• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

'Item Standard Play' Tournament! (COMPLETED)

MyPT

Smash Rookie
I would love to enter sign me up
AIM: SPPorygonZ
FC:0216-0452-0921

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
Ok, two things. First, I have you signed up, MyPT.

Second... I kind of made a little bit of a mistake. I got my notes confused when I was making the OP for the tournament and made a small mistake with the item list. I updated the list in the OP to reflect the real item list we'll be using on Saturday, but I'll go ahead and list them here, too. The revised item disable list is:

(Smash Balls) (Assist Trophy) (Pokeball) (Containers) (Blast Box) (Maxim Tomato) (Heart Container) (Superspicy Curry) (Bomb-omb) (Smart Bomb) (Deku Nut) (Team Healer)

The stages, so far, will remain the same. I'm considering making stage suggestions based on connection strength (Green, Yellow, or Red), so I'll keep you posted for that. Sorry about that mix up.

neo_sporin

Smash Cadet
I want in
tag:Neo
FC:0903-2492-9555
Aim: waswarnedtomuch

and what are the rules on terrible lag? play through anyways and whoevers winning if it drops wins?

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
As of now, everyone who has posted their wishing to be in the tournament has been signed up; if you posted before this post, you've been signed up already. About the lag situation... there's really not much I can do on that. If both players agree to a rematch if a match in their set is unusually laggy, that's fine as long as they get me the results before the next round begins. If they just have a bad connection, I can only say try a really basic stage (Smashville is great for this) and make the best of it. If it drops, that's a no contest; just try to restart the match. If it keeps dropping, notify me and I'll try to deal accordingly.

Mobious-1

Smash Cadet
Sign me up too. I live in Hawaii though so lag might be an issue unless I play with people who live on the west coast.

FC: 0559-6430-5316
Tag: MOBI
AIM: Mobiousx1

neo_sporin

Smash Cadet
Another question if you are going to reveal it...or if im just nubcakes. How exactly does a 24 person tournament work as I didnt hear any mention of Seeds. 24 feeds to 12 feeds to 6 to 3? or do we have 8 seeds that get Byes to the 2nd round with a feeder round?

showdownkiller

Smash Cadet
There's a good chance I may not be able to participate, though it pains me so. I don't know for sure, yet. I'll update here when I find out.

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
Alright, we have one more day of sign-ups left before the tournament, so I'm going to make a few announcements here; I'll also put this up on the second post in the thread until the tournament begins.

Check-in for the tournament will begin at 11:00 AM CST and will end at 12:30 PM CST. Check-in proceedings will be as follows:

Entrants WITH Aim:
Between 11:00 AM and 12:30 PM CST, send an instant message on AIM to me, JackKieser. I will have a chat room set up as a lobby for the tournament where everyone will gather until matches begin; this room will persist throughout the entirety of the tournament for the purpose of allowing the entrants to more easily contact opponents. At 12:30, I will proceed to hand out first round match assignments; I will post a master bracket in the second post of this thread as well as delivering SWF usernames and individual FC's over AIM/SWF PM.

Entrants WITHOUT Aim:
Between 11:00 AM and 12:30 PM CST, send a PM to me, Jack Kieser. I will confirm via PM your check-in; unfortunately, due to the nature of PM's, I will not be able to deliver live updates until the tournament has begun. At 12:30, I will post a master list of the first round matchups; it will be your responsibility to contact your opponent to set up your match, although I will also send out individual PM's confirming matchups.

Tournament Proceedings:
After the first round begins, there are certain responsibilities that entrants must be aware of.

1 ) The entrant whose name is underlined in the master bracket in the second post of this thread is the entrant who will be responsible for creating the room online for the round's matchup. It is that person's responsibility to maintain the ruleset for the tournament outlined in the OP (5 min, 3 stock, accepted items/stages), although we ask that all entrants have only accepted items/stages activated as a matter of precaution.

2 ) Both entrants, prior to beginning the first match of each round, must declare counter-pick stages in the event of the loss of a round. Both entrants must be aware of their opponent's counterpick stage selections, as ONLY the first match of each set will be determined by random stage select.

3 ) Both the winner and the loser of each round must declare the outcome of the round to me in the quickest manner possible (for those with AIM, please use it; if you cannot, then a PM will suffice). I ask that those who use AIM, however, do not post set outcomes in the chat room; please only send set outcomes to me via individual message. Please declare set outcomes as soon as you finish playing your set, as this will expedite the process greatly.

4 ) As the main purpose of this tournament is an experiment into the balance of our current 1v1 item set, the 'ISP' project asks that once an entrant is eliminated from the tournament, he/she sends (in PM form) their opinion of the proceedings to Jack Kieser; this is not mandatory, but we ask that if an entrant does so, please try to keep bias as to winning/losing out of the equation unless it was a result of a balancing issue (i.e., a loss resulting from an exploitation of a certain item).

We will continue to take sign-ups for people wanting to enter the tournament up until 10:00 AM CST on Saturday, April 19. Please feel free to post here (or PM me) with your sign-up request until then. I will have a list posted of the current entrant pool until 12:30 PM on the 19th; if you are planning to enter the tournament, feel free to go ahead and add all current entrants into your Brawl Friend Lists.

tsl

Smash Apprentice
I will enter.

Username: TSL
Game Tag: Yaoi (In Japanese. Just look for the Japanese name on your Friend List. Can't miss it. It looks like my siggy. =P )
FC: 4596-9054-7072
AIM: tsllnr

neo_sporin

Smash Cadet
just as a matter of clarification- We should have 2 counterpicks ready for our opponent correct? If we state a counterpick level we choose and end up randoming that the first round we must counterpick to another stage? or are we allowing replay of a stage? (which is usually disallowed to stop the winner of first round to pick their winning stage for round 3 if they lose 2)

Butters15

Smash Rookie
I wanna join, If I still can ^__^

Name: Butters15
FC: 0216-0452-0921
Tag: When?
AIM: Reeces632

My brother (Mypt) is in the tournament too, he just told me about it too late >_<

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
@neo_sporin: To clarify what I meant, each set is going to be a best of three with the first stage being random choice. We have two players, A and B. If A wins the first match, then B gets to pick the next stage. If A wins again, then the set is over (because it is best of three). If B wins the second match, then the last match is played on A's counterpick stage. So each player only needs one counterpick stage to be declared (because no person can lose, and thus counterpick, twice as you're only playing best of three).

@Butters15: Gotcha. I have you signed up. We're accepting signups all the way until 10 AM CST tomorrow, so if anyone wants to sign up, feel free; we have plenty of room.

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
Sorry, I'm new to this ^^; Could somebody explain what a counterpick stage is?
Basically, if you lose a match, you can select the next stage that's played on (or choose random). So if you and I are playing best of three, and I lose the first match (which has random stage select by default), then I'll choose the second stage we play on. If you lose the second match, then you'll choose the last stage we play on.

DragoonXD

Smash Cadet
NNID
DragoonXD
I thought this was important, and necessary to post.

Showdown Killer and Cloudman, your friend codes are incorrect (according to my Wii). I've double checked, and I'm entering what's on the first page. I don't know what's up...

Edit: Jack, you may want to edit the list of entrants Friend Codes. Showdown Killer's is 2750-0927-5708, not 2570 Don't know about Cloudman though, his won't work ><

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
I thought this was important, and necessary to post.

Showdown Killer and Cloudman, your friend codes are incorrect (according to my Wii). I've double checked, and I'm entering what's on the first page. I don't know what's up...
Well, that's not right. Let me try to get ahold of them and see what's up.

Top Bottom