• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ivysaur's Gender

tux_do

Smash Cadet
Ok, so I constantly see people calling Ivysaur a girl, but then someone asks why everyone says that. Before a good argument can happen, someone gets mad about getting off topic, so what this is for, is a good debate on Ivysaur's gender.

Personally I think he is a he, everytime I play pokemon, my bulbasaur is always a guy, I think the chance of them to be female is much smaller.

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
well as seen in the lucario update pokemon are now referred to as it so use your imagination i guess (not much diffrence anyhow)

Kinlap

Smash Apprentice
What ever you want it to be when you cuddle with it... in a pokeball... with sheets.

dipic7

Smash Rookie
I know there are actually genders with pokemon (as seen in the games, and perhaps the TV shows... I wouldn't know) but I don't understand why people can't understand that something like a pokemon doesn't have to have a gender. Like Kirby for instance. Perhaps it doesn't have a gender. It's a pink blob that sucks large objects into it's being through it's giant mouth... does it really have to be a he or she? Does it matter at all?

-Knux-

Smash Ace
To solve the gender problem for PT's pokemon, we should call them males. Every starter has an 87.5% chance of being a male. If everyone agreed to refer to them as males, there would be no confusion among members. But alas, there would still be strife. That's why we should just let people call them what they want.

Myself, I call every playable Pokemon in Brawl a male, save for Jigglypuff.

kitsuneko345

Smash Ace
*sending Sundance lots of apple pies on Pi Day, as
Ok, so I constantly see people calling Ivysaur a girl, but then someone asks why everyone says that. Before a good argument can happen, someone gets mad about getting off topic, so what this is for, is a good debate on Ivysaur's gender.

Personally I think he is a he, everytime I play pokemon, my bulbasaur is always a guy, I think the chance of them to be female is much smaller.
Yeah, sorry about that. ( I said to stay on topic.) It's good that there is a thread to this conflict. I hate people off-topic.

Anyway, I did answer the question before:

I guess because he/she seems more feminine then the other two. I, personally, would agree, but I call ivysaur a "he", mostly for my sake for not willing to learn. :laugh:
So yeah.

Elliot Gale

Smash Ace
I personally think they're all guys. 87.5% dominance, and the trainer is male. Trainers tend to use Pokémon that are the same gender as they are.

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731
it doesn't matter really, I figure pika is male, jiggly is female, Lucario is male, Ivy is female , and Charizard and squirtle are male. However I only say that because how the pokemon sound. In all honesty they are all it's and thus can be either gender

Wyvern

Smash Journeyman
A while ago, before the Japanese release of Brawl, ShortFuse had a huge Japanese translation thread, where people posted findings from Japanese websites, magazines, and whatnot. At some point, someone (I forget if it was Shortfuse or someone else) found a site which confirmed that Squirtle and Charizard were male and Ivysaur was female. I don't know what the site was or whether or not it was official (I've heard people say the information originated in Famitsu, but I'm not positive), but that's where it started. I've been going along with it 'cause at least then I can sort of say that Brawl has one female newcomer. Besides, statistically speaking, there's at least a one in eight chance that it's correct. And since they're just a generic set of Pokemon from no specific source anyway, you can call them whatever you want and not be wrong.

EDIT: Here's the post. http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=3749047&highlight=FUSHIGISOU#post3749047 The link to the website no longer works, though.

Oceanborn

Smash Journeyman
Why only Ivysaur? Maybe Squirtle or Charizard's a girl. Maybe the Pokemon Trainer is a tomboy. Why is it only Ivysaur? Because it has "Ivy" on it's name and/or a flower on it's back?

m0dredus

Hail Hydra
I personally try to call any pokemon I can, a girl. Because most pokemon do look like guys. So whenever I can convince myself that it looks like a girl, I call it one. Squirtle doesn't look like one to me, and charizard is iffy. I suppose it could be a girl, if I really tried to convince myself of that. But Ivysaur just looks and seems most convincing. So does her voice in the *** version, I have yet to hear it on the US one.

Black/Light

Smash Master
I personally see her as female because of the combination of her female voice and the fact that she is a cute lil dino with a flower on her back. Also, her victory poses look VERY female like.

Heck, I have half a mind to call Char a female too. He looks smaller than I would expert Char to be. . . .BUT there are some reptiles/Dinos that have the female as the larger one. Squirt is like a small child that you see from fare away who wears normal baggy cloaths. . .could go either way if your just glancing.

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
Here's the thing: with Sheik, she was definitely a chick. She is a single character in Nintendo history, and she has to have a set of parameters that make her up.

With the Pokemon, it's different though. Someone said Pikachu's tail indicates he's a guy, but other than that, the other Pokemon are not set characters. The Pokemon you play as are the Pokemon from your games. I think the idea is to use your imagination here, because even voices won't confirm anything. They're different species, you can't simply use voice to differentiate.

For example, when I played Pokemon, I always picked male Pokemon, EXCEPT in the instance of Dragonite, of whom mine was always female. Why? I'm not really sure, but you can bet that in Pokemon Snap, every time I called Dragonite out of the whirlpool, it was a girl, and if Dragonite appeared in Smash, I'd imagine her as a girl too.

My point is that most Pokemon are not set characters, they are a species of individuals, and it's up to you to decide which individual you are playing.

c4pt41n 0l1m4r

Smash Rookie
Uhhhh..... its a f***ing pokemon WHO CARES
and anyone who argues about the gender of a pokemon needs to get a life, just call it ivysaur, or what ever you prefer.

- Prisma -

Smash Cadet
You could normally tell if Ivysaur is a boy or girl, depending on the bulb.
If the bulb has a little flower coming within the bulb its a girl.
If it dosen't have one, its a boy.
But I'd need to play Brawl and see that it is officially a girl or not.

I personally think it is a girl. Or should be one.

Rakath

Smash Ace
The "Pokemon apparent Gender" addition in Diamond Pearl didn't change every Pokemon.

If we had Venusaur instead of Ivysaur, we would know. However aside from Venusaur, the other 8 of the 9 forms of the Gen 1 starters are identicle.

Personally I play the law of averages on the Pokemon without a telling point:

Three Starters: Male
Pikachu: Male (by tail difference, I was hoping that'd be worked into his costumes. Additionally his accessories are that of MALE characters).
Lucario: Male
Jigglypuff: Female (and her accessories are opposite of Pikachus, making them the female set).

Rakath

Smash Ace
See, IrishSheikah, if you don't care about a topic, DON'T POST IN IT!

People do have an opinion on this, and do want to discuss it, so please, go away.

Pokizard

Smash Cadet
WHO FRICKIN" CARES. THE THINGS A FRICKIN' TOAD!!! LETS JUST CALL IT A GUY! GOD!

It is a Pokething or whatever. Please just STOP!
Evidently, a lot of people DO care.
Oh, it is a FRICKIN" dinosaur.

Anyway, I refer to any Pokemon but the Chansey family, Jiggs family, Ralts family or any other obviously feminine Pokemon as a he.

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
Any particular reason that you care so much that you deem it a valuable use of your time to inform others that they should not care?

If you don't catch the irony there, you're a typical internet user.

tux_do

Smash Cadet
ok, I guess alot of you have good reasons for calling him a girl, so from now on, I will call all of the pokemon it, oh and I would like to express my sorrow that an alternate form didn't give squirtle sweet sunglasses

RenegadeRaven

Smash Ace
To solve the gender problem for PT's pokemon, we should call them males. Every starter has an 87.5% chance of being a male. If everyone agreed to refer to them as males, there would be no confusion among members. But alas, there would still be strife. That's why we should just let people call them what they want.

Myself, I call every playable Pokemon in Brawl a male, save for Jigglypuff.
Also if you start off as a male you have a higher chance of it being male, and vise versa if you're a female.

In the show, the males and females pokemon have specific characteristics in order to tell them apart. This is also in Diamond and Pearl. In the tv show, the female bulbasaur have hearts on their foreheads instead of the usual designs. Such as a female Treecko has a flower instead of a stick.

That's how I see it. I think it's pretty obvious Ivysaur is a boy. Nothing supports him being female unless you have a fact about it.

Rakath

Smash Ace
Actually your gender doesn't effect gender ratios in the game... The same overyly high male population happens to female trainers.

Black/Light

Smash Master
That's how I see it. I think it's pretty obvious Ivysaur is a boy. Nothing supports him being female unless you have a fact about it.
I don't think its "obvious" that it's a boy. If that where the case than I would think that this wouldn't be a problem. . .am I correct?

Supposetly its been confirmed (or atleast largerly accepted) that Ivy is a female but I don't care about that. I think she is female because of the overly female voice acting and the somewhat girlish way she poses after her victory.

"But 87.5% are males" well so what? Over half of all our population are female (Thanks to the fact that men, on arvg, die younger than females) but we don't use that as the default sex when refering to people.

I personally can't hear the overly female voice, see the overly playful girly V poses and simply label her a male by defult. There ARE female Ivys, how every few, and I feel this is one of them but like MicFox stated it's up to your own feelings.

squiser

Smash Apprentice
Whether you're a girl or a guy does not affect the gender of your pokemon x) Otherwise I'm guessing there would be a lot more female players to get that female starter. Anyways, it's true that nothing supports Ivysaur being a girl, but there's nothing to contradict that either. I just sorta assumed that all three would be male, but when I heard some sources calling Ivysaur a girl, I thought why not? It's a little variation...I kinda like it. If no further evidence pops up, I don't see why we can't call Ivysaur a "she".

Is it time for an e-mail to Sakurai? =P

Top Bottom