• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

japan

dna.noodle

Smash Rookie
I live in Osaka and would be down for playing SSB4 if anyone is around.

On another note, anyone know anything about the scene out here, either JP or Intl?

Last edited:

15 [イチゴ]

Smash Apprentice
NNID
15_bit
3DS FC
2019-9663-8659
I've been wanting to find some kind of local tournament around here, but google only does you so much good when you search for Japanese Smash 4 tournament. XD

A lot of the old websites I've found that were allegedly related to the Japanese Smash scene are down or no longer hosted.

The only thing I've found so far has been this website:

https://translate.google.com/transl...vent/subscriptions/212636/&edit-text=&act=url

and

This channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpu15uRsvI2opP78cdslj3A/feed

That being said I'm not exactly best person to answer that question. Hopefully someone with greater knowledge than I will respond to answer that for you.

I'll send you my info though!

Last edited:

Renato Tadashi

Smash Rookie
Hello guys ! Im new to the smashboards scene and recently I moved to 松江市 in 島根県 (matsue shi, shimane ken). I'll be staying here in japan until next year's february and I am looking for any locals to play some smash ( specially Melee ). Hope to meet some of you in the near future !

Hey im currently living in tokyo and I've found the best way to find out about events is to get on twitter and ask the top players when those events are! Tweeting in japanese helps, but one player, Ayuha, speaks english so you can tweet him for any information on current tournaments in Japan. I actually managed to go to a Smash 4 tournament called UmeBura 9 a couple weeks back and I was the only foreigner out of 200 entrants but it was great and everyone was friendly.

Umebura 10 (SSB4) is happening in Tokyo in mid/late november as well if youre interested, same amount of people and ill probably be there as an english speaker if that helps..

Luckily I've Managed to play PM and melee at different times too by tweeting the top players and going to the smash fests they've organised! they trashed me but it was really good experience and they are great fun

Last edited:

15 [イチゴ]

Smash Apprentice
NNID
15_bit
3DS FC
2019-9663-8659
That's pretty sweet. That you live near or in Tokyo. Nagoya doesn't seem to have a scene going.

*Please prove me wrong!*

I'd host events myself, but I haven't a clue where a free venue would be besides the English School that I work at. If I did though, it would probably only be little kids that would come. I live in a small town an hour outside Nagoya so that probably doesn't help either.

SuperJeenius

Smash Rookie
Hey im currently living in tokyo and I've found the best way to find out about events is to get on twitter and ask the top players when those events are! Tweeting in japanese helps, but one player, Ayuha, speaks english so you can tweet him for any information on current tournaments in Japan. I actually managed to go to a Smash 4 tournament called UmeBura 9 a couple weeks back and I was the only foreigner out of 200 entrants but it was great and everyone was friendly.

Umebura 10 (SSB4) is happening in Tokyo in mid/late november as well if youre interested, same amount of people and ill probably be there as an english speaker if that helps..

Luckily I've Managed to play PM and melee at different times too by tweeting the top players and going to the smash fests they've organised! they trashed me but it was really good experience and they are great fun
Do you have a website for Umebura 10 and/or know where it will be held? I'd love to go, I live in Tokyo (well Kawasaki, but close enough) and I'm looking for events to be able to go to. Thanks!

15 [イチゴ]

Smash Apprentice
NNID
15_bit
3DS FC
2019-9663-8659
What I want to know is where they have the Umebura tournaments. Like what kind of place. A culture center?

I'm not sure if the event page is up yet! They've only recently announced it. Yeah Last time it was at edogawa culture centre iirc. This time I'm pretty sure its another similar venue nearby.

Ill look and see if there's a page yet, but once I see the event/application page is up I'll post it on here for sure!

EDIT : Here's the site and as i thought theres no event page for umebura 10 yet sorry! http://piosuma.blog.jp/

Last edited:

bEATTY.

Smash Rookie
I just moved to Tokyo and will be staying here at least until the end of January. Im over off of Monzen-Nakacho in Koto-ku. (just east of tokyo station) If anyone would be kind enough to meet up with me or show me the scene here please message me.

I play Melee and Project M and have both games + a wii with me. I really dont know that many people here in the area and i love to smash. I will definitely be attending the Umebura tournament.

15 [イチゴ]

Smash Apprentice
NNID
15_bit
3DS FC
2019-9663-8659
O.o; DAFUQ! Are there any top players near Nagoya?

How did you find these people?
Did you meet them at the last umebura and keep in touch since?
What's the best resource for stalking I mean meeting Japanese people who want to play Smash?

I'm planning on hosting a tournament in my city, but I'm super afraid no one will show up aside from a few foreigner friends.

Teach me Okameed senpaizuri! ;)
*puffpuff* >( o )^.^( o )< *raburabu*

Oh and on a separate note: Has anyone had issues using the New Nintendo 3DS with Leo Palace internet? I miss being able to use the bigger screen of my 3DS LL online after I replaced it with the new one.

Last edited:
I didn't meet any of them at Umebura! I just tweeted them and told them i wanted to play PM and they said okay well we're meeting on this date etc. . From going to that I got to know kaito-san (who's like one of the top 3 at PM in Japan) who messaged me to come to his house where we played haha. Turns out he's a great guy and even got me a birthday cake!

Everyone is really friendly but to go to these smashfests you really need japanese language knowledge cause nobody speaks english.

Umebura is fine though as a streamer and TO called Ayuha speaks fluent english!

Twitter is the way! I can give a few of the twitter handles if people dont wanna just find them?

I have no idea really where the top players are but i can ask kaito if there are..

Last edited:

15 [イチゴ]

Smash Apprentice
NNID
15_bit
3DS FC
2019-9663-8659
I gave Amsa a shout out. Maybe that'll lead to something. Changed my twitter to match my smash name too.

Puttin' on mai biggu boi pantsu! Awww yeah!

Last edited:

15 [イチゴ]

Smash Apprentice
NNID
15_bit
3DS FC
2019-9663-8659
Hopefully they'll post a time frame soon so I can schedule a bus to ride out there in time. I do have classes to teach the day before so here's hoping they don't start too early in the morning!

Zakosai

Smash Apprentice
Hey Okameed, do they play melee/PM at that event?

On a side note, me and a friend live near Tachikawa and we can host/travel for smash

No its just smash 4 sadly.
and they just posted the event ! piosuma.blog.jp/archives/16351798.html
For those that can;t read it..
Tournament is on the 23rd of nov and sign ups start on the 11th from 10pm. The spots go really quick so make sure you sign up early or you'll be waiting for people to drop out ( which does happen with such a large number).
Also entry is 1000円 which you pay on the day from 9:30 - 10am after which the tournament starts

The location is 市川文化会館 (Ichikawa Cultural Centre) and a link to it on google maps is posted on the site.

Hope to see you there

Also Zakosai I live next to hitotsubashigakuen station which is about 20 minutes from tachikawa. Always up for playing PM/Melee and S4 when wii u one comes out

Last edited:

mastr0fmyd0main3

Smash Journeyman
Oukameed, does it seem like there is a big melee scene in Tokyo? My Japanese still isn't great...

I only play melee, and I'm teaching English with the JET program in Gunma prefecture, my city being about a 2.5 hour train ride from Tokyo. I'm definitely looking for melee fests and tournaments, especially on the weekends.

My phone number here is 08078473177 if anyone wants add me on LINE. That might be better for arranging a fest or something.

mastr0fmyd0main3

Smash Journeyman
I just moved to Tokyo and will be staying here at least until the end of January. Im over off of Monzen-Nakacho in Koto-ku. (just east of tokyo station) If anyone would be kind enough to meet up with me or show me the scene here please message me.

I play Melee and Project M and have both games + a wii with me. I really dont know that many people here in the area and i love to smash. I will definitely be attending the Umebura tournament.
bEATTY, let me know if you want to fest some weekend. I'd be down to take a train to tokyo. what's your phone number?

There isnt a big one, however Flash, the #1 japanese player lives very close to me and has fests. He's in america right now entering a Norcal tournament. I've been to his before and it was a pretty decent turnout of 8 or so people playing all day etc. Messaged him recently to ask when a date would be good to play and he said we can definitely do something when he's back. Ill post on here then. would definitely be worth coming down for some serious playing with the japan #1. I'd be there too to help translate if you're worried about that.

15 [イチゴ]

Smash Apprentice
NNID
15_bit
3DS FC
2019-9663-8659
I highly suggest putting the page in google translate: https://translate.googleusercontent...8.html&usg=ALkJrhi7hQWijXWiW1qJCIaoCK9btod5IQ

lol "Join those who want to thank you..."

I'M COMING FOR THE THANK YOUS!

To be serious, I'm not 100% sure I'll go because it's going to be really expensive and I may not get registered in time. Hopefully the registration process isn't too much of a pain when it opens up on the 11th.

Last edited:

mastr0fmyd0main3

Smash Journeyman
There isnt a big one, however Flash, the #1 japanese player lives very close to me and has fests. He's in america right now entering a Norcal tournament. I've been to his before and it was a pretty decent turnout of 8 or so people playing all day etc. Messaged him recently to ask when a date would be good to play and he said we can definitely do something when he's back. Ill post on here then. would definitely be worth coming down for some serious playing with the japan #1. I'd be there too to help translate if you're worried about that.
Sweet! Yeah, definitely let me know what you find out! Playing smash with good people all day sounds awesome. It'd be awesome if you were there for some translating, too.

I guess I don't care if the scene isn't huge, as long as there is good competition. I used to be ranked 3rd in Minnesota, U.S., for what that's worth.

Whereabouts do you live again? In Tokyo?

Last edited:

15 [イチゴ]

Smash Apprentice
NNID
15_bit
3DS FC
2019-9663-8659
I signed up now I feel obligated to go. I do fear getting eliminated in the first two rounds and having nothing to do for the rest of the day. It looked like they had a no loitering rule somewhere in that mess of text after all.

When you went last time @Okameed was there more stuff to do beside from the 3DS tourney itself? Do you think they'll have an American Wii U with Smash U on it for playing?

I'm curious how much of a difference the 1.0.4 balance update kotaku teased will have on this tourney if at all. >>> http://kotaku.com/new-super-smash-bros-3ds-patch-will-address-balance-is-1657240044 Allegedly there is one on the way.

I haven't found a bus yet though, so this may all be in vain when I realize there's no way for me to work Saturday evening and get there Sunday Morning.

Last edited:
Nice man! See you there hopefully.

The first part of the day was a load of 1 game sets in a pool to determine seeding. So I played about 5 games then there was a break. After that it went into a double elim bracket in which i lost both games (tbf the game was only out for a week in the UK compared to a month there but I'm not too great anyway). There is a big projector showing the top players games/stream and a good vibe. Also there a lot of people doing friendlies during the event in both the main room and the side room.

I doubt there will be smash Wii U this time although from the next one its most likely to be a Wii U tournament. It seemed very focused on the 3DS version with nothing else.

Overall though it was good fun and I hopefully can do better this time now ive had a good amount of time playing

bEATTY.

Smash Rookie
Hola everyone! my number is +18649797469 if you want to add me on Line. I have a good bit of free time so I am always up for a day of smashing. It would a bit difficult to host people though, as I live in an extremely small efficiency apartment for the time being. Anyone is welcome to add me, this would hopefully make planning a get together much easier. I hope to meet some fellow smashers soon!

ソチャラ「Sóchara 」

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AllahuAkbar
3DS FC
0061-0828-3959
I'm gonna be at Sophia University in Tokyo next semester for study abroad and really hoping to train smash there and bring some added skill back stateside. Hopefully things are still going on when I get out there in March.

Last edited:

15 [イチゴ]

Smash Apprentice
NNID
15_bit
3DS FC
2019-9663-8659
I ended up cancelling. :sadsheep:

I'm gonna rain check on Umebura. Best of luck in the Tourney all you guys/gals who are going!

Last edited:

mastr0fmyd0main3

Smash Journeyman
Hola everyone! my number is +18649797469 if you want to add me on Line. I have a good bit of free time so I am always up for a day of smashing. It would a bit difficult to host people though, as I live in an extremely small efficiency apartment for the time being. Anyone is welcome to add me, this would hopefully make planning a get together much easier. I hope to meet some fellow smashers soon!
Hey man, what's your LINE ID? I saved your phone number in my phone but I'm not sure I can add you on LINE through that...let me know. My LINE ID is mikesan529. And my phone number is 08078473177. Anyone else feel free to add me. We should make a LINE group or something and arrange a fest.

Again, if anyone wants to play Melee, I live about 2.5 hours northwest of Tokyo by train in Numata city, Gunma prefecture. I'm moving to Takasaki, Gunma (the largest city in Gunma prefecture), in a couple of weeks, and that will be less then 2 hours from Tokyo.

Weekends are best for me to play, although if someone lives closer to me than Tokyo, a weeknight would work.

Who around Tokyo has a wii/gamecube and a copy of melee? I don't have anything except a controller and a small CRT (which, without a car, is pretty useless unless people come to my place).

Last edited:

bEATTY.

Smash Rookie
My Line user is is beatty...
So it actually has three periods in it (beatty...) Please feel free to add me and we can smash in Tokyo!

I have a Wii, two gamecube controllers, Melee, Brawl, and Project M 3.5 with me, basically all the goods. Im just missing a CRT, just have a small lcd that came with my apartment

Last edited:

kinouu_japan

Smash Rookie
Hello Everybody :)

I just start a conversation with few of you guys, but I will reply to this topic in case there is other people who want to play together maybe in Tokyo !
I am happy that there is few persons there !!

To introduce myself a little bit, I am living in Tokyo ( precisely in Kawasaki, but very close part to Tokyo )
25yo, French guy.... ( but don't worry I come in peace haha ! )
I played Smash Since N64... even tho I barely played the Brawl version, I decided to come back on the scene with my low level on Smash 3DS and maybe Wii U ( I don't have any Wii U yet .... )

If you are interested guys, we could arrange some fest over there ?
I happened to know (since Melee) Captain Jack ( without mistake it was a top player of Sheik!) I never had his level at Melee and for sure at Smash 3DS neither, very low bellow, but I could try to organiwe a fest with him as well.

Waiting for your replies, on this topic or in conversation provately as well.
But I would love to enter inside the community of Smash in Tokyo ( even If I speak japanese... sometimes it is better to meet with few Gaijins )

Have a great day !

Okay big update melee people!! Melee tournament in Tokyo on the 14th of December with all the top players attending (Flash,aMSa,Gucci etc), which is also and Apex qualifier which is pretty hype. Signing up is super easy and the deadline is on the 7th of December. Sign up is super easy too its partly in english and there's barely any boxes to fill in.

http://battlegateway.com/6thtaikai.html To sign up scroll to near the bottom and fill in the first google sheet, Only the first and second boxes are necessary (Tag & email address).

I've signed up so I hope to see some of you there!

mastr0fmyd0main3

Smash Journeyman
Sick! I'll definitely go.

EDIT: teaming with Beatty--nubs beware.

Seems the tournament starts at 9am on Sunday, December 14th...since I'm more than 3 hours from the venue, would anyone who is closer be willing to house me on Saturday night (December 13th)?

Last edited:
I've been speaking briefly with the TO and he said doors open at 9 for free play and attendance confirmation but it starts from 10. I would house you dude but im a uni dorm with a no overnight guests rule! annoying but can't be helped. Look forward to seeing you there hopefully!

kinouu_japan

Smash Rookie
Hello !!
Thank you 15Ichigo !!

I would love to participate but the link you sent is not anymore available >_<

Top Bottom