• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Jaxinville FL Thread *WE GOIN HAM ON LoL SHAWTY*

Status
Not open for further replies.

B_AWAL

Smash Master
Hey guys... M2K is coming to my tourney if I add Melee... I was seeing if you all were coming & if you were then I'll run Melee but if not then I wont.

SOmeone hit me up and let me know if you all are coming or not

Gahtzu

Smash Journeyman
wahtsup guys.

Things look like I will be returning to my beloved Jacksonville and attending UNF next semester. stop.
What I am about to say may seem *** hole-ish but I feel must be said.

Jacksonville has a history of having no history of good players. Why?

All the Jax ppl that get motivated to play try to pull together smashfests for practice and hopefully improve.

Being in and out of the Jax melee scene since '06 I've noticed something.
No one really gets much better than the "average" player.
Why?

Not enough advice regarding what the fuhk actually happened in each match is ever given.
Sitting around and playing is useless, in the end everyone is just mindlessly playing the game for what it is and not for what it's about. More in depth communication regarding how player X won the match and/or why player Y lost MUST be discussed in order to reach any kind of notable skill level.

Practicing tech skill and what not is fine, but can (and imo SHOULD) be done on your own time. What i notice in these fests is people trying hard for the first 15min and then go into autopilot mode. Everyone improves but at such a slow rate that the fest may as well have not even occurred.

Everytime I go to a smashfest in Jax now everyone is just trying to troll each other, that's fun and all but why bother investing so much time in this game if you're only going to laugh at each other for stupid mistakes?

More of Jax needs to do research about the game and spread discoveries to others so everyone gets better. We must have more cohesion with each other on WHY certain situations in the game happen and WHAT you can do to avoid or get out of them. IMO, we need more more more discussions on matchups.

Playing and talking with all the PRs in Florida has taught me so much about how ****ing important it is to know the matchups. Seriously, if you know all of the options the character you're playing against has against you then the only thing left is evaluating which option(s) your opponent is going for and then choosing the right option to counter it.
The things that makes melee hard is
(a. how fast paced the options can come out and change
(b. being able to COMPLETELY control your character
(c. figuring out which option covers what (the matchup)

When a fest happens and you win a match try to explain to the other guy whatever you read off them. If you see someone going for the same thing over and over or just doing **** that doesn't make sense then LET THEM KNOW. Stop ****ing trolling each other and get serious if you really want Jax to have any kind of good melee scene and be reputable in the community. I know this all seems obvious but no one seems to be doing it.

Jax traveling to Gainesville was great, but I saw NO ONE asking for any kind of advice from them.

Anyway, when I get back to Jax'nville I'm going to try my ****ing hardest to spread what I've learned over here and try to really advance all the Jax players that are serious about getting good.

Marsfool, Gage, Gmoney : help?

<3 to all my Jacksonvillains

XoFF

Smash Journeyman
jason might be the missing link, im still down to play its just hard to get others motivated enough to travel, which was my goal.

Edit: and i agree with your story jason

VGmasta

Smash Lord
All the Jax ppl that get motivated to play try to pull together smashfests for practice and hopefully improve.

Being in and out of the Jax melee scene since '06 I've noticed something.
No one really gets much better than the "average" player.
Why?

Not enough advice regarding what the fuhk actually happened in each match is ever given.
Sitting around and playing is useless, in the end everyone is just mindlessly playing the game for what it is and not for what it's about. More in depth communication regarding how player X won the match and/or why player Y lost MUST be discussed in order to reach any kind of notable skill level.

Practicing tech skill and what not is fine, but can (and imo SHOULD) be done on your own time. What i notice in these fests is people trying hard for the first 15min and then go into autopilot mode. Everyone improves but at such a slow rate that the fest may as well have not even occurred.

Everytime I go to a smashfest in Jax now everyone is just trying to troll each other, that's fun and all but why bother investing so much time in this game if you're only going to laugh at each other for stupid mistakes?

More of Jax needs to do research about the game and spread discoveries to others so everyone gets better. We must have more cohesion with each other on WHY certain situations in the game happen and WHAT you can do to avoid or get out of them. IMO, we need more more more discussions on matchups.

Playing and talking with all the PRs in Florida has taught me so much about how ****ing important it is to know the matchups. Seriously, if you know all of the options the character you're playing against has against you then the only thing left is evaluating which option(s) your opponent is going for and then choosing the right option to counter it.
The things that makes melee hard is
(a. how fast paced the options can come out and change
(b. being able to COMPLETELY control your character
(c. figuring out which option covers what (the matchup)

When a fest happens and you win a match try to explain to the other guy whatever you read off them. If you see someone going for the same thing over and over or just doing **** that doesn't make sense then LET THEM KNOW. Stop ****ing trolling each other and get serious if you really want Jax to have any kind of good melee scene and be reputable in the community. I know this all seems obvious but no one seems to be doing it.

Jax traveling to Gainesville was great, but I saw NO ONE asking for any kind of advice from them.

Anyway, when I get back to Jax'nville I'm going to try my ****ing hardest to spread what I've learned over here and try to really advance all the Jax players that are serious about getting good.

Marsfool, Gage, Gmoney : help?

<3 to all my Jacksonvillains
Quoted for truth. This is a great post here and I think it should apply everywhere. The more serious you take the game, the more likely you are to become a better player at a faster pace. All the tournaments Gainesville hosted at Subscorpion's smashfest were super serious for me. I think one of my largest improvement spurts was during that semester.

The next time you guys come to Gainesville, I'll be more than willing to give you guys all the vs. Doc advice I can give (if I'm still in Gainesville). Some of you don't really need it though. In the meantime, I hope you guys keep Jacksonville melee strong. I saw alot of improvement from you guys the last time we played. :)

Also, if you guys are feeling really serious, Gainesville is having a melee tournament (RAGE) this Saturday (April 16th). The attendance list looks interesting and should be a good tournament. You guys should check it out. :cool:

Hypnotic Disciple

Smash Cadet
Great post and was really inspiring. When I got into the scene, it started out pretty good. Everyone I met had welcomed me into playing this game and never treated me as the newbie I was (SD'ing all the time, spamming F-Smashes for no reason, killing teammates, etc.)

Anyway, I always looked forward to playing because you all to me were good competition and taught me much about the game.

Cody, you were doing combo videos on me with your Fox. You explained much of why you do what you did in your matches against me so I could apply them to my style and it helped me out a lot. You may not realize it but you were the main one to motivate me to increase my technical skill.

Chip, what can I say man, you are a taller version of me because you're so calm when you play, it's as if you were in another world playing this game. All my basic knowledge (shffl'ing, WD's, etc.) and matchup exp. came from you.

The only person that really seemed to make me think when I play was Geoff. I don't know if it was his passion for the game or whatever but before he stopped, I learned the most from him everytime I played with him.

Anyway, I really want to take this game seriously and want to join the ones who are in the same boat. I also noticed that nobody congratulates anyone in any matches anymore. Sometimes, you used to here "good ****" or "great games" or "nice combo/edgeguard" to give the better player props. I don't know where we lost sight of that but to me, that helps me have more fun playing. Not saying you should do this everytime, just incorporate it into your matches a few times lightens up the pressure of playing super competitive to where you're only playing to beat the other player.

Last thing, forget about being number one in Jacksonville. Seriously, it doesn't matter and it will only diminish the scene (or what's left of it) to a turdhole. If we are going to travel, we need our whole city to level up, not just the seasoned veterans. That's how you get on the map.

I'm willing to play any and everyone who wants to play and will drive to any side of town. I have most of your numbers so I'll call as well if available.

Peace.

Sandtru27

Smash Lord
Good posts, but what everyone is saying is what was tried time and time again during the Brawl days and nothing ever changed. I'll be around but it's hard to care when no one travels or even shows any desire. That's the problem.

There's too much goddamn hero worship too (both outward and inner). I don't care if people think they're great and achieve it. The problem is that no one is achieving (except for Jason D. at the moment; good job) and they still have the gall to act like are. It's **** talk and there's not even anything to back it up. If you know what you're worth then go out and get what your worth. Don't fvcking go to a tournament and get ***** and then act like friendlies matter. They don't. No johns. Don't do anything similar to this. It's pathetic.

Jason B., I'm always down to play. You should have my number (if you need it, I'll PM you). Text or call me.

Until something changes, I'll be playing SC2.

-Geoff

edit: A lot of people dislike me or think I'm an "a$$hole." That's fine. Just tell me to my face. I don't see this as important to improving Jax as a scene. Play the fvcking game, get better and travel. Personal differences don't impact those 3 goals negatively.

Sandtru27

Smash Lord
Good games and chilling tonight, Jason.

Tues/Thurs until 7~ usually
don't forget

Gwabs

Smash Apprentice
yo you can come over to me and marsfools apartment today, we might even have a smash til dawn

edit: its not an actual smash til dawn just til like 2-3am

Sandtru27

Smash Lord
can't play tonight; starcraft/other ****

edit: won't be able to make that tourney Awal :(

good luck tho; i saw the last one only had like 7 people

MarsFool!

Smash Lord
Hes amazing, so good hes never outplaced me outside of Jax/ever. Wait that goes for pretty much everyone that Gahtzu kid. I heard he likes getting 7th at locals lol

Sandtru27

Smash Lord
Hes amazing, so good hes never outplaced me outside of Jax/ever. Wait that goes for pretty much everyone that Gahtzu kid. I heard he likes getting 7th at locals lol
lol you raged, threw your controller and almost left the builiding after losing at 1 set and some matches to my luigi and thinking the whole damn thing was over AT A FREE TOURNAMENT WITH NOTHING TO LOSE

to my fvcking :luigi:, bro

don't even fvcking talk about placement; i never gave a **** about placing in melee, nor do i talk **** about the placements i do have and you have no important placements or goals reached in any game

beautiful ad hominem towards everyone; even to the one person left trying

that's real cute

this is why jax is god awful

MarsFool!

Smash Lord
Mad cause you suck? I Still got first ;S also someone I know lost to ian and raged like ***** so shove it up your ***.

Also youre silly. I always place way ahead of any of you no matter where. good thing your opinion means anything scrubby
Please go.back to sitting around alone kk
:phone:

Sandtru27

Smash Lord
lol nice, nice

i'm one alone and begging others to come to my place constantly

oh wait

my opinion must mean something if you're so god damn mad you talk sht behind my back constantly with your snuggle buddy

Sandtru27

Smash Lord
frothing at the mouth dude

going crazy

lol you think i talked sht about you first? that's a fvcking riot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom