• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

It's hypocritical to support Ganondorf getting his sword yet also support Zelda losing her Light Arrow

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Also, pretty much all of Sonic's more "unique" moves are circumstancial, require outside assistance, or in the case of Boosting, can be simulated easily enough with a Run Impact spirit.
Boost. Light Speed Dash. Blue Tornado. Axe Kick. Stomp. Bounce. Fire Somersault. Slide. Sonic Wind. Drop Dash. Elemental Shields. Peel-Out. Insta Shield. I could keep going but I think you get my point-there's a lot of abilities Sonic could use in Smash. They may be circumstantial in some cases (like Sonic Wind) but that doesn't matter, it can still be used as inspiration for a move in Smash. None of these require outside assistance, at least to my knowledge. And telling me Boost can be simulated with a Run Impact spirit is like telling me Bomberman is already in Smash because you can play his Mii Costume and use X Bombs only.
Waiting for Eggman to do something stupid and then punish him for it describes 70% of the fights with him. Also very ironically, the best strategy to use against Shadow in the final level of Adventure 2.
That's just his fights with bosses. If that were the case, Mario would be a campy character too because many of his boss battles are essentially the same thing. It would be more accurate to his home series if Sonic's playstyle didn't have a move that made the game slow to a halt-that's not Sonic's style. He should still have the Spindash of course, but it should be nerfed or altered in a way where his entire playstyle doesn't revolve around it. The whole thing about Sonic games is knowing a level and blasting through it as fast as you can. I don't know how they could make that work, but if they made Steve feel natural in Smash they can surely do it for anyone.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Boost. Light Speed Dash. Blue Tornado. Axe Kick. Stomp. Bounce. Fire Somersault. Slide. Sonic Wind. Drop Dash. Elemental Shields. Peel-Out. Insta Shield. I could keep going but I think you get my point-there's a lot of abilities Sonic could use in Smash. They may be circumstantial in some cases (like Sonic Wind) but that doesn't matter, it can still be used as inspiration for a move in Smash. None of these require outside assistance, at least to my knowledge. And telling me Boost can be simulated with a Run Impact spirit is like telling me Bomberman is already in Smash because you can play his Mii Costume and use X Bombs only.

That's just his fights with bosses. If that were the case, Mario would be a campy character too because many of his boss battles are essentially the same thing. It would be more accurate to his home series if Sonic's playstyle didn't have a move that made the game slow to a halt-that's not Sonic's style. He should still have the Spindash of course, but it should be nerfed or altered in a way where his entire playstyle doesn't revolve around it. The whole thing about Sonic games is knowing a level and blasting through it as fast as you can. I don't know how they could make that work, but if they made Steve feel natural in Smash they can surely do it for anyone.
- Light Speed Dash: requires a trail of Rings, and unlike Pac-Man, Sonic isn't characterized in Smash as an arcade themed reality warper. The one exception in his spring is probably a necessary one as he would not have a vertical recovery otherwise.

- Blue Tornado: Possible if we look at the Sonic Heroes version, but wouldn't a stationary trap make Sonic campier than he already is?

- Stomp: his current down air is pretty much the same thing. Ditto with Insta-Shield and Nair or Fire Somersault and dash attack; if anything the fire would just be a hindrance against Blast Boxes or TNT.

- Drop Dash: Superfluous when Spin Dash and Charge can already be used in the air in Smash. In fact, would you not say these versions are the precursor to that?

- Elemental Shields: Pokemon Trainer in Brawl proved why elemental matchups are bad, when some characters reliant on one could be unreasonably screwed over by one. If you just mean the moves they grant, the fire one could be a reasonable alternative, but it could also unintentionally remove one of Sonic's current main weaknesses, a so-so disadvantage.

- Peel-Out: This move is only necessary due to Sonic games relying on momentum. Such a thing would be painfully clunky in a fighting game, so it's better that Sonic can instantaneously reach max running speed.

Really, none of these moves would significantly alter Sonic's current playstyle, even in best case scenarios where they're not just aesthetic changes. As long as Sonic remains the fastest character in the game by a significant margin, hitting and running is always going to be the best option in protracted engagements that simply cannot reflect normal Sonic level gameplay. I'm sure you can tear through stuff like Subspace Emissary levels the way you could Sonic levels though; that's probably a reason you get him last there.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Honestly, the only real changes I'd make to Sonic is remove the side special and give him something else, probably the boost (even if it means another gauge, oh joy) or some other alternative and rename his down special to spin dash. I don't mind him going into a ball for the few normal moves he does. That is kind of his main form of attack, and he doesn't even do it that much anymore. Two spin dashes is pretty weird though. I mean, I could get it while they were in a crunch I guess for Brawl, but it hasn't been changed yet which is a bit odd.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Honestly, the only real changes I'd make to Sonic is remove the side special and give him something else, probably the boost (even if it means another gauge, oh joy) or some other alternative and rename his down special to spin dash. I don't mind him going into a ball for the few normal moves he does. That is kind of his main form of attack, and he doesn't even do it that much anymore. Two spin dashes is pretty weird though. I mean, I could get it while they were in a crunch I guess for Brawl, but it hasn't been changed yet which is a bit odd.
It could just be that Sonic's insane speed is such a powerful quality that there needs to be a limiting factor. Limiting his moveset versatility is one way to do this. In Brawl they also made his attacks weak, but that ended up being overkill (there he was campy not because he could, but because that was his best hope for victory most of the time).

Arthur97

Smash Master
It could just be that Sonic's insane speed is such a powerful quality that there needs to be a limiting factor. Limiting his moveset versatility is one way to do this. In Brawl they also made his attacks weak, but that ended up being overkill (there he was campy not because he could, but because that was his best hope for victory most of the time).
I mean, doesn't have to be a good move, just something that isn't so...samey. Keep the rest the same (if anything give him back the ball for his dash attack). Not too picky on what, just something. Though, preferably something that is more of a staple.

asia_catdog_blue

Smash Ace
Honestly, I say the Triforce Trinity should all be compositie OC's, like in Hyrule Warriors and Cadence of Hyrule.

Arthur97

Smash Master
why not just use the hyrule warriors designs then?
For one, it seems there are some ownership issues. Notice how no Warriors content made Smash while even that TMS spinoff for FE did.

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
Honestly, I say the Triforce Trinity should all be compositie OC's, like in Hyrule Warriors and Cadence of Hyrule.
Nah, I think it's best that they stick with one canon design while incorporating some elements from the other incarnations.

That said, TP/OoT "Classic" Link should be an echo of current Link given that the two have some very distinct abilities.

Oracle Link

Smash Master
Nah, I think it's best that they stick with one canon design while incorporating some elements from the other incarnations.

That said, TP/OoT "Classic" Link should be an echo of current Link given that the two have some very distinct abilities.
I think having a Young Link is more important than than having 2 adult Links

Quillion

Smash Hero
I think having a Young Link is more important than than having 2 adult Links
Yeah, but Young Link is too fast, not as strong, and doesn't have the Master Sword. Not really a passable substitute in my book.

Oracle Link

Smash Master
Yeah, but Young Link is too fast, not as strong, and doesn't have the Master Sword. Not really a passable substitute in my book.
Of course not how about 4 costumes for Adult Link one from OOT one from TP one from Skyward Sword and of course BOTW

Quillion

Smash Hero
Of course not how about 4 costumes for Adult Link one from OOT one from TP one from Skyward Sword and of course BOTW
As I said before, BotW Link's abilities are far too distinct from classic Link's abilities to make that acceptable.

Quillion

Smash Hero
It's funny how Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity still continues the trend of making the Light Arrow signature to Zelda, yet still no one wants that to be reworked as a regular move for her in Smash in the future.

Top Bottom