• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Jan. 29 -- Birmingham, AL -- Vulcan GameBox Smash Tournament VII

GeorgeTHPS

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GeorgeThePlushie
3DS FC
1676-3689-8314
LIVESTREAM

AllisBrawl Link -- Please click "I am attending this tournament" if you plan to come.

$5 door fee - waived when you bring a full setup (TV + GC/Wii with Melee and/or Brawl)
$10 singles
$10 doubles ($5 per person)
$2 Super Special Awesome Secret Side Event

Payouts
Tournament cash prizes will be paid out to the top three entrants for each event following a 60/30/10 scale based on the pot size for that event.

Tentative schedule:
10:00 AM - Doors open, friendlies
11:00 AM - Doubles registration starts
12:15 PM - Brawl Doubles start
12:30 PM - Melee Doubles start
2:00 PM - Singles Registration starts
2:30 PM - Brawl and Melee Singles start
4:00 PM - Super Special Awesome Secret Side Event

Tardiness will not be tolerated. I don't care if you're Mew2King; if you're late, you won't be entering. Allow yourself 15-30 minutes before your event starts. Not only will you be doing yourself a favor, but the earlier you arrive and register, the sooner the tournament can start running.

We need setups! Setups really are the best way to ensure a tournament runs efficiently and smoothly, so it'd be amazing if everyone went the extra mile for setups. I've seen you guys pull through before, and I'd love to see it again.

Directions
Google Maps Link
701 Doug Baker Blvd
Birmingham, AL
Phone: (205)991-4475

Once you turn onto Doug Baker Blvd, turn in towards Hobby Lobby or the BBVA Compass Bank. Follow the road all way down to the Rave movie theater. GameBox will be on the left if you're facing towards the theater.

GeorgeTHPS

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GeorgeThePlushie
3DS FC
1676-3689-8314
Rules and Regulations

Bring Your Own Controller

Pools will be done first if neccessary, followed by brackets. Both singles and doubles brackets will be double elimination.

Pool and Bracket matches will be best of 3 games; Winner's, Loser's, and Grand Finals will be best of 5.

Wireless controllers are frowned upon. You may use these controllers if you desire, but it is imperative that you make sure your controller doesn't interfere with anyone's game. This means Wavebird users make sure no one else uses their channel, and Wii remote users remove the batteries from their Wii remotes when not in use. Failure to do so will result in penalization at the tournament director's discretion.

Controller mods of ANY kind (short-hop mod, L-trigger mod, etc), except for cosmetic changes (paint job, different colored plastic), are banned.

Removal of the springs in the L&R buttons for GameCube controllers is allowed for Brawl as it is merely down to the player's preference.

Turbo or programmed buttons of any kind are banned. You may use third party controllers or pads that have these features, but if you are suspected of using the banned features you will not be allowed to use that controller any longer.

In the event of a Console or TV malfunction that renders continuing the game impossible, the game we be replayed from the beginning.

Concerning hacks, I know a lot of you love custom textures and music. However, I want to restrict any Brawl cheat codes to just Infinite Replays and Tags in Saved Replays. Also, please do not use burned copies of the games or USB HDD Loaders. These do affect load times, especially with Zelda/Sheik Down B and Castle Siege, so it's just a better idea to go the legitimate way. I'll have an SD card you can use if you want to load Infinite Replays.

Brawl Rules

General Rules
3 Stock
8 minute timer
Items are set to "off" and "none"

* If the timer runs out, the victor is determined first by stock and then by percentage.

* Resolving Ties: If percents are the same or both players die simultaneously, there will be a 1 stock, 3 minute, same characters, same stage rematch.

* Controller ports will be selected by Mr. Game & Watch's forward B. The player who gets the highest number will be allowed to select their port first.

* You are responsible for your own controller and name tag. Any malfunctions or errors that occur are your responsibility, so bring an extra controller if possible and always check to make sure you're using the correct settings BEFORE a match is played. If a match is to be restarted due to controller functions, it must be agreed upon by both parties.

* Extending Meta Knight's Dimensional Cape by leaving the ground and returning to it while invisible is banned. (For example, flicking the C-Stick up while holding down on the control stick during the move will cause this to happen.)

* Stalling is banned.

* Any action which prevents the game from continuing (i.e. by causing the game to crash or causing all characters to freeze indefinitely) is banned. Players are expected to know their characters and prevent this from happening.

* Some interactions (for example, a throw with a wind attack) can cause one character to become frozen until being hit. If this happens, the free character is expected to capitalize on this in a timely manner; a failure to do so is stalling.

* Port slob picks: On a player's counterpick, that player may opt to redo the port selection process with that player or team picking their port first.

* Color Blind Rule: In team games, it may be requested that certain characters be assigned a specific team color in order to prevent any unnecessary confusion. For instance, Sonic, Lucario, or Falco may be requested to be assigned the blue team color.

Set Format
1. Opponents make their character select screen choices for the first match. Double blind character picks may be called by either player if desired.

2. Opponents start the stage striking procedure.
When reading this order, “1” is player 1 and “2” is player 2.

1-1-2-2-2-1

3. Each player may announce one stage to be banned for counterpicks of the set.

4. The first game is played, using the stage chosen during step 2.

5. The loser of the previous match announces the next match's stage from either the Starter Stage List or the Counter Stage List.

6. The winner of the previous match chooses their character.

7. The loser of the previous match chooses their character.

8. Repeat steps 5-7 for all proceeding matches.

**No player may choose a stage they have already won on in that set unless agreed upon by both players.

Additional rules for Doubles play
Team Attack must be set to ON.
Sharing stocks is allowed.

The controller ports will be determined in a 1221 fashion; whoever wins the Game & Watch foward B challenge will choose first, then the opposing team will get their ports, and then the teammate of the winner will get the last port.

If the clock expires in a team match and the total number of stocks of each team is equal, use the sum of the final percentage of players on each team as the tiebreaker; whichever team has a lower sum wins. (A player who has been eliminated has no stocks and 0%).

In team play, causing both characters of a team to become frozen (i.e. by interrupting a throw with a wind attack) is to be treated the same way as freezing the opponent in singles. Leaving only one of your opponent's characters frozen is legal since the teammate can work to undo the freeze.

Stages
Starter Stages
* Battlefield
* Yoshi's Island
* Smashville
* Lylat Cruise
* Pokémon Stadium
* Final Destination
* Castle Siege

Counter-pick Stages
* Delfino Plaza
* Battleship Halberd
* Frigate Orpheon
* Brinstar
* Pictochat
* Rainbow Cruise
* Pokémon Stadium 2

Banned Stages
* Jungle Japes
* Norfair
* Distant Planet
* Port Town Aero Dive
* Yoshi's Island (Melee)
* Luigi's Mansion
* Pirate Ship
* Green Greens
* Mushroomy Kingdom 1
* Mushroomy Kingdom 2
* Mario Circuit
* Rumble Falls
* Bridge of Eldin
* Spear Pillar
* Wario Ware
* New Pork City
* Summit
* Skyworld
* 75m
* Mario Bros.
* Flat Zone 2
* Hanenbow
* Shadow Moses Island
* Green Hill Zone
* Temple
* Onett
* Corneria
* Big Blue

Melee Rules

General Rules
4 Stock
8 minute timer
Items are set to "off" and "none"

* If the timer runs out, the victor is determined first by stock and then by percentage.

* Stalling is banned.

* Wobbling is banned.

* Any action which prevents the game from continuing (i.e. by causing the game to crash or causing all characters to freeze indefinitely) is banned. Players are expected to know their characters and prevent this from happening.

Set Format
1. Opponents make their character select screen choices for the first match. Double blind character picks may be called by either player if desired.

2. Opponents start the stage striking procedure.
When reading this order, “1” is player 1 and “2” is player 2.

1-2-2-1

3. Each player may announce one stage to be banned for counterpicks of the set.

4. The first game is played, using the stage chosen during step 2.

5. The loser of the previous match announces the next match's stage from either the Starter Stage List or the Counter Stage List.

6. The winner of the previous match chooses their character.

7. The loser of the previous match chooses their character.

8. Repeat steps 5-7 for all proceeding matches.

**No player may choose a stage they have already won on in that set unless agreed upon by both players.

Additional rules for Doubles play
Team Attack must be set to ON.
Sharing stocks is allowed.

If the clock expires in a team match and the total number of stocks of each team is equal, use the sum of the final percentage of players on each team as the tiebreaker; whichever team has a lower sum wins. (A player who has been eliminated has no stocks and 0%).

Stages
Singles
Starter Stages
* Battlefield
* Final Destination
* Yoshi's Story
* Fountain of Dreams
* Dreamland 64

Banned Stages
* Yoshi's Island (Pipes)
* Fourside
* Hyrule Temple
* Flatzone
* Brinstar Depths
* Icicle Mountain
* Big Blue
* Mushroom Kingdom 1
* Yoshi's Island 64
* Peach's Castle
* Onett
* Great Bay
* Green Greens

Doubles
Starter Stages
* Battlefield
* Final Destination
* Yoshi's Story
* Pokémon Stadium 1
* Dreamland 64

Banned Stages
* Yoshi's Island (Pipes)
* Fourside
* Hyrule Temple
* Flatzone
* Brinstar Depths
* Icicle Mountain
* Big Blue
* Mushroom Kingdom 1
* Yoshi's Island 64
* Peach's Castle
* Onett
* Great Bay
* Green Greens
* Fountain of Dreams
* Mute City

Any stage that isn't banned can be used as a counterpick.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
George, offer stands. Mobile will swap you a roadtrip if BHam will come to our tourney on the 22nd.

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
who wants to team?
i really want there to be a good doubles tournament in AL.

ragnarock

Smash Lord
Im not going to use Mk. I play with like almost a dozen other characters and they all are pretty decent. Ask Ryker. If you use MK, ima use snake.

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
Im not going to use Mk. I play with like almost a dozen other characters and they all are pretty decent. Ask Ryker. If you use MK, ima use snake.
sweet well i can go mk or ddd and thagts about it.
who would you go if i went d3?

ragnarock

Smash Lord
Mk or Wario, its just MK n MK r a great team. Top 7 in my opinion, but not the best. But if things get bad we might have to try it.

Zonderion

Smash Ace
NNID
Zonderion
Sounds like a blast! We need more tourneys like this. Unfortunately, I will probably have to work until about 12pm. I might be able to make it for the singles. Just depends on how work goes.

LlamaSensei

Smash Ace
Oh! I wanna go! Well if I can get housing in Mississippi or Alabama the night before. This is a long drive to pull off in one morning!

So anyone wanna house 1 (maybe up to 3) Tennessean Brawlers?

And if I come I'm bringing SSB64....

LlamaSensei

Smash Ace
4 people from Tennessee for sure.

Talon
Wolfei
Sudomaru
Myself

Any chance on housing Friday night to avoid driving at 5 AM Saturday morning?

ragnarock

Smash Lord
Hey kola, ive been trying to have a pocket marth. Ima need some tips from you when i see you.

ragnarock

Smash Lord
Cool, I've picked up a new character i wanted to try out. I hope they will be half way decent when we play

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I don't know if I said it, but I'm definitely coming to this, now that I don't have a ride to Viridian City 9. I'll bring a full set-up.

Winnar

Smash Lord
Oh yeah I guess I forgot to mention I'll bring a full setup to this

Is it cool if I also bring another for melee?

Top Bottom