• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I've encountered a problem.

MC=3

Smash Cadet
Melee Falcon. He was a lean, mean killing machine. I used him from the moment I learned the concept of maining, and never tried anyone else. He was just too fun.

After using Brawl Falcon for the first time in a while, I realized that using him is the closest thing I'll ever get to replacing the joy of using Melee Falcon. His aerials, man...they aren't the best, but I know them like the back of my hand. The problem is...

He cannot win matches. In the general sense, I have never won a match with Falcon against a decent opponent being serious without items. My friends hated playing against my Falcon in Melee--they were overjoyed when the physics of Brawl rejected him. If I even glance at his icon, they will immediatly shout out "Captain Falcon Sucks" or in the case of one of my most hated players: "You suck with Captain Falcon." I played around with everyone else to emulate the fun of playing Falcon, but no one came close. Brawl quickly became stale, and right now I'm only playing about 3 matches a day and checking up on stages my friends send me.

I fear I'm going to have to go back to Melee if this keeps up, unless there's some miracle trick to Falcon that we haven't discovered yet. How do you guys deal with Falcon's weaknesses?

(And yes, I know the general strategy of being Falcon, obviously.)

Reaver197

Smash Lord
Keep playing Melee, don't give it up, especially if you enjoy playing it. At first, it can be awkward, but it becomes quite easy to transition between Brawl and Melee since Brawl is so technically undemanding.

But, yeah, as of yet, Brawl's engine and mechanics do not really allow Falcon to make up for his disadvantages.

Tenki

Smash Hero
Wouldn't playing more Melee make it worse when you switch back to Brawl?

@_@; you know, since being in a Melee mindset seems to be the bane for any player with a changed character (Peach, Link, Ganondorf... etc)

KeyKid19

Smash Ace
The trick is altering your mindset depending on what game you're playing. I'm not exactly a tech-savvy Melee player, but honestly adapting back and forth is not THAT hard. I'd still say that my Melee game has never fully recovered since Brawl, but I think that's more because I play Melee very infrequently and never really get into a groove.

BananaTrooper

Smash Journeyman
Melee Falcon. He was a lean, mean killing machine. I used him from the moment I learned the concept of maining, and never tried anyone else. He was just too fun.

After using Brawl Falcon for the first time in a while, I realized that using him is the closest thing I'll ever get to replacing the joy of using Melee Falcon. His aerials, man...they aren't the best, but I know them like the back of my hand. The problem is...

He cannot win matches. In the general sense, I have never won a match with Falcon against a decent opponent being serious without items. My friends hated playing against my Falcon in Melee--they were overjoyed when the physics of Brawl rejected him. If I even glance at his icon, they will immediatly shout out "Captain Falcon Sucks" or in the case of one of my most hated players: "You suck with Captain Falcon." I played around with everyone else to emulate the fun of playing Falcon, but no one came close. Brawl quickly became stale, and right now I'm only playing about 3 matches a day and checking up on stages my friends send me.

I fear I'm going to have to go back to Melee if this keeps up, unless there's some miracle trick to Falcon that we haven't discovered yet. How do you guys deal with Falcon's weaknesses?

(And yes, I know the general strategy of being Falcon, obviously.)
It's likely you still have to adjust to Falcon in brawl. If it's true you find yourself losing close to every match, your Falcon needs more work. Falcon has been nerfed, but not to the point where he cannot win at all. Falcon can win, falcon does win, more times than most people give him credit for.

Give it more time. There are some very tough matchups where equal skill level will likely end in a loss for Falcon, but there are also ones where I'd say a good Falcon has good odds.

I'm not optimistic about finding anything game-breaking enough to tilt more matchups in his favour. If it exists, it will be found - in the meantime, just play falcon and enjoy beating people who underestimate him (there's quite a few of those, you won't have to look far).

F5Hazardousdoc

Smash Ace
After a while, i get into a falcon mode where I'm practically unstoppable with falcon for what, 2-3 matches, before I lose my groove. During that time, I practically land every knee I throw out, and I hit with most of my kill moves too. It feels kinda good...

cecil777

Smash Rookie
don't give up on falcon- he may have been nerfed, but he's still fun! though i mainly play ness, i occasionally pick up captain falcon because he's a fun character. it may sound a bit... elementary... but his falcon kick is killer! try using that. wow... i sound like a n00b... but my friends fall for it, so why shouldn't yours? i like to use it in the air. it seems to do good damage and knockback. i also like the down smash, it has a short pause between the front and back kicks. that may seem bad at first, but it adds an element of unpredictability to the game.
and one more thing...
what is captain falcon's favorite drink?
FALCON PUNCH!
hahaha, that always puts a smile on MY face.

Ayaz18

Smash Champion
Maybe you should practice Brawl's Falcon game, cause it took me a while to switch and it was tempting to go back to melee, but i stayed and trained, now the only characters I can't beat are MK and IC

Reaver197

Smash Lord
I can say with a fair bit of confidence that playing Melee will not adversely affect your Brawl game, especially when you can differentiate between the two's styles and strategies.

I can also say, though, that playing Brawl extensively can damage your Melee game, lol.

Top Bottom