• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Items or no items in Super Smash Bros 4

Bartmanhomer

Smash Rookie
Items can be fun for some people and items can be a huge pain. But asked yourself this, do you think they should includes items or no items at Super Smash Bros 4.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Yes. I don't why this is even a question. Or did you forget that all the other Smash games let you turn items off?

Carolus Rex

Smash Cadet
I think it's best to remove all items, all stages with more than one platform, and have just Fox as a character. Much better game this way.

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
I think it's best to remove all items, all stages with more than one platform, and have just Fox as a character. Much better game this way.
You may be on to something here.

:phone:

Layupfreak

Smash Ace
this upcoming game shouldn't even release. No items no characters no stage no nothing. It'll prolly be the best game ever

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
Seriously though keep the items.

PikaJew

Banned via Warnings
This is the dumbest post I've ever read.

There's been a god damn option to turn off items since the first game.
Items make the game so much more fun, and if you hate them...

TURN THEM OFF!!!!!

I hate you whiny tournament players so much sometimes.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Bring back the flipper and red shell please!

Items should (must) be there. They're a part of the smash environment.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493

TURN THEM OFF!!!!!

I don't think that was really called for. As strange as it sounds, even us competitively-minded Smashers enjoy turning on random stages and all items sometimes. It can be crazy fun.

On-topic, they're going to do the same thing with items they do every game, and there's going to be some cool new items as well. They'll be toggled on or off. Have cake. Eat it.

TL?

Smash Ace

TURN THEM OFF!!!!!

Except all the tournament players here said yes to include them.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Of course they should keep them. Sure there can be a number of item's that are a huge pain, but I do enjoy some of them. Wether I switch them off completely or on is up to my own mood. But no, they should never scrap them. People who hate them can always just switch them off.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Is this even a topic to discuss?
Clearly everyone has the same opinion on them.

D

Deleted member

Items in SSB4 because they're part of making Smash. But I don't usually play with items because players can get cocky after using them.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793

TURN THEM OFF!!!!!

This is perhaps the first time I saw someone vehemently supporting casual play.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
More like fanboyism... >_>

Casual anti-Melee purists or Über-competitive Melee purists... like two peas on the same plate.

Orngeblu

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0104-1846-4809
Obviously there SHOULD be items. Although, there needs to be a setting to turn it off.

Lol, and I hear people have a problem with people playing casually. Whats the problem with that? Lol...

ZelDan

Smash Master
there's no way items are going to get removed from a Smash game, and no one, even competitive players, have no issue with them being in the game, and shouldn't since they can be turned off.

This is pretty much a pointless topic

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
I think the flipper was alright for its job as an area denial and positioning tool. Bumper literally had ohko potential, locks, and super ******** effects on edgeguarding.

I think Flipper is only really seen as "annoying" because it does not do much direct damage or directly affect the enemy in a major way, so its use is subtle, which is conveyed as "annoying and nothing else," like how the smokeball is seen.

Two different uses of "annoying" are at play here

Obnoxious: Red Shell, Bumper, [Golden] Hammers

and

Mostly useless: Smokeball, Flipper, Mr. Saturn

I actually wish more items were subtle in Brawl. It feels like I automatically have full control over the game as soon as I get a hold of a Beam Sword or Fan. Me and the enemy aren't even playing the same game at that point lol. So I just delegate the items to Smokeballs, Mr. Saturn, Lip's Stick, and Food.

Though it isn't dramatically better in Melee, I feel like having the Beam Sword and Parasol and Star Rod and Ray Gun on is less dominating for the results of the game than in Brawl.

Wondra

Smash Cadet
items, definitely. Many more of them too.

And to this point, I really enjoyed the thinking behind Assist Trophies. Allowing for un-playable characters to still make an appearance was marvelous.

Meme

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
6939 6733 3968
I really missed the Parasol from Melee, in brawl I really wanted to see Snake using the parasol to descend slowly back to the stage only to see it was removed.

It would be nice for stages to have item spawning points.

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
^Ditto. I just hope they will not introduce the blue shell. But I fear they will. Brrrrr...

Ove

Smash Journeyman
Items should be in Smash 4 with the option of turning them off.

It has always been that way and everyone's fine with that. I also think that you should have the option of turning individual items off, from the very beginning.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Items will always be a part of the Super Smash Bros. series, whether players like them or not. The fact that items can be toggled on and off means no one - be it item supporters or anti-item protesters - has any right to piss and moan about it. I feel we're all just beating a dead horse with another dead horse at this point.

TURN THEM OFF!!!!!

I find this post funny for several reasons:

A: You didn't specify which post is stupid. If you meant the thread as a whole, the OP did not suggest having no items, but only asked for opinions on whether items should return or not.

B: "Items making the game more fun", while I can concur with that statement in certain situations, is still just an opinion; neither right or wrong.

C: Your apparent bias toward tournament players who may not even be present in this thread. Not all people on SWF are tourney-goers.

D: You're very easy to troll. You shouldn't read anything too deep, or take things too seriously like that.

Top Bottom