• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Jaystring's mod thread

Moon Peaches

Smash Rookie
Great!

yeah the shadow bug is because I don't mod the shadows (that's TP Ganondorf shadow with the cape) ..

I've never done shadow edit but I'm pretty sure I think I know how it works but I never bothered with them in all my mods.

maybe someday I should go back to all my mods and fix them in all my mods but it's a super minor bug and very low in my priorities. I think it's better that I pass time on new content.

we don't see them that much in gameplay + a lot of stage mods are badly setup with shadows anyway (either there's no shadow on the ground or it's projected wrong, etc)
The pac files contain a low poly model with less bones for the shadows.

Last edited:

jaystring

Smash Ace
jay, what do you think of the moveset thus far?
Gameplay and PSA-wise, I really like it. It's really fun! ZeusLink did an amazing job with it

Animation wise, it has multiple small quality issues. I've taken the time to look at almost all of them in Brawlbox over my models and unfortunatly, many issues cannot be fix in the skinning, it's the animation itself that deform the model too much or is misplaced etc.

stuff like the sword not been properly in his hands or clipping, fingers, arms and/or leg stretching too much etc. minor stuff really but still polish issues.

another small thing is facial expression could be more polished and there's no eye movement too yet on any animation (the model is all setup for it it would only need to be added to animations as animated texture for the iris)

I've actually asked ZeusLink already if he intend to update animations at some point. It's his PSA mod after all so waiting to see what he wish to do next but I would be willing to give him a hand in those thing if he wants to. I've not played with animation much in Brawl until now but it could be a great opportunity to learn more about it now!

There's also the SFX issues with the BrawlEx version (the slash hit sound are missing in most attack, etc) He already knows about it and I think he intend to fix it at some point.

And the obvious ones like the unfinished taunts and victory pose. I think he also will update those.

Some FX also I think I could make them better too so I might update them (Side-B for exemple, I could update the texture I think and also make an HD texture for it to not impact filesize etc)

ThatsBullocks

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BullockDS
IIRC, Zeus said that he wishes to implement ported animations from Sm4sh for a future release, so here's hoping that'll improve things.

ZeusLink

Smash Apprentice
NNID
U wot m8?
3DS FC
1010-0010-0100
Ah, I see progress is also going well with the import!

jaystring

Smash Ace
that would require accommodating to the Smash 4 rigging and therefore needing to re-rig Jay's model
I don't think so.

my cloud started as a costume port for Ike, so he matches Ike prefectly (you'll be able to use them as Ike costume if for some reason you prefer them over Ike instead of the moveset)

(Assuming Smash3ds is the same squeleton as smash4 since I've seen only smash4) Ike and Cloud have very similar squeleton. i'm pretty sure 90% of the exact smash4 animation can be ported over him correctly. The biggest Issue I see is that some bones from smash4 are missing so those will have to be ajusted by hand

and the real biggest issues I believe is that smash3ds animation imported make filesize bigger causing crash in Brawl and need to be ajusted/optimized by hand (which I think is mainly why all of this is soo long)

jaystring

Smash Ace
Blue Recolor Now!

Kind of similar to green (same black belt and black boots as green)

Loosely based on this one now :

jaystring

Smash Ace
Red is actually a bit different from last time, I updated it a bit

might tweak it again once I see him in-game but for now here's the latest one

jaystring

Smash Ace
Yellow Recolor for FF7 CLoud

Loosely based on this :

There's not a lot of new visual content because I was optimizing all my already done 11 Cloud model lately (+ working on another project). managed to save from 100kb to 300kb on some of them. This will help for the filesize limit with the PSA.

Also, Looking at what recolors to do for Zack, I decided I would give him a special new costume for the blue recolor.

The default one will be his long hair, black outfit from the end game.

This :

And the blue one will be based on his look from the beginning of the game when he's younger (shorter hair, blue outfit, no face scar)

This :

Working on the costume right now, will show it when it's ready

CraptainFalcon

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1221-1779-3703
Yellow Recolor for FF7 CLoud

Loosely based on this :

There's not a lot of new visual content because I was optimizing all my already done 11 Cloud model lately (+ working on another project). managed to save from 100kb to 300kb on some of them. This will help for the filesize limit with the PSA.

Also, Looking at what recolors to do for Zack, I decided I would give him a special new costume for the blue recolor.

The default one will be his long hair, black outfit from the end game.

This :

And the blue one will be based on his look from the beginning of the game when he's younger (shorter hair, blue outfit, no face scar)

This :

Working on the costume right now, will show it when it's ready
Bruh

jaystring

Smash Ace
Is the black FF7 recolor being worked on, too?
I can make a Black FF7 recolor yeah

but I wasn't going too since there's this one here but I can make it anyway :

Crisis core Cloud costume will get the same recolors as Zack

jaystring

Smash Ace
Zack's new costume is done! He now has his beginning game haircut, sword and colors

Here's both of them :

jaystring

Smash Ace
Hey, I love your work!
Do you mind if I could have Bubbles from Clu Clu Land made as a fighter over Jigglypuff? I need her as a BrawlEx character for a project I am working on. Thanks!

https://www.models-resource.com/gamecube/ssbm/model/18388/
I have too many project started that need to get finished first, I can't add another one at the moment sorry

jay, will that smaller sword affect hitboxes at all?
The sword for Purple Zack actually matches perfectly Ike's original sword so no hitbox modification.

Actually none of Cloud's different sword has any hitbox modification, it's all the exact same as Ike

but the buster sword from Crisis core (the one on Black Zack) is cheated a bit since the sword is slightly longer then the actual hitbox. So the tip would just pass thought and not hit anything at the moment.

I'm still not sure if I should deform the sword to fit the hitbox (but then the sword won't look like it's supposed to), edit the hitbox (but then different costume will have different gameplay features, seems bad to me) or just leave it like that and live with the minor tip clipping (which I couldn't notice anyway in a real match).

jaystring

Smash Ace

E-scope12

Smash Apprentice
not yet

I need to finish the recolors, pose the model, render them, make the CSPs, BP etc and prepare the HD texture

nope this seem new to me, I'll take a look to see if it can be useful for me! thanks!
You're welcome.

jaystring

Smash Ace
4 new recolors today!

Sorry it's not progressing that fast these days. You can blame Witcher 3 for that.

anyway, here's white Cloud

Red Zack

Green Zack

Blue Zack

CelticVizard

Smash Cadet
So, I've been looking at the Dissidia/Default outfit recolors you've made. I see you're doing it based on Ike's alt colors like I did. This may sound weird but, I'm glad you are just making my Cloud stuff obsolete and looking forward to the release. White Recolor is amazing!!

jaystring

Smash Ace
When he's done with them.
+ 1. I have no timeline or deadline for those. I work on them when I have time and when I feel like it.

Sorry it's taking so long. I know Cloud have been dragging for impossibly long but having only recolors and Icons to do now, he's actually almost done. (the 2 extra costume will get finish at some point, I've not forget about those)

be patient, he's gonna be available at some point.

So, I've been looking at the Dissidia/Default outfit recolors you've made. I see you're doing it based on Ike's alt colors like I did. This may sound weird but, I'm glad you are just making my Cloud stuff obsolete and looking forward to the release. White Recolor is amazing!!
Thank you!

I've not seen your recolors so I wouldn't know but I do mine with trial and error (change a part a different color, see if I like it or not, repeat else where etc)

Cloud's recolor are actually hard to do because a lot of his "gear" with black or brown texture area (like belts, boots for exemple) don't work at all as light colors or colorful colors. I've tried it and scrapted most of them because they looked really weird.

jaystring

Smash Ace
I'm suspecting this new recolor I just finished will be familiar for you :)

neox-the-neobian

Smash Cadet
hey i have two questions
1) are you still going to do the ragna the bloodedge recolor
2) are crisis core (the black outfit) 1st class cloud going to the have the same recolors as zack

jaystring

Smash Ace
hey i have two questions
1) are you still going to do the ragna the bloodedge recolor
2) are crisis core (the black outfit) 1st class cloud going to the have the same recolors as zack
1) yes, i'll try it, as and extra red recolor for AC Cloud (I have my own Red version started right now, i'm gonna add it as a 2nd red option)
2) yes. he has red, green, blue and purple right now that are done, same as zack. they share the exact same texture minus the head.

Once I finish the Crisis core Cloud with the green scarf (one day), this one will have his own unique recolor

Top Bottom