• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Japan Smash Climbers

Barge

All I want is a custom title
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zs3mWGGa-SE

Now, I have no idea if Domo is a good ice climber user in japan, but he plays really aggressively, like almost all high level players in Japan.

It seems that he never used any chain grabs, and when he did grab he usually just had nana jab/ftilt his opponent out of it. And he didn't use many desyncs as I saw from the video. And of course saved all of his kill moves until they were at a relatively high percentage.

Is there anything we can learn from this aggressive play style without chaingrabs? :ohwell:

lain

Smash Master
IMHO nothing can be learned from that. That's not how IC's should be played, plain and simple.

Just my thoughts.

ignore the fire

Smash Journeyman
He may have been that aggressive because he didn't want to get ***** with bananas.
Overall, though, I'm not too impressed. I honestly think they can learn from us. xD

rgrwilco

Smash Apprentice
haha, you cant always under estimate the ****, <3

and iono they have some crazy techs and i dont knwo if its impressive but to be like a arms inch away from diddy and grab his bananas and predct that **** its pretty sweet

ohhh and to play liek that without grabs the U.S players cant do that =) you should learn from them

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
i remember watching domo vids back in melee... i liked him more than chu actually. he was the best ICin japan... i don't know about now, but back then he was **** in ice!

edit:

*watches vid*

ok, he's still my ic god. <33 (in a purely heterosexual way)

ignore the fire

Smash Journeyman
He actually did have some impressive moves.
At the beginning he landed a perfectly angled-up ftilt.
Good stuff with the bananas, too.
It just doesn't make sense that as the ICs you can take AN ENTIRE STOCK with only one grab, and he's supposedly good, yet isn't able to do this.
Just because he plays differently and without grabs doesn't necessarily make him better.

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
Playing ICs without chaingrabs does not make you better. It's you playing with a handicap. >__>

Teh Future

Smash Master
Grabbing and not CGing till death makes no sense. It's completely illogical, it's not a new style.
well does anyone know if CGs are banned in Japan? Im guessing not, but still if you can't cg to death then it is better than to just rack up as much damage as possible.

Just because He doesn't Chaingrab doesn't mean everything else hes doing is bad.

Look at melee 1, hes not that good at Chainthrows and has some of the best tournement placings out there with ice climbers.

ignore the fire

Smash Journeyman
well does anyone know if CGs are banned in Japan? Im guessing not, but still if you can't cg to death then it is better than to just rack up as much damage as possible.

Just because He doesn't Chaingrab doesn't mean everything else hes doing is bad.

Look at melee 1, hes not that good at Chainthrows and has some of the best tournement placings out there with ice climbers.
I don't think they're banned, because I watched another video of Japanese ICs posted by the same guy, and they did CG to spike every time.

And it only makes sense to learn CGs if you play as ICs.
Why WOULDN'T you learn how to take a stock from a single grab...?

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero

exactly. you can't just push him off because he doesn't play like you do. you guys need to have an open mind when watching him. just because he doesn't pull a lame *** move like 0-death doesn't mean he's any less amazing as an IC.

And it only makes sense to learn CGs if you play as ICs.
Why WOULDN'T you learn how to take a stock from a single grab...?
uh.... hello?

*P*L*U*R*

Smash Hero
Jabbing and Ftilting people out of grabs makes no sense at all. Chain/Altgrabs aside there are more damaging options out of grabs.

Still, outside of him not using IC's fullest potential, I'd say he has some pretty good moves.

He played a flashy, desynch-heavy IC back in Melee. I didn't expect much to change.

EverAlert

Smash Master
NNID
EVAL89
3DS FC
2664-2214-3431
His style can definitely help us improve our solo game, but in terms of overall Icies play, I'm going to have to agree with those saying it's just silly to not CG when CGs are our greatest killing options.

meepxzero

Smash Master
i really dont mind him not cging, but where is the desynching? I find ice climbers desynching game more broken than cging. I use to play like that with ice climbers in brawl and it didnt take me far. If he played a really good olimar or snake he would get *****, playing like that against diddy is fine tho.

JustNoOne

Smash Lord
Well that's pretty cool! He was like no CGing :3

IMHO, he was playing very well without CGs, but as all IC mainers know, CGs is a star part of our game, he could have done much better if he used CGs. or at least implement them with some of his gameplay, or even go for a stage spike if even so.

Overall he's pretty good without CGs.

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
i really dont mind him not cging, but where is the desynching? I find ice climbers desynching game more broken than cging. I use to play like that with ice climbers in brawl and it didnt take me far. If he played a really good olimar or snake he would get *****, playing like that against diddy is fine tho.
watch the other vids i posted. especially the melee vid at the top of this page.

ignore the fire

Smash Journeyman
I give him props for being good without CGs, but it just doesn't make sense.
He would be SO much better off with them.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
I liked the way he used nairs, dash attacks, and ftilt. Sure, he's dumb from the grabs, but it's wrong to say you can't learn anything from him. You can learn anything from any video if you watch with an open mind.

Barge

All I want is a custom title
I liked the way he used nairs, dash attacks, and ftilt. Sure, he's dumb from the grabs, but it's wrong to say you can't learn anything from him. You can learn anything from any video if you watch with an open mind.
Is it just me or did you lose 5000 posts o_o

Snare

Smash Lord
liked his playing style, obviously he doesn't use his grabs as well as he should, but i have a feeling he's going to have a great sopo and might come up with some sick desync stuff if he starts doing anything like he did in the melee video

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
To me he just seems like a smart player with a good understanding of the game... who isn't good with Ice Climbers. It looks like he knows what he's doing, just not with ICs.

Top Bottom