• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Items or no items in Super Smash Bros 4

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
The way I could see the Blue Shell working is that it'll go after the person with the lowest ratio. This can also lead hectic moments like the lowest ratio player running after their opponent so they get blown up with him/her or grabbing an opponent. Ice Climbers would be great with this item if you know how to chain grab(good for chain grab chars in general). And Diddy if he has bananas.

:phone:

VictoryIsMudkipz

Smash Journeyman
No question, items are just as a staple for Smash Bros as the characters are, they represent what Nintendo has built their success with, from the starman, to mr. saturn, to the pokeball, etc....
While competitively battling items should be turned off, but when you're just bs'ing around with friends, Items On is tons of fun and fair for everyone who may not be as talented as the next, the blue shell, and the net/axe from Animal Crossing are a must for me

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
Speaking of the blue shell, I like how it works in Super Smash Flash 2. If a player throws it, it hits the player in first for a lot of damage. If first place throws it, they simply save themselves from being hit. It doesn't hit anyone. If more than one player have the same stock as first, it's randomized.

All in all, I think that would be a good template if they decide to insert the blue shell.

link2702

Smash Champion
I can't believe this is even a question...​
just because the tournament/competitive scene plays without items on in serious matches doesn't mean we want them removed from the game itself. Items most certainly should stay in smash, however just like before we should be given the option to turn them on/off or limit which ones appear and which don't.​
Contrary to popular belief by non-competitives, most competitive players(least everyone i've talked to) don't mind having items on to goof around with in friendly matches sometimes, we just don't want them on in serious matches for the luck factors they bring.​

volbound1700

Smash Master
Items should return but to be honest I would love to see the Capsule cut. I also want any items outside of the Bo-Bombs that explode without a character using them removed. I hate being in the middle of a fight and all of sudden there is an explosion and both of us or I get KOed by a random spawned item in the middle of our fight. It is annoying as crap and most of the time it is related to the Capsule.

final lap

Smash Journeyman
Are items stage-specific in SSB games? There seem like too many items and it's hard to keep track of what they all do, but if they are stage specific then it's less of a problem.

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
Good point!
There should be an option for items:
[RANDOM]
[RELATED TO STAGE]
[RELATED TO CHARACTERS]
[RELATED TO STAGE AND CHARACTERS]

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
Are items stage-specific in SSB games? There seem like too many items and it's hard to keep track of what they all do, but if they are stage specific then it's less of a problem.
I think in Melee Onett had the highest chance of spawning Mr. Saturns,but outside that not that I know of.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
I think the only stage-specific items are the Ice Climber vegetables on the Summit, as well as Eggs on Melee Yoshi's Island. Aside from that, I don't think there are any.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
all stages should be tourney legit (neutrals).
Gonna have to disagree with you. While I enjoy more "neutral" stages and would like a greater variety of them, I think the best path for stages is to have a balance between calmer, more balanced stages and the more chaotic stages.

Mr.Jackpot

Smash Lord
If there was an option to use preset spawn points on stages for items I totally wouldn't time them for competitive play.

BlazeTron

Smash Rookie
I like items, and I'd love to see the red shell make a return :)

Forgot about that 1 , However I think keeping items is obv for the best

Vkrm

Smash Lord
Looking at this thread, I think I can bet that things didn't go the way OP expected. He must've expected a bunch of competitive players to jump on people who like items. In my experience casual players are the ones who don't tolerate other play styles. Not the other way around.

Ziodyne

Smash Ace
all stages should be tourney legit (neutrals).
****. that. ****.

i love me my tournament stages yo, but if i can't play on ****ing jungle japes whenever i feel like it, it's not a smash game worth playing anymore IMO

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
^ while I do feel that items should at least have a subcommunity in the competitive scene, I feel the randomness excuse is just a John IMO. the reason being is that if items were not random, I feel next people would use the excuse of them spawning in certain points of stages causing item camping and blahblahblah...which in a way is kinda worse then them appearing randomly.

Also another annoying thing people do is assume when people want items on,they want ALL items on and use that as an excuse. everyone knows Containers and Bomb-Ombs are ********, just like everyone knows Mario Bros. and 75m too broken for stages. but you could just turn the broken crap off....just like we do for stages(though now we are trying to avoid using random stage select for some f***ing reason.)

....but yeah,story for another day.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
Maybe the resentment againist competitive Smash is because people whined too much about Brawl being user-friendly and now Sakurai's gonna do the same to Smash Bros. that SEGa did to Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing, they're going to nerf the game instead of making it all spectacular. For example, too many people complained about how some Final Smashes were too powerful, but that's the point of Final Smashes, so instead of making every FS suck, they should make every FS Overpowered so every character can have fun, i'm sick of this balancing crap that will cripple the game's content, story cutscenes, character selection and probably even music.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
Maybe the resentment againist competitive Smash is because people whined too much about Brawl being user-friendly and now Sakurai's gonna do the same to Smash Bros. that SEGa did to Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing, they're going to nerf the game instead of making it all spectacular. For example, too many people complained about how some Final Smashes were too powerful, but that's the point of Final Smashes, so instead of making every FS suck, they should make every FS Overpowered so every character can have fun, i'm sick of this balancing crap that will cripple the game's content, story cutscenes, character selection and probably even music.
How is balancing the characters going to cripple the music?

Top Bottom