• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Jaystring's mod thread

up until now, I have not seen 2048x2048 textures coming from a wii U game disc yet. Would have used them for sure if I had those. I've ripped Smash4, Hyrule Warriors, Captain Toad and Star Fox Zero.
I am sorry, I misspoke. You can use high res textures when repacking mods. For example, Nanobud's Wii U Armored Mewtwo uses 1024 textures and 2048 bump/spec maps. Looks really amazing.

jaystring

Smash Ace
I am sorry, I misspoke. You can use high res textures when repacking mods. For example, Nanobud's Wii U Armored Mewtwo uses 1024 textures and 2048 bump/spec maps. Looks really amazing.
ho I guest you meant use higher res texture on mods for the Wii U console. yeah I would guest the wii U would be capable of running them (to a limit, it has it's own memory limit too)

I can use very very high res texture on Project M on dolphin as well. Been doing that for a while now, that's what my HD textures coming with my release are. The limit is the hardware itself I believe, I don't think dolphin has a build-in limit.

I don't have 2048x2048 texture or 4096x4096 texture because I use the higher res one I can get from the source material of the mod I'm porting. but if I had them, I would use them.

of course I could make them myself as well but I'm not really doing texture hand painting work that much.

jaystring

Smash Ace
moving eye are texture animated in the fitmotion.pac file

to have them working, you have to have the EXACT SAME material name (it's case sensitive so make sure the name is identical) for the eyes setup the exact same way (texture can be different but material setup and shader has to be the same)

the iris texture has to be used at the same place as the original material as it's this one that going to move.

if you're starting a new PSA, then you have to animate them by hand in each animation.

Last edited:

E-scope12

Smash Apprentice
moving eye are texture animated in the fitmotion.pac file

to have them working, you have to have the EXACT SAME material name (it's case sensitive so make sure the name is identical) for the eyes setup the exact same way (texture can be different but material setup and shader has to be the same)

the iris texture has to be used at the same place as the original material as it's this one that going to move.

if you're starting a new PSA, then you have to animate them by hand in each animation.
Cool. I like that.

jaystring

Smash Ace
Thanks to Kuro who uploaded the gallery for me (since I still have imgur problem)

you can look it up HERE

The album (and all the future ones) is 4K screenshots now!

release is getting close!! It's almost ready!

E-scope12

Smash Apprentice
Any plans to import models from The Walking Dead Series or The Wolf Among Us?

Last edited:

E-scope12

Smash Apprentice

Chaosblade77

Smash Lord
The best.

I'm super boring and am just going to use the default, team colors, and black+white to replace the Brawl TP Ganondorf. And I guess OOT default+team colors just for matching CSPs.

jaystring

Smash Ace
ho damn! Too much traffic caused my dropbox to temporarely shut down my links..

I'll check with Kuro to see if he can upload a mirror on MEGA.

jaystring

Smash Ace
Have you tried uploading them to mediafire?
In the process of doing it!!

but I'm not sure what's going to happen with my dropbox account now? first time something like that happened

will the link get back working eventually?

Seem link dropbox lock down ALL my stuff meaning ALL my mods are locked now.

E-scope12

Smash Apprentice
In the process of doing it!!

but I'm not sure what's going to happen with my dropbox account now? first time something like that happened

will the link get back working eventually?

Seem link dropbox lock down ALL my stuff meaning ALL my mods are locked now.
Why would Dropbox do that?

jaystring

Smash Ace
Why would Dropbox do that?
Too much traffic making a huge bandwidth spike on my account

ok it's fixed now!

the main link in on MEGA + the dropbox link is in the comments as a mirror (will work in 24H) and there's also a mediafire link as another mirror!

hopefully I can go to sleep now lol!

TurretGunZ

Smash Rookie
annnnnd of course it doesn't work with Project Ganondorf ugh!
I swear I love that mod but freaking nothing is compatible with it.

jaystring

Smash Ace
annnnnd of course it doesn't work with Project Ganondorf ugh!
I swear I love that mod but freaking nothing is compatible with it.
filesize issue!! reduce some texture resolution might fix it (if you are using the wii version. it will look uglier but might work).

The dolphin version can't have a quick filesize fix without lots of work.

my mod works with Triforce Ganon v6 PSA, as i'm personnally using it and made HW Ganondorf compatible with it (i'M also updating the PSA on the side to my liking with HW Ganondorf so maybe i'll release that someday)

https://smashboards.com/threads/triforce-ganondorf-mod.356467/

It's a similar mod to Project Ganondorf except this one works with items

I couldn't keep using Project ganondorf without items so I didn't support it.

If project ganondorf gets fixed and has all the main Brawl feature back, I seriously might consider an update to HW ganondorf to fix it.

jackal27

Smash Journeyman
Yes, Project Ganondorf has some serious file size problems.

He looks incredible jaystring! I am absolutely loving the big guy and his glorious mane!

blerb

Smash Journeyman
your shadermats for any objects using speculars are broken for HW Ganon Wii version. they're missing the stages for the special colour flashes (airdodge, after losing a stock, etc).

jaystring

Smash Ace
Congrats on the release. He looks great. Got it myself.
Thanks!

your shadermats for any objects using speculars are broken for HW Ganon Wii version. they're missing the stages for the special colour flashes (airdodge, after losing a stock, etc).
hum, never noticed that.

Can you give me the material(s) name in question that's causing an issue!?

Wii and dolphin version should be identical for shader and material with the same name. they probably have the issue too.

blerb

Smash Journeyman
HWGanondorf_Body_Metal and it's no_cull counterpart are the only ones, afaik. Might wanna double-check for yourself, though.

jaystring

Smash Ace
HWGanondorf_Body_Metal and it's no_cull counterpart are the only ones, afaik. Might wanna double-check for yourself, though.
all right thanks for the info!

Do you happen to know how to fix this or where I can find the info!?

I very rarely play with shader stage. I always re-use an already properly set one.

These materials and this shader are the ones that kuro tweaked and I'm not sure what modification he made to them.

blerb

Smash Journeyman
I'd recommend replacing the shader and material with one from one of your other compiles. They all (or at least the ones I've used) have properly functioning shadermat combos.

Also, don't use a greyscale spec map for any of the metal; this creates a plastic look, whereas metal looks like, well, metal. Just use the same texture for both the diffuse map and the spec map, or use a spec map with modified colour levels to suit your needs. I suppose it comes down to personal taste and the backstory to whatever object you're working on (if it was painted using a gloss finish, if it's just a raw metal, etc etc) but overall I've found using coloured specs works best for metals

read http://www.manufato.com/?p=902 (specifically the section about dielectrics vs. conductors) to learn more on why I say this. I applied this theory when I optimized your Roy import, specifically to his armour and sword. You'll notice the difference in HW Ganon when you compare them side-by-side after making the appropriate changes.

Last edited:

jaystring

Smash Ace
I'd recommend replacing the shader and material with one from one of your other compiles. They all (or at least the ones I've used) have properly functioning shadermat combos.

Also, don't use a greyscale spec map for any of the metal; this creates a plastic look, whereas metal looks like, well, metal. Just use the same texture for both the diffuse map and the spec map, or use a spec map with modified colour levels to suit your needs. I suppose it comes down to personal taste and the backstory to whatever object you're working on (if it was painted using a gloss finish, if it's just a raw metal, etc etc) but overall I've found using coloured specs works best for metals

read http://www.manufato.com/?p=902 (specifically the section about dielectrics vs. conductors) to learn more on why I say this. I applied this theory when I optimized your Roy import, specifically to his armour and sword. You'll notice the difference in HW Ganon when you compare them side-by-side after making the appropriate changes.
hum, I would rather not replace the material and shader by another one but instead learn how to fix it. It might take longer but will be useful information for the future. and I personally like the one that's been used right now. it just need to be fixed.

about the spec map. it's a personal preference really. early on I had color spec map. I decided to revert back to black and white

what happened was I usually start the "Braw-i-fied" process for the texture with default material with no effect. I ajust the saturation exactly to my liking then I go on to make more advance material effect.

What I noticed was when I used color spec map, the spec map would multiply with the diffuse texture and would ultimately add more saturation to the final look of my model, essentially destroying the work I liked earlier on when I was ajusting the texture saturation.

It was either I go back to retweak all my texture to add more de-saturation to compensate, or I remove the color in the spec map that influence the desired look I'm aiming for.

When using black and white texture, there's no color variation. the saturation stay exactly the way I intended it to be.

if you prefer it a bit more saturated, then yeah! assign the diffuse texture in the spec map of the material! you can then delete the spec map texture for filesize optimisation!

cramazzratazz

Smash Apprentice

I was going to mention the issue in one of ashingda's custom PSA regarding materials as well. it only really becomes an issue when dodging, spawning in, and charging a smash attack. totally playable otherwise, but again is noticeable
btw the release is orgasmic as always. words cannot communicate the positive criticism it deserves

Chaosblade77

Smash Lord
Yeah, I noticed something looked off when spawning. But otherwise it's incredible, and I'm using the lowly Wii version.

jaystring

Smash Ace
I was going to mention the issue in one of ashingda's custom PSA regarding materials as well. it only really becomes an issue when dodging, spawning in, and charging a smash attack. totally playable otherwise, but again is noticeable
btw the release is orgasmic as always. words cannot communicate the positive criticism it deserves
Thanks!

yeah I'll look into fixing that as an update. just need to figure out what's wrong with the shader

I don't exactly know how long it's going to take me to figure that out and when I'll have time but keep a look out for an update on Brawlvault (or this thread as I'll very likely post the update here)

Last edited:
Top Bottom