• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

J-Fighters: Ultimate Match (A Shonen Jump Fighting Game Concept)

Soul_of_Xeno

Smash Apprentice
Alright guys, I’m sorry for taking so much time. I’ve started a new semester of college so I was trying to focus on that. We’ll begin voting for the names now.

1. “Shonen Jump Smackdown”
2. “Jumpkaichi Budokai”
3. “Shonen Jump Ultimate Brawlers”
4. “Shonen Jump Climax”
5. “J-Fighters Ultimate Match”

Alongside the voting, I’ll be starting two jobs to keep the thread going.

Job 5 & 6: First Stages and Stage Selection Size
Lets add some stages that the character will be fighting on, and decide how many will be in the game.

Infinity Sorcerer

Smash Champion
  1. Jump Climax
  2. J-Fighters
  3. Jump Smackdown

20-30 stages is fine for me.

I nominate for a stage Morioh Town, I know that Jotaro is from Stardust Crusaders but he was an important character in DiU too (and if we have skins, is pretty likely we get his white outfit of that part in the end).

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
1. J-Fighters
2. Ultimate Brawlers
3. Smackdown

For a number of stages, I'm going to nominate 30; I think that would cover all of the individual series that we could wind up getting, and possibly some series that don't get playable characters.

Stage nomination:

Tenkaichi Budokai Arena

It's a fighting game featuring Dragon Ball - why not have a stage based on the series' big fighting tournament?

tonygameman

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3706-2453-6800
1. J-Fighters
2. Budokai
3. Climax

Stage Nomination: Kameari Police Station (KochiKame)

Stationed right in-front of Kameari Park, this ever-present (and a real one, which it is based on) police station is one of KochiKame's most prevalent locations where it's main character, Kankichi Ryotsu, works with fellow colleagues, even being a name-sake for the manga's extended title (Kochira Katsushika-ku Kameari Kōen Mae Hashutsujo).

This stage takes place on Kameari Park's streets as players fight each other in-front of the station with a bicycle (presumably Ryotsu or someone's else) being shown parked close to the door. Besides a few Japanese pedestrians walking on the street's sidewalk on a background, cameos include various characters from the series such as Keiichi Nakagawa, Reiko Akimoto, Daijiro Ohara (chief/boss), Ai Asato (Maria) and Hayato Honda.

Last edited:

Soul_of_Xeno

Smash Apprentice
I have returned to continue the thread, and I've gotten the results for the title.
1. Shonen Jump Smackdown = 4
2. Jumpkaichi Budokai = 1
3. Shonen Jump Ultimate Brawlers = 3
4. Shonen Jump Climax = 2
5. J-Fighters Ultimate Match = 5

This concept thread shall now be called "J-Fighters: Ultimate Match"

As for the stages, since we've only had a few suggestions I'll be putting them all in. The stages getting added are:
1. Tenkaichi Budokai Arena (Dragon Ball Z) Megadoomer Megadoomer
2. Morioh Town (Jojo's Bizarre Adventure) Infinity Sorcerer Infinity Sorcerer
3. Ichiraku Ramen (Naruto) Northsouthmap Northsouthmap
4. Kamerari Police Station (Kochikame) tonygameman tonygameman

The number of stages will be 30, but more can be added as DLC once we get there.

Soul_of_Xeno

Smash Apprentice
Job 7: Submit 80-90s Fighters
In order to properly celebrate the rich history of Shonen Jump, we will be going through important years of manga, all the way to the modern day. With us now having 55 slots for characters, we'll have a lot of free reign with our reps.

I'd like to keep the roster growing faster, so we'll be adding 4 new characters with this job.

I'll make sure to tell you guys when the voting begins.

Jondolio

Smash Hero
Gonna submit Arale Norimaki from Dr. Slump. Here's my writeup on her
Job #13: Arale Norimaki
View attachment 339050
Arale is the main protagonist of Dr. Slump, a gag manga that ran in Weekly Shonen Jump from 1980 to 1984. Arale is a little girl robot built by an inventor named Senbei Norimaki who lives in a town called Penguin Village. Arale is extremely naive and doesn't quite understand human social norms, which combined with her hyperactivity and insane strength gets her into all sorts of wacky misadventures.

By the way, of those personality traits I described sound like young Goku, that's probably no coincidence as Dr. Slump was created by non other than Akira Toriyama, the creator of Dragon Ball. Dr. Slump actually predates Dragon Ball and was Toriyama's first full series to be published in Jump, which began a very long partnership that's still going on to this day. In fact, Arale made an appearance in the Red Ribbon Arc of Dragon Ball, and from what I understand she's made a few appearances in Super as well!
View attachment 339052

Arale has been playable in every Jump fighting game since Jump Super Stars (other than Jump Force), so she would likely fight like she did in Jump Ultimate Stars, accompanied by her friend Gatchan.

Most of our cast currently consists of action-based characters which is to be expected from a Jump game, but Jump is so much more than that. Arale would provide more representation to the gag manga side of Jump, which is actually pretty big and is currently represented solely by Ryotsu. She's also a girl, which as of right now we don't have any of on our roster, so if we want any then she's one of our best options.

Last edited:

92MilesPrower

Smash Ace
Job #7: Yusuke Urameshi (YuYu Hakusho)

1677188442084.png

Protagonist of the early 90s hit manga and anime YuYu Hakusho, Yusuke Urameshi is a "Spirit Detective" capable of using Spirit Energy (usually in the form of his signature Spirit Gun), alongside being an experienced street-fighter, gifted with superhuman strength and speed. Yusuke is a veteran to Jump crossover fighting games since Jump Super Stars, and would be a logical inclusion for this game's roster.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047

Cyborg Grandpa G

Series: Cyborg Grandpa G (1989)

Cyborg Grandpa G is the titular character of an early series by Takeshi Obata, one half of the duo behind Death Note. One day, a 70 year old man named Tokijirou Kaizou decides to convert himself into a cyborg so that he can become the best farmer in the world. Nobody has any idea why he did this.

Unfortunately for everyone involved, his idea of farming is insanely dangerous. (in order to deal with a flock of crows, he creates scarecrows armed with miniguns, and at one point, jumps straight to blowing his entire field up)

He became something of a running gag on an earlier Jump thread, so I wanted to at least nominate him here.

Last edited:

Jondolio

Smash Hero
Didn't realize we were also allowed to submit 90s characters so I'm changing my submission to Himura Kenshin from Rurouni Kenshin
Job 17: Himura Kenshin (Rurouni Kenshin)
View attachment 339313
Himura Kenshin is the protagonist of Rurouni Kenshin, a battle manga that ran in Weekly Shonen Jump from 1994 to 1999. Kenshin is a rurouni - a traveling swordsman with no master, who wields a reversed blade katana to avoid landing a lethal blow to his opponents. He used to be an infamous assassin known as Hitokiri Battōsai who fought in the Bakumatsu, so he wanders the Japanese Countryside protecting the innocents to atone for his sins.

Kenshin may seem like just an ordinary swordsman, but he uses a sword style known as Hiten Mitsurugi-ryū, which is very fast and acrobatic and would distinguish him from other sword users on the roster. He'd be rather straightforward, but very unique.

Rurouni Kenshin is an extremely influential and beloved series and Kenshin is a staple of Jump crossovers. However, I should probably address the elephant in the room which is the fact that its author, Nobuhiro Watsuki, is... a deplorable human being for reasons I won't go into (If you know you know), and one could argue that we should not include a character made by a person like him in our game. However, very little of Watsuki's... less than admirable traits creeps into his writing, and the fact remains that Rurouni Kenshin is a very influential series. I think Kenshin has enough merit beyond that for us to overlook that and put him in the game. If he wasn't in the game, I'm sure a lot of people would be disappointed, especially in the Japanese side of the fandom.
I know it's a controversial pick but we really can't leave him out

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Sorry for any confusion that this might cause, but in that case, I'm going to change my nomination from Cyborg Grandpa G to Arale Norimaki from Dr. Slump, which came out in 1980.

The star of Akira Toriyama's pre-Dragon Ball hit, Arale is a robot, and the invention of Dr. Senbei Norimaki (the titular Dr. Slump). She's crazy, naive, and clueless, but she's powerful enough to traumatize Vegeta.

I figure that we don't have many gag manga characters (so far, it's just Ryotsu) or any women, and if there's one author who's got two different series that are popular enough to get in here, it's either Toriyama or Togashi, so I don't want to run the risk of Arale being left out.

Soul_of_Xeno

Smash Apprentice
Guys don't worry about controversy too much. You just gotta separate the art from the artist, or in this case, the manga from the mangaka.

Soul_of_Xeno

Smash Apprentice
Oh yeah, I have a quick question guys. Am I allowed to submit stuff for the jobs?

Soul_of_Xeno

Smash Apprentice
BDB321CB-3AF0-4C0C-BBAD-2DA4B53968E2.jpeg

Job 7: Dai (Dragon Quest: The Adventures of Dai)

I believe Dai should get another shot at being in a crossover game. His inclusion in jump force was pretty well recieved, and with his new anime being released around 2020, he still has relevance in the modern era. His moveset would be taking straight out of jump force, while his design is based on the new anime.

Soul_of_Xeno

Smash Apprentice
Alright, let's get started on the voting! For this, just list your top 4 characters based on the list like last time. Here are your choices:

1. Kenshin (Ruroni Kenshin)
2. Arale (Dr. Slump)
3. Yusuke Urameshi (Yu Yu Hakusho)
4. Pegasus Seiya (Saint Seiya)
5. Yugi Moto (Yugioh)
6. Dai (Dragon Quest: The Adventure of Dai)

I'll keep this vote up for a while, so take your time. Might set up the next job if you guys want.

For my votes,
1. Yusuke (He's gotta be in here, he's just too cool and has potential for great interactions with the rest of the characters)
2, Yugi Moto (He'd be crazy in a 2d fighter, I'd love to play as him. Though are we specifically choose Yugi Moto instead of Yami Yugi, or will he have a transformation?)
3. Arale (Such a fun character, she was sorely missed from DBFZ)
4. Pegasus Seiya (My dad actually grew up watching Saint Seiya, so this is a must for me. I'd love to play against my dad and he sees all his childhood clashing, it would be so sick)

Soul_of_Xeno

Smash Apprentice
I'm gonna give a bit more time for the voting if anymore people wanna chip in. While that's going on, Im gonna start our next job.

Job 8: 2000's Fighters
Getting closer to our time, we'll be choosing 4 fighters from the year 2000 all the way to 2010. A lot of great manga were made during this time, and I'm pretty hyped for this one! Let's get started!

Soul_of_Xeno

Smash Apprentice
The 80-90s Fighter Votes are in, and here are our results:

1. Kenshin Himura (Ruroni Kenshin): 3
2. Arale (Dr. Slump): 5
3. Yusuke Urameshi (Yu Yu Hakusho): 6
4. Pegasus Seiya (Saint Seiya): 4
5. Yugi Moto (Yugioh): 5

6. Dai (Dragon Quest: Adventures of Dai): 1

Our new fighters will be Yusuke Urameshi, Yugi Moto, Saint Seiya, and Arale! Thank you for your votes everybody.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I'm gonna give a bit more time for the voting if anymore people wanna chip in. While that's going on, Im gonna start our next job.

Job 8: 2000's Fighters
Getting closer to our time, we'll be choosing 4 fighters from the year 2000 all the way to 2010. A lot of great manga were made during this time, and I'm pretty hyped for this one! Let's get started!

BOBOBO-BO BO-BOBO
Series: Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo (2001-2005)

Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo (or Bo-bobo for short) is a master of the Fist of the Nose Hair martial art. In the distant future of 300X, he wages a one-man rebellion against the Chromedome Empire, a ruthless dictatorship that seeks to shave the hair off of every man, woman, and child in their dominion!

The series is... weird, to put it mildly.

What started out as a parody of Fist of the North Star quickly ramped its zaniness up to fifteen, to the point where Bo-bobo summoning Yugi Muto from his afro was just a thing that happened.

(this had to be changed for the anime, understandably)

The series also parodies pretty much everything that's commonplace in the shonen genre, from tragic backstories and secret forbidden techniques to transformations and dramatic death sequences.

While Bo-bobo's main form of attack is beating people up with his extremely long, whip-like nose hairs, his status as a gag character means that he can do pretty much anything and everything to beat the opponent.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
He's not from Shonen Jump. (his series is published by Kodansha, whereas Jump is published by Shueisha)

Here's a list of series that are in Shonen Jump. Some noteworthy examples from 2000 to 2010 include:
  • JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stone Ocean (it just says characters from 2000-2010, so I'm not sure if this applies or if it's meant to be for series that debuted then), along with Steel Ball Run
  • Eyeshield 21 (a football manga; the artist went on to do One Punch Man)
  • Death Note (all according to keikaku*. Not sure how the characters from that would work in a fighting game, but there's been weirder)
  • Gintama (I haven't read this one, but I've heard good things about it)
  • Katekyo Hitman Reborn (a story about a young boy who turns out to be the next in line to run a crime family, and the baby assassin (as in an assassin who's a baby, not an assassin who exclusively targets babies) who trains him - starts out as a comedy only to veer hard into action territory)
  • D. Gray-Man (a story about exorcists hunting demons and (last I checked) dealing with conspiracies; I believe it moved to a monthly magazine, but I think it would still count)
  • Toriko (it still seems wild to me that Shueisha advertised this series as though it was on par with One Piece, Dragon Ball, or Naruto - it was good, but definitely not at that level. Anyway, it's a manga about people hunting for their ultimate full course meal)

*: Translator's note: keikaku means plan

Last edited:

92MilesPrower

Smash Ace
Job 8:
Gintoki Sakata (Gintama)
1677891936595.png

Protagonist of the sci-fi comedy series Gintama, Gintoki is a samurai and a freelancer, as well as owner of the shop named Yorozuya (which literally means The Anything Store/House of 10,000 Business), doing pretty much any kind of job for money. Gintoki would be a veteran, having appeared in past Shonen Jump fighting games.

Last edited:

Jondolio

Smash Hero
Gonna submit Allen Walker from D.Gray-Man
Job 21: Allen Walker (D.Gray-man)
View attachment 339963
Allen Walker is the protagonist of D.Grey-man, a series that debuted in Weekly Shonen Jump in 2004 and has since switched magazines numerous times (though it has remained a Jump series the whole time), settling in Jump SQ.Rise in 2018. Allen is a British teenager in the 19th century the who joins the Black Order, a group of soldiers known as exorcists. In order to fight demons, Allen uses an object known as an innocence that causes his arm to become gigantic, and develops new abilities as the series progresses.

Now admittedly I'm not very familiar with the series so I had to look all that up (apologies if I got anything wrong), but despite not having as much publicity as the likes of say, Naruto or Bleach, D.Grey-man is popular enough to rank at the top 40 best selling Jump series, and Allen actually made it into the Jump Stars games alongside another character from the series, Lenalee Lee. When he was demoted into an assist in J-Stars, people weren't happy, so I think we should rectify that by having him be playable again. Heck, as I said before the series is still running (although that can be attributed to the number of hiatuses it took, but still), so it's still relevant enough to be included in the year 2021.

Top Bottom