• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I've been trying to be in competitive smash, and I already feel like giving up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
Read Daigo's "The Willpower to Keep Winning".

Edit: To add a little more to this I'd just like to emphasize two things he has said before
1. It goes along the lines of "you need to find the balance of not becoming too arrogant after a win, as well as avoiding self-deprecation after a loss"
2. He has said that if you focus too much on an objective that it can be detrimental. Basically if your sole goal in a tournament is to win it's probably going to make you perform worse due to pressure etc. Try to have a goal centered more around improving your play that winning alone.

Last edited:

TheBurningBadger

Smash Cadet
NNID
ChibiOfficial
3DS FC
4871-5711-3749
Why don't you just practice with some people here....and if you wanna practice wit me, I only own the 3DS ver.

Machii

Smash Apprentice
Online is garbage, I wouldn't compare your skill to your FG win rate. Also try other characters, maybe you are just not very good with the current ones you use. Also you should post videos or something because right now we have no idea why you are losing so much.
Couldn't agree more. Most characters are heavily effected by the input lag from online matches, leaving them completely useless in a competitive field. This also gives way to a heavily defensive play favored game which enables hard abuse. Quit playing online altogether is my best advice. I've been having much more fun playing against my amiibo.

Diamond DHD

Smash Journeyman
Well thats another problem...

I get that it takes a very long time to even get well-known in competitive smash, but it honestly feels like I NEVER improve...
You've improved on an extremely small scale, you know that cliché thing about "never giving up"? Well, it's cliché for a reason, you know when you watch a movie with a montage where they git gud and you see the person fail a bunch of times, well imagine that, except expand the scale so instead of a 10 minute montage it's months of practicing. You'll hit a point where you get better. I've not been in to competitive Smash for very long, but I've experience this in similar games.

Every single big famous Smash player started from being nobodies, even Mew2King was just one of many who eventually passed Ken, and then he had to prove himself as the best out of all of those players.

Conda

aka COBBS - Content Creator (Toronto region)
Couldn't agree more. Most characters are heavily effected by the input lag from online matches, leaving them completely useless in a competitive field. This also gives way to a heavily defensive play favored game which enables hard abuse. Quit playing online altogether is my best advice. I've been having much more fun playing against my amiibo.
"With Friends' and enforcing regional play is where it's at. Go to smashladder or r/smashconnect to make it easier to find people nearby.

I've also got a player spotlight service going on that I just started (http://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/2okqif/new_playerspotlight_service_looking_for_skilled/) that helps bring attention to those doing well in the online sphere. It helps players strive to be better online and gives us recorded and commentated matches to refer to.

Last edited:

samoht45

Smash Rookie
NNID
samoht45
My win streak is literally at 20%. Ever since that tournament I attended to last Saturday, i've been constantly failing. I reached semi-finals in the tournament, but I only got lucky. It always seem like i'm unable to approach the opponent, and he/she always beats the living crap out of me.

Sometimes I wonder why I even try...
Bruh, never give up. Losing only makes you stronger. Get in the mindset of losing being a good thing and learn from it, save your replays, learn WHY you lose. You need the fighting spirit!! Add me on NNID samoht45 and let's spar together sometime!

Udlr Customs

Smash Apprentice
NNID
UDLR Hanzo
What Ive seen often is that people use and stick to a particular character simply because they like the character outside of Smash. Sometimes that character has a style not well suited for your fighting game tendencies. I love Sonic but since I can't get wins with him reliably I had to find a character that was a better fit for me. After really looking at my game figured I needed a heavier character that could rack up damage without using a bunch of combos, that character ended up being Charizard. I never imagined Char as a main for me but I get tons on wins with him and he feels great to use.
Dont get discouraged until you tried other characters

AnchorTea

Smash Lord
NNID
AnchorageTea
What Ive seen often is that people use and stick to a particular character simply because they like the character outside of Smash. Sometimes that character has a style not well suited for your fighting game tendencies. I love Sonic but since I can't get wins with him reliably I had to find a character that was a better fit for me. After really looking at my game figured I needed a heavier character that could rack up damage without using a bunch of combos, that character ended up being Charizard. I never imagined Char as a main for me but I get tons on wins with him and he feels great to use.
Dont get discouraged until you tried other characters
For me, its different. I LOVE animal crossing, and i'm pretty descent with Villager. I also like Kid Icarus and Uprising. And I love Mega Man games. And I'm descent with Pit, Dark Pit, and Mega Man.

Gionni

Smash Apprentice
Hear me out, I started playing smash competitively some time ago, I still have to go to a tournament because there isn't one near where I live, anyway there is a saying here "no matter how many times you fall, you get up" basically never give up, I know that in the beginning you will lose, it happened to me too against my friend that was way better than me but I continued playing looking on internet techniques, strategys but most importantly I watched a lot of high level matches a little by little I became better than my friend and now I'll continue to play because I will only get better just as everyone. So to put it simply, don't give up, never give up continue playing and you will become better at the game, everyone loses even the best

Loken

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-6858-0816-0777
I pretty much think I'm going to give up at this point. Two months trying to get to even a level that could be called "almost passable" at the game and I feel like all I have achieved is to go backwards. I'm not learning anything from losing, I'm doing worse than I was when I started and as such the game has gotten incredibly boring and stale for me.

Diamond DHD

Smash Journeyman
I pretty much think I'm going to give up at this point. Two months trying to get to even a level that could be called "almost passable" at the game and I feel like all I have achieved is to go backwards. I'm not learning anything from losing, I'm doing worse than I was when I started and as such the game has gotten incredibly boring and stale for me.
Alright, this might be a real kicker, but it all comes down to the fact that competitive Smash isn't for everyone, it's not even for a few people, it's extremely niche. I do believe though that any passionate gamer can become competitive or professional, but sometimes the synergy between the player and the game just isn't right. I mean, let's say we got Jtails to have a go at competitive Call of Duty, he probably wouldn't get very far. This isn't because Jtails isn't cut out for competitive gaming, it's because he probably wouldn't be able to keep at practicing Call of Duty match after Call of Duty match without getting frustrated or bored.
(This analogy is going straight out the window if Jtails plays CoD, but you get my point.)

Maybe give the game a break, play it in short spurts, if you don't like the game enough to keep practicing then you don't like the game enough. There's nothing you can do about it.

Nintendrone

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Nintendrone42
3DS FC
2535-3781-8442
Switch FC
SW 3369 4102 5813
The best way to improve is to find out why you lost, such as replays. What mistakes did you make? What did your opponent do better? Try new things, and stick to ones that work well, be it character or strategy. Don't forget to have fun too, as you'll be able to adapt better and not play like a mindless drone. This strategy is better than simply doing your homework on a wiki or something (I learned that the hard way), although the two can work together.

I'll give my story. My beginnings in serious play started when my cousin wrecked me and my friends in Melee. While my friends accepted that he was on some unattainable level, I decided to see how he plays. I learned, and I rapidly improved to the point where I surpassed him. It was reversed in Brawl, as I was apparently some untouchable god to my friends. They learned how I played, and then my Sonic struggled until I noticed his weaknesses. I then briefly switched to Kirby, and then to my current main Marth. I rose to prominence in the group again, but that experience improved me and all of my friends.

So yeah. You should play some of us online if you want to spar. My NNID is Nintendrone42

Syde7

The Sultan of Smut
NNID
syde_7
or, OR, OOOOOOR he found a place called "smashboards", that just so happens to be a forum, and decided to host a discussion about it?

It sounds like the narcissist here is you bro. People get salty sometimes. Salty people need to vent, and most of the time, venting makes it better!

Would he be better to just swallow his salty emotions and deal with it in his own salty, salt like solitude?

No, because then he'd probably sound alot like you. And no one would like him!
I'm disappointed you didn't say "saltitude".

On topic: Don't sweat it OP. Getting better comes in peaks and valleys. Almost after every success you have, you'll find yourself taking a step or two back. The reason being: You've now mastered (or in the very least improved) in some ways, and these improvements were enough to get you to that level. However, they aren't enough to get you to the NEXT level. And so, it may feel like you aren't having success.

Also, especially for newer players / new games or whatever, you happen to just hit "a zone", where everything clicks. Its hard to replicate that. The only way to do that is to practice, practice, practice without giving up until that "zone" you were in for one fleeting afternoon becomes your normal.

Nintendrone

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Nintendrone42
3DS FC
2535-3781-8442
Switch FC
SW 3369 4102 5813
Something I forgot to say that can help tremendously: be careful about your attitude. Instead of thinking "I might give up" or "I'm no good", think "I will improve" or "I'll do better next time". Try to see how you've improved and feel proud when look back at your old replays. Positive thinking and affirmations can go a long way.

Jtails

Smash Lord
Alright, this might be a real kicker, but it all comes down to the fact that competitive Smash isn't for everyone, it's not even for a few people, it's extremely niche. I do believe though that any passionate gamer can become competitive or professional, but sometimes the synergy between the player and the game just isn't right. I mean, let's say we got Jtails to have a go at competitive Call of Duty, he probably wouldn't get very far. This isn't because Jtails isn't cut out for competitive gaming, it's because he probably wouldn't be able to keep at practicing Call of Duty match after Call of Duty match without getting frustrated or bored.
(This analogy is going straight out the window if Jtails plays CoD, but you get my point.)

Maybe give the game a break, play it in short spurts, if you don't like the game enough to keep practicing then you don't like the game enough. There's nothing you can do about it.
I actually do play cod! and I've been able to show competitive viability in any game I play. Not to discredit your analagy, because it does in fact make sense. However as a soon to be highschool science teacher, I believe that anyone has the ability to learn anything, not just by putting their mind to it, but by having structured study of whatever it is they are learning. Maybe you've hit a few roadblocks and plateaus. We all have.. But pushing through that is what separates the higher level players from lower or casual. It's all dependant on how bad you want it. Now if you're speaking on, maybe you just don't want it as bad as you thought you did, and maybe your interest in competitive smash is leaving you, then that's a different issue altogether. But no one becomes a top player overnight. I spent 6 long years playing Brawl nearly every single day, my Wii has over 5000 hours clocked in, not to mention, friends Wii's, tournaments and all the time I spent watching videos and reading guides.

Using a game dev analogy, Yes everyone has different base stats starting out, maybe you're naturally more athletic than others, maybe you're better at critical thinking, but have worse reaction time. Either way, It may be more difficult for someone to reach a certain level, but at the top, things start evening out, and you start to play against player vs player and character vs character. It becomes about your understanding of the game you're playing. Every game can be broken down into components and objectives. Either way, while I agree with your analysis, It might be difficult for me to become a top COD player, with enough time and dedication, there is no doubt that I can one day be one.

I did boxing for a while too, but I wasn't athletic, and then I impressed everyone by rising up. It really is all about how you practice things, and your mindset. In any case, I hope you don't quit smash, and I hope you still enjoy the game. Just my personal opinion and these are questions I've thought a lot about in the past. I believe that anything is possible, but maybe I'm just optimistic.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
My win streak is literally at 20%. Ever since that tournament I attended to last Saturday, i've been constantly failing. I reached semi-finals in the tournament, but I only got lucky. It always seem like i'm unable to approach the opponent, and he/she always beats the living crap out of me.

Sometimes I wonder why I even try...
if you main Villager, we can practice together. We can learn from each other, even.

Also you cant just get to semi-finals while being bad. Maybe you're just not for online play XD Some people really are better offline~

elmike

Smash Apprentice
i just wanted to say that it amazed me the amount of great support and tips for the OP.

This community is fantastic.

AnchorTea

Smash Lord
NNID
AnchorageTea
The best way to improve is to find out why you lost, such as replays. What mistakes did you make? What did your opponent do better? Try new things, and stick to ones that work well, be it character or strategy. Don't forget to have fun too, as you'll be able to adapt better and not play like a mindless drone. This strategy is better than simply doing your homework on a wiki or something (I learned that the hard way), although the two can work together.

I'll give my story. My beginnings in serious play started when my cousin wrecked me and my friends in Melee. While my friends accepted that he was on some unattainable level, I decided to see how he plays. I learned, and I rapidly improved to the point where I surpassed him. It was reversed in Brawl, as I was apparently some untouchable god to my friends. They learned how I played, and then my Sonic struggled until I noticed his weaknesses. I then briefly switched to Kirby, and then to my current main Marth. I rose to prominence in the group again, but that experience improved me and all of my friends.

So yeah. You should play some of us online if you want to spar. My NNID is Nintendrone42
To be honest. It really doesn't feel like i'm training when a fat penguin 2-stocks me in 1-1.

Nintendrone

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Nintendrone42
3DS FC
2535-3781-8442
Switch FC
SW 3369 4102 5813
To be honest. It really doesn't feel like i'm training when a fat penguin 2-stocks me in 1-1.
Do you have a capture device or means to use one? If so, upload some replays onto YouTube so we can help you analyze your game. Otherwise, play some of us online. We can't really give you direct advice unless we actually see you play.

Diamond DHD

Smash Journeyman
Do you have a capture device or means to use one? If so, upload some replays onto YouTube so we can help you analyze your game. Otherwise, play some of us online. We can't really give you direct advice unless we actually see you play.
Even if it's just a cheap camera on a cheap phone, as long as we can see what's going on then we can help out.

zackattack_056

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1521-3781-0029
The best strategy I've found is classic mode, every win increase difficulty by .5, practice.difficulty, rinse and repeat, and can you put sd card smash replays on youtube? That would.help me SO much.

Last edited:

KoM

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ReiTsubomi
3DS FC
2638-0679-1408
The best strategy I've found is classic mode, every win increase difficulty by .5, practice.difficulty, rinse and repeat, and can you put sd card smash replays on youtube? That would.help me SO much.
Classic mode is the absolute last place you should be practicing Smash competitively, are you joking?

StaffofSmashing

Smash Lord
NNID
Lolu83
3DS FC
1590-5734-6768
Win Streak: 57.80%
Decent?
No, not really.
I like to consider myself a half-decent player. I can tell what I'm to do next and quickly adapt to a new situation and configure a new plan once one of my original ideas fail. Then again, I play Ganon.

As I say "Giving up is only the cheap way out." Keep pushing at it.

AnchorTea

Smash Lord
NNID
AnchorageTea
Thank you for those who are willing to help. I should be able to record and upload on youtube sometime this week.

Morbi

Scavenger
Classic mode is the absolute last place you should be practicing Smash competitively, are you joking?
If it works for him, it works for him. Everyone practices different skills differently. I mean, it could not be worse than practicing in Smash Tour. *shivers*

Nintendrone

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Nintendrone42
3DS FC
2535-3781-8442
Switch FC
SW 3369 4102 5813
If it works for him, it works for him. Everyone practices different skills differently. I mean, it could not be worse than practicing in Smash Tour. *shivers*
Lol, true that. Smash Run/Tour is pretty much "watch random things happen and whoever wins is a crapshoot."

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
Learn to be adaptive. Watch your opponent carefully, you shouldn't feel the need to focus on your characters movements. Which comes with practice. Its just like playing guitar, you may have to look at your finger placement to make sure you are executing the chord right. Once you get familiar with it becomes something you don't even think about.

AnchorTea

Smash Lord
NNID
AnchorageTea
Ok guys. Here's the videos:

I was kinda hyped on adrenaline on this one. Also, I accidentally dropped the phone.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5OULs7XIck

This guy kept beating me all night until this happened.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoBLADOZCPo

Yoshi is so hard to deal with as Villager...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rZf-q6uAhk

I got a bit too lucky with this one...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_M--euC8ao

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZW-h1Pk896I

Ness!!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfmf_5OQA_8

Gosh I love Pit...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeT86HZgZus

I've only won against this guy once out of the 15 times we fought.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQ34hVYZ1U8

Electroshock!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAacTZ0TS1s

Dat aura sphere tho...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3AaeQVIxd4

AnchorTea

Smash Lord
NNID
AnchorageTea
Ok guys. Here's the videos:

I was kinda hyped on adrenaline on this one. Also, I accidentally dropped the phone.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5OULs7XIck

This guy kept beating me all night until this happened.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoBLADOZCPo

Yoshi is so hard to deal with as Villager...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rZf-q6uAhk

I got a bit too lucky with this one...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_M--euC8ao

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZW-h1Pk896I

Ness!!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfmf_5OQA_8

Gosh I love Pit...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeT86HZgZus

I've only won against this guy once out of the 15 times we fought.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQ34hVYZ1U8

Electroshock!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAacTZ0TS1s

Dat aura sphere tho...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3AaeQVIxd4
I'm expecting some replies soon...

Ticker

Smash Apprentice
Try using smashladder to play with people. I have been doing this with project m and asking for advice after the game and I've already improved a ton.

Conda

aka COBBS - Content Creator (Toronto region)
Honestly I'll open up for a moment -- I felt the same way not too long ago. I stopped playing For Glory a while ago, shortly after launch. I spent my time afterwards writing guides and helpful posts, making videos to spotlight other players, hosting tournaments and events, and so forth.

What helped me get back into competitive play, personally, is starting a For Glory series on my channel. I commentate my own matches live as I play them, and it forces me to be self critical and admit out loud, to the viewers, when I do something wrong or make a mistake, or what I could have done better. It fosters a constructive and laid-back atmosphere, which was what I needed. It may be what you need too!

If I can help other players improve while I commentate matches, that's the best outcome I could've hoped for. This discovery, for me, has rejuvenated my passion for playing competitive Smash. For Glory is a stomping ground, and you'll never know what to expect. This keeps me from stressing out too much, and sharing the matches and talking to my viewers keeps my spirits up.

I started this a couple of days ago, and it's allowed me to find a mindset and 'tone' that keeps me going, but also keeps my viewers invested in improving in Smash. Growing the Smash scene is my goal, so I'm really honoured whenever I can spend the time to record and upload new videos for the community. :)

If you're interested, here's the second episode.

Last edited:

Nintendrone

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Nintendrone42
3DS FC
2535-3781-8442
Switch FC
SW 3369 4102 5813
@ AnchorTea AnchorTea Your main issue is that you approach with unsafe things like dash attack and dair. Dash attacks are only safe on shield if they're quick and push you past grabbing range, like Yoshi's. Villager and Mega Man's dash attacks are more suited towards punishing dodges. Being above your opponent is a bad position, so dairs like Mega Man's are very risky. Villager's dair is relatively safe, though. Using grab to approach is also risky unless your grab is fast and has good range, like Sonic's. Villager's grab has good range but subpar speed, Mega Man's has terrible reach, and Pit's is average. Also be sure which throws do what. Villager's fthrow can be used as a killer when fresh, and most dthrows are good combo starters.

Make sure to be wary of priority. If a move does 10% more than another, the stronger one cancels the weaker one. If not, they both cancel. Some multihit moves only have one hit cancelled, so be careful. Many moves, usually projectiles, completely ignore priority. If an incoming move is safe on shield, try canceling it, preferably with something quick.

Be aware of stale moves. Moves used up to 9 moves ago will be weaker in both damage and knockback, so don't rely on using your finishers to rack up damage unless you're confident it will KO, like Upperdash Arm. Items and projectiles are completely unaffected by this.

For specific advice: Villager's fair/bair can juggle people offstage if comboed right. Try to avoid riding Lloid a lot, but have him out often unless they have a quick reflector. Don't use Timber for the tree, but for the gimping water or the killing axe. Dsmash and fsmash are both really risky, so use them sparingly.

Mega Buster can cancel weaker moves, and can annoy approaches. Fair and bair are both good approaches. Dair is only good offstage, never use it onstage. Rush preserves your double jump if you haven't used it.

Pit's arrows can annoy approaches. Be careful with Upperdash Arm, as it's punishable and vulnerable to being stale when you need it to kill. Guardian Orbitars can push and block normal hits and not just projectiles, but can temporarily break.

That's my advice after watching the vids.

AnchorTea

Smash Lord
NNID
AnchorageTea
@ AnchorTea AnchorTea Your main issue is that you approach with unsafe things like dash attack and dair. Dash attacks are only safe on shield if they're quick and push you past grabbing range, like Yoshi's. Villager and Mega Man's dash attacks are more suited towards punishing dodges. Being above your opponent is a bad position, so dairs like Mega Man's are very risky. Villager's dair is relatively safe, though. Using grab to approach is also risky unless your grab is fast and has good range, like Sonic's. Villager's grab has good range but subpar speed, Mega Man's has terrible reach, and Pit's is average. Also be sure which throws do what. Villager's fthrow can be used as a killer when fresh, and most dthrows are good combo starters.

Make sure to be wary of priority. If a move does 10% more than another, the stronger one cancels the weaker one. If not, they both cancel. Some multihit moves only have one hit cancelled, so be careful. Many moves, usually projectiles, completely ignore priority. If an incoming move is safe on shield, try canceling it, preferably with something quick.

Be aware of stale moves. Moves used up to 9 moves ago will be weaker in both damage and knockback, so don't rely on using your finishers to rack up damage unless you're confident it will KO, like Upperdash Arm. Items and projectiles are completely unaffected by this.

For specific advice: Villager's fair/bair can juggle people offstage if comboed right. Try to avoid riding Lloid a lot, but have him out often unless they have a quick reflector. Don't use Timber for the tree, but for the gimping water or the killing axe. Dsmash and fsmash are both really risky, so use them sparingly.

Mega Buster can cancel weaker moves, and can annoy approaches. Fair and bair are both good approaches. Dair is only good offstage, never use it onstage. Rush preserves your double jump if you haven't used it.

Pit's arrows can annoy approaches. Be careful with Upperdash Arm, as it's punishable and vulnerable to being stale when you need it to kill. Guardian Orbitars can push and block normal hits and not just projectiles, but can temporarily break.

That's my advice after watching the vids.
Thank you so much!

I also use DP, Palutena, Lucina, and Robin. Want me to upload videos of those?

Nintendrone

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Nintendrone42
3DS FC
2535-3781-8442
Switch FC
SW 3369 4102 5813
Thank you so much!

I also use DP, Palutena, Lucina, and Robin. Want me to upload videos of those?
If you want advice for them, of course! Although if I were you I'd trim your mains list a bit, as using more than 3 characters is bound to make you rust quickly (except Pit/DP as they're nearly identical). I might not be available tomorrow, but I'll definitely try to help. Also, if you feel my advice isn't helping, you can always try fighting me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom