• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Jan 20, 2015] Smash @ Packrat (Hilliard, OH)

SoulPech

Smash Master

Hi guys. My name is Colten (SoulPech) and I'm one of the TOs in Central Ohio. We're rapidly expanding in Columbus and we decided to put our skills to the test. Do you have what it takes? Do you want to chill and have fun? YOU SHOULD COME!

***IMPORTANT UPDATES***

1) The venue has relocated to Packrat Comics. They are a great venue that is willing to support us! They are a card shop that also sells figurines, comic books, board games etc. You can check them out here:

http://packratcomics.com/

2) There is no longer a cap now that we have our own space! Keep in mind that we can still play at Donatos for normal friendlies, but the actual tourney weeks are gonna be moved here

http://www.jotform.us/AlfaStryke/sap6

http://smashatpackrat.challonge.com/sap6

WHEN:
Bi-Weekly see title for date

WHERE:
Packrat Comics
3864 Lattimer St, Hilliard, OH 43026. It's in a pocket area with a pizza place (which is amazing) and a bar. It is near Walgreens on the opposite side.

FOOD:
There is no food served at the venue, but there are some other places to get food, like pizza and fast food joints in driving distance. You can also pick up drinks at the nearest UDF (like half mile away)

PARKING INFO:
There is plenty of parking in front of the building. You can drive to the back of the building to load/unload. You can park literally inches away from the door (find the door labeled 3862). once you do please park in the front or in the parking lot behind the building to allow other people to use the loading area.

PRICE:
$2 Venue Fee
$5 Project M singles

WHY IS THERE A VENUE FEE: Because we are a growing community, there is concerns about running up the venue's electricity. The $2 will go towards that.

SCHEDULE: (Note that this is the tentative schedule!)
6:00pm - Friendlies and Fun
8:00pm - PM Singles Bracket Begins
12:00am- Closing up shop

PAYOUTS:
Singles < 32:

1) 60%
2) 30%
3) 10%

Singles > 32:

1) 55%
2) 30%
3) 10%
4) 5%

HOW TO REGISTER:
You can pretty much register anytime you get to the venue. We also have a facebook group here if you want to become part of the group! @ AlfaStryke AlfaStryke Is also co running this tournament as well, but if anything changes I'll notate it in the thread.

PM RULESET:

***** PM RULESET ****

All Setups must run Version 3.5
General Rules:

• Game Settings: 4 Stocks, 8 Minute Time Limit, Best of 3 Games. Finals are Best of 5.
  • Items are disabled.
  • Input buffer is disabled
  • All chain grabs are legal
  • Pause option is set on hold
  • You may not choose the last stage you have won on during a set, unless agreed by both players.
  • If time runs outs, the tie is determined by most stocks, and then if still tied, by percentage. If percentage is tied, a 1 stock, 3 minute match is played.
  • Playing as Giga Bowser is banned
  • Pool Positions are determined the following order: Set wins, Game wins, Head to Head

Doubles Rules
  • Team Attack enabled
  • Sharing stocks is allowed

Stage List

Neutral Stages
Dreamland
Smashville
Battlefield
Fountain of Dreams
Pokemon Stadium 2

Counter-Pick Stages
Final Destination
Greenhill Zone
Yoshi's Story

Match Procedure
  1. Players select their characters. Either player may choose to Blind Pick. In this case, each player secretly tells a third player their character before picking with the third player verifying their selections.
  2. Play Rock-Paper-Scissors. Winner chooses between selecting controller port or second Stage Strike
  3. Players take turns removing stages from the Neutral Stages list above based upon the results of the previous rule. The first player to strike removes one(1) stage from the list, the second player removes two(2), the first player removes one(1).
  4. he players play the first match of the set
  5. Winning player of the preceding match bans two stages from the full list of stages, both Neutral and Counter-Pick. - Does not apply to Best of 5 sets.
  6. The Losing player of the preceding match picks a stage for the next match. Cannot choose the stage banned in the previous step, nor a stage they've already won on during this set, unless agreed.
  7. The winning player of the preceding match may choose to change characters.
  8. The losing player of the preceding match may choose to change characters.
  9. The losing player of the preceding match may change their controller port.
  10. The next match is played
  11. Repeat Steps 5 through 10 for all subsequent matches until the set is complete.

NOTE: SETUPS ARE IMPORTANT FOR EVERY TOURNAMENT! IT'S BETTER TO HAVE TOO MANY SETUPS RATHER THAN NOT HAVING ENOUGH! MORE SETUPS = MORE FRIENDLIES = MORE MMs = SUCCESSFUL TOURNEYS! THERE SO MUCH I CAN DO SO ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED :3

Last edited:

Carls493

Smash Ace
NNID
Carls493
3DS FC
5000-2571-4495
I might be able to show up to this, but I'm trying to get that day off from work for something family-related.

SuperNAC

Smash Rookie
Is this new to 2014 or was this a thing last year? It's right by my apartment for the school year so I'll be coming if it persists throughout the year

Master WGS

Smash Lord
Well, since there isn't much Melee it isn't really 20XX. In fact, the few Melee players who do show up rarely play Fox from my recollection...

SoulPech

Smash Master
First off,

We had 32 ENTRANTS (all columbus) for the tournament. We ran this tournament on 5 setups and took 3 hours to get done, which is actually not bad. We did had a weird malfunction w/ the bracket (computer decided to derp) and couldn't recover the original tournament, but we jimmy-rigged it.

If you had fun, I am glad you did. If you didn't or had any issues, please bring it to my attention so that we can be aware and make it better next time.

With that said, here are the results for Fight Night Round 2:

1. Drephen $30
2. Carls $20
3. SoulPech $10
4. Suyon $2
5. Papa
5. Shenanagans
7. Ola
7. Dad

There are two Fathers in this top 8. Lel.

No TIO file since it was corrupted.

Master WGS

Smash Lord
Had a blast, though I'm salty for BOTH my bracket losses this go-around (I'm coming for you @ SoulPech SoulPech and @Ola )! Hope we can save the bracket next time so I can look back on who I beat/lost to years from now.

.Rance.

Smash Apprentice
Had a blast, though I'm salty for BOTH my bracket losses this go-around (I'm coming for you @ SoulPech SoulPech and @Ola )! Hope we can save the bracket next time so I can look back on who I beat/lost to years from now.
Does that mean you saved some of the MoO tio files? >_> I think I still have the hard drive with them on it somewhere...... Would definitely be interesting to look at if I could find them.

Master WGS

Smash Lord
No, I didn't. Every so often I just scroll through old tournament results threads and hope they're still there.

I should start saving them though. :p

it's Papa

Smash Apprentice
Besides the slight technical difficulties, this was awesome. I can't believe we doubled last week's attendance.

Master WGS

Smash Lord
For anyone looking for videos from the event, I'm slowly adding my recordings here. This will be where all my future recordings, be they at the weekly fests or tournaments we travel to, will go as well.

Last edited:

AlfaStryke

Smash Apprentice
Thank you all for coming out.

Again sorry about the technical issues, with that I will attempt to use Challonge this next round. There is a sign up link for anyone who plans on entering. It will make it easy for me to start the tourney PROMPTLY @ 8, If you can not make it before 7:45 please sign up and I will try to hold your match until you show. However if everyone else has played Round 1 and you have failed to show up I will have to DQ you.

http://columbussmash.challonge.com/fightnight3

SoulPech

Smash Master
Thanks for those who came out. We had a record 42 people this tourney! Totally the most we had so far.

Here are the results:

(Let me know of the characters that were used)

1 Drephen - $48 :sheik:
2 PuppyChow - $24 :toonlink:
3 Carls493 - $8 :wario::kirby2:
4 SoulPech - $2 :jigglypuff::marth:
5 DBSammy :luigi2::metaknight:
5 solecalibur :sheik:
7 0la :toonlink:
7 The Oiler :metaknight:
9 AfroNinja :falcon:
9 Dad2 :peach:
9 Fugazi
9 R00
13 CryoSamus :bowser2::mewtwopm:
13 FrenzieFool
13 Papa :ivysaur:
13 Someone :lucas:
17 Alex
17AlfaStryke :yoshi2:
17 Falcon's Fist :ivysaur:
17 OllieNorth
17 Pix
17 Quivo
17 ShedChemist
17 Sir_scumbag
25 GayWeed
25 Grant
25 Gswizz
25 MasterWGS
25 Phaze
25 raymono100
25 Shadow Phoenix
25 XCITE
33 clintombment
33 CocoThunder
33 Eggs
33 Ham
33 MlLKMAN
33 Rance
33 Sexlexia
33 SuperNAC
33 SwagMasterQuincy
33 Teach_Me

D

Deleted member

^One day you'll spell it right *sigh*.

Had a lot of fun this tourney, and it really pushed me in the right direction in terms of building confidence in my own abilities.

Master WGS

Smash Lord
SUPER salty. Sorry if I was a **** to anyone I lost to - was feeling like I was playing below my usual level the whole night. Nothing personal.

Super stoked about the huge turnout, though it's making me worry Donatos isn't the right venue anymore. Felt crowded, and I'm sure the other Fight Night guys don't appreciate us taking up so much space. Don't know if this is just "new biweekly" hype making the turnout so big, but if they keep growing/maintaining this size, we may need to seriously consider finding a new place.

Carls493

Smash Ace
NNID
Carls493
3DS FC
5000-2571-4495
I really wanted to win 1st this time, after being 2nd last time. I ended up 3rd again...

I must figure out Sheik & Toon Link better.

Carls493

Smash Ace
NNID
Carls493
3DS FC
5000-2571-4495
It usually happens in matches that I had no expectation to lose, and usually when I'm already in Losers.

One small slipup can ruin everything in a battle, and that's what happened against PuppyChow. I was so upset over that.

Mattatari

Smash Cadet
Slippi.gg
MATT#715
NNID
TheSaiyanKid
3DS FC
0817-5200-0570
Can't wait for next week! What would you say the expected turnout is?

SuperNAC

Smash Rookie
fml.... just signed up round one vs drephen. Hello Losers bracket! lol

also I'm curious as to why drephen is the 3rd seed as opposed to the first since he won the last two tourneys.. Anyone shed some light on this for me?

Last edited:

SoulPech

Smash Master
Fight Night: Round 4 results:
1. Fizzle :dk2::mario2:
2. Drephen :sheik::ness2:
3. Carls :wario:
4. Abu :fox::pit::samus2:
5. Fugazi :ganondorf::ivysaur::falcon:
5. Puppychow :toonlink:
7. 1up :rob:
7. Suyon :zerosuitsamus::ike:

9. AfroNinja :falcon:
9. Master WGS :lucas::diddy:
9. Papa :ivysaur:
9. 7 Sharp :ike:

13. Dad :peach:
13. Eggs :yoshi2:
13. LivewireWarrior :kirby2:
13. Watty :lucas:

17. Game :mario2:
17. Bloodbane :lucario:
17. Doublekill :ganondorf:
17. Punk
17. Sleazerocker :luigi2:
17. solecalibur (dropped) :sheik:
17. someone :lucas:
17. XYK :luigi2:

25. And
25. Catshirt
25. Markusebear
25. Mars :ivysaur:
25. Mplusplus
25. ShedChemist :snake:
25. SpacemanSpiffy
25. SuperNAC

33 alej744
33. Alfastryke :yoshi2:
33. clintombment :yoshi2:
33. Cryosomnus :bowser2:
33. Gramilton
33. Hyperbeast_Hipster
33. Mattias1
33. Quincy
33. SBTIX
33. Silverion :lucas:

Lotta people. Glad people came. Let me know if I need to update character heads.

Last edited:

it's Papa

Smash Apprentice
Played some of the best smash of my life at this tournament and at the mason tournament a few days ago; I'm really proud. I played nail-biter sets against both puppychow and abu and nearly pulled both out. This community is the dopest, you guys have driven me to improve so much over the last couple months. Shoutouts to everyone.

Top Bottom