• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Outer Heaven - Kept You Waiting Huh?! Snake Social Thread

Who are The Patriots?

• Zero, Ocelot, Big Boss, EVA, Sigint, and Para-Medic

• La-li-lu-le-lo. La-li-lu-le-lo. La-li-lu-le-lo.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
Return Snake and we'll give up Roy. No one will miss Roy.
No one would miss Roy? Do you realize how people were excited when his DLC was announced? Whenever a veteran gets cut from a Smash game, they get sad fans. That is why Sakurai needs everyone back in Smash 5 including Snake. But the Pokémon Trainer could be tricky considering how much better Charizard did without him and the game was better off without the transform gimmick. Zero Suit Samus doesn't have to run from the Smash Ball anymore. Bringing the Trainer and the transformations back could hurt certain characters. So if anyone deserves to be cut than anyone else, it's the Pokémon Trainer. He wasn't much of a fighter anyway. He was just there in the background while Squirtle, Ivysaur and Charizard were the playable fighters. Anyway, back to Snake. It would be great if he came back to Smash Switch and had new Codec conversations for each fighter. And if every third-party character could come back, it would be fun to have him fight Ryu, Cloud and Bayonetta. And hey, we could throw in Raiden from Playstation All-Stars into the mix.

Sorry man, but the "boy" is just another clone charcter, needed to be cut.
Roy is a semi-clone now, actually, and like Mewtwo, he is a very popular character within the Smash community in general who was popular enough to make it back after being cut. If you want to cut a Marth clone, then cut Lucina, who has extremely minimal differences from Marth compared to Roy.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
As far as which Fire Emblem character could get cut, I feel like it could go either way. Roy's popular enough among the Smash community to make a return, but he doesn't seem to be particularly popular outside of it. (going by the Fire Emblem games, he's generally seen as one of the worse lords gameplay-wise since he's really weak until the last chapter or two of the game)

Meanwhile, Lucina's really popular in the Fire Emblem fanbase, by my understanding, and Nintendo/Intelligent Systems told Koei Tecmo that she needed to be included in Fire Emblem Warriors. They wouldn't do that for just any character.

However, there are other topics dealing with whether or not characters should be removed, so this is getting off-topic.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Hopefully not his worthless (unless you only play break the targets, I suppose) side-special. I prefer the sleep dart from Project M.
I didn’t mind the Nikita. If it’s sped up it could be incredibly useful especially for off stage pressure and ceiling kills. Brawls was useless though, yeah.

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
Maybe Snake could bring along Raiden from Playstation All-Stars as a newcomer? I mean, we've got Cloud whose practically a Playstation character and since Metal Gear was represented in both Brawl and Playstation All-Stars, it could be awesome to see a character from Sony's fighting game come over to Nintendo.

SneakyBox

Smash Rookie
Guys, Hideo Kojima just retweeted a picture with snake behind a picture of Goku with bullet holes in it. Now this could be completely unrelated to smash, but one of guys behind Dragonball Z tweeted saying that they wanted Goku for smash. This could mean that Kojima still wants snake in smash.

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
Here is the Snake tweet.
Kojima wanted Snake back in the SSB4 days, when tensions were at the highest with Konami. Konami also tweeted some stuff during the ballot days themselves. The Sakurai-Kojima friendship have lead to a terrible misconception that people just go "nuh-uh, Snake will NEVER happen again because Sakurai wouldn't do Kojima wrong like that" whenever I bring Snake up. I know I'm crazy desperate for Snake, but I swear I'm not THAT insane in thinking he stands a chance in returning :laugh:

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
Well, if by some chance all the veterans come back with no cuts, Snake would be welcomed back.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
Here is the Snake tweet.
Kojima wanted Snake back in the SSB4 days, when tensions were at the highest with Konami. Konami also tweeted some stuff during the ballot days themselves. The Sakurai-Kojima friendship have lead to a terrible misconception that people just go "nuh-uh, Snake will NEVER happen again because Sakurai wouldn't do Kojima wrong like that" whenever I bring Snake up. I know I'm crazy desperate for Snake, but I swear I'm not THAT insane in thinking he stands a chance in returning :laugh:
Exactly. I mean Sakurai is a friend to a lot of japanese developer, since he is a veteran in the industry, and he still added Sonic in Brawl and Smash 4 even after his friend Yuji Naka, who personally requested Sonic to him, left SEGA before Brawl's development.

JackD2204

Smash Rookie
Add me to the supporters list plz

I feel like nobody saw snake coming in brawl, but he was a welcomed newcomer. Some people say that he did not fit into smash, but I completely disagree with that. Smash bros is a celebration of nintendo history and video game history in general, and it is for that reason that snake felt perfect for smash. Even if the ****ing john wick from fortnite made it into smash I would not care, as long as it is primarily and originally a video game character it has potential. I was never any good at snake but he is one of the most cool, badass, and unique characters to ever be in the smash family. I fully support his return. whether it be smash switch, DLC, or even the next smash game after this.

PF9

Smash Lord
Snake has done other things since leaving Smash. During the fall he plays in the NFL as a running back. He was just recently traded by the Ravens to the Packers.

But during the current off-season, Snake is doing a stand-up comedy tour. What he does each off-season changes.

That being said Snake should come back.

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
Snake has done other things since leaving Smash. During the fall he plays in the NFL as a running back. He was just recently traded by the Ravens to the Packers.

But during the current off-season, Snake is doing a stand-up comedy tour. What he does each off-season changes.

That being said Snake should come back.
What? Are there games having him doing that or is it a joke? I don't get it.

RosaPeach

Smash Journeyman
I want to see Snake come back but think he's so unlikely because of Koonami but how bout this there might be possibility that Kojima wont care if Sakurai put Snake in the roster because Kojima moves on working on Death Stranding. Yeah I want the brawl nostalgia. Hope that wont effect my boy Bomberman chances. Bomberman have way more Nintendo games than Metal Gear.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
I want to see Snake come back but think he's so unlikely because of Koonami but how bout this there might be possibility that Kojima wont care if Sakurai put Snake in the roster because Kojima moves on working on Death Stranding. Yeah I want the brawl nostalgia. Hope that wont effect my boy Bomberman chances. Bomberman have way more Nintendo games than Metal Gear.
Konami isn't really a problem. They love money and having your character in Smash is a great promotion. Just look at what it did for the Mega Man franchise.

I'm quite sure Kojima wouldn't have any problem with Sakurai adding Snake back in Smash. He still loves his creations, and he knows that Sakurai can represent both Snake and the Metal Gear series amazingly even without his input.
Heck, he even said that he would have liked to see Snake in Smash For even if he WASN'T involved in it :

-"I'm not working on that game, but I don't think it's likely [that Snake will return]. If Mr. Sakurai is watching this, hopefully we see Snake."

source: http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/03/14/kojima-open-to-snake-returning-in-super-smash-bros-for-wii-u

And if Sakurai doesn't want to create new content without his friend (which is unlikely), he already has the Brawl's content which was all approved by Kojima back then.

Also bringing back Snake wouldn't be a problem for Bomberman. Just look at :4megaman: :4ryu: and :4sonic::4bayonetta2:. Actually it might even help, since they would be already talking about licensing characters/content for Smash with Konami, which simplifies the process a lot.

Last edited:

Pallex

Smash Journeyman
Hideo Kojima is working on the Metal Gear movie as evident with his "scheming" with the director, so he isn't too busy to do other things.

ThiagoCavalcanteCarvalho

Smash Apprentice
Despite the difficulties of including him and the problems around him, I believe Snake should never have left the game. He opened an important door in the series when he invaded it as only a legend of infiltration would do.

Yooran

Smash Rookie
I will support him. I never tought I would miss him so badly.
You never know you'll miss something till it's gone

Once a Smash Brother always a Smash Brother! Who cares if Konami has become corrupt beyond repair? **** Konami! We don't need 'em. Snake's presence in Smash has always been important regardless of outside circumstances. The very character to mark as the first third party representative in Smash history. Preferably I would like to see the Metal Gear IP given to Kojima so that the evil Konami no longer has their grubby hands on it. We'll take care of those details at some point. But for now, Snake for Smash!
I don't think that's possible, but let's pray

Snake, come back, we miss you :snake::snake::snake::snake::snake::snake: you too Wolf :3:wolf::wolf::wolf::wolf::wolf::wolf:

Kept you waiting, huh?
Snake for Smash Switch!

Welcome to Outer Heaven

If you're even a little familiar to Smash Bros. odds are you know about Snake. Here's a few things to
jog your memory.

Solid Snake is the Legendary Hero of Fortune. Known across the world for his stealth action video games that have been going strong since 1987!

He was first introduced to the Smash Community in Super Smash Bros. Brawl for the Nintendo Wii. Tragically he was cut from the roster of the newest Super Smash Bros. Games and has since been nearly forgotten.

This is Snake. Who are you calling 'forgotten'?

Well, erm, you weren't in the newest-

Listen I don't need some cookie cutter Smashboards Moderator telling my life story so just shut up and let me handle this!

OK, now that he's out of the way let me give you a few reasons why I NEED to come back.
  • I have one of the most Unique movesets in the entirety of Brawl. Name ONE other character that has my arsenal of weapons, traps, gadgets, and explosives. I control the battlefield and the one who controls the battlefield controls history.
  • I became one of the most hyped announcements in Smash Bros. History. Not only did news of my inclusion echo across the web, my inclusion opened up the doors for many other characters to come! Sonic? Mega Man? Pacman? Ryu? Cloud? I was the first. I'm no hero but I am the one who welcomed in 3rd Parties.
  • I'm a Veteran. In a situation where it's a whole new game or even just a port I am viable in both.
  • Nanomachines.
OK, well fair enough but you're not really a Nintendo Character are you?

What do you want? My resume? Here!

Metal Gear - NES
Snake's Revenge - NES
Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake -MSX(but received a Virtual Console port)
Metal Gear: Ghost Babel - Game Boy Color
Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes - Nintendo GameCube
Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater 3D - Nintendo 3DS
Super Smash Bros Brawl - Nintendo Wii
Dream Mix TV: World Fighters - Nintendo GameCube
Boktai 2: Solar Boy Django - Game Boy Advance
Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia - Nintendo DS
Scriblenauts(surprising, right?) - Nintendo 3DS(Japanese version only)
New International Track & Field - Nintendo DS
Yu-Gi-Oh! 7 Trials to Glory: World Chanpionship - Game Boy Advance
Evolution Skateboarding - Nintendo GameCube
Good enough for you?

Hm, well that is a lot of games... But you're from an M rated game that uses REAL life weapons! You're too violent for this game!

ARE YOU KIDDING ME?
Are you really trying to use that excuse on me while Bayonetta is prancing around half naked with pistols strapped to her heels?! Listen. I left my guns at home in Brawl, I can leave at home again if that makes you feel better.

But Bayonetta is more fantasy than you! You wouldn't fit in!

Does Bayonetta fit in with Kirby? Does Marth fit in with Samus? Does Wii Fit Trainer fit in with Mr. Game & Watch?
NO!
That's the entire point!

Well, fine but you weren't all that popular in Brawl anyways!

You were saying?

Well, you know what? Konami sucks! They wouldn't put you in even if you were really popular.

Hm, wasn't there a Konami game released for the Switch Launch? Wasn't it exclusive? Wasn't it the best selling game in the franchise after 20 years? The name of the game slips my mind...
Oh, yeah.

Listen, there are just way too many 3rd parties in the game. There's no way they would add another!

Hm, you may have a point but that won't stop people from supporting Rayman. Or Shovel Knight. Or Geno. Why should it stop them from supporting me?

Alright, you win. How can I help?

Keep this thread alive, don't scatter the ashes of the previous thread to the heartless sea, make Diamonds from their ashes. We are Diamond Dogs.

...Ok.

Once a Smash Brother, always a Smash Brother!

Extras!

Snakes Announcement E3 2006
Snakes Character Trailer
Snake Cutscenes

Special Thanks:
Scoliosis Jones and @LIQUID12A for the Original Snake Thread
@Swampasaur for compiling the games in which Snake appeared on Nintendo consoles
@JamesDNaux for the first signature icon
@HylianHeroBigBoss for the ticket stub sig icon
@N3ON for the Snake support icon
@Zajice and @Captaincrisb for the Snake splash pic

Metal Gear Music Monday
Welcome, Diamond Dogs, to the first Metal Gear Music Monday! And first announcement update of the Snake thread!
I'd like to start out the Monday's with one of my favorite all-time Musical Compositions. A Metal Gear 25th Anniversary Tribute by Composer Daniel James!
My favorite thing about this composition is the way James managed to flawlessly interweave the Peace Walker, Metal Gear Solid, and Metal Gear Saga themes. Enjoy! And be sure to leave me your feedback on today's announcement!

Top Tier Tuesday
Welcome, Diamond Dogs to the first ever Tuesday announcement of the Snake Thread!

We're going to take a look at one of the very best Snake Players and Smash players in general, Circa 2014!
Ally vs. Shogun!
Ally was known in Brawl for his sporadic but tactical use of Snakes grenades very rarely opting to liter the ground with mines Ally would traditionally drop grenades all over the battlefield instead!
Wild Card Wednesday
Today's update will be about a lack of an update! In fact a lack of an update about this game:
Metal Gear Survive has become, quickly, the most hated game in the Metal Gear Franchise beating out Metal Gear NES and Snake's Revenge!

I wanna talk about why it's so despised and what could have happened to it.

The reasons for the game being despised are easy. No Kojima, coming out after Kojima left, reusing assets from MGSV's Afghanistan (and I'm talking a lot of assets), overall change of genre, no Snake, and none of the humor and charm of all the previous games.

So, what happened? We all know that when Metal Gear Survive was announced Konami was going through a rough patch (understatement). Fan and critics panned the game in just about every one of its flaws from day one. Konami could have decided to pull it back to reevaluate the game and study what the consumer wants. They could have decided the game needs time to sit out so as not to cause more backlash. They could have decided that another product needed to be out before Survival. Or they could have cancelled it outright.

What do you guys think? Is Metal Gear Survive gone?
Personally, I'm not a big fan of the game but I don't really see them outright cancelling it. If anything, they figured out that if they don't regain their loyal fans, the game won't sell at all. That's just what I think.
Each day of the week will be a spotlight day!
Starting on Monday the 27th of March each weekday will spotlight different parts of the Metal Gear and Smash Communities!

Weekly Schedule!
Metal Gear Music Mondays
Highlighting Remixes and original songs based on the Metal Gear Franchise
Top Tier Tuesdays
Highlighting old (or new) Smash matches showing some crazy Snake Skill
Wild Wednesdays
This could be an update of anything and everything
Theater Thursdays
Highlighting the crazy, absurd, and downright awesome moments in Metal Gear History
Fan-art Friday
Highlighting the communities artists and their love for our Mercenary
Snake Appreciation Saturday
Highlighting one of the many quotes Snake has said throughout the franchise; quotes that make us laugh, cry, sympathize, and idolize Snake
NonSpecificSunday
My thoughts on anything that is going on in the community, a basic account. Or I might not update on Sunday at all. It's all based on my mood.
I am now crying tears of joy, thank you so, so much

Last edited by a moderator:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Konami has been strikingly silent for a long long time. I wonder what they've been up to. I heard Metal Gear Survive was a disaster in terms of sales. I mean, compared to other games, at least. Hopefully, they're restructuring.

lordvader256

Smash Rookie
Heard news that is quite exciting...

A leaker who has been correct multiple times in the past, for instance, predicting the Ninja Turtles in Injustice 2, has stated the names of 3 new fighters coming to Smash for Switch; Ridley, the Ice Climbers, and...
Simon Belmont.

I know what you’re probably thinking; this is the death knell of Snake’s chances for Smash. However, it’s quite the opposite. This is the closest we’ve ever come to him being confirmed.

Belmont is from Konami, one of the biggest obstacles people have stated that will keep Snake off the table. Boom. Wrong.

Kojima has always supported Snake’s return, and if Konami is fine putting Belmont in, that opens a lot of doors. What makes me think that, if this leak is right, we will have Snake is the fact that it would be INCREDIBLY stupid on their part if they did not take this opportunity to put him back in. He is a beloved character, but most importantly, he has already been in Smash. Nintendo likely has assets ready to go as well.

As always, though, take leaks with a grain of salt. This leak could be entirely wrong (but I don’t believe that is the case).

Link to article with original leak post: https://www.eventhubs.com/news/2018...-are-coming-super-smash-bros-nintendo-switch/

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord

A leaker who has been correct multiple times in the past, for instance, predicting the Ninja Turtles in Injustice 2, has stated the names of 3 new fighters coming to Smash for Switch; Ridley, the Ice Climbers, and...
Simon Belmont.

I know what you’re probably thinking; this is the death knell of Snake’s chances for Smash. However, it’s quite the opposite. This is the closest we’ve ever come to him being confirmed.

Belmont is from Konami, one of the biggest obstacles people have stated that will keep Snake off the table. Boom. Wrong.

Kojima has always supported Snake’s return, and if Konami is fine putting Belmont in, that opens a lot of doors. What makes me think that, if this leak is right, we will have Snake is the fact that it would be INCREDIBLY stupid on their part if they did not take this opportunity to put him back in. He is a beloved character, but most importantly, he has already been in Smash. Nintendo likely has assets ready to go as well.

As always, though, take leaks with a grain of salt. This leak could be entirely wrong (but I don’t believe that is the case).

Link to article with original leak post: https://www.eventhubs.com/news/2018...-are-coming-super-smash-bros-nintendo-switch/
And the leak also said there would be no cut characters. If this is true, that would make Snake confirmed. The Ninja Turtles leak is impressive. Who would of thought they would show up in a DC fighting game? Personally I don't like the idea of third-party characters in Injustice. That game should stick to the DC Universe characters. But in Smash, I'd welcome just about any character. Though Pokémon Trainer bringing back transformations really makes me worry about Zero Suit Samus. Her Gunship final smash is way better than her Power Suit final smash. Well, at least Snake can't be affected by the transformation gimmick. But if everyone is coming back and Ridley and Simon Belmont joins them, that'll be awesome!

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500

Simon Belmont.

Exactly. And even if he misses the base roster, bringing him in as DLC would be easier thanks to Konami being already involved.

Cool Guy 36

Smash Journeyman
Didn't it's say that in the article, that there would be no cut characters from Smash 4? Anyway, I'm not going to believe this leak unless if it become true. So, I'm taking this with a grain of salt.

Last edited:
Top Bottom