• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Jaystring's mod thread

jaystring

Smash Ace
does the same thing on the wii
ok thank you for the info! I think it safe to say that there's definitively something not right.

I'll give a try to fix mewtwo before release. I "kind of" have a super vague idea of what might be the issue but really it's all guest at this point and never worked with Zero Suit Samus

Because I did encounter it with Ike and Marth at one point and fix it by optimizing the skinning (the "NumNodes" value in brawlbox). Or it fixed itself, I don't really know at this point.

Gosh I wished we had better debug tool.

Obskore

Smash Ace
ok thank you for the info! I think it safe to say that there's definitively something not right.

I'll give a try to fix mewtwo before release. I "kind of" have a super vague idea of what might be the issue but really it's all guest at this point and never worked with Zero Suit Samus

Because I did encounter it with Ike and Marth at one point and fix it by optimizing the skinning (the "NumNodes" value in brawlbox). Or it fixed itself, I don't really know at this point.

Gosh I wished we had better debug tool.
hmm, doesn't dolphin have a way to dump a debug log in real time?

jaystring

Smash Ace
hum yeah you're right, I think there is one. I don't know if I can find anything useful in it thought but it's worth the try.

jaystring

Smash Ace
Hello!

So, I've got an awesome news for you all today, I've just released Wii U Mewtwo!!

He comes with all his wii U recolors and I've even had some fun with him and included some extras!

For exemple

1) I've made a completely custom "Dark Mewtwo" for fun inspired from some fan artwork i've seen of him. He has a super black texture with a heavy rim light and has bright blue eyes. I purposely didn't incluse any face expression on this costume

http://i.imgur.com/3seE9Re.jpg

2) I've included all Project M armor variants but I've also made armors without helmet. I thought they looked cool!

http://i.imgur.com/SEDyVIX.jpg

3) His 3rd Project M costume is paired with the dark purple Mewtwo. I liked it better that way. If you want it the same was as project M did, you can just take the texture from another pac and import it back on his red and black armor costume

http://i.imgur.com/rBrlTZG.jpg

He should be completly bug free (let me know if not!!!!) EXCEPT for the annoying crash in long matches... i've not managed to fix this and, to this day, don't know how.

I don't think a lot of people are playing 30+ stock matches so I don't think it will be that big of an issue anyway.

Good news also, he not that much high res that project M Mewtwo so I think wii user will not experience lag with him (I don't promise it but number kind of tell me he should be fine)

He was tested on dolphin project M 3.6 and work really fine.

To be completely honest, I didn't intended to do Mewtwo this soon but I got asked about him soo often and so many people mentioned me that he would be super hard to port that well I took it as a "Challenged accepted"

I'm happy with how he turned out, I hope you'll have fun with it!

Full Gallery

Brawlvault Link

Obskore

Smash Ace
hi Jaystring, have you thought of updating your Wii U Jiggs model? i've seen that her normals are weird, most noticeable when getting a Metal Box.

NXero

Smash Apprentice
Are CSPs, BPs and stocks included in the M2 download? If not, is someone else working on them? I ask because I had to make my own images for the other characters I downloaded, and this Mewtwo looks like a custom model so I can't just use the WiiU ones or grab a random render off google

jaystring

Smash Ace
not yet but I intend to do them!!!

I'm looking into doing PM style good quality CSP soon. (thank to Nanobud who provided me the max scene for their PM render)

It's something I wanted to do for a while because I don't like having sketchy CSP as well, they make your build look cheap...

I just haven't gotten the time to check it out yet but I plan to do original custom CSP of all my mod and have them included in my future mod too.

I was going to test this out this weekend.

for now, there is someone who did Wii U renders as CSP for Mewtwo on Brawl Vault. you can use those as placeholder until I have time to do mine. The "Normal" mewtwo is indeed the Wii U model. Only the one with armor can be considered "custom" because I blended Wii U Mewtwo with Project M's armor model. Those have no CSP anywhere right now.

Jmanthesmasher683

Smash Journeyman
I have to say the quality of these imports are great, especially since you recolor the textures to make them fit into brawl's style. Good work!

jaystring

Smash Ace
Thank you! Yes it's my objective to actually make them look seamless with the rest of Brawl's original cast.

jaystring

Smash Ace
DMC3 Dante is Released!!

He comes with 4 costumes, facial expressions, have a one-slot size mod (not scaled version included as well) and yellow eyes (with not scaled version only!)

More details in the Brawl Vault post and in the readme file included in the .rar

Image Gallery

BrawlVault Link

From now on, I'll try to include a tease of new stuff I'm doing when I release a new mod. Just for fun!

So to start today, since Dante is from Capcom, I'll share some more Capcom stuff I'm doing!

1) First, well you guy already know that Vergil and Lady will get done eventually. I don't have anything more to share about them except that Vergil will have 2 costume and be a Marth Skin and Lady a Snake skin (she'll be my "practice" for a Snake mod, haven't done any yet).

2) I've mentionned a while back that I was doing Wii U Megaman X with a custom model with his ultimate armor. Well today I'm sharing the very first look of it! Please keep in mind that It's a full on WIP and only the modeling has been done, there is absolutely no texture job done at all on it, it's not even unwrapped yet. So he'll look much much better later. Wii U megaman X regular model haven't received a texture pass either. they will all be done later.

but anyway, here it is!

3) There's another Capcom character in Smash 4 apart from Megaman. I haven't forgot about him!

Hope you guy like it!

jaystring

Smash Ace
right now, no. I have plans for many more Smash WIi U characters but I'm only focusing on new characters and characters that have received big visual upgrades.

Some characters, like Meta Knight for exemple, have the exact same model as the Brawl one, They only tweaked the textures to make them fit better the Wii U artstyle. There's really no point in importing them as i'm "Brawl-ifing" them anyway.

I might do the other smash wii U ones later but I'll probably switch to other game character model (like Hyrule Warriors!) and some custom projects before doing this.

jaystring

Smash Ace
So, I started doing some tests with renders, in order to make CSPs of all my mods + include them in my future mods.

I've made a first test with Mewtwo, I would like to know what you think of them!

Here

Once I've find a good lighting setup, I'll use it on all my other mod to create a batch of CSPs.

I really haven't done a lot of lighting setups before and renders so I'm pretty new with this stuff!

Rᴏb

still here, just to suffer
What are you using to make that? It looks really ****in good for a first test.

jaystring

Smash Ace
Thanks a lot! actually yeah well ok... it was my first test that I was willing to share lol

It's much more simple that it looks, it's actually a render in 3dsmax with the default Skyline renderer. I only use 2 light (a main light and a back light) + a skylight with the lighttracer thing.

Initially I wanted to use Nanobuds' Scene that they use to render their project M CSPs but I ended up not using it because 1) I'm not very experienced with mental ray and it was overwelming to start learning how it works and how materials works and 2) render time where too long for my tests on my not soo good work pc.

This takes seconds to render.

If you guy like it, I'll give it a test to actually render the rest of the costumes and test them with real CSP and see how they look in-game (haven't even done that yet)

Taiko

Smash Ace
I feel like there's a lot of work to be done there personally, but it all depends on how much time you want to spend on a render.

Rendering:
At 1080p, I noticed with Max it takes about an hour or so for a good Mental Ray render (assuming you don't get too crazy with it) where Blender (Cycles) usually only takes 20 mins for a similar result thanks to it using CUDA cores. As for the default Max renderer, I don't feel like it has enough to work with personally, it just feels way too limiting. The render time is much quicker yes, but it also shows in the final result I find.

Lighting:
Currently, it feels too dark overall, and has a very...well, computer-generated look to it. This page should help, it explains the 3-point lighting system which you usually see for portraits (and what the Smash 3 renders use). You might be able to get away with just the front two for a Brawl styled render though, I don't really see a strong backlight on them (experiment with this). In general, you want to make the models feel like they're actual living things, and not just statues placed in front of a strong light.

Also, I noticed you mentioned finding a good lighting setup to make the rest of your CSPs...but you can't really have a "universal" lighting setup, it just won't work well in the end. You'll want to stick with the 3-point setup for the most part, but you'll also want to tweak the individual placement and values of the lights to be sure everything looks the best it can.

Materials:
I noticed that Mewtwo looks very shiny, almost like he was dipped in oil here. For the tail it's fine, but for the body it gets very noticeable on spots like the feet. I'd suggest toning it down, as the Smash 4 render makes him look smooth and non-reflective with the skin.

Pose:
The main thing that sticks out to me here is the feet, they're very straight while in all of Mewtwo's artworks they're bent either forward or backward depending on how he's standing, but never straight like they are here. It almost feels like the pose is a slight edit of the t-pose, I feel like there should be a bit more movement in general.

Hope this helps!

EDIT: This was much shorter in my head...

Last edited:

jaystring

Smash Ace
I feel like there's a lot of work to be done there personally, but it all depends on how much time you want to spend on a render.

Rendering:
At 1080p, I noticed with Max it takes about an hour or so for a good Mental Ray render (assuming you don't get too crazy with it) where Blender (Cycles) usually only takes 20 mins for a similar result thanks to it using CUDA cores. As for the default Max renderer, I don't feel like it has enough to work with personally, it just feels way too limiting. The render time is much quicker yes, but it also shows in the final result I find.

Lighting:
Currently, it feels too dark overall, and has a very...well, computer-generated look to it. This page should help, it explains the 3-point lighting system which you usually see for portraits (and what the Smash 3 renders use). You might be able to get away with just the front two for a Brawl styled render though, I don't really see a strong backlight on them (experiment with this). In general, you want to make the models feel like they're actual living things, and not just statues placed in front of a strong light.

Also, I noticed you mentioned finding a good lighting setup to make the rest of your CSPs...but you can't really have a "universal" lighting setup, it just won't work well in the end. You'll want to stick with the 3-point setup for the most part, but you'll also want to tweak the individual placement and values of the lights to be sure everything looks the best it can.

Materials:
I noticed that Mewtwo looks very shiny, almost like he was dipped in oil here. For the tail it's fine, but for the body it gets very noticeable on spots like the feet. I'd suggest toning it down, as the Smash 4 render makes him look smooth and non-reflective with the skin.

Pose:
The main thing that sticks out to me here is the feet, they're very straight while in all of Mewtwo's artworks they're bent either forward or backward depending on how he's standing, but never straight like they are here. It almost feels like the pose is a slight edit of the t-pose, I feel like there should be a bit more movement in general.

Hope this helps!

EDIT: This was much shorter in my head...
Thanks a lot for the comments!!

yeah i'll definitively still tweak them, the point of posting them was to have this kind of comments.

I agree with the feet pose, I didn't like them either, they don't feel dynamic enough. I'll tweak them for sure!

The material spec is a bit on the high side too I agree, will tweak it!

I didn't mean to have a lighting setup that I just copy paste for all mod but to have a base that I can start of and then re-position the lights/ tweak their values depending on the model etc etc.

Now, it's important to keep in mind that i'm really not trying to do nice render but to do nice (or as nice as possible) CSP is the most efficient/fast way possible.

Your comment about Mental Ray render taking 1h is exactly what I mean by not been a viable option : Just my Wii U Mewtwo has 16 costumes so there's no way I could take 16h to render all of them. and that's if I actually have a perfect render the first time (don't count the test time for poses, lights, materials etc) and also that's just Mewtwo, I have 9 other mods already release and they all have bunch of costumes too!!

3dsmax scanline is really not that good, I agree. I actually cheated in my posted render by putting a bit of ambiant light to try to fix the "too dark and computer generated look" you mentionned (I know exactly what you mean by this! 3dsmax scanline is really crappy about this and I think it's because it's creating way too dark shadows)

BUT , in the end, I'm really trying to create really small 128x160 png images that would blend as much as possible with the rest of the Brawl/PM CSP in the most efficient way possible to still have time to actually do more mods. and 3dsmax's scanline MIGHT be able to do that (that's why i'm still testing! not sure yet)

I'll continue to test, next time l'll actually put them in-game to see

drogoth232

Smash Lord
Can't say I approve of it's quality, but I can appreciate what you're doing. It just doesn't seem as good as your other work tbh. Probably because of the style clash with Smash4 Ryu and SF4 Ken.

That being said, I'm impressed you were able to optimize Ryu. Well done!

Last edited:

jaystring

Smash Ace
Yeah forgot to mention that it's WIP!

Don't worry, it will look like the rest of my stuff in the end. It's all placeholder textures right now ( I always do the textures last)

It's the same as what I've shown of Megaman X really

I've took a good look at both model (the SF4 and Smash 4) and they are REALLY similar. in fact i'm certain smash 4 Ryu's model was started with SF4 Ryu and they upgraded it. the models geometry matches too much.

i'm only sad right now that I won't be able to give Ryu and Ken full facial expression... I just realised Captain Falcon's facial don't use model swap but has only a rigged mouth. I won't be able to change his eyes or make him blink

drogoth232

Smash Lord
Shame...
And yeah, the model geometry is pretty similar. Texture work isn't. Hope you have an easy time replicating it!

Might I ask how many polys/facepoints Ryu is at?

jaystring

Smash Ace
yeah you're right, their textures are totally different. Ken's final texture will be heavily modified

Ryu has 18 300 triangles (not counting the facial expression but he's not getting them anyway except for a skinned mouth.)

It's actually lower that other mods i've done.

For comparaison, my Wii U Ike model (all facial expression included) has 21500 triangles, Wii U Marth (all facial included) has 19 300 triangles.

Hopefully most of Captain Falcon's Animation has him looking straight in front of him too because I don't think I can give him moving eye because he's mask and doesn't have them. Super sad about that one.

drogoth232

Smash Lord
Could you PM me the file you're using? I need to make sure the tests I'm running is actually accurate.

If not, I can always wait for you to officially release it. No big deal. Just would help make sure I'm actually sane.

jaystring

Smash Ace
The files? what file!? the max file? the pac file!?

i don't have a pac file yet, he's not even close to being imported to brawlbox. i'm still fixing the mesh normal/ updating it to support Ken / fix UVs etc.

If it's the pac file you want, I can give it to you once I do the first import (the skin will be a total mess at that point but all the mesh data will be in)

If you want the max file, well, it still a mesh now because of all duplicate stuff I have in it to fit it to captain falcon's bone etc but I can share it to you once it's pretty cleaned up.

drogoth232

Smash Lord
What I really need is the mesh data, so I guess I'll just wait for then. Thanks for considering lol

jaystring

Smash Ace
a .dae with textures!?

I can make you one as soon as the mesh is cleaned! Should take a couple of days, depending on how much I work on him versus my other mods

drogoth232

Smash Lord
just the raw DAE would be fine, don't need the textures for what I'm looking for lol

Cerulean

Smash Cadet
Big fan of everything here man, you're one of a kind modder out there.

Are you planning to import Sm4sh Link? The brawl model is so outdated...

jaystring

Smash Ace
Thanks a lot!

I'm considering Link but if I do him, he's gonna be done much later after other import i've got started first

D

Deleted member

Hope you end up doing Zelda soon, she looks so much better in Wii U and your work is so insanely impressive. Loving it.

jaystring

Smash Ace
yes Smash Wii U Zelda is up there with Smash Wii U Link in the consideration batch

I'm actually hesitant to said that I'll be doing them soon (soon been the key point here!)

because I think for zelda Characters, they deserve their Hyrule Warriors variant first. and these hyrule warriors model will take a long time to make as they have to be optimized first, they're way over budget for Smash Brawl.

i'm thinking of starting one soon

PrinceGal3n

Smash Journeyman
yes Smash Wii U Zelda is up there with Smash Wii U Link in the consideration batch

I'm actually hesitant to said that I'll be doing them soon (soon been the key point here!)

because I think for zelda Characters, they deserve their Hyrule Warriors variant first. and these hyrule warriors model will take a long time to make as they have to be optimized first, they're way over budget for Smash Brawl.

Of All of the Hyrule Warriors models, would you be open to trying your hand at Ganondorf's first?

Vinci2000

Smash Cadet
There's Octoling from Splatoon and Isabelle from Animal Crossing in the consideration batch?

jackal27

Smash Journeyman

Mega Man X looks SO good!

Also, yeah Hyrule Warriors Zelda and Ganon really really need to get in there. My hearts aches for them.

Top Bottom