• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Items

Clownbot

Smash Lord
Surprisingly (or not, considering how many of you hate them :mad:) I haven't seen a thread for items yet, barring the one specifically created for Assist Trophy and Poke Ball discussion. I figured I'd make one for discussion on items in general - old items that we think should make a return
red shell
, or new items that would be cool to see.

...Like maybe a blue shell from mario kart that doesn't appear often but when it does it homes in on the character with the lowest % that would be so awesome right guys

Make it happen

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I think all items from previous smash bros. games should return, including all Pokéball Pokémon (minus Charizard; replace him with like :157 or some Pokémon like that), and all Assist Trophy characters that don't wind up being playable (replace those said Assist Trophy characters with similar characters from their franchises; also, give Donkey Kong an Assist Trophy character ALREADY). :mad:

But yeah, that and make items not freaking broken (with a few exceptions). Most items in smash 64 weren't too overpowered. In Melee, a few more items were broken. In Brawl, it seemed like every freaking item was broken, including the FREAKING FAN!!! :mad:

I want to be able to play a fun match with items occasionally, not a game where everything is about chasing down items (when items are turned on). :facepalm:

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
The E Tank from Megaman

As A Health Recovery Item.

(The Heart Container now recovers 100%, The Maximum Tomato now Recovers 50%, Maybe this Could be a Nice Balance and not overpowered recovery...say 10-25%?)
Food just doesnt recover enough health

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
I like the God Shell (Spiny Shell) idea. Seeing as it would be somewhat rare, why not give it beast knockback to emphasize how feared it was (and still is) in Mario Kart?

As for an item idea I can think of? I can see a Tanooki Leaf/P Wing as an item, giving the character the classic ears and tail, allowing them more jumps, and the ability to float down. I guess it could also replace their standard grounded A attack with a tail swing that can reflect projectiles, but that might be a little much to ask.

BSP

Smash Legend
Surprisingly (or not, considering how many of you hate them :mad:) I haven't seen a thread for items yet, barring the one specifically created for Assist Trophy and Poke Ball discussion. I figured I'd make one for discussion on items in general - old items that we think should make a return
red shell
, or new items that would be cool to see.
I would like to see the red shell, parasol, and cloaking device return.

And 64 Home run bat swings :troll:

...Like maybe a blue shell from mario kart that doesn't appear often but when it does it homes in on the character with the lowest % that would be so awesome right guys
The shell of evil :mad:

The E Tank from Megaman

As A Health Recovery Item.

(The Heart Container now recovers 100%, The Maximum Tomato now Recovers 50%, Maybe this Could be a Nice Balance and not overpowered recovery...say 10-25%?)
Food just doesnt recover enough health
How about 75%? 10-25% seems to low for an E tank.

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
Legitimately.

A Rock

Just imagine.

Mario is running at Link with his fireflower, but link snatches the hammer up and bashes Mario up and away before turning his attention on King DeDeDe, then out of nowhere.

Marth snatches up a ****ing rock from the ground and throws it at Link.

It doesn't knockback very far, it doesn't go away after it hits- it just bounces off and to the ground. It's a ****ing rock.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I think all items from the three previous games should return. The Parasol was quite handy sometimes.

The Super Leaf from SMB3 would fit nicely, given its return in more recent Mario games. Could replace the A combo to the character bashing with the tail, in which would help recovery if used as an aerial move. Would last more or less the same time as a Metal Box or a Super Mushroom.

Another good item would be the Mega Mushroom from New Super Mario Bros., which would be a rarer, more powerful version of the Super Mushroom: it would be like using a Super Mushroom in Giant Melee/Brawl. So one could imagine the catastrophic effect in THAT mode...

BSP

Smash Legend
Now that I think about, I'd be pleased if super Mushrooms and Megas if they make it in gave the user a little bit of heavy armor. It's really easy to get juggled constantly while you're big in anything bigger than a 2v2.

AIM0001

Smash Lord
Blue and Red Shell should return. I also want to see the return of the flipper as well!

As for new ideas how about this???

If you pick it up and throw it. The angry sun will help take out enemys. It can also be in its own box and you just break it open. If it dont work that way I guess make it an AT.

An Angry Sun first appeared in the game Super Mario Bros. 3 for the NES. Once you get to world 2 or world 8, you'll see a sun in the air, after a while, it will swoop down and try to attack you, if you time it right, you can escape if you jump.

After Super Mario Bros. 3, the Angry Sun hadn't appeared until 16 years later on the game Mario Kart DS for the Nintendo DS. He appears on the stage Desert Hills. Here he circles around in the air, then shoots fireballs at oncoming drivers, you of course can dodge them, but it can be tricky with up to 3 fire balls getting randomly thrown in your area. The stage was recreated in the Wii game Mario Kart Wii, in which the Angry Sun reappeared.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Master Ball

The Master Ball behaves exactly like an ordinary Poke Ball. However, unlike the Poke Ball, the Pokemon that the Master Ball releases will always be a legendary Pokemon.

This item is similar to the Golden Hammer in that it's less common to get than the Poke Ball.

BSP

Smash Legend
Blue and Red Shell should return. I also want to see the return of the flipper as well!

As for new ideas how about this???

If you pick it up and throw it. The angry sun will help take out enemys

An Angry Sun first appeared in the game Super Mario Bros. 3 for the NES. Once you get to world 2 or world 8, you'll see a sun in the air, after a while, it will swoop down and try to attack you, if you time it right, you can escape if you jump.

After Super Mario Bros. 3, the Angry Sun hadn't appeared until 16 years later on the game Mario Kart DS for the Nintendo DS. He appears on the stage Desert Hills. Here he circles around in the air, then shoots fireballs at oncoming drivers, you of course can dodge them, but it can be tricky with up to 3 fire balls getting randomly thrown in your area. The stage was recreated in the Wii game Mario Kart Wii, in which the Angry Sun reappeared.
That sounds more like an assist trophy

@MSG - Final Destination, Master balls only :smirk:

That would be interesting

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I'll bring back 1 year old item suggestion to this thread.

Launch Star

When appearing, they will float a little bit above the ground, while slightly tilted to the air. These are large enough for letting a player fit inside them.

A Launch Star can be activated by pressing A near it, much like Warp Star. When used, the player will be spinned briefly inside it, and launch powerfully away to the air at high speed, much like in Galaxy.

These Launch Stars however, give a five-second time of fast-moving, unlimited flight which can be directed very freely. (Think like Sonic's Final Smash expect you can fly around in any diagonal direction as well)
When flying, your player glows and seems to emit stardust around him. He also leaves a glowing path similar to shooting star: this looks like the translucent, glowing paths from Galaxy.

You can press A for a Star Spin which lets you deal decent damage and high knockback. Star Spin uses the quick starry energy seen from Galaxy when Mario used it, and technically is similar to Wing Ability's Gust Roll from Kirby Air Ride.

After five seconds the speed drops severely down and your character loses it's translucent, stardusty glow.This renders your character into helpless state. Be sure to find safe ground to descend on at this point or you'll plummet surely on your doom.

To prevent Launch Star's overpower, occasionally Launch Stars tend to break when you are just launching from them, making them crash on the ground comically. These broken Launch Stars then turn into Sling Stars, which lets your character get slinged off spinning, which can also be used as an attack (albeit weak.). This is similar to Barrel Cannon.

A Sling Star stays on the screen for 8 seconds.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
I can live without the Flipper and the Red shell. Losing the cloaking device was tough...But why did they have to take away the parasol? WHY? Also I liked how if you held the bob-omb in melee it wouldn't blow up. Seriously so long as you were holding it, its fuse wouldn't go off. A cool item would be those white puffballs from yoshi games that induce acid-trip affects on whomever consume them.

BSP

Smash Legend
Ignoring the matter that they can't, sure.
It doesn't knockback very far, it doesn't go away after it hits- it just bounces off and to the ground. It's a ****ing rock.
The Home run Bat does that now when it's thrown, except it knocks you far, which is a good thing.

Or what about Mr. Saturn? He fits that description aside from not being a rock.

BSP

Smash Legend
Ok, but you think they're going to go for something as simple as a rock?

Actually, now that you mention ZSS's suit pieces, an item that functions exactly like them would be nice for everyone to use. But still, a rock...anything else?

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
This thread has shifted into an all out war over Rocks as a possible item and what its properties would be. I for one am in favor of this crude weapon. Might I suggest that if said item is thrown into water it begins to skip?
Pertaining ssb64 bat swings, what's the difference?

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
honestly the blue shell needs to be in this game as well as the tatonki leaf

BSP

Smash Legend
This thread has shifted into an all out war over Rocks as a possible item and what its properties would be. I for one am in favor of this crude weapon. Might I suggest that if said item is thrown into water it begins to skip?
Pertaining ssb64 bat swings, what's the difference?
SSB64 bat swings are MUCH much faster than Melee and Brawl speeds.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings

Eggplant Bomb. I don't care what is added, as long as the Eggplant Bomb is one of them. Being able to turn your opponent into an eggplant would be pretty hilarious.

BSP

Smash Legend
Would they be totally incapacitated or could they do something while being an eggplant?

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
The only thing they can do is run and jump. You can't attack or dodge while turned into an eggplant. Luckily it's only temporary, like roughly 15 seconds.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Magic Armor

The item creates a barrier around the character, protecting him/her from taking any damage. However, the character is still affected by knockback, and the item only stays active for 30 seconds.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Magic Armor

The item creates a barrier around the character, protecting him/her from taking any damage. However, the character is still affected by knockback, and the item only stays active for 30 seconds.
Isn't that basically the same thing as Melee's Cloaking device? Except it doesn't make you invisible (Not that that thing made you that hard to see anyway). Oh well it wasn't in brawl (Despite there being a Invisible special Brawl mode) and if it doesn't return in this game I guess it can be used as a replacement.

Why did they remove the Red Shell in the first place anyway? I mean yeah it was annoying but still...

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
I think the things that got removed from melee to brawl was more the Wii's fault.
Flipper Replaced Bumper In Melee. Bumper ReReplaced Flipper in Brawl.
Cloaking Device was removed because of its association with Perfect Dark (Rareware)
Red Shell was removed because it was overpowered? Actually no good reason for that except that Super Mario Bros. 2 probably wasnt as relevant any more.
In Super Mario Bros 2, The Idea was that red characters wouldn't walk off the edge like normal versions of characters, And red koopa shells would act the way they do in melee. There was that one stage from new super mario bros 2 wasnt there? I think it was called Kingdom II

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Personally, I just want less 1-hit-ko (or almost) items.

Dragoon, Bob-omb, Hammer, Golden Hammer, Deku Nut, Mine, Exploding crates...

And then there's the 40-ish Legendary pokemon, all dealing 1-hit-ko moves.

All I ask... 3 KO items at most, and 3 legendary pokemon that kill at most... (and make these pokemon actually RARE)

stan423321

Smash Journeyman
Anybody else thinks items shall be more like in SSB64? Nicely visible (and then ARROWED), not catchable in air and bouncing on the stage so you know where they'll land before you can pick them up.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Anybody else thinks items shall be more like in SSB64? Nicely visible (and then ARROWED), not catchable in air and bouncing on the stage so you know where they'll land before you can pick them up.
Not really. I actually prefer the way that Brawl handles its items.

BSP

Smash Legend
Personally, I just want less 1-hit-ko (or almost) items.

Dragoon, Bob-omb, Hammer, Golden Hammer, Deku Nut, Mine, Exploding crates...
The only item that 1 hit KOs is the dragoon.

And the Home run bat of course.

Top Bottom