• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Its my Birthday! Good and Bad News Here!

shrinkray21

Smash Ace
Hey guys, I just turned 21!!! *Woooooh*...so I decided to make a thread that i've always wanted to make and its kinda useless so today no one can yell at me about spam :D...

So here's the good news - there is a tournament at my house this weekend and I expect to have lots of videos for you guys!

Bad News - and this has been hinted for a while - this will be my last tourney videos so we better make em count - I will post a thread explaining later.

WHAT THIS THREAD IS FOR:

1) I want to hear the coolest thing that you have done with olimar - none of this "I went 0-death on this ganon" I mean funny funny stuff, I know you guys got it in you.

2) Who is your favorite olimar to watch on videos and why????

3) What do you guys want to improve about the olly forums?

K, I don't know why, but for some reason, true spam really makes me mad, so this has to have at least some use!

ANSWERS LOOK LIKE THIS:

1) I once had a DK edgeguarding, I used up air to up b and killed him at 14 damage - deserved it for holding onto the edge :p

2) Shanus - b/c he plays most like me and I love raw olly aggression :D

3) I would love the option to lock threads that have already been posted - and every person who posts "Olly is for N0obz0rs" should simply be banned from the olly forums ;)

There you go enjoy :p

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Congrats on your 21st! Last tourney? Good luck. Anyways, for whatever reason you're quiting, I know we'll all miss you. It's sad to see people that have been here for months leave though. You were one of the only originals who stuck with Olimar since the beginning like I did. Well,

1.) coolest thing eh? I picked up Olimar originally when I realized that this game revolved much more around defense than anything else. I loved the Pikmin game series, and he fit my playstyle. So I picked him up. I can't leave him now. I don't know what character I'd pick up if I didn't main Olimar. If he got banned or somethin, I'd probably quit brawl entirely. Well, my coolest moment that comes to mind would probably be a collaboration of all of the faces of my opponents that I've killed with my aggressive edgeguarding.(spikes. lol) It's great to see them stare in horror at the sight. They'll twitch sometimes and I'll just lose it. ^___^ My favorite spike was one where both my opponent and I were on our last stocks and I hit him off the stage pretty far out. It was against pit. So I new he'd get to recover. I full jumped totally off the stage with the two pikmin I had and fast falled straight at him ftw.

2.)Actually, I'm not being nice when I say this. I'm being honest. Probably you, protoman, and mr. x are my favorite to watch. Very unique and differing styles of play. I learned a lot above the different spectrum of play from y'all.

3.)I'd like our true potential to be unveiled. Like, I really think Olimar should be top tier, but he's so horribly unbalanced towards the cast in the tourney scene (a couple big disadvantages and the rest are mostly pretty sick advantages) I'd like to see some pikmin ATs to be discovered such as the pikmin desynch. That'd put Olimar above and beyond characters like rob and wario IMO.

~DanGR

shanus

Smash Hero
Happy birthday man, hopefully you'll remember it ;-). You'll be missed from the smash scene if you are leaving it, but I'm sure you've got good reason so best of luck and make us proud at the tourney.

1. my favorite olimar kill unfortunately never got recorded on video but it was probably one of my funniest kills ever on ness. My pikmin line had 3 purples in it and when i hit him off the edge i repeatedly gimped his recovery with SH purple toss right when he pk thundered, then another purple toss as i jumped off the stage and hit him pk thundering again, and then the third to knock him further for overkill with another purple. Best sniping ever.

2. I'd have to say you and mr. x. You have a very similar playstyle and dont screw around being campy and defensive like most olimar players. It makes it fun to watch and gives me new ideas on how to play my similar style olimar, you know your ****

3. More ATs to be discovered really like the desync. I was hardcore technical in melee and really want to see more dynamic play evolve for olimar. I love his playstyle and want it to further develop.

shrinkray21

Smash Ace
Yeah, I'm glad you two posted!!! I love you guys - thanks for the compliments...

OH and BTW - this isn't my last tourney - just my last videos to probably be posted. I'll post more info on this later - but I've been toying with the idea of leaving the olly forums and moving to a different character forum - i'll explain much more later...but remember...

NOT quitting brawl - i love it too much :D

and I agree with shanus - i miss techs...but when i post my next vids, you'll see some tricks I use to make me think its more tech than it is.

Olimarman

Smash Ace
Happy Bday dude. It's a shame to hear that someone who has given so much support and has shared so much knowledge with the forums potentially leave. I'm sure everyone will miss you.

1. My favorite ko actually happened yesterday when I unintentionally recreated the pikmin desync with a purple pikmin against my friend.

2. My favorite to watch? You, Mr X. and I enjoyed Rocann's 4 or so videos also. Your playstyle is similar to mine and I just enjoy watching good Olimar's overall.

3. I'd like to see if the pikmin desync can become an AT. Olimar's attack range is already overpowered, so lets make it even more overpowered. :-)

asob4

Smash Champion
hmmm happy birthday, i respect you even though you dislike my flaming of SWF >_> lol

1. on a marth, he came out to edge guard me. i used up b while he was under me for 8% then i ledge hopped dair'd and he died at 23% :D i have it saved on replay but my friend hasn't gotten to recording it yet
it was epic :D

2. mr. x. i love his playstyle and his mind games are amazing. and i started basing some of my playstyle off of him and mixed it with mine.

3. i want oli to be recognized as top tier by the rest of the community. i see people marking him as mid tier and that makes me sad
i recently compiled all his match ups from the AiB discussion and we concluded that he has 16 advantages and 13 neutral/undecided due to experience. he only has 7 true disadvantages. one of the ones he has advantage over is the best character in the game, going 60-40 against snake.
he needs more recognition so we need to start ******.... more :D get some more respect for the little spaceman slavedriver

WhoseReality?

Smash Apprentice
Hey Happy Birthday! Definitely rock out hard for your 21st. Your situation sounded a lot like mine. I'm leaving for Japan (not anything brawl related) in less than 2 weeks and so after Mass Madness X this weekend I'm pretty sure my brawl days will be over. Actually, getting ready has meant less and less brawl lately and so it'll be a miracle if I show up to the tourney with my A game. It's been fun though sharing ideas with you all and appreciating this awesome character.

1. Here's a cool story: I won a "2 days after release" Tourney with Olimar. After my first match (after playing for 48 hours straight) people were freaking out. "How did you get so good with Olimar in 2 days!!" Olimar and myself put the fear of god in a bunch of college players. Wish that was still the case today.

2. I was a big fan of Echo's recent videos. DanGR had some good ones, you too definitely. Bummed I never had any to post. Maybe I'll score some this weekend and throw them up as a farewell.

3. As most others have said, more respect for Olimar. But specifically with his recovery for me. That's kind of been the biggest thing for me. You don't need 6 jumps to make it back to the stage (kirby). It'd be great if people didn't think it killed him as a character. It just takes effort.

Awex

Smash Lord
1. Most recent tournament, this one set.

I'm facing an Ice Climbers player. I've put about 40% on his stock and taken about 80%. He chaingrabs me all the way to edge of the stage and dthrow fair spikes. I up b at the perfect time and my tether hits the edge, I pull myself up and my ledge attack knocks nana off the stage and popo towards the stage, I SH dair spike Nana and take his next two lives without taking another hit because he was pretty much in shock I lived that stock. ;D

Game 2 he goes wolf. I'm getting camped and it's 1-1 stock with him up by like 80%. I'm getting edgeguarded and he's holding onto the stage and I'm out of jumps. I fastfall towards him, whistle his ledge-dropped bair, up b and stage spike/edgehog him. It was pretty epic cause there was a small crowd both games. :D

2. Mr X. His style of playing by predict and punish has changed my play quite a bit.

3. idk, I think it's fine how it is as long as there are consistent tournament-going Olimar mains answering questions.

M3zm3r1z3

Smash Apprentice
1. I won a FFA using no pikmin lol
2. Mr. X because he's the only Olimar I consider better than myself, only olimar i'd figure i'd learn something from.
3. wish there was a good matchup thread against metaknight and which of olimar's moves outprioritizes which of Metaknight's etc.

Rocann

Smash Lord
1. throwing a white pikmin under BF after I was going to die in doubles, and it hits a ness on the other side that is recovering to gimp him
2. I don't watch brawl videos unless it's about a new technique or something and they always turn out useless anyway
3. i wish more people came to it and asked questions

I haven't had enough videos posted to have people enjoying mine :( me vs mr x dittos are good but they are only 2 videos, too little to make a judgment. I should record some more

shrinkray21

Smash Ace
Thanks for the posts guys - I woulda signed onto here last night - but I passed out at 8pm!! woops :D

Just a note for people saying that olly needs more dap...he's currently RANKED 5th in ALL OF BRAWL.

He's getting respect from the right people - and I don't like it...its easy to beat people when they don't know how to fight olimar.

R1ngo

Smash Journeyman
As a friend of shrinkray's i'd like to post an excerpt from the evening of the 12th. "You guys are such troopers.... hoahhahahhahahaa, hoaahahahahaha. ..... Ringo you missed,....... Deal with it." Great fun to be had all around

My fav kill i've had on shrink is bairing him offtstage with ddd, then spiking him with ddd up b immediately after he loses super armor from gaining new life , ok thats 2 but still fun

i think olimar is a great character but purple pikmin should all go to hell

i like your olimar boards, people actually help each other

asob4

Smash Champion
Thanks for the posts guys - I woulda signed onto here last night - but I passed out at 8pm!! woops :D

Just a note for people saying that olly needs more dap...he's currently RANKED 5th in ALL OF BRAWL.

He's getting respect from the right people - and I don't like it...its easy to beat people when they don't know how to fight olimar.
actually he's ranked tenth now and the only reason he was up there is cause the 10 people who actually take him to tourney

shrinkray21

Smash Ace
what's that supposed to mean >_>
i don't play out of east coast...i don't play on west coast...i play mostly the same people over and over - and no one here even knows olly's moveset really. I don't think that midwest smash is the best indicator of olly's tier listing :D

Plus - I play around 4-5 tourneys characters currently and could do up to 20...so when i do well in a tourney, it shows many characters.

asob4

Smash Champion
i seee
none in midwest i could think of
quite a bit in so cal
i go to tournies every week it seems >_> lol
usually just oli/gnw

keeper

Smash Champion
1.) I was playing this Lucario two days ago. He kept trying to ledgehop, and every time he did, I'd meteor him. Though it didn't always kill because sometimes he hit the stage, but I got him three times. That and I also beat his MK. MKs are so hard with Olimar. @_@

2.) I mostly enjoy watching Mr. X. He inspired me to be more aggressive.

3.) For the forum, I'd like to finish my guide and word it better and hope people become further educated and get those stupid myths of Olimar debunked.

Edit: My birthday is in a day. =D

shrinkray21

Smash Ace
1.) I was playing this Lucario two days ago. He kept trying to ledgehop, and every time he did, I'd meteor him. Though it didn't always kill because sometimes he hit the stage, but I got him three times. That and I also beat his MK. MKs are so hard with Olimar. @_@

2.) I mostly enjoy watching Mr. X. He inspired me to be more aggressive.

3.) For the forum, I'd like to finish my guide and word it better and hope people become further educated and get those stupid myths of Olimar debunked.

Edit: My birthday is in a day. =D
congrats on your birthday, hopefully you remember more than i did for mine :D

Puddin

Smash Lord
Uhm I actually just did this funny thing with a friend of mine who mains Mario.

I don't know exactly how to start this off so I'll just say exactly what happened :ohwell: I tried to grab my friend with a Blue Pikmin, and at the same time he used his magical Mario Cape which flipped me around but my Blue Pikmin was still going in for the grab so I ended up grabbing him while I wasn't even facing him which got me confused because I didn't know which way to throw him for a Back Throw...

Dotcom

Smash Lord
Why Shrink why *cries boo hoo* Gonna miss you, just cause you were that good.

1) This Pit i was playing was talking soo much trash during our match even though i was winning most of it. I made a mistake went for a spike during his WoI missed, and got gimped -_-.

He got me off again and he started trash talking again before the match even was over because he was still edge hogging, I spiked him with an ^B with a red at the tip, and he **** up and left my house because it was $5 money match :D.

2)Youu!(sorry for soulja boy joke)inspiration to play Olimar when I got here because i was thinking of maining wolf(Fail!).

3) How we can make De-Synching work.. or if.I'd like more people to critique my videos(jk ..i think). And for the spam threads like Olimar.. is he really that powerful? to stop so we can make our thread look i don't know cleaner. Also for Dr.Hyde to get back to work at latch max! lawl, and for people to help him.

shrinkray21

Smash Ace
Why Shrink why *cries boo hoo* Gonna miss you, just cause you were that good.

1) This Pit i was playing was talking soo much trash during our match even though i was winning most of it. I made a mistake went for a spike during his WoI missed, and got gimped -_-.

He got me off again and he started trash talking again before the match even was over because he was still edge hogging, I spiked him with an ^B with a red at the tip, and he **** up and left my house because it was $5 money match :D.

2)Youu!(sorry for soulja boy joke)inspiration to play Olimar when I got here because i was thinking of maining wolf(Fail!).

3) How we can make De-Synching work.. or if.I'd like more people to critique my videos(jk ..i think). And for the spam threads like Olimar.. is he really that powerful? to stop so we can make our thread look i don't know cleaner. Also for Dr.Hyde to get back to work at latch max! lawl, and for people to help him.
as of right now, i'm not going anywhere...the community has really really picked up in the past week or two and i want to be here to help.

IcyLight

Smash Lord
1) I want to hear the coolest thing that you have done with olimar - none of this "I went 0-death on this ganon" I mean funny funny stuff, I know you guys got it in you.

Ok the level was pictochat. Imagine vsing a snake and he pressured you to stand still holding your shield soo much he pushed you 1/8 of the level towards the edge and then broke your shield. You immediately fly upwards in a tumbling motion as snake starts to charge his rocket full charge for the lulz. As you fall you hit the SLANTED EDGE (and you breaking shield in tourney match signals spam spam spam try to get a random attack!). Well. I Did get a random attack. As i hit the stage slant it stopped me from being shield broken, it pushed me off the stage and i immediately faired him. And since he was at 200% and it was red--GG SNAKE! GG last stock last match of set. GOGO OLI!

2) Who is your favorite olimar to watch on videos and why????
Don't really watch videos. I look much faster than i thought i was though when i watched a replay of myself once.

need more matchup threads. We have a lot of stuff like "help me with ike! please!", or myself with "help with zamus". We should get 1 forum that's updated daily rather than "TODAYS WEEKLY MATCH UP IS 'err.-"

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
need more matchup threads. We have a lot of stuff like "help me with ike! please!", or myself with "help with zamus". We should get 1 forum that's updated daily rather than "TODAYS WEEKLY MATCH UP IS 'err.-"
umm...thanks?

Fino

Smash Master
1) Coolest thing I have done with Olimar.... hmmm. Mostly my purple pikmin kills (example http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUzzgnrOczE ) the tasty deliciousness of any pikmin gimp, whether landing one on ike before his quick draw, or ness before he does pika thunder.... IC on the tether recovery, and my favorite of all time is the purple pikmin ledge spike (which I've only done on characters like falco and marth who believe their bair is better than just holding onto the ledge to kill oli ^_^ [video soon]).
Pretty much dealing back well deserved gimps in odd forms are my favorite things with olimar.

2) You, shanus, and I remember some obscure brazilian guy made a 'combo video' awhile ago that I found really interesting. Pretty much any legit player who has some decent stuff to learn from.

3) just meta game in general I guess. pikmin de-syncing has the most potential right now (thanks to shanus I pulled 2 desyncs off in wifi friendlies a couple days ago ^_^ )

~Fino

Top Bottom