• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I've been BRAWLIFIED!!

j.rob

Smash Apprentice
I after a year of straight brawling, I decided to dust off good old melee and play it to remember the good old days....

Good lord.....I suck at melee now.
I couldn't wd, shffl and I had numerous times where I just fell to my death due to the gravity.
Back in the day I was the shizzle, and I could own level 9's EASILY! But now I struggle to beat a level 6 link!

Has anyone else had a experience like this?

thekingsdinner666

Smash Apprentice
In that case you were probably never good at Melee to start out with. A year of brawling shouldn't make someone suck at Melee. And LVL 9's in Melee were easy as hell to beat.

n88

Smash Lord
I played Brawl before I played Melee, but I get what you're saying.
I went a few months without playing Soulcalibur and I canGuard Impact consistently anymore.

Zeruel21

Smash Journeyman
No kidding! It's really painful, given that I spent so much time working on AT's and whatnot. I can't even do a proper SHFFL anymore...It's mostly because of Brawl's buffering for me. My timing has gotten a little lazy, so I can't do any sort of fast movements. Besides that, it takes a while to remember the kind of hitstun you get after an attack and that you only have one airdodge that leaves you helpless. I was never competitive enough at Melee, and this only reinforces my decision to dedicate myself to Brawl.

Crazy_mofo213

Smash Lord
Playing between Melee and Brawl tends to throw me off a bit mainly due to the depth when compared to Brawl. I guess you "suck" because you just forgot how fast paced Melee is.

Apollo$

Smash Ace
I can never really go back to melee and I never really got into the AT's anyway, at least I learned how to wave dash a little bit, lol.

NintenJoe

Smash Ace
the only thing that I've lost through the process of brawlification (?word?) is the ability to waveshine consistently. I've retained pretty much everything else

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
It only takes me around 30 minutes to remember the timing for shffls, WDs, L canceling, grabbing with Z, etc. It's easy for me to get used to Melee I guess, but it's hard as hell to try to pick Brawl up after even a day (meaning pretty much a whole day filled with Melee) of Melee. It's pretty much the opposite for me.

I know some people can get more used to the switch after doing it for a while, and some people just can't do the switch without sucking at one after playing the other. It really has to do on how fast you can adapt I think, as I can remember the ATs etc, it just takes me a while to be able to do them again.

thekingsdinner666

Smash Apprentice
When I went back to Melee I had no problem SHFFLing, L-Canceling, WDing, DIing right, Wavelanding/Wavedashing, and ATs. Not very hard, except for I can't Sheik chain anymore. D:

Nicole

Smash Champion
I used to play Peach in Melee, but now that I play her in brawl it is quite a struggle to switch back to Melee and actually do anything good. Also...for some reason I can now use ZELDA in Melee rather well (which is terrible because Zelda's practically the worst character in that game). Doesn't make any sense.

Marthos

Smash Journeyman
I haven't really played Melee too much since brawl, but I've gotten it out for old time's sake before and completely sucked. I guess I never really got into all of the fancy stuff, but the game mechanics are completely different. Brawl seems to be a lot more fast-paced too.

Zeborg

Smash Cadet
Melee is far more fast-paced than Brawl could ever be (it's faster than Brawl+ also). But of course that doesn't mean it's any better or worse.

Project D

Smash Journeyman
I didn't play melee as competitively as I do on brawl since the only person that actually played me was my brother (which always won, it vice versa for brawl) and the computer, which isn't really as fun.
chances are that I go back to it, I'll do quite badly because of the time being away from melee.

ISMFOF

Smash Cadet
ive never had this problem. but then again, i only use melee now for black holes, those things are tight.

Spydr Enzo

Smash Ace
I have had an experience like this, very recently. I'm extremely nostalgic and I miss the good old days when everything was simple and me and my friends would spend our summer nights playing hundreds of games of Melee after a long, exhausting day outside. Now its all "school, and work, and parties, etc.". Brawl just doesn't stick like Melee does...

So, being stuck in the past like I am, I dug up Melee, shoved it in the disk drive, and let me tell you... IT FEELS GREAT!

kr3wman

Smash Master
The trick is to play Melee before playing Brawl. You won't **** up nearly as much and if you do it won't really impact your game. (comparing to the situation of someone playing Brawl and then playing Melee)

smasher32

Smash Journeyman
There was definitely a period where I had trouble switching back and forth. If you do it enough though, it becomes second nature.

But losing the skill to beat a lvl 6 computer? Come on...

Nixernator

Smash Ace
I have a similar thing, I'm an avid player of Smash 64. But I play much brawl competitively, the problem is that my aggressiveness from 64 makes me suck at brawl.
Whichever one you've played more will always be easy to come back to, the muscle memory will always be there, whereas the one you play less or not as competitively will be harder to "remember". I can not play 64 for weeks and still Z cancel, sh, dash dance etc etc well, whereas I'll come back to brawl and be screwing everything up and trying to Zcancel all my aerials.
The key is that to really find one you enjoy and don't really bother being tourny good at two. Unfortunately I'm not tourny good at the one I go to tournies for :p.

Mota

"The snake, knowing itself, strikes swiftly"
LOL I know what you mean...

Picked up melee, chose Young Link...Zaired without canceling, Attempted to quickdraw, Bair Chain, Up taunt..Faill

Top Bottom