• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Its a (frame) trap!

MythTrainerInfinity

Smash Champion
NNID
MTInfinity
3DS FC
2363-5671-9607
How do you frametrap your opponents as Lucario?
Not the type of trap that you are, FWK, ohohoho!

We know the obvious, lure opponent into jumping into FSmash or landing into Aura Sphere, but that isn't going to always work in high level play.

Talk about Tilts

FTilt is an amazing way to catch an opponent landing when you want to keep FSmash fresh.

Or what about just pushing a shielding opponent off the edge with the first hit of FTilt and forcing them to get hit by the second part?

DTilt I have not done so much practice frametrapping with, but looking at the data it looks like could work. Think of DTilting an opponent going for the ledge, its either they move away from the edge/airdodge or get hit by DTilt. Quite some disadvantageous positions we can put our opponents in at the ledge, no?

UTilt is very tricky, great startup, low damage, and covers a wide arc around you. Spam it and it'll easily be blocked. Great for a quick punisher for rollers and those who roll from the ledge.

Smashes:

FSmash, obviously this is often used to punish those in the air, but are we really pulling all of the mileage we can get out of this? Sttruterstep FSmashes give you a bit of control when aiming for that tipper kill.

DSmash, 17 frames startup really looks like meh, but honestly this really has a nice niche. 17 frames, think about that. What takes longer than 17 frames that someone is locked into doing? Rolls! We have the best rolls in the game, but still that takes 27 frames from start to finish. Think, do we always want to commit ourselves to doing things when we have 10+ frames (unless you are Meta Knight) to land a GTFO/kill move?

USmash is always fun to trap people for landing on platforms or ledge jumping opponents. The initial hitbox even outranges Link's DAir.

Thoughts?

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Ftilt needs to be learned more, because it still lands you a good amount of damage and when used properly has almost as much range as fsmash (in other words, can keep your fsmash fresh for when you want to kill). That and it's pretty much impossible to powershield. It's too slow to be used on reaction, you have to get whiffs/use it preemptively to work most of the time.

G-Beast

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4442-0111-1914
Dtilting at the edge needs a lot of practice... it ends so quickly it can be hard to utilize it for an edgeguard. All in all Dtilt is too good X)

Ftilt is too good and I agree with phil it needs to be learend a lot mooooore... but those who outrange it makes it tricky to use(Dk, marth ya know)

I wouldn't use Utilt for punishing edge rolls... it's kinda quick and I find Ftilt to be more reliable... or dair for that matter.

At decent %'s if you can land a Uair you can jump up and start some fair's or a neutral air unless they somehow see it coming and DI away from you in which case they still need to get to the edge

ohai gaiz

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
@ G-beast, watch how RJ uses it against Marth, you can use it to punish whiffed fairs even.

all the more to make it better :D

Welcome back, btw

Trela

Smash Lord
I am beyond salty right now. Razer hacked my account while I was playing Smash.....

Steam and FWK, edit your post and delete that Quote. I'm going to do "new things" to Razer when we play this weekend.....

Blacknight99923

Smash Champion
go dedede against razer that way you won't have problems with snakes or other lucarios ever again!!!!!!

G-Beast

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4442-0111-1914
Funny you say that phil 'cause I've been using against the marth/snake main I know and it works well if he mis-spaces his stuff even slightly X)

off-topic: my gawd the boards have fallen to chillism!!

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162

MythTrainerInfinity

Smash Champion
NNID
MTInfinity
3DS FC
2363-5671-9607

Oooohhhhh, it's a creepy Espeon...
Umbreon, thank you very much.

What happened to this thread...?

Anyways, air shenanigans.

NAir's hitboxes last for 19 frames, FAir 15, BAir 15, and DAir 11.

With that in mind let me ask you this...

Is DAir the best choice to always punish air dodgers under you? If we whiff we're vulnerable to many horizontal attacks. A fast fall NAir covers a wider area and can discourage some horizontal assaults, making it both defensive and offensive.

Battering an opponent's shield with DAir.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=259731

As you can see from Kinzer's thread we actually have a frame advantage (just +1, but hey it still counts!) at max Aura at even percents. So what can we do when we do not poke?

1. Save your second jump.
2. Footstool.
3. Attack again.

If you're against Marth or Meta Knight and DAir at 170% you better hope you poke or they have horrible shield DI.

We should test how far they are pushed back by DAir when shielding...

This makes me wonder even if at beyond killable %s if we should be playing with high risk, high reward playstyles.

culexus・wau

Purchased premium only to change name ><
You can count on everyone having horrible shield DI because no one cares save getting hit by the halberd laser

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
I saw a cool application towards shield DI, but it was very situational and it really only applied to some characters v. Ike lol
:>

Top Bottom