• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Japanese Import Thread - Translators needed

ShortFuse

Smash Lord
Um, I was thinking about importing, but I want to ask this:

Is there a FreeLoader for Wii? You know -- the disc that allows you to play imported games. There's ones for every other system...is there plans to make one for Wii? If not, are there any ways I can make my American Wii play Japanese games without Modding it? I don't have money for a Japanese Wii and I don't think my parents would be wild on the idea of me Modding my Wii. Tips would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
No there is not. It's not impossible since the Wii has been hacked to a software level, but I think it's too recent and we won't see any those pressed discs before March.

I'm adding ph00tbag and .Yoshi to the list

CreamPuffDoom

Smash Apprentice
I will be importing the game and getting a Japanese Wii. Now, I will also be able to play Japanese games apart from Brawl in Japanese, like Naruto Shippuuden and Bleach and so fourth.

Hitaku

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RyuujinHitaku
3DS FC
4184-2595-2024
I have a fast question for anyone that has pre ordered, or is pre ordering brawl from Play-Asia.com. I have paid for the fed ex 1-4 day shipping and I was wondering if that means the game will be coming 4 days after the japan release, or if I will be getting it day of. I figure they would have it in stock a little before release like normal stores...if that's the case then I would assume they could ship it before hand.

Anyhow, if anyone has any information that would be great ^^. Thanks in advance.

MAST3R

Smash Apprentice
Im importing it as well, if there is a language switch option will we really need translators?
I'll have vids up the day i get it so if theres not i'll take screens as well for ppl to translate.

Kokichi

Skia Oura
BRoomer
If it looks interesting, I'll offer up a translation (given that I have time). Though, I'll probably be importing my own version, so yeah.

Aeriath

Smash Cadet
I live in Japan as a regular college student and will be getting the game on January 31st (as long as there's a copy in the store after school, i hate them for not releasing this on a weekend). I don't know how to take high quality video but if there are any particular questions about the I can probably answer them after the game is released. My japanese is decent, but not great. However, if a translation is really needed I can get a good one done by my friends.

As far as the guy wanting to know how to learn japanese, the best way is to take classes, and speak it with people. Of coruse coming here is the quickest way to learn, but I suppose as long as you have the oppurnunity to practice often it will be fine. Also, although it is defintiely a tough language, it's doable and if you're dedicated enough you'll do fine though. Don't expect it to be easy, just do your best.

Hideyo

Smash Rookie
Need Help?

I orderd the game a while ago.

If there is any need for asisstance I would be glad to help. :)

My japanese isn't perfect, but I can do a decent job.

Oh, and I'm new, hello everyone.

MAST3R

Smash Apprentice
count on me with the content, i'll be recording just about everything, even all of subspace emissary.
Same here. Maybe someone should make a thread for everyone to post their recorded vids in?
I'll try to make mine highest possible quality, they'll probubly be on youtube and Stage6. (my account name is MarioCenter on YT if anyone wants to subscribe.)

ShortFuse

Smash Lord
Same here. Maybe someone should make a thread for everyone to post their recorded vids in?
I'll try to make mine highest possible quality, they'll probubly be on youtube and Stage6. (my account name is MarioCenter on YT if anyone wants to subscribe.)
That is this thread.

Hitaku

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RyuujinHitaku
3DS FC
4184-2595-2024
So, no one knows when they will realistically be receiving the game with pre order? Is it usually day of, or 1-4 days after.

Omegakyogre

Smash Cadet
I'll be getting Brawl sometime early February, so I can help out, ShortFuse, should you need it. Unfortunately, Japanese looks like scribbles to me (read: Could you tell? I can't understand Japanese :D ), so I can't help translate at all :/

Son Saku

Smash Apprentice
Have no way of recording, I can be just your online Sandbag, if I suck at this game =D.
I'm sorry I can't help, but count me for online matches!

GamerGuitarist7

Smash Champion
someone may have already said this, but i would say that the FIRST thing that you do when you get the japanese brawl is to look for the language setting. it SHOULD have an anglish mode on it. our melee has japanese, and their melee has english, so i don't see why their brawl won't also have an english setting somewhere in the options.

Also, i plan on importing a wii and brawl from japan here very soon. so i MAY be able to help discover ****.

ShortFuse

Smash Lord
someone may have already said this, but i would say that the FIRST thing that you do when you get the japanese brawl is to look for the language setting. it SHOULD have an anglish mode on it. our melee has japanese, and their melee has english, so i don't see why their brawl won't also have an english setting somewhere in the options.

Also, i plan on importing a wii and brawl from japan here very soon. so i MAY be able to help discover ****.
Ar eyou sure? I've asked in the melee forums and I was told JPN version of Melee only has Japanese, no english.

GamerGuitarist7

Smash Champion
i'm pretty sure. my friend bought it in japan, his game cube has a REALLY cool switch on the back that switches its region from japan to english. his melee is the japanese one, and i'm pretty darn sure that he has it set on english (the title screen had the japanese title on it, so i know it wasn't the american one. plus, i saw his little mini-case. i love japanese gamecube game cases)

also (very important) but where is a good site where I can order the japaense brawl and have it delivered like really fast after its release since my Wii should arrive here next week from japan

ShortFuse

Smash Lord
i'm pretty sure. my friend bought it in japan, his game cube has a REALLY cool switch on the back that switches its region from japan to english. his melee is the japanese one, and i'm pretty darn sure that he has it set on english (the title screen had the japanese title on it, so i know it wasn't the american one. plus, i saw his little mini-case. i love japanese gamecube game cases)

also (very important) but where is a good site where I can order the japaense brawl and have it delivered like really fast after its release since my Wii should arrive here next week from japan
that's a region switch mod. it's a hack where you solder a switch to two circuits. basically, that's all the difference there was between a US GameCube and JPN GameCube. It's not sold like that.

GamerGuitarist7

Smash Champion
his was sold like that in japan he told me. seriously, it didn't look like a mod to me when i saw it. i honestly wouldn't be surprised if the ones in japan were sold like that

ShortFuse

Smash Lord
his was sold like that in japan he told me. seriously, it didn't look like a mod to me when i saw it. i honestly wouldn't be surprised if the ones in japan were sold like that
not sold by nintendo like that. i know exactly what you're talking about. whether it was prettied up or not, doesn't mean it's not a hack. google "Gamecube Region Switch Mod" and you'll see what i mean.

GamerGuitarist7

Smash Champion
hm, maybe he bought it on base and that's how the ones there are... i dunno, but either way i'm still pretty sure that his melee did have an english option. but who knows.

anyways, where are you buying your brawl from? i want to know a good trustworthy site that'll have it delivered like asap

Card

Smash Lord
Hey ShortFuse,

Great job again on creating this thread. You are shaping up to be quite the proactive member! I think it is an excellent idea to have this thread created, hopefully it'll become a sticky thread as well by the time of Japanese release.

Anyways add me to the Contributors Team.

I've started up a blog (http://twosidesmash.blogspot.com) (or just click my Signature) which is where I will be posting all of my Import Impressions and Screen shots (no Videos sadly... but I'm sure most of you have that covered!). Have a look at it, you'll see everything you need to know. Hope I can help!

Hitaku

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RyuujinHitaku
3DS FC
4184-2595-2024
So, like many of you I have ordered brawl from playasia.com...I just wanted you all to see this. Not sure if you have checked back recently.

"Please note that due to heavy supply cuts, Play-Asia.com cannot guarantee the shipping date of this preorder item at the moment. A large portion of preorders are likely to ship after the game's original release date some time in February. We deeply apologize for this unexpected inconvenience and will update all customers that have preordered this game on release date."

Now when I ordered Brawl like 3 days ago that wasn't up. Do you think that this will effect all orders after it was posted? Or just all orders in general? I really hope it doesn't get pushed back to far into feb....

RazeveX

Smash Ace
there's update strippers for images and have been... that's pretty much how to do it. also, there's the reset trick to not get the channels. don't worry, i'll have that covered. i've played a few imports w/o putting the mandatory firmware. in other words, workarounds.
I seem to be in pretty much the same boat as you; so as soon as you get brawl workin (if it needs special work), can you post or pm me about what you did?

Also, whats this reset trick not to get the channels? could you elaborate?

If it doesnt work straight up, i'll have to try ripping it to my comp, using brickblocker, and burning it back to dvd.

therealssjlink

Smash Apprentice
WELL....I don't believe the game will need translating (Language Switch), but I'll definitely be posting info, images, and videos...somewhere.

LunaEqualsLuna

Smash Apprentice
My first post here, I've ordered a Japanese wii and smash bros hopefully it will arrive within a week of the release date. I'm from the UK so there is no way in hell was i gonna wait for the ******** European release date.

I wouldn't consider myself fluent to the level of native but i can read most Japanese at a reasonable speed and so i wouldn't mind contributing as a translator to practise translating if for no other reason. Depends how soon i get the game though...

Top Bottom