• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Japanese Import Thread - Translators needed

kashikomarimashita

Smash Journeyman
Off topic but how long did it take you to learn basic japanese? Im thinking of learning? Did you take classes or did it on your own? Where do you suggest I start?
Dude, Japanese is more trouble than its worth. Unless you really want to use it for something more relevant than playing video games I suggest not even bothering. But you could understand quite a bit of game menus and so forth by just learning hiragana and katakana. These are the two basic writing systems that are seperate from kanji. Since most katakana is a transliteration of English words you can get most of it without even needing to have a Japanese vocabulary. But it does take a lot of practice.

Xenesis

Smash Journeyman
See, I just bought a Japanese Wii. It got me a second controller for my Wii and it costs me way less in hassle and not a notable amount more in cash.

So yeah.

Still, I'll be playing my import copy when it arrives.

Xenesis

Smash Journeyman
Haha. Not really.

More the fact that I don't care about piracy very much - I generally prefer to buy my console games, I don't like modchips that much (Can't say I'm very good with a soldering iron) and to be honest having an import console saves all the hassle.

Icetrash

Smash Journeyman
Xenesis... that is pretty hardcore. For me, well I think I can wait an extra 17 days for Brawl.

Xenesis

Smash Journeyman
See, I live in Australia. We don't even have a release date.

I bought a jWii because I didn't want to wait 6 months to a year for games like Fire Emblem or Brawl. And they cost less too if I import. <_<;

If I lived in the US I would have gone 'Eh, whatever. 17 days.'

Wiwiweb

Smash Journeyman
That probably wont happen now, Online play would make it so all variables are the same in both games. Am i correct those tech savy?
Hum, you're right I hadn't thought about online play. I'll still buy a copy anyway, just for the glory of owning Brawl.

jdub03

Smash Journeyman
Dude, Japanese is more trouble than its worth. Unless you really want to use it for something more relevant than playing video games I suggest not even bothering. But you could understand quite a bit of game menus and so forth by just learning hiragana and katakana. These are the two basic writing systems that are seperate from kanji. Since most katakana is a transliteration of English words you can get most of it without even needing to have a Japanese vocabulary. But it does take a lot of practice.

Not really wanting to do it primarily for games. I love japanese culture and want to learn more about it. Basic understanding is all i really want to learn. And thanks for the tips. Ill keep that in mind whenever I decide to start. I might just take classes.

Sagem

Smash Rookie
Im european and I sold my PAL wii and bought an american one to get the games earlier and cheaper. Best choice I've ever made! To bad they delayed Brawl though. :(

CyberBenX4

Smash Apprentice
Well, I'll also be an importer. I primarily got a JP Wii so I can get games like Sengoku BASARA Heroes and other JP-only stuff that stands to come out for it.

So, in essence, that pretty much means I'll be getting Smash X in Japanese. If there's really any need for translation help, spoilers, or just maybe a tally of differences between the versions, I'll be glad to help out in any way I can.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Im european and I sold my PAL wii and bought an american one to get the games earlier and cheaper. Best choice I've ever made! To bad they delayed Brawl though. :(
Hehe why not just get an American version of the game? geting it 4 months earlier doesnt seem like a bad idea.

Or did I miss something, and am babbling about the wrong thing, if so, i apologize :chuckle:

Brawler1432

Smash Lord
Hehe why not just get an American version of the game? geting it 4 months earlier doesnt seem like a bad idea.

Or did I miss something, and am babbling about the wrong thing, if so, i apologize :chuckle:
I'm not sure but i think American Wii ga,es can only be played on American Wiis.

kashikomarimashita

Smash Journeyman
What about online? Can you play online regardless of where the console is. Like playing Brawl online on a Japanese Wii, but while you are in Europe? And if so will it be possible during the games Japanese launch. They probably wont have any servers up elsewhere. ANd if they do youll have to deal with serious lag time.

courte

Smash Lord
if i should find that the japanese version has exclusive characters completely unique to it's version i'm importing on the dot... although i thought the wii was region free or was that the DS??

either way i'm not even 23% but if the american Melee had the option of japanese language mode, wouldn't brawl also have the option, allowing for easy understanding of the early game??

and is it likely that there will be updated versions like in other fighting games ((Ex. you'd buy virtua fighter 5 for the 360 for the most balanced exp.))

Dragon Master Luigi

Smash Apprentice
Im in Japan and Im gettin the game when it comes out. Im all but fluent in Japanese, so Ill probably go ahead and translate some of the stuff while Im bored at work. You know, just to reveal the ins and outs of the game for those who care to know ahead of time. It might help you out some.

Another thing. How easy is it to mod a Wii in the States? Ill have to get mine modded when I go back home one day. So would anyone be so kind as to give me the low down.
AWESOME!!!! I'd like to know the ins and outs!!! Thanks!! Yeah you guys should make a Smash Bros. site with all of the new info you guys get from playing the Import...

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
spoilers are good
Spillers don exits! :grin:

Wow, that is HARDCORE!
Ya, but Australia is screwed. They'll sadly be lucky to get the game in 200, or mid-2009. HONESTLY! Especially with Europe not getting Brawl until like at earliest Julym and Australia always gets their games after Europe.

See, I live in Australia. We don't even have a release date.

I bought a jWii because I didn't want to wait 6 months to a year for games like Fire Emblem or Brawl. And they cost less too if I import. <_<;

If I lived in the US I would have gone 'Eh, whatever. 17 days.'
Seriously, we're so spoiled some times, it's not even funny. O, and good for you.

If I ever get around to being able to make vids, it would be nice to have some webspace to upload 'em... *hint hint*

*hint hint* I make Brawl videos on youtube. I'm sure some people would like some awsome videos. *hint hint* :) O and all you Australians and Europeans, I'd honestly WOULD suggest getting a American Wii, just because you can understand it (it's not a foreign language to English-speaking Europeans, unlike Japanese), and you could get games earlier (if you are willing to go through the hassle, at least). Since you guys get screwed over so badly a lot by Nintendo, which sucks. Nintendo is a pure failure company with release dates, seriously. *points at Kojima's shining example of everyone gets the game at once, everywhere*

Kowz

Smash Journeyman
So yeah.. i'm "acquiring" it. I don't like to not pay for games though (pirating). Though modded, I can get the game sometimes earlier by downloading it but i'm a big fan of video games. I bought 3 copies of Melee. That's how I showed my appreciation. I have two copies of the PS2 version of Soul Calibur and one Cube. If a game is good, I'll buy it, if it's really good, i'll buy it again, just to show my appreciation. I'll probably be getting two copies of Brawl (one at launch and one later). I don't know, maybe it's just my justifying pirating.
I'm going to try to upload videos of gameplay and what not and go through all the character movesets. Everyone's B Moves, A moves, dash dance distances, recovery-tether length, (short) jump height, attack strength. I'm sure the community will appreciate it 2-3 weeks before launch.
Of course, I could just play the game by saying, "oh yeah, Ike is faster, i think, i've never played E4All..." with no videos or anything. But I think it's greater service to the community to share what I can.

And I don't want this focused around me, I'd hope all JPN players can post in the same thread.
Buying copies of games and keeping them for yourself is kind of selfish, I mean what if there's only one copy and someone else wants to buy it, and you already have it?

WeeklyJumpman

Smash Journeyman
So I have my Wii modded and I'm going to import the JPN version and maybe get it...earlier...
Despite talking about the methods, I'm going to try to supply as much video and screenshots as possible. I want to know how many people here can translate Japanese? It seems to be a good sideproject for 3 weeks and will help countdown to USA launch.
JPN launch is Jan 24th, btw.

Content #1:
Translations:
Contributions:

Content #2:
Translations:
Contributions:

Content #3:
Translations:
Contributions:

I think that's how I'm going to arrange it, so as to anybody and pop in and say "on #3, it translates to 'blah blah blah'"
I don't see what really needs to be translated on Brawl as it's a fighting game... but I can do it if you need it. I've been translating Japanese for years.

bastula

Smash Apprentice
NNID
secretanchitman
3DS FC
0130-1885-4238
Switch FC
SW-2373-3239-8999
i can get my friend who is japanese (haha thank the lord from him - wouldnt be able to get through ff1 japanese psx without him) to translate if needed.

gah i wish this game came out already....i want new info so bad!!!

Kiyoru

Smash Cadet
I can translate the Japanese for you.

.. maybe not all of it, but most of it ^^

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
As we both know, my Japanese is minimal, but I'll be more than happy to help in any way that I can! :grin:

CyberBenX4

Smash Apprentice
Any thing and all will just help to do more to help bring the news to the masses, which is what I think we all want in the end.

...Though, being the pioneers does have a nice perk too, doesn't it? :D

In any case...it won't be too much longer now, won't it?

Drack

Smash Apprentice
I also have a modded wii and will be posting info with pics&vids. Japanese Brawl should leak within a few days now.

Also, I know Japanese pretty well.

FoulPlay

Smash Lord
Isnt Sakurai going to make the U.S. version better than the japanese because they get it sooner?
That's idiotic.
That's like saying because Europe (Where I live.) gets it MONTHS later, that we're going to have a FAR FAR better version than any of you, thats completely stupid, why would they change the game that drastically to appologise to the Europeans or Americans? It's ridiculous. Not only would it change the game completely, but the entire competitive scene would be completely screwed up because of it. Nintendo would have the chance to fix glitches and such yes, but they WILL NOT change the ENTIRE game itself to make a few things better. God sake. -.-

okiyama

Smash Ace
That's idiotic.
That's like saying because Europe (Where I live.) gets it MONTHS later, that we're going to have a FAR FAR better version than any of you, thats completely stupid, why would they change the game that drastically to appologise to the Europeans or Americans? It's ridiculous. Not only would it change the game completely, but the entire competitive scene would be completely screwed up because of it. Nintendo would have the chance to fix glitches and such yes, but they WILL NOT change the ENTIRE game itself to make a few things better. God sake. -.-
I think that is all that they meant was like glitches.

If that makes a game better if in the eye of the beholder, I prefer more glitches myself but many would disagree. That is why I made an effort to find a melee V 1.0(I failed) due to the increase in glitches.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
You may have enough people on the translation team already, but I'd be willing to help where I can.

OnyxVulpine

Smash Champion
I can translate like 1 out of every 10 words a sentence in Japanese.. and like 1 out of ten characters in Japanese..

ugh..

-Onyx

Zoolander

Smash Journeyman
Um, I was thinking about importing, but I want to ask this:

Is there a FreeLoader for Wii? You know -- the disc that allows you to play imported games. There's ones for every other system...is there plans to make one for Wii? If not, are there any ways I can make my American Wii play Japanese games without Modding it? I don't have money for a Japanese Wii and I don't think my parents would be wild on the idea of me Modding my Wii. Tips would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Top Bottom