• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Jaystring's mod thread

jaystring

Smash Ace
Hey Jay, do you plan on doing updates to Marth? I think some of his textures look "less vibrant" compared to the other FE characters.
hum.. well can you elaborate on what you mean with an exemple maybe?! not sure I understand what you mean.

I've done the same texture treatment to Wii U Marth then all the other FE character.

The first version of the white recolor I didn't like so I updated it with the CSP update. The others looked fine to me.

jaystring

Smash Ace
How did you figure it out?
Quick answer : trial and error

More elaborated answer :

I figured after a while that those X,Y,Z values in brawlbox could be represented visually in 3dsmax by reversing the Y and Z to have their exact position in-game. And the actual stage is always position at 0.0.0

Then I actually used 3dsmax with basic boxes to place the brawlbox lights in the world and have a visual representation of where I was placing those lights according to the stage.

After it was trial and error to figure out the colors and intensity

etc

Once I understand what I was doing it was pretty fun to do. I might do more lighting tweaks in the future for stages that I like.

jaystring

Smash Ace
Funky disco lights
Funky disco lights for Theytah's RaveWare?
haha maybe at some point! that stage is really cool!

actually, thinking about that stage, I realized while I was tweaking the Wii U stage that it looks totally possible to animate lights with brawlbox.

There seem to be frame and keyframe setup in there.

I haven't figure out how to add keyframe to a light but if I do, it looks like it's possible to animate light to have them move around or change color (that would totally work with ravewave)

jaystring

Smash Ace
So, very small update on KH Cloud today.

I've been sssuuuuper busy lately and it will continue until end of next week so don't expect fast progress these day, i've got very little time to mods.

but I still manage to get a bit done. here's the latest version :

Some more belts update. keep in mind i've not reallly done any texture work yet (appart from the sword), just the model.

Overall view

Close up :

First pass on the Sword!! I will not model him a loose bandage at the sword's hilt because there is no bones to have a well animated model. It would look ugly if it stays static.

So, not that much is left until I get to start polishing him. Couple of cross belts near his boots, his boots update and his finger gold things

Grimdeath

Smash Cadet
NNID
Grimdeath
So, very small update on KH Cloud today.

I've been sssuuuuper busy lately and it will continue until end of next week so don't expect fast progress these day, i've got very little time to mods.

but I still manage to get a bit done. here's the latest version :

Some more belts update. keep in mind i've not reallly done any texture work yet (appart from the sword), just the model.

Overall view

Close up :

First pass on the Sword!! I will not model him a loose bandage at the sword's hilt because there is no bones to have a well animated model. It would look ugly if it stays static.

So, not that much is left until I get to start polishing him. Couple of cross belts near his boots, his boots update and his finger gold things
Nice Model of Cloud!! :)

jaystring

Smash Ace
200k poly's... thats quite alot mate...
haha, that's the scene TOTAL, including all the hidden stuff. The scene hass all version of Wii U Cloud + all the custom model i'm currently working on!

There's a lot of CLouds in that scene lol

Cloud is looking great! Geez WOW. I can only imagine what it'll look like in-game.

I have to ask though, since you do such amazing work. What are the odds you could do an import of the remaining Hyrule Warrior characters? We've been waiting over a year and nobody has touched anybody but Link. Is this something you'd be into?

Heavy D88

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HeavyD1488
3DS FC
1719-3686-1030
I would say Ganon for the first one there... A LOT of people have been waiting on that awesome model. I know I have. Him and Sheik. But that's of course if you want to do that. No worries either way.

Last edited:
I would say Ganon for the first one there... A LOT of people have been waiting on that awesome model. I know I have. Him and Sheik. But that's off course if you want to do that. No worries either way.
That and Demise, but I'm pretty sure everyone who touches Demise is stumped by the hair. Any of the PM devs who made cool things like Mario Kart ROB would've known how to implement the hair.

EDIT: I just had an idea. Why not double check the model properties of his trophy in Sm4sh for how to handle the hair?

Last edited:

jaystring

Smash Ace
Cloud is looking great! Geez WOW. I can only imagine what it'll look like in-game.

I have to ask though, since you do such amazing work. What are the odds you could do an import of the remaining Hyrule Warrior characters? We've been waiting over a year and nobody has touched anybody but Link. Is this something you'd be into?
Thank you!

Odd of me getting to do some Hyrule Warriors imports are high, I WANT to do them.

The problem is it's going to take time, lots of it. Hyrule Warriors model need to be optimised on top of being imported, which is long to do to be done right.

On top of that, the importer for HW model have a bug where physic objects get corrupted when brought to 3dsmax. This is a problem and is the main reason why we have not seen any HW Ganondorf : his hairs get totally corrupted.

Right now, I'm kind of waiting (and hoping) that someday someone fix the importer to get the model properly. I'm busy with Smash 4 import anyway so i'm kind of hoping it get fix once i'm done with most of the smash 4 import I want to do and ready for HW.

if that doesn't happen, it means that I have to re-model his hairs completly myself (possible to do but again, LONG)

Talking about HW Ganondorf, I reaaaally want to get my hand on this new model too. I havent found it yet (I think it's not release yet) :

About Demise, I think his hairs is possible to do. It looks like an animated texture which there is plenty of in Brawl already. The problem is I don't know yet how to animate textures in Brawlbox. Once I figure that out, I think I could do Demise's hairs yeah.

One day. lol

Last edited:

Heavy D88

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HeavyD1488
3DS FC
1719-3686-1030
Yeah, that's the new outfit for the next DLC for HW Legends. For the Wind Waker map stuff they're doing. I think that looks awesome.

Draco_The

Smash Lord
J jaystring In order to animate Demise's hair you would need to either edit the FitCharMotionEtc.pac and add it to every animation, which would mean that its filesize would get really big and it wouldn't have smooth transitions, or making Demise bald and adding the hair via GFX with a loop animation and load it through the FitChar.pac file only for Demise's slot in the CSS, but since it's a gfx it wouldn't be affected by flash effects and such.

IMO the best option would be doing something similar to Beta Knight's blade.

schwinsullivan

Smash Rookie
J jaystring In order to animate Demise's hair you would need to either edit the FitCharMotionEtc.pac and add it to every animation, which would mean that its filesize would get really big and it wouldn't have smooth transitions, or making Demise bald and adding the hair via GFX with a loop animation and load it through the FitChar.pac file only for Demise's slot in the CSS, but since it's a gfx it wouldn't be affected by flash effects and such.

IMO the best option would be doing something similar to Beta Knight's blade.
How did they alter the swords physical glow appearance? Typically metaknights blade is jagged but here its shape is closer to toon links, and the glow matches. Is it a model swap technique or something to do with the PSA... also how can i do this for ike with the buster sword lol

jaystring

Smash Ace
I know you said you'd be busy a while, but have you made progress on Cloud. I am really iching to put his AC Green in my Project M.
Well, it's progressing... but I don't have anything of interest to show yet.

be patient, it's gonna be worth the wait!

I've already mentioned that it would be progressing slowly these day as i'm super busy with real life stuff.

Cynapse

Smash Ace
How did they alter the swords physical glow appearance? Typically metaknights blade is jagged but here its shape is closer to toon links, and the glow matches. Is it a model swap technique or something to do with the PSA... also how can i do this for ike with the buster sword lol
Clamp and follow the camera. That's how the metal box effect works.

Nikster31

Smash Rookie
\
Well, it's progressing... but I don't have anything of interest to show yet.

be patient, it's gonna be worth the wait!

I've already mentioned that it would be progressing slowly these day as i'm super busy with real life stuff.
Hey, it's cool that you're busy and all that, you know we're all human here. Rushed work is never good, just take your time.

I hope you don't mind me asking but whatever happened to that Mega Man Snake PSA you were planning to work on a couple of pages back? Is it still something you're working on or have you put it aside for some of the more recent things you're working on?

jaystring

Smash Ace
\

Hey, it's cool that you're busy and all that, you know we're all human here. Rushed work is never good, just take your time.

I hope you don't mind me asking but whatever happened to that Mega Man Snake PSA you were planning to work on a couple of pages back? Is it still something you're working on or have you put it aside for some of the more recent things you're working on?
No no I don't mind! At the time I put it aside when I realised there was a Megaman X model inside the pac file for the final smash so I wanted to do it once I got X export done as well

Then, just before I had X done, I actully had the chance to try out that PSA throught a custom build from Brawlvault and well, I was kind of deceived by it's quality honestly.

While it had good Idea and stuff, most of it felt pretty unpolished to me compared to PSA like Waluigi or Ridley or Roy and Mewtwo.

Just porting my models on top of it, I feel I would still find it's quality kind of lacking.

I would LOVE to actually bring it up in quality on top of porting my model to it but i'm not really into doing PSA, I would need to team up with someone for that.

So anyway, I got caught up in new project then and have put it asside since then. I'll probably come back to it eventually, I just don't know when.

I've got more megaman project in the way too. For exemple I have Zero from Smash Wii U trophy half T-posed to get prepared to get ported to Brawl.

I love Megaman franchise, if someone would propose me to help out making a very polished PSA, I would totally be on board.

CelticVizard

Smash Cadet
Zero!? Who will you put that over? Thing I would try if I was in your shoe-- with your skill-- is Zero over Toon Link, but if the miraculous was possible over Olimar. I bloody hate Olimar. Given Zero's many appearances in "Vs Capcom" series, Different verions from MMX, and MMZ costume ideas wouldn't be hard to make.

jaystring

Smash Ace
hue hue
X PSA?
Would totally be incredible!

Who wants to help me make it happen!? lol

Zero!? Who will you put that over? Thing I would try if I was in your shoe-- with your skill-- is Zero over Toon Link, but if the miraculous was possible over Olimar. I bloody hate Olimar. Given Zero's many appearances in "Vs Capcom" series, Different verions from MMX, and MMZ costume ideas wouldn't be hard to make.
yeah Zero! Here he is in the process of getting dismantled into T-Pose

I started him a while back but he's on hold now until I get Cloud done.

I usually rig my model on someone's skeleton acting as a costume to someone and not replacing a character.

I've not really decided on who I'm putting him over yet. I've had multiple ideas like ZSS so that X and Zero can switch between them but Zero will look weird on ZSS's animation...

Maybe on samus (as an alternate costume to X with my custom Buster Canon model I made for Full Armor X (Zero actually has that canon in MMX1)

Maybe as a Link costume with the green beam sword? don't know, we'll see.

Panudroid

Smash Journeyman
With PMeX coming along nicely, I don't see the need to "bump off" characters. So the wise thing would be to make Zero over someone who has a PMeX module.

Nikster31

Smash Rookie
No no I don't mind! At the time I put it aside when I realised there was a Megaman X model inside the pac file for the final smash so I wanted to do it once I got X export done as well

Then, just before I had X done, I actully had the chance to try out that PSA throught a custom build from Brawlvault and well, I was kind of deceived by it's quality honestly.

While it had good Idea and stuff, most of it felt pretty unpolished to me compared to PSA like Waluigi or Ridley or Roy and Mewtwo.

Just porting my models on top of it, I feel I would still find it's quality kind of lacking.

I would LOVE to actually bring it up in quality on top of porting my model to it but i'm not really into doing PSA, I would need to team up with someone for that.

So anyway, I got caught up in new project then and have put it asside since then. I'll probably come back to it eventually, I just don't know when.

I've got more megaman project in the way too. For exemple I have Zero from Smash Wii U trophy half T-posed to get prepared to get ported to Brawl.

I love Megaman franchise, if someone would propose me to help out making a very polished PSA, I would totally be on board.
Okay, I see. Well hopefully you find someone who can do a nice Mega Man PSA because I myself have no skill in that area, haha. I guess I'll just play him as Lucario until then.
Would totally be incredible!

Who wants to help me make it happen!? lol

yeah Zero! Here he is in the process of getting dismantled into T-Pose

I started him a while back but he's on hold now until I get Cloud done.

I usually rig my model on someone's skeleton acting as a costume to someone and not replacing a character.

I've not really decided on who I'm putting him over yet. I've had multiple ideas like ZSS so that X and Zero can switch between them but Zero will look weird on ZSS's animation...

Maybe on samus (as an alternate costume to X with my custom Buster Canon model I made for Full Armor X (Zero actually has that canon in MMX1)

Maybe as a Link costume with the green beam sword? don't know, we'll see.
That looks great! I can't wait till it's finished.

Having him in his 'buster' mode over Samus would be sweet! I think you should implement that, but also have his 'Z-saber' variant over another character else so people can choose to go either one.

I wouldn't personally put him over Link, mostly because Link's got all sorts of different equipment, such as bombs, arrows, boomerangs, etc. that wouldn't fit him well in my opinion. I was considering maybe put him over Ike? Also, do you think there's a possibility of also coming up with a 'Mega Man Zero' type Zero alt costume? I know there's no trophy for him, but from what I've seen, you're pretty good at modeling.

Last edited:

cramazzratazz

Smash Apprentice
Thank you!

Odd of me getting to do some Hyrule Warriors imports are high, I WANT to do them.

The problem is it's going to take time, lots of it. Hyrule Warriors model need to be optimised on top of being imported, which is long to do to be done right.

On top of that, the importer for HW model have a bug where physic objects get corrupted when brought to 3dsmax. This is a problem and is the main reason why we have not seen any HW Ganondorf : his hairs get totally corrupted.

Right now, I'm kind of waiting (and hoping) that someday someone fix the importer to get the model properly. I'm busy with Smash 4 import anyway so i'm kind of hoping it get fix once i'm done with most of the smash 4 import I want to do and ready for HW.

if that doesn't happen, it means that I have to re-model his hairs completly myself (possible to do but again, LONG)

Talking about HW Ganondorf, I reaaaally want to get my hand on this new model too. I havent found it yet (I think it's not release yet) :

About Demise, I think his hairs is possible to do. It looks like an animated texture which there is plenty of in Brawl already. The problem is I don't know yet how to animate textures in Brawlbox. Once I figure that out, I think I could do Demise's hairs yeah.

One day. lol
Godspeed, I've been trying to work on a WW ganon and it is nightmare fuel.

jaystring

Smash Ace
Okay, I see. Well hopefully you find someone who can do a nice Mega Man PSA because I myself have no skill in that area, haha. I guess I'll just play him as Lucario until then.

That looks great! I can't wait till it's finished.

Having him in his 'buster' mode over Samus would be sweet! I think you should implement that, but also have his 'Z-saber' variant over another character else so people can choose to go either one.

I wouldn't personally put him over Link, mostly because Link's got all sorts of different equipment, such as bombs, arrows, boomerangs, etc. that wouldn't fit him well in my opinion. I was considering maybe put him over Ike? Also, do you think there's a possibility of also coming up with a 'Mega Man Zero' type Zero alt costume? I know there's no trophy for him, but from what I've seen, you're pretty good at modeling.
There's already a Zero model over Link on the Vault that I was using in my old build that was looking pretty good. That's why I thought putting him over Link maybe

Also, it was also about having some variety. I don't necessarily want to put every swordman over Ike or Marth. I've already done Cloud and Dante over Ike and Chrom, Lucina and Vergil over Marth

Anyway we'll see, it's not really decided

That'd be cool but the Samus skin we already have for the model is decent enough for me, lol.

Also J jaystring great job on that Wily Stage import you worked on!
Thanks!

jaystring you totally need to get in on the Discord chat
LOL! The Discord pressure is pretty high! I can't even count anymore how many time i've been invited there lol

I'll try to check it out soon but I don't think i'll be pretty active there as I'm busy and not at home most of the daytime.

I do my mods or am active here late at night, like when most people are normally sleeping lol

Godspeed, I've been trying to work on a WW ganon and it is nightmare fuel.
good luck with that! I'm waiting for the actual WW HW costume to be released because I think it looks really good!

With PMeX coming along nicely, I don't see the need to "bump off" characters. So the wise thing would be to make Zero over someone who has a PMeX module.
Hopefully everyone will get that PMeX Module eventually!

jaystring

Smash Ace
All right! UPDATE time!

Here's KH Cloud model's all done!! (only the model!! I need to texture him now, then rig him. so still job to do but it's progressing)

I'm going to make 2 version of him, one with the wing and one without (I've noticed (in some youtube video of KH) that he doesn't always has that wing in the game + the wing will not look crazy nice in Brawl as it won't have bones to rig it)

Next, here's some new first look at new costumes!!! (these are very early stuff so don't judge them too much yet!)

Crisis Core Cloud (his late game costume) :

It's a variation of his FF7 Costume with pauldron on each side and with his Advent Children Hairs. He's also getting the updated Buster Sword. His costume will be much more black too. His center belt will be raised up with 2 black belt under (see reference image below)

Basically, this is what he will look like when i'm done :

and FInally, doing this Crisis Core costume, I also had to include Zack!! (which is really the same costume only with a different head)

This will be his late game look too, basically expect him to look like this when i'm done :

That's it for today!

britipinojeff

Smash Journeyman
All right! UPDATE time!

Here's KH Cloud model's all done!! (only the model!! I need to texture him now, then rig him. so still job to do but it's progressing)

I'm going to make 2 version of him, one with the wing and one without (I've noticed (in some youtube video of KH) that he doesn't always has that wing in the game + the wing will not look crazy nice in Brawl as it won't have bones to rig it)

Next, here's some new first look at new costumes!!! (these are very early stuff so don't judge them too much yet!)

Crisis Core Cloud (his late game costume) :

It's a variation of his FF7 Costume with pauldron on each side and with his Advent Children Hairs. He's also getting the updated Buster Sword. His costume will be much more black too. His center belt will be raised up with 2 black belt under (see reference image below)

Basically, this is what he will look like when i'm done :

and FInally, doing this Crisis Core costume, I also had to include Zack!! (which is really the same costume only with a different head)

This will be his late game look too, basically expect him to look like this when i'm done :

That's it for today!
A Zack costume too?!?!?! SO HYPE :D:D:D:D:D

Top Bottom