• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Jaystring's mod thread

jaystring

Smash Ace
I haven't decided who i'll start first from HW but Ganondorf and Zelda are definitively high on the list.

The thing is, there's a reason why we've not seen HW Ganondorf anywhere yet. His hairs are really complex and right now, the only importer available to import HW model doesn't support polygons that are in physics.

So essentially, his hairs gets lost and the only 2 way I've figure out to get the hair back today is to 1) model them myself or 2) take the one from Ganon and see if they can fit.

I'll probably try first to see if ganon's hair work with ganondorf. I know I could model them myself too but at this point it's starting to look like a 1-2 months projects just for ganondorf.

The time they are going to take me is really the main reason why I haven't played around with hyrule warrior model yet. I want to get most of what I like from Smash Wii U first since they are done faster.

There's Octoling from Splatoon and Isabelle from Animal Crossing in the consideration batch?
Yes Isabelle will get done. Not too sure about Slatoon yet, I haven't played the game so I know nothing about the characters

jaystring

Smash Ace
First Mewtwo CSP test in-game

So what do you guy think? Do they blend-in well with the rest?

I'm using the HD re-texture by the way (for those playing on dolphin, this is a must!)

The real one will be even lower res so even less details.

jackal27

Smash Journeyman
First Mewtwo CSP test in-game

So what do you guy think? Do they blend-in well with the rest?

I'm using the HD re-texture by the way (for those playing on dolphin, this is a must!)

The real one will be even lower res so even less details.
Looks good to me! Any way you can move his eyes towards the camera/player a bit more? I love the look of these though. This may be enough to get me to swap all out all my Mewtwo models with these.

Wonder if I could ever convince Theytah to redo HIS Shadow Mewtwo with these models...
http://forums.kc-mm.com/Gallery/BrawlView.php?Number=35984

jaystring

Smash Ace
Looks good to me! Any way you can move his eyes towards the camera/player a bit more? I love the look of these though. This may be enough to get me to swap all out all my Mewtwo models with these.

Wonder if I could ever convince Theytah to redo HIS Shadow Mewtwo with these models...
http://forums.kc-mm.com/Gallery/BrawlView.php?Number=35984
yeah you're right, moving the eye just a bit is really better. I just tested it. will get fix!

hum.. Theytah's Shadow Mewtwo look simple enough, it's mostly only a texture update. I can do it if you want and put it in my update (that will contain the CSPs as well)

drogoth232

Smash Lord
CSP pic looks really odd. Probably the lighting. TBH, don't have anything to suggest what to make it better. But it doesn't really fit the rest of the cast.

Taiko

Smash Ace
To add onto what Drog said, the lighting still does feel odd. It feels like it's coming up from below, most noticeable on the tail. Compare it to Squirtle's tail and the difference is quite noticeable.

Other than that, the pose still has some spots that feel stiff. The arm in the back for one, feels like it's just hanging there since it's so far out. The eye is also too far forward, it should be back even further (it almost feels like he's avoiding looking at the camera).

Hope that all makes sense!

jaystring

Smash Ace
I really like everything about this except for the iris. It looks like it should be brighter or something compared to the rest of the eye. Do you mind playing around with it?
Yeah the Iris and the eyes were a bit the too much the same color. but that's how it was on Theytah original skin. Anyway, I actually did the contrary and made the iris darker instead of lighter. Here how he look in-game

http://imgur.com/a/64mig

As for the CSP, thanks a lot for the feedback.

The tail's misplaced "Shadow" is caused by the Skylight I think (it's the model itself casting shadow over his own tail). As for the pose, I based him on this. I guest I didn't choose the best reference as his left hand does look pretty sloppy even in the reference. The eye issue was mentionned to me by jackal27 yesterday and I fix it. it's indeed much better now!

While I agree with you guys that they might not be the best CSP ever, I think, well, at least for me, they are acceptable enough for now to be used until someone ( or myself) do better version.

I'm better at modeling and texturing than lighting I think. I've passed way too much time on a single mod's CSP.

i'll be honest, I don't really like doing renders. I'm doing them because I want to use my own mod and have matching icons with them but personally, micro tweaking the lighting feels like a chore right now as I don't seem to be able to see the error you guy are seeing.

so well, i'll pack the updated CSP version I made tonight for those who want to use them and will release them soon with the new recolor and I'll jump on Captain Toad's CSP. I want to pass over all my mod and make CSP for them (even if they aren't the best CSP ever) before continuing new stuff

CSP pic looks really odd. Probably the lighting. TBH, don't have anything to suggest what to make it better. But it doesn't really fit the rest of the cast.
As soon as I reopen Ryu, I'll give you the .dae. I didn't forget. but it might take a small while as I think i'll advance Megaman X first.

jaystring

Smash Ace
Ho and by the way, looking for some suggestions :

Do anyone has any idea who could be the Zero Suit Samus transformation for Megaman X (since he's a Samus mod)?

I would really have liked it to be Zero but man Zero will look weird as ZSS ( I might try it anyway to see what it looks like..).

Maybe the operator girl from the later Megaman X games I was thinking but I would have to make her model from scratch, I don't think there is one somewhere. So it might be long to do.

NXero

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, it needs to be a girl over ZSS. I was going to suggest Aile from MMZX, she uses a energy gun like ZSS, but she would work better as a separate mod because she has her own armor too.

jaystring

Smash Ace
Thanks for the suggestion! yeah for Megaman X ZSS version, I would like to keep it with a X serie characters. seems like I don't have much choice other that the operators for female characters. I didn't find any other ones

jaystring

Smash Ace
Some new stuff today, I'm going to release very very soon an update for Wii U Mewtwo and Captain Toad that will include all theirs icons + some stuff :

Here's a preview of the icons + Captain Toad and Toadette renders.

Mewtwo have a new recolor costume previously shown based on Theytah's shadow mewtwo , Captain Toad will come also with a modified FitPikmin.pac file to remove the glow antenna.

I've noticed that in PM 3.6, the PM team decided to add the glow antenna on all 10 olimar costume while in 3.5, only the 7 first one had it so it was possible to add 3 new skins with Cbliss without been bothered by it.

But now, every costume has it and I didn't want to use the antenna bone hack to fix it because it made some animation look very weird like the entry animation had the space ship all broken etc.

So I decided to go directly for the materials of the glow mesh, deactivate all of them and delete all particles effect in link with it.

Unfortunately, my method delete the glow antenna on ALL olimar costume but if you're like me and play PM for fun and not really for hardcore competition, this should do the trick.

I would have loved to find out how to deactivate it on some costume only but I don't know how. I know it's possible because it happen with PM 3.5 but at this point, only the PM team knows how to do it. It's probably coded somewhere.

Also, I've been testing a new thing about the HD re-texture project and manage to have very cool results.

Basically, most of my more complex Wii U mods have their textures reduced because of filesize limit but with the HD retexture project, It's actually possible to play the game using the original size texture I made them.

Here's a test on WIi U Roy in game.

So now, while I do the CSP pass on my mods, I will also include HD texture for mods that really benefit from them and dolphin player who use the HD retexture will actually be able to enjoy them.

now, I won't put HD texture for all my mods, only the one that make a big visual difference(most fire emblem cast for exemple)

Captain Toad and Mewtwo for exemple won't get them as their pac file already contain the almost full resolution texture.

PseudoTypical

Smash Lord
Yeah the Iris and the eyes were a bit the too much the same color. but that's how it was on Theytah original skin. Anyway, I actually did the contrary and made the iris darker instead of lighter. Here how he look in-game

http://imgur.com/a/64mig
I think it looks cool, but the concept of Shadow Mewtwo is to have him resemble Shadow Lugia, so I think his eyes should look closer to this:

jaystring

Smash Ace
I think it looks cool, but the concept of Shadow Mewtwo is to have him resemble Shadow Lugia, so I think his eyes should look closer to this:
hooo.. I didn't even know lol nobody told me that before lol.

yeah I didn't really played pokemon all that much.

Well, anyway, since all the icons/render/texture are already done, It will have to be updated in the next update, sorry about that

PseudoTypical

Smash Lord
hooo.. I didn't even know lol nobody told me that before lol.

yeah I didn't really played pokemon all that much.

Well, anyway, since all the icons/render/texture are already done, It will have to be updated in the next update, sorry about that
lol That's alright dude, at least you know now!

jaystring

Smash Ace
ok it's released!

Mewtwo with 1 new recolor and Icons

Captain Toad with icons and a glow fix for PM 3.6

Link (Mewtwo's on top and Captain Toad is the last one)

Granfalloon

Smash Cadet
Super hyped for your HD textures! Will you be going back and adding them for Marth, Ike and ZSS too? Your Wii U model ports are the best, I really appreciate the work you're putting in for them!

jaystring

Smash Ace
It's fine, I'm in no rush. What else do you plan to update him with? He seems complete to me.
nothing really, for now. maybe new CSP at some point if I decide to test new lighting. and sometimes I update my mods when I discover a new optimization method or a bug fix etc.

Super hyped for your HD textures! Will you be going back and adding them for Marth, Ike and ZSS too? Your Wii U model ports are the best, I really appreciate the work you're putting in for them!
Thanks!! yes Marth, Ike, ZSS will get HD textures. I'm doing the render, CSP icons and HD texture update in order I released them now. So Wii U Megaman is next.

Cynapse

Smash Ace
Love your work. (flipped **** when I saw Roy) Have it all and gotta ask: Have you considered releasing/updating your imports with versions that have their original textures where applicable? It'd be interesting to see them side-by-side with their originals. I was actually considering of doing that myself and asking you for permission to release them.

I think it looks cool, but the concept of Shadow Mewtwo is to have it resemble Shadow Lugia
Eh. That concept is fan-made and outdated (but still awesome) what with Pokken's Shadow Mewtwo strutting about. Either way, I think the iris looks better when darkened because jaystring retextured the import to fit Brawl's style.

jaystring

Smash Ace
Love your work. (flipped **** when I saw Roy) Have it all and gotta ask: Have you considered releasing/updating your imports with versions that have their original textures where applicable? It'd be interesting to see them side-by-side with their originals. I was actually considering of doing that myself and asking you for permission to release them.

Eh. That concept is fan-made and outdated (but still awesome) what with Pokken's Shadow Mewtwo strutting about. Either way, I think the iris looks better when darkened because jaystring retextured the import to fit Brawl's style.
the original texture, you mean the one directly from smash wii U without modification!?

That doesn't really work, or actually it will work but will look horrible.

because there's a big difference between Brawl model and the Wii U one : On top of having a normal "diffuse texture" that all Brawl model have (what I call the diffuse texture is the texture you see of any brawl model in Brawlbox for exemple), the Wii U models have a new texture called a "Normal Map" that is not supported in Brawl (technical it has 2 new texture because the Spec map is hidden in the alpha channel of the normal map but that's more advance stuff.). This normal map incorporate all the detail of the model while the Brawl model used to have all their details painted directly inside the diffuse texture.

This is what a normal map look like if you have never seen one (took a random one of the internet). They are "weird" purple color texture.

Normal maps carry all the information of details of the model like material textures, folds, crease, etc etc (I won't go into details how it works but that's the basic of it)

So the Wii U diffuse texture of all model are really plain and have almost only plain colors because they use them only to determine colors and normal maps will show off the details, shadow, seams, material texture.

So to make them work in Brawl, I actually have to take these normal map and repaint them inside the diffuse texture. That's part of what I do to "Brawl-ifie" them (I do more than that but that's the basic of it)

Hopefully you understand a bit what I explained, It's kind of a little "advance" game dev stuff.

Here i'll show you some exemple.

This is what it look like to import a wii U model with it's wii U texture without any modification directly into brawl (I'm taking about the ugly wii U megaman with blue eyes. the other one is an old retexture I did of someone's megaman on Brawlvault lol)

By working out the textures like I do to all my mods, this is what I made with the same model. The difference between both is almost only texture work (and a bit of material and shader but the texture does most of the job in Brawl because it has a super basic render engine. Wii was kind of a ps2/xbox era console in term of "power")

and yeah, Pokken's new Shadow mewtwo could be a cool future update for my Mewtwo mod!

Rage83

Smash Ace
So to make them work in Brawl, I actually have to take these normal map and repaint them inside the diffuse texture. That's part of what I do to "Brawl-ifie" them (I do more than that but that's the basic of it)
Would you mind showing how you repaint the normal map onto the diffuse texture?

jaystring

Smash Ace
I use paint.NET (not MS Paint), which supports having separate layers and stuff.
Since I'm a bit busy these days, I won't have time to write up a full tutorial this week or this weekend BUT take a look at this :

http://forums.kc-mm.com/index.php?topic=73046.0

(I think you need a login on Brawlvault to see it, not sure)

It's very close to what i'm doing (i'm doing it a bit differently but the concept is exactly the same)

next week if you need more help I'll try answering your questions or make a more detailed tutorial etc.

jaystring

Smash Ace
Soo, I've been quite busy lately and didn't managed to do much modding.

I'm still doing Wii U Megaman's CSP but i'll also be adding some extra stuff with the CSP in the update!

First he's gonna get his Wii U recolors.

and he's also getting this new WIP Costume!

On top of having the Lucario Skin i've done updated, I'll probably also make an entirely new rig of my Wii U Megaman (and now Protoman) over Ness (might take a bit more time). So that he's gonna be compatible with the Megaman PSA found on Brawlvault.

It's something that was asked to me a while back.

Last edited:

jaystring

Smash Ace
Protoman looks simply astounding. I have to say, the first time I saw this I had the biggest smile on my face, it makes me incredibly happy to see you working on this, along with the possibility of rigging both Megaman and Protoman over Ness. Your work is absolutely incredible.
Thank You! I appreciate the comments!

jaystring

Smash Ace
Hum, so, I just learned the death of the PM team. It's quite sad really.

I've actually started to mod Brawl because of how awesome and inspiring Project M's work was. I was impressed with how much could be done with Brawl to add new stages, new characters etc with the current tools and that's what made me start to make mods for it.

PM was definitively my favorite smash game of today

That being said, I've got no intention to stop doing mod for it. On the contrary, I was soon going to start doing my own stage to be able to learn everything related to creating a stage (i'm pretty good now with character import stuff but I want to know how do to stages as well! )

If anything, the death of PM made me happy about one thing : I won't have to constantly go back to my mods and tweak them each time a new version was released because they changed something and cause problem with my mod or redo all my icons and stuff in my custom build when they change all the menu design.

The point of everything I'm doing is to actually have an "ultimate" custom build of PM with tons of new content that's as polished as what project M did.

I already have a personal custom build of PM 3.6 that's similar to what PM XP were doing with ASL, Cbliss, Stage expansion, tons and tons of stages, skins etc. I might share it eventually but it's nowhere near finished right now, I've got tons of icons left to do and want to make it as bug free as possible.

Right now, I'm just really really hoping that the dead of project M doesn't stop someone to make the clone engine or BrawlEx work with ASL and PM 3.6. It's really my most wanted thing right now as if we have this, the possibilities to add characters will be endless.

Last edited:

jackal27

Smash Journeyman
Hum, so, I just learned the death of the PM team. It's quite sad really.

I've actually started to mod Brawl because of how awesome and inspiring Project M's work was. I was impressed with how much could be done with Brawl to add new stages, new characters etc with the current tools and that's what made me start to make mods for it.

PM was definitively my favorite smash game of today

That being said, I've got no intention to stop doing mod for it. On the contrary, I was soon going to start doing my own stage to be able to learn everything related to creating a stage (i'm pretty good now with character import stuff but I want to know how do to stages as well! )

If anything, the death of PM made me happy about one thing : I won't have to constantly go back to my mods and tweak them each time a new version was released because they changed something and cause problem with my mod or redo all my icons and stuff in my custom build when they change all the menu design.

The point of everything I'm doing is to actually have an "ultimate" custom build of PM with tons of new content that's as polished as what project M did.

I already have a personal custom build of PM 3.6 that's similar to what PM XP were doing with ASL, Cbliss, Stage expansion, tons and tons of stages, skins etc. I might share it eventually but it's nowhere near finished right now, I've got tons of icons left to do and want to make it as bug free as possible.

Right now, I'm just really really hoping that the dead of project M doesn't stop someone to make the clone engine or BrawlEx work with ASL and PM 3.6. It's really my most wanted thing right now as if we have this, the possibilities to add characters will be endless.
You're such a great and positive part of this community man. I've only been playing PM for about a year and I was still absolutely crushed by this news. Project M represents something big for me. That spirit of inspiration, ownership, and creativity that video games inspire in those that play them. Creations like Project M should be encouraged, not feared. Whatever the reason PMDT closed up shop, it wasn't fair how they were treated by Nintendo or by a large part of the Smash player base. They created something that should have been impossible and we still get to enjoy it for years to come.

You and everyone else who works on custom content is part of that now as well. So, thank you for everything you've made and continue to make. I'd love to see your build as well. I'll continue to add your creations to my own build as well.

jaystring

Smash Ace
You're such a great and positive part of this community man. I've only been playing PM for about a year and I was still absolutely crushed by this news. Project M represents something big for me. That spirit of inspiration, ownership, and creativity that video games inspire in those that play them. Creations like Project M should be encouraged, not feared. Whatever the reason PMDT closed up shop, it wasn't fair how they were treated by Nintendo or by a large part of the Smash player base. They created something that should have been impossible and we still get to enjoy it for years to come.

You and everyone else who works on custom content is part of that now as well. So, thank you for everything you've made and continue to make. I'd love to see your build as well. I'll continue to add your creations to my own build as well.
Thanks a lot!

yeah I'll probably share my custom build at some point. but not before it's full functional and stuff so might take a while.

jaystring

Smash Ace
So I'm done with the Protoman Costume , here's a Brawlbox view of the final version

I've also done all official recolors, they only need to be tested in-game. (and probably tweaked after seeing them in-game)

Just like with Mewtwo, I decided to have some fun with recolors too.

I've added the new amiibo!

And also this recolor!! Anyone remember him!?

HypnotizeOverdrive

Smash Ace
NNID
HypnoOverdrive
So I'm done with the Protoman Costume , here's a Brawlbox view of the final version

I've also done all official recolors, they only need to be tested in-game. (and probably tweaked after seeing them in-game)

Just like with Mewtwo, I decided to have some fun with recolors too.

I've added the new amiibo!

And also this recolor!! Anyone remember him!?
If I may ask, considering I just now noticed this, where is Proto's arm armor? You know, the rounded thing between his elbow and hand.

jaystring

Smash Ace
lmao, that is effort! like "added the new amiibo!", oh i didn't see that one coming. "anyone remember him!?" NEITHER THIS, YOU'RE GOOD AT SURPRISES
haha thank! it's fun just trying to do newer recolors. I'm putting some fun into doing the recolor because honestly I always thought the original Brawl and smash Wii U recolors are kind of boring and lazy..

The gold amiibo made me practice doing shader and material (I find it funny now that my gold material kind of look better that the metal box shader. you've seen him in screenshot but actually he really shine in-game as his reflexion move around etc.) and I didn't thought the captain N costume would really work without making a new model but in the end, he turned out not too bad.

I could have made a custom model where he would have looked exactly like the show but I didn't think it was worth it to pass so much time on him, time I'm not spending on other cooler mods.

If I may ask, considering I just now noticed this, where is Proto's arm armor? You know, the rounded thing between his elbow and hand.
well the reason is that my protoman is based of a heavily modified Mii fighter costume and he didn't have the armor piece. Also, after looking at the trophy (which, by the way uses the exact same texture as the mii costume. they made the mii costume as a deformation of the original trophy), seem like they tone down a lot the "armor area" for his newer design.

HypnotizeOverdrive

Smash Ace
NNID
HypnoOverdrive
well the reason is that my protoman is based of a heavily modified Mii fighter costume and he didn't have the armor piece. Also, after looking at the trophy (which, by the way uses the exact same texture as the mii costume. they made the mii costume as a deformation of the original trophy), seem like they tone down a lot the "armor area" for his newer design.
That is incredibly weird, I don't know why the developers would make that change to his appearance. I don't know how I missed that.

Regardless, I'm still excited for your release. c:

Top Bottom