem.

Smash Master
Hey guys, some of you may have known me from melee as Jem.. But that really doesn't matter now, new games, new faces, different characters. This is my Falco impression/fact/question me thread. (I'll have videos up hopefully today or tomorrow, so keep a look out :) )

If you want me to edit/update/change things of this thread, get it stickied. Enjoy!

- Took 4th out of 25 with Falco in singles.

****************General Observance while playing Falco*******************​

. Hard to fast fall short hop laser it seemed like.

. Falco has no real one hit, decently strong aerial anymore. Down air is too risky to try if they shield grab. There is still back air, but I think Falco would have been better with his old neutral air, instead of a flailing arms-spinning-at-you neutral air.

.Phantasm when they dont expect it. Seriously.

. Back air is still a really good edgeguard.

. Only the first part of the down air spikes. I was disappointed when I went through someone and it didnt spike with it.

. Short hop up air is good if they're on a platform above you (Battlefield)

. Reflector is of course different. You can basically imagine it's effect like fox's shine from Melee, it gets them away from you, but cant be used as an edgeguard, is a short range projectile, and doesn't knock them down, just back. Can get burned if you miss.

. Falcos platform game is still decent. Drop through platform back airs, back airs through platforms, lasers off them, ect.

. You can space aerials to avoid shield grab if you get the hang of it fast (Had to learn in tournament and one friendly)

******************Matchups with Falco******************​

Falco vs Marth: I had to do this one a lot, three straight times in losers bracket. I won each time. Falco doesn't suffer from an up air chain grab anymore, due to Brawl's general gravity change. I believe he can still back throw F-Smash you though at low percents. F-Smash is still good, so is up-tilt and up air. But other than that, it seems a pretty even matchup now. People who played Marth vs me: Ronin, Silent Wolf (he's goodz.), Kefka.

Falco's matchup vs Marth: 50-50

Falco vs Luigi: Ka-Master and I had to do a best of 3 set in 2nd round of winners bracket, My Falco vs his Luigi, and I won 2-0. We did first round smash balls so that was dumb, and then second round was FD, no smash balls, and a thriller. Luigi can still f-tilt edgeguard and chain it, especially since it's significantly harder to tech. Not sure on the timing of teching yet, but I did see a few at the tournament. You can still laser spam if you want vs Luigi, we didnt try power shielding. Luigi's tornado sends him REALLY high, so its hard to edgeguard him unless he goes his missle b-over, which then you back air chain or attempt a spike off the stage. Luigi can still short hop double aerial.

Falco's advantage vs Luigi: 60-40

Falco vs Mario: I played vs Eggz Mario in losers bracket semi-finals, and since the tournament was running slow, it turned into only one round, battlefield only. And the rules for the tournament was if one person wants smash balls on, you have to have them on. Eggz wanted them on. Besides Smash balls, it was a pretty even matchup. It's hard to spike mario still, as he can still up-b interrupt it right before you get it off. Mario's back air is still good. I lost this match, but it was close.

Falco's matchup vs Mario: 50-50

Falco vs Peach: I played vs my brother Jamo in the very first brawl friendly each of us had. And noticeable differences is how bad Peaches downsmash is, and how bad her f-throw is. Peach still has a pretty good game vs falco though, don't get me wrong. She can low float and space aerials all she wants, so you gotta laser spam - throw - throw reflector to back her off, get some smashes it. Up-Smash is still really good for falco, remember that, it's a true killer move now.

Falco's advantage vs Peach: 60-40

****************Random - Closing Facts/Observations***************​

- Falco's f-tilt is similar to luigi's in its usage, especially since people can't tech too well yet.

- Phantasm when they dont expect it. Seriously.

- Phantasm is such a significantly better recovery than Fire-Bird now. Fire Bird when near the edge to mix it up though so you don't become predictable.

- SPACE AERIALS! You'll get shield-grabbed if you dont.

- Laser spam still, but cant really combo into it.

- Don't try to crouch cancel downsmash or anything. It doesn't work.

Falco is still a really fun character, try him out if you liked him in melee or want something different.

I'll have videos on this forum soon of my falco in tournament, so sorry I was able to only provide factual evidence. Maybe if Silent Wolf or someone stickies this as I get to play more matchups, I'll edit this. Say thanks, sticky plz or something if you like this.

SilintNinjya

Smash Apprentice
his neutral A (where he spins around like crazy) can be finished with a shine. a better way to put it is, as they DI just out of your reach of the spin attack, you can stop and very quickly throw the shine out at them. its a good way to get them away from you.

over all, if you learn the distance the shine reaches, you can become VERY annoying with it. your able to keep them at a distance where a physical attack wont reach you, but a projectile will be reflected. it is very good at keeping characters away from you when your worried your in kill range.

SilintNinjya

Smash Apprentice
i was just adding to what you said cause you didnt say much about the shine. ive had a pretty decent amount of time with the game and after i got used to the new shine, ive come to prefer it over the old one. i didnt feel like you gave the new one enough credit =] its one of my main moves with falco right now.

also, his fair is awful. i dont remember if you said that or not.

Jem.

Smash Master
I liked comboing with melee's better, but I did a few cool things in tournament with it in brawl. SHDL shine. Jab to shine before they DI out.

Jem.

Smash Master
It's still pretty good, basically the same as melee. The only way you can consider it worse is because you cant crouch cancel into downsmash.

Jem.

Smash Master
I added that in title so people dont think I'm some random scrub. and there were 5 people there or so who played the game for a few days. bumping my thread only helps my cause, gimpy. I'm just sharing my insight. I'm not internet popular so every person who has the internet doesnt know who I am, sorry.

Dais

Smash Cadet
Thanx for the insight Jem. I'm really looking forward to playing/maining Mr. Lombardi. It seems like your anti smash balls? Falco never did like the landmasters too much. It'd be super-cool if you did put those videos up. I'd like to see such a skilled player moppin' up with Falco! (You did get 4th after all! lol ! )

Jem.

Smash Master
Haha.. thanks..

So far there are 3 videos up of me, all are vs Marth. Me vs Ka-Master, Eggz, and t0mmy should be up today. So if you guys want I'll link them in this thread, or make a new videos thread.

I added that in title so people dont think I'm some random scrub. and there were 5 people there or so who played the game for a few days. bumping my thread only helps my cause, gimpy. I'm just sharing my insight. I'm not internet popular so every person who has the internet doesnt know who I am, sorry.
But you are some random scrub, and so were all the Oregon people there >_>
A few days makes them better than us, but not very good at all lol.

Dais

Smash Cadet
Yo, don't let those dudes player-hate on you. At the very least you can adapt to Brawl really quickly. I hunted 3 videos down from that tournament on youtube. You fought 3 different people and all 3 Marths? Thats lame. He's got alot of fans for people having to import a untranslated nes stratagy game from 1990. AnyWay, the Marths had slightly different fighting styles and you did fight them all off well enough to win. I figured it would be safer to follow up with a Dair spike since Falco falls slower now, but maybe too dangerous against Marth? You linked some interesting moves together. Like during the Ronin fight you short hopped a couple of lazers and followed it with a phantasm. And I believe you did the rapid A attack into a Reflector Throw. Slap those other vids up and fell free to put the link in this thread. I'd like to see Falco against someone other than Marth (or Ike).

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
I was very impressed with Jem's Falco. Most of the "good" players at the tournament were all going Marth since he can be played very effectively without prior knowledge of Brawl, but Jem went all Falco, a character that has received so many nerfs and changes that he's practically a new character all together. Not only did he adapt quickly to the game, he overcame his opponents by playing smart.

I didn't play Falco much in Melee, and I've probably only used him two times in Brawl. Since I didn't know any better, I just played him like his Melee version and it just doesn't work the same. I know a lot of players would just say "Falco's low tier now" and move on to another character without sticking around to figure out all the new stuff, but now after seeing Jem play I think Falco can be pretty good.

Sticky?

Edit:
Oh yeah, Jem, I have a question. Since Falco no longer has the laser mobility or the priority of the d-air/n-air to shine combo, what do you think his approach options are?

It may be silly that I'm asking since I own the game, but I don't have the time to play as much as I would like - and when I do, it's Kirby for me. :)

Jem.

Smash Master
Thanks Timmy ^_^ that was really kind of you.

I might update this thread if it ends up getting sticky (Otto, you can take the 4th out of 25 in singles thing out of title =p )

There are better vids that are gonna be up, promise, so you won't have to bore yourself by watching me play 3 marths all on battlefield, they're going to be up soon.

Timmy: I'm not quite sure on what to do about falcos approach. His lasers on the ground shoot relatively fast, suprisingly, but I still think you're best off with short hop double lasers. And if its a level like battlefield with platforms like that (Pokemon Stadium comes to mind too), you can drop through the platforms and laser, or run off the tip of it and laser into an approach. For now it seems like lasering into shine if they dont expect it, or into a throw since they're shielding the lasers already.

Dais: I have vids that are going to be uploaded very soon, promise. It includes me vs Ka-Master's Luigi, me vs Eggz' Mario, and vs T0mmy's Sheik.

davemg

Smash Rookie
Is falco still considered a fast character even considering the new games mechanics and
how is his fsmash in conparison to melee with its reach and power? GJob at the tourny btw

Jem.

Smash Master
Falco isnt really fast. Especially his run speed. A character like marth definently seems to flow faster like melee then falco. He's more of a spacing game now.

F-Smash might have a little less range than melee's, but still has good power.

dawn001

Smash Ace
i have a question!
of all the video that i try to find of falco , why is it that they dont use the shine? also does the shine throws them up like in melee or what?

Jem.

Smash Master
Falco kicks his reflector out, and if it hits, does a little knockback and 6-7%. Nothing too good.

So no it doesnt send them up, and cant use it to combo.

Just watch my videos in the Jem Video Thread.. I use it atleast once every match I think.

Jem.

Smash Master
so what would be his essential move now that the shine isn't??...
I didn't get to play long enough to discover one. You can tech chase into a throw or smash.. I did down tilt to upsmash combo a few times at low percents.

where would you say falco stands as a character now.
You mean on like a tier list? I'd say mid tier. He's a lot more based on single hits now and spacing aerials.

What color are Falco's pants when he uses the red costume?
I have no idea. Maybe black? No clue.

Valgarus

Smash Rookie
How is the transition from playing with falco to the other starfox characters? Is there any correlation or does the brawl changes make him too different to smoothly alternate between him and fox?

Top Bottom