• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I've yet to see this mentioned. (Grab trick)

Underload

Lazy
About a week ago, I was trying to find a good way to utilize Diddy's grab release banana chain (I don't know the name. It's where you pummel an opponent until they release on the ground, slip on a banana behind them, and you regrab.) Here's the fruit of my labor. inb4oldnews

Banana glidetossed forward > sliding pivot grab > grab release banana chain

Pardon my terminology. Has this been found / discussed before?

Player-1

Smash Legend
Pretty good idea, but the banana choke chaingrab...isn't a chaingrab, you can roll out of before you grab them

ChocoNaner

Smash Journeyman
It doesn't work. Even if you do grab them from the position where they landed after tripping, the grab release won't send them far enough because the boosted pivot slides. Non-boosted works but they can probably roll/get away before getting grabbed. =/

Imo downward glide toss(in the direction of the opponent)->non-boosted pivot works better for that.

Player-1

Smash Legend
It doesn't work. Even if you do grab them from the position where they landed after tripping, the grab release won't send them far enough because the boosted pivot slides. Non-boosted works but they can probably roll/get away before getting grabbed. =/

Imo downward glide toss(in the direction of the opponent)->non-boosted pivot works better for that.
It depends on what character it is and how far you are from them when you throw the banana

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
what is the difference between a pivot grab and a boosted pivot grab?
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=220729

To do a Boosted Pivot Grab, you cancel a Dash Attack into a Pivot Grab. It's similar in concept to the DACUS (or "Boosted Up Smash"), and is used frequently by Falco mains. This is a neat idea, though the fact that you slide does kinda cause problems. You could probably do this when your opponent is close to the ledge (or side of a platform), such that the slide will be stopped when you reach the edge.

EDIT: You could do this after a banana lock to the edge to then proceed to turn around and Banana Choke Chaingrab the opposite direction! If this works at the edge, would you (OP) mind if I add this to the Boosted Pivot Grab thread? This sound like a neat trick :)

DFEAR

Smash Hero
lol ive been doing that grab on snakes for so long man (forward down glide toss next to their predicted spotdodge> reverse grab>release>dash grab). but its really not that necessary it looks cool dont get me wrong but its just easier if you go with simple locks and dash attack combos. but this is helpful in the situation when theyre almost near the edge and u want to accomplish a slam dunk combo but theyre like an inch away and need that extra "slip" so thats where this would be useful :p

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
can't they also escape by spamming jump?

or is that without pummel
i actually try do a "banana choke chaingrab" when ever there's a banana placed directly in front of me
I think you hinted on it, but you can force a ground release by pummeling (which is the only good reason to use the Banana Choke, because otherwise it wouldn't do damage :laugh:).

DFEAR

Smash Hero
if u land it why not u have to also predict ur opponent and punish him. bananas create awesome tech chases :p

Coyn3Masta

Smash Journeyman
lol ive been doing that grab on snakes for so long man (forward down glide toss next to their predicted spotdodge> reverse grab>release>dash grab). but its really not that necessary it looks cool dont get me wrong but its just easier if you go with simple locks and dash attack combos. but this is helpful in the situation when theyre almost near the edge and u want to accomplish a slam dunk combo but theyre like an inch away and need that extra "slip" so thats where this would be useful :p
lol for snakes i d-throw -----> regular pivot grab ------> u -throw... then i do w/e xD. This pretty much works whenever i do it at lower percents on snake, its kind of easier to get them off the stage for an early gimp, of course maybe im not vsing snakes with better di

Player-1

Smash Legend
I don't know that, honestly. I guess the players I play against don't know either O.o

So, is it even worth it to find setups for it?
Yes, only because I think dash attack from it is a true combo, but I'm not entirely sure, and on certain characters I'm pretty sure certain attacks can come out fast enough.

Bellioes

Smash Lord
I did a little testing and if you start a BCC in the opposite direction after a banana lock, then your opponent should have between 20-30 depending on the character (this was tested on FD). They struggle cause they think your gonna throw or something and you get 2 pummels in. They release and slip and you regrab. After the first GR, they wont struggle anymore cause theyre gonna wanna wait out your bananas life span. When they dont struggle, you only get it in 1-2 more grabs before the banana disappears (I actually sometimes got 3 but it was rare as in 1 outve 6 times)
So yeah, Id say its better to just Fsmash after the banana lock cause itll be fresh dealing 20% (I think) if both hits connect while the BCC only does 10-15% depending on the number of grabs you can fit in.

Player-1

Smash Legend
i Did A Little Testing And If You Start A Bcc In The Opposite Direction After A Banana Lock, Then Your Opponent Should Have Between 20-30 Depending On The Character (this Was Tested On Fd). They Struggle Cause They Think Your Gonna Throw Or Something And You Get 2 Pummels In. They Release And Slip And You Regrab. After The First Gr, They Wont Struggle Anymore Cause Theyre Gonna Wanna Wait Out Your Bananas Life Span. When They Dont Struggle, You Only Get It In 1-2 More Grabs Before The Banana Disappears (i Actually Sometimes Got 3 But It Was Rare As In 1 Outve 6 Times)
So Yeah, Id Say Its Better To Just Fsmash After The Banana Lock Cause Itll Be Fresh Dealing 20% (i Think) If Both Hits Connect While The Bcc Only Does 10-15% Depending On The Number Of Grabs You Can Fit In.
The Bcc Isn't A True Chaingrab!!!!!

MdrnDayMercutio

Smash Champion
But none the less, at low percents, if the Boosted Pivot Grab can be garunteed to release into the banana it gives you more options.

Banana Lock > Reverse Pivot Grab > Pummel > Trip > Whatever...

It's at least surprising enough to use once and awhile for a little extra damage and such.

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
lol for snakes i d-throw -----> regular pivot grab ------> u -throw... then i do w/e xD. This pretty much works whenever i do it at lower percents on snake, its kind of easier to get them off the stage for an early gimp, of course maybe im not vsing snakes with better di
Holy **** does that work? *tests*

Yes, only because I think dash attack from it is a true combo, but I'm not entirely sure, and on certain characters I'm pretty sure certain attacks can come out fast enough.
Ah, thank you. In that case, I really do think this is a viable option to do out of a Banana Lock after all, if there are guaranteed setups (if not the Banana Choke). Sounds fun :3

Top Bottom