• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Jaystring's mod thread

DekZek

Smash Journeyman
I am assuming that he did that because of how the textures load (The eye is one texture, and emotions are expressed by a separate texture that covers part of the eyeball).

jaystring

Smash Ace
Quick question, why did you have Mewtwo's hurt expression have closed eyes rather than the changed pupils like smash 4?
No good reason, it was a personal choice I guest. For the hurt expression, There a specific bone that will load the model that you set for the eye expression.

It could have been anything. I could add him a hat when he's hurt if I wanted lol

He has the closed eye because, without even verifying what were the exact facial expression of Mewtwo on smash 4, I just decided I would use the closed eyes when hurt since I found them in his model while I was importing him from smash 4.

Most of the other characters have close eye for hurt expression so I didn't give it much though and just went with those.

Sooooooo good.

Since you showed interest before, would you mind doing the Shadow Mewtwo textures in line with what Theytah did with the PM model? It's based on the Shadow Pokemon from Pokemon Colosseum and Pokemon XD, not whatever Pokken did
Are you talking about this? :

It's in my mewtwo release since forever. I made an update at some point and added it to the .rar.

If you're not talking about that, send me an image of which skin you're talking about

Also, it will get updated very very soon to receive blue eye compatibility so wait for my update notice!

;-; Roy is feeling so sad right now.
Tell him to be patient!

PseudoTypical

Smash Lord
Are you talking about this? :

It's in my mewtwo release since forever. I made an update at some point and added it to the .rar.

If you're not talking about that, send me an image of which skin you're talking about

Also, it will get updated very very soon to receive blue eye compatibility so wait for my update notice!
That is what I'm talking about, but I asked you previously if you could update it to have eyes based on its source material (Shadow Lugia) and maybe tweak the colors a bit!

You'll notice the eyes are way different, and the white is brighter. That's all I meant.

jaystring

Smash Ace
That is what I'm talking about, but I asked you previously if you could update it to have eyes based on its source material (Shadow Lugia) and maybe tweak the colors a bit!

You'll notice the eyes are way different, and the white is brighter. That's all I meant.
Done!!

And when he grabs, he glow purple

jaystring

Smash Ace
Shadow Mewtwo's done! (except for the CSP stuff)

Here what the final version looks like.

As mentionned before, he's a modified version of smash 4 mewtwo with Pokken's asset. I did this because I wanted my Shadow mewtwo to fit well with my regular mewtwo. The actual pokken model had very different proportions (I personnally think the smash 4 one is the prettiest but that's subjective)

I've also retexture some part of Mewtwo like the skin scale/veins details + the tails "burning" look.

The encrusted rock and tails have self illuminated material that will always be lit.

The glowing eye when grabbing is fixed and will look like this for Shadow Mewtwo (purple eyes and purple glow around the body)

Regular mewtwo will be blue.

He's gonna get HD textures too (as well as all my Regular Smash 4 Mewtwo with the next update soon! I don't actually remember why I didn't include them last time )

Shadow Mewtwo's done! (except for the CSP stuff)

Here what the final version looks like.

As mentionned before, he's a modified version of smash 4 mewtwo with Pokken's asset. I did this because I wanted my Shadow mewtwo to fit well with my regular mewtwo. The actual pokken model had very different proportions (I personnally think the smash 4 one is the prettiest but that's subjective)

I've also retexture some part of Mewtwo like the skin scale/veins details + the tails "burning" look.

The encrusted rock and tails have self illuminated material that will always be lit.
Looks amazing, but definitely needs to be darker.
Look how Shadow Mewtwo looks in direct sunlight

Last edited:

jaystring

Smash Ace
Looks amazing, but definitely needs to be darker.
Look how Shadow Mewtwo looks in direct sunlight
hum actually that stage might not have been a good choice to showcase Shadow Mewtwo because it's veeery bright

He actually look more accurate on other stages

He's not too far off compare to in-game screenshot too (in terms of brightness)

but yeah I can make him darker if necessary, easy fix!

Last edited:

Heavy D88

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HeavyD1488
3DS FC
1719-3686-1030
So... Nano released a new Roy model. :v I have a feeling something might be shown down the line...

Also... Roy is patient. But he gets lonely.

jaystring

Smash Ace
So... Nano released a new Roy model. :v I have a feeling something might be shown down the line...

Also... Roy is patient. But he gets lonely.
Everybody get lonely sometimes! He'll get over it!

and yeah! your feeling is right!

Here's my Wii U Awakening Roy!

This is not a new project, I made this a longg time ago (at the same time as Wii U Project M Roy) but after asking Nabobud about it, I kept it for my build and kept it secret until the real Awakening Roy got released.

He got the same treatment as my other Wii U character in Brawl costume (got modified proportion to fit the model, got some metallic shader treatment, etc)

I will release him as I update Roy (for YOU Heavy D88) at some point in the future. (not now, go enjoy the official Awakening Roy first!)

DekZek

Smash Journeyman
Question. Are you making team recolors for Wii U Awakening Roy. If you are tell me so I can replace all my other Roy costumes with your SSB4 Roy, and have my OCD satiated. (Otherwise, looking from the textures, it will take at least a week for me to make recolors for team matches).

jaystring

Smash Ace
Question. Are you making team recolors for Wii U Awakening Roy. If you are tell me so I can replace all my other Roy costumes with your SSB4 Roy, and have my OCD satiated. (Otherwise, looking from the textures, it will take at least a week for me to make recolors for team matches).
There's no recolor done as of today but nothing prevent me from doing some recolors just before I upload him

since I'm pretty good with photoshop already, Recolors are super easy and super fast to do for me.

so yeah I'll take your idea in consideration!

Greyson

Smash Apprentice
Excellent work. Will it be compatible with a Wii? Any plans for a version with the Sword of Seals?

??Sanic Hedgehog??

Smash Ace
NNID
Sliverboy
3DS FC
5069-4545-8058
Everybody get lonely sometimes! He'll get over it!

and yeah! your feeling is right!

Here's my Wii U Awakening Roy!

This is not a new project, I made this a longg time ago (at the same time as Wii U Project M Roy) but after asking Nabobud about it, I kept it for my build and kept it secret until the real Awakening Roy got released.

He got the same treatment as my other Wii U character in Brawl costume (got modified proportion to fit the model, got some metallic shader treatment, etc)

I will release him as I update Roy (for YOU Heavy D88) at some point in the future. (not now, go enjoy the official Awakening Roy first!)
<3

Rage83

Smash Ace
J jaystring A note for ya on Awakening Roy. The 'clean release' on Brawl Vault actually has a fair share of bugfixes on it compared to the previously "released" one. (I just wanna be sure that you're using the newer junk)

Heavy D88

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HeavyD1488
3DS FC
1719-3686-1030
Oh trust me, I already have. I got him into the game as soon as he was released by Nano. Really good work on him. Glad to see my feeling was correct. :v

On another note. There's one thing that does "bother" me, in a way... nothing serious, just my thoughts but, on the PM costume for Roy and now Awakening... his hands still use the old models. With those fat pudgy fingers. I was wondering if there's a way to get Smash U Roy's hands on them as a replacement? It'd fit/look so much better for him to me. Again, just a thought I've been having.

Last edited:

jaystring

Smash Ace
J jaystring A note for ya on Awakening Roy. The 'clean release' on Brawl Vault actually has a fair share of bugfixes on it compared to the previously "released" one. (I just wanna be sure that you're using the newer junk)
I will take a look yes at the new release but honestly I did not find any bug with my version, it's working really great. (except for the sword trail thing but you'll be able to use Nano's FitRoy.pac for that. should work with my edit too since the sword have stay at the same position on both model

Oh trust me, I already have. I got him into the game as soon as he was released by Nano. Really good work on him. Glad to see my feeling was correct. :v

On another note. There's one thing that does "bother" me, in a way... nothing serious, just my thoughts but, on the PM costume for Roy and now Awakening... his hands still use the old models. With those fat pudgy fingers. I was wondering if there's a way to get Smash U Roy's hands on them as a replacement? It'd fit/look so much better for him to me. Again, just a thought I've been having.
The problem with using WIi U Roy's hand is that I'm adding a new texture just for the hand which up filesize and Roy's already pretty big filesize wise + Roy's costume don't have a ton of filesize space before it crash on loading

(unless I map it back to awakening Roy's texture) but then I,m back to what I think is the real problem : I don't think awakening Roy hand model look bad, I think it's just the texture that would need more details/mapping tweak.

Also, Nano's release includes a FitRoy.pac in it. When you make the release, include that as well so others who are waiting don't have to do two downloads.
yeah i'll include them. they should work perfectly fine as is. I'll test them out soon.

Shadow Mewtwo's coming but I experience some middle match in-game freeze with him and all the other fixed mewtwo. I'm suspecting the new blue glow texture I added made the model be a bit too big in filesize and fill up the memory in-game when they all get loaded.

I'll be optimizing them a bit before release so it's coming soon!

Greyson

Smash Apprentice
I will take a look yes at the new release but honestly I did not find any bug with my version, it's working really great. (except for the sword trail thing but you'll be able to use Nano's FitRoy.pac for that. should work with my edit too since the sword have stay at the same position on both model
Try using the Super Scope.

WildestSpade1

Smash Cadet
Have you looked at Mewtwo's disappearing neck when jumping? Not sure if it is even possible/worth it to fix, but thought I'd share because your stuff is so close to prefect.

DekZek

Smash Journeyman
FIX: Could you add this, fix it, and make it an Alt for your SSB4 Roy?

Nanobuds Nanobuds , care to fix said render before Jaystring comes over? It's proof of concept. It can be improved upon, but as of now it proves that the idea can be executed.

jaystring

Smash Ace
Have you looked at Mewtwo's disappearing neck when jumping? Not sure if it is even possible/worth it to fix, but thought I'd share because your stuff is so close to prefect.
yes I have! it's a skin + animation issue. I will take a look at the original PM mewtwo to see how they skinned that part to avoid that. it PM mewtwo is also broken, there's little I can do.

also, it's an annoying bug because I need to re-export all the models to fix the skinning... it's a long process

J jaystring Can you add this as well?

And make it an Alt for your SSB4 Roy?
are you talking about the CSP pose?

or the costume? The costume is already done since a good while, just search my history post in Brawlvault

Heres the latest version.
http://i.imgur.com/Ut7U5tm.png

Jaystring if you want me to render out your Roy, just let me know and I'd be happy to.
I would love to have you render my mods! and that pose is really cool!

smash 4 roy + smash 4 roy with PM costume are already available on Brawlvault and I can send you the awakening Wii U Roy somewhere tonight as well if you want so that the render will be ready once the model is ready too!

Nanobuds

Smash Ace
yes I have! it's a skin + animation issue. I will take a look at the original PM mewtwo to see how they skinned that part to avoid that. it PM mewtwo is also broken, there's little I can do.

also, it's an annoying bug because I need to re-export all the models to fix the skinning... it's a long process

are you talking about the CSP pose?

or the costume? The costume is already done since a good while, just search my history post in Brawlvault

I would love to have you render my mods! and that pose is really cool!

smash 4 roy + smash 4 roy with PM costume are already available on Brawlvault and I can send you the awakening Wii U Roy somewhere tonight as well if you want so that the render will be ready once the model is ready too!
I got all your other costumes from the Vault last night, but I wasn't able to finish them. I'm traveling for the weekend but I'll for sure render everything when I get back. Send me Awakening whenever you get a chance!

jaystring

Smash Ace
Try using the Super Scope.

No super scope issues with my model (unless you are talking about the yellow glow at the very very end when the scope is fully charged but that is normal, take a look with any vanilla brawl character, it's suposed to be that way

I think I fix it all the potential issues the old model could have without really knowing it because I exported the model back to 3dsmax, did the required 3D model edit and exported it back to brawlbox as a fresh new export, resetting all materials/shader etc and starting those from scratch.

Greyson

Smash Apprentice
Oh, neat. That Super Scope issue would persist even after Roy stopped using it. I wouldn't be confident to say that all the potential problems were resolved unless someone like Nanobuds shed light on what the exact bug fixes were, but the Super Scope thing was the most glaring. I didn't even know that there was an issue with his side special until Nano brought it up.

jaystring

Smash Ace
so, after investigation, i've decided I would not fix this issue.

It's the kind of issue that if I fix on one side, I create a problem elsewhere.

I actually had a "fixed" version done just now but the problem was that in the other animation like the "normal wait" animation, the back pipe thing would look all disproportionate and ugly compare to my old version.

the original PM mewtwo had that pipe at a different location then my mewtwo model (it's higher on the head and lower on the back) which is why it kind of work (it still get all distorted but looks acceptable)

since we see more often static animation like the wait animation then part of the Jump F animation, I decided I would keep that one looking good on animation we see more often meaning I'll keep the old skinning

The real real way to fix this would have been to add a specific bone for this but I do not want to play with the bones to keep it compatible with default PM Mewtwo fitmotion

sorry about that!

jaystring

Smash Ace
Could you find a way to fix it entirely for SSB4 Mewtwo so the same FitMotion also solves the issue for PM Mewtwo?
well, it's not just about adding a bone, it would need to be animated too.

There would be another easier/faster way to fix this : since it happen only on a couple of animation, tweak the animation where this king of clipping is happening to make it look correctly (the back pipe thing is not actually dissapearing like it was mentionned as a bug. what is actually happening is because of the skinning and the animation (it's the fault of both at the same time), the polygons of the pipes are actually going inside Mewtwo's body making it look like it has dissapeared.

Unfortunately, I've never played with animation yet, I would not know at this day how to tweak a Brawl animation

Last edited:

jaystring

Smash Ace
my latest test with Mewtwo update and shadow Mewtwo have been unsuccessful unfortunately.

Similar to my Wii U ZSS, I have been experiencing mid match freeze in very long matches (50 stock 4v4 CPU level 9).

Freeze when all CPU reach close to 30 stock.

seem totally random. I've thought for a long time that it might have been related to memory issues but my optimized model are now lower in filesize then vanilla PM mewtwo..

I've never been able to figure out what's the issue with ZSS so I might have to release the mod in this condition since I have no Idea what is causing this...

Project M has a memory leak issue. The longer it is on, the more it fills up until it crashes. Matches your issue exactly, nothing you can do about it.

Are you doing Mega Shadow Mewtwo X as well?

Last edited:

WildestSpade1

Smash Cadet
my latest test with Mewtwo update and shadow Mewtwo have been unsuccessful unfortunately.

Similar to my Wii U ZSS, I have been experiencing mid match freeze in very long matches (50 stock 4v4 CPU level 9).

Freeze when all CPU reach close to 30 stock.

seem totally random. I've thought for a long time that it might have been related to memory issues but my optimized model are now lower in filesize then vanilla PM mewtwo..

I've never been able to figure out what's the issue with ZSS so I might have to release the mod in this condition since I have no Idea what is causing this...
I've had 3.6 crash after long stock matches or a few hours in training mode. I don't think your models are the issue.

Last edited:

jaystring

Smash Ace
yeah you guy might be right. plus, it's not a huge issue as it's very rare people will be doing these kind of long matches.

but still, i'm incline to believe it's my models because I've never crash on long matches with vanilla characters + some of my export can do the 50 stock match without issues (like Wii U Ike)

It's still annoy me that I've not figure that out but I don't think i'll ever find out what's up without good debug tools or someone that has deep knowledge of how the game engine works.

DekZek

Smash Journeyman
I put in your SSB4 Mewtwo and Roy costumes (Alongside Awakening PM Roy as a placeholder), and they are amazing. My one question, however is how do I replace the CSS Image (Not the full render, the one that you have labelled CI_COO). Everything else (CSP, RSP, SI) is replaced, but I want to replace these and I can't figure out how to do so, for either Mewtwo or Roy.

jaystring

Smash Ace
I put in your SSB4 Mewtwo and Roy costumes (Alongside Awakening PM Roy as a placeholder), and they are amazing. My one question, however is how do I replace the CSS Image (Not the full render, the one that you have labelled CI_COO). Everything else (CSP, RSP, SI) is replaced, but I want to replace these and I can't figure out how to do so, for either Mewtwo or Roy.
yeah, the one with the purple background

it's located in the same file as the CSP (menu2/sc_selcharacter.pac I think) and it's under "MiscData70" I think (if it's not, look around in the folders, it's somewhere in there)

DekZek

Smash Journeyman
yeah, the one with the purple background

it's located in the same file as the CSP (menu2/sc_selcharacter.pac I think) and it's under "MiscData70" I think (if it's not, look around in the folders, it's somewhere in there)
Thanks. I had to take the full portraits, crop them, and make a background for them, though. The build I am using as a base (Project M Legacy) has a red background instead of purple.

Top Bottom