• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

'Item Standard Play' Tournament! (COMPLETED)

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
EDIT: The Tournament is now finished! Thank you to all who participated in the tournament; you were all a big help to the project, and I sincerely hope that everyone involved enjoyed it as much as I did (as... shaky as things got at times). Feel free to contact the entrants for some friendly matches; we'd be more than happy to play!

We very proud to announce the first ever 'Item Standard Play' Online tournament! This tournament is designed to test out the theories set forth by the 'Item Standard Play' project and to deduce the viability of our current item standards. The rules are as follows:

Date: Saturday, April 19 & Sunday, April 20

Time: Check-in Begins at 11:00 AM CST and Ends at 12:30 PM CST. Matches will begin at 1:30 PM CST.

Number of Entrants: 24, with 12 backups.

Style: 1v1, Single Elimination, Best of Three.

Rules are as follows:

Matches will last 5 minutes or three stock, whichever comes first. Each set will consist of three matches, with the first to win two matches advancing.

The first round's match-ups will be posted in this thread; in each proceeding round, 'ISP' members will provide opponents and Friend Codes in this thread as they are available.

Rounds will last no longer than 30 minutes; if a round's results are not reported via PM at the end of 30 minutes, both offending entrants will be removed from the competition. If this happens in the first round, backups will be allowed to play in the tournament on a first-come-first-serve basis; backups will also be contacted in the event players do not check-in at the appropriate time, and as such we ask that the backup players check-in as well.

The banned stages for this tournament are as follows; none of these stages are legal for any fight, and all of/only these stages must be disabled on any entrant's random select:

Lylat Cruise - It's so pretty that it slows down the game
Rumble Falls - Same problems we had in Melee with Icicle Mountain
Warioware - Doesn't reward players with the same effects at all times
New Pork City - Because we're on a time limit, here
The Summit - Lag-tastic
Mario Bros. / 75m - Balancing issues (read: they weren't designed to fight in, so I don't want to have to deal with figuring that into the equation)
Temple - See New Pork City
Hanenbow - Laggy as all hell

Items will be on the low spawn rate with the following items disabled:
(Smash Balls) (Assist Trophy) (Pokeball) (Container) (Blast Box) (Maxim Tomato) (Heart Container) (Superspicy Curry) (Bomb-omb) (Smart Bomb) (Deku Nut) (Team Healer)

We ask that you do not sign up for this tournament if you are not absolutely sure that you can make it online at the above listed check-in time and are not free for the entirety of the weekend.

Check-ins will be done via PM or AIM (AIM preferably). We ask that entrants provide in a post their SWF user name, their Friend Code, and an AIM username (if possible). Please only post if you are planning on entering the tournament until all slots are filled.

Good luck, and we hope to see you online!

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
FINAL BRACKET:
Congratulations to Mobious-1 on his victory! Well done!

Entrant List:

This list has all the people who signed up for the tournament; an 'X' is next to those who participated in the proceedings. We ask that all participating players please PM Jack Kieser with their impressions on how the tournament went. Feel free to ask the below listed players for friendlies; we'd be happy to fight you.

----- Entrant Username --- Entrant Friend Code --- Entrant AIM ----

|x| --DragoonXD-- || --3780-8678-9901-- || -NONE-
| | --showdownkiller-- || --2570-0927-5708-- || -hasonbub64-
| | --kingofping4-- || --3222-5259-3461-- || -kingofping4-
| | --Dustero-- || --3866-7674-6765-- || -NONE-
|x| --richie137-- || --0860-3024-9262-- || -NONE-
|x| --Olimarman-- || --4854-6108-2262-- || -ph4tm4n123-
| | --EternalPain-- || --0559-6429-8478-- || -Ipwnunsmash-
| | --Cloudman-- || --0989-1473-1489-- || -NONE-
|x| --Dinner-- || --2878-9257-8140-- || -Dinh129-
| | --Mr.Mattastic-- || --2793-0255-6960-- || -NONE-
|x| --Firebert-- || --4253-3179-7487-- || -HFirebert000-
| | --PIMPSLAP-- || --2492-4077-1317-- || -NONE-
| | --IceEmblem-- || --4339-2438-9308-- || -NONE-
| | --JVD45-- || --1418-6370-1203-- || -Dkia111-
| | --Darkebrz-- || --2921-8872-6481-- || -Darkebrz-
| | --MyPT-- || --0216-0452-0921-- || -SPPorygonZ-
|x| --neo_sporin-- || --0903-2492-9555-- || -waswarnedtomuch-
|x| --Mobious-1-- || --0559-6430-5316-- || -Mobiousx1-
|x| --Mischief Maker-- || --3609-0712-5098-- || -NONE-
| | --tsl-- || --4596-9054-7072-- || -tsllnr-
| | --Butters15-- || --0216-0452-0921-- || -Reeces632-
|x| --Erik McLennan-- || --2750-0770-8463-- || -Erik McL-
|x| --Irish-- || --See Below-- || -JackKieser-
|x| --Phaze-- || --3566-1264-7112-- || -JackKieser-

Jewdo

Smash Journeyman
Sweet. I have a couple of friends who enjoy playing with items, so I'll be sure to let them know about this.

DragoonXD

Smash Cadet
NNID
DragoonXD
I checked, and I'm free both days. I'd love to compete!

UNfortunately, I don't have AIM, so I'll have to communicate via PMs. Anyways, here's my SWF username (DragoonXD) and my Brawl Friend Code (3780-8678-9901). Don't know if it's necessary to post yet, but I thought I'd go ahead and 'sign up'.

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
Awesome! Got you signed up and ready to go.

(And yes, we're taking signups from now until April 18 or until the bracket is full, whichever comes first)

KratosAurion192

Smash Ace
I can't turn on Brawl right now (GF's playing TP) but I already have had idea's about this, I want to my idea past you if you can IM me...

Kratos Aurion192 is my AIM...

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
Well, this tournament is (bascially) a human player test of our current item listing to see if what we have so far is balanced with people (and not CPU's) playing. After the dust settles from this tournament, we'll get to work on a 2v2 tournament with its own custom-built item listing. FFA's... are incredibly hard to make a balanced item standard for, so we'll see what happens there.

As for the amount banned... to put things in perspective, we only disabled the most serious 1v1 offenders. Out of ~45 items, we only disabled 11. The vast majority of items are still on, and certainly enough for item lovers to enjoy themselves. On that same token, though, all of the big-name balance offenders are disabled, which means that traditional tournament players can be assured that we'll have the most fair and balanced playing field possible.

KratosAurion192

Smash Ace
Sorry my internet cut out last night....

I dunno if you were cool with considering my idea for it but either way hope it helped...

showdownkiller

Smash Cadet
I'd be willing to test it out, like, totally. Like, totally, TOTALLY!

Cuz I loves me my items. I think.

aim: hasonbub64

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
Alright, I've got both of you signed up and ready to go. ^_^ Oh, and sorry for the late response; I was out of town for the last 3 days. :laugh:

DragoonXD

Smash Cadet
NNID
DragoonXD
Do you know when the stage list will be ready? I'm interested to see if any, and if so which, stages are being excluded. I don't need to know now, but I'm curious ^^;

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
Haha... actually, I completely forgot about that. ^_^; I can get that list up in the next two days, though, so I'll get right on that.

Mr Mattastic

Smash Journeyman
I'm east coast so my connection might be too laggy for this tourney but might I request that fans be taken off too? It's one of the most broken items in the game.

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
I'm east coast so my connection might be too laggy for this tourney but might I request that fans be taken off too? It's one of the most broken items in the game.
The item allow list is being based off of the test data we've been accumulating in the 'Item Standard Play' thread in Tournament Disc. If you think they're too broken, we'll need more proof than simply 'I think so' to turn them off, I'm afraid. :laugh: But by all means, if you have anything to add, join our discussion there; we'd be happy to have you.

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
Ok, so I'm basing the stages decision off of two main things: how much lag (on average) the stage causes and how much the stage can affect the outcome of a fight (mainly because... well, we're supposed to be testing items here). That being said, we're not going to disable many stages, just the most serious offenders. That will include:

Lylat Cruise - It's so pretty that it slows down the game.
The Summit - Lag-tastic.
Mario Bros. / 75m - Balancing issues (read: they weren't designed to fight in, so I don't want to have to deal with figuring that into the equation)

So, not much. By the way, don't read this as an 'official' list or anything. I kind of rushed this particular decision, so the 'ISP' project will deal with stages specifically when we have time.

Metà

Smash Master
If anyone in BC enters this tournament, I'll hunt them down and punch them in the nads. My tournament is happening on the same day lol. Also, we have two real smash games there--no, I'm not talking about SSBB :laugh:

EternalPain

Smash Rookie
I'm in.
FC: 0559-6429-8478
Brawl Name: Etrnl
Aim: Ipwnunsmash

The fans are not so broken, you can DI out of them fairly easily. They just appear so at first.

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
I have 7 registered people so far. That's only the people from SWF, though. I have yet to include people from other sites and people who haven't yet confirmed their schedules.

DragoonXD

Smash Cadet
NNID
DragoonXD
Lylat Cruise - It's so pretty that it slows down the game.
The Summit - Lag-tastic.
Good choices. The lag is a huge problem, so I've noticed when online. It always lags at the start of the match on certain stages, and never seems to fix itself.

Mr Mattastic

Smash Journeyman
The item allow list is being based off of the test data we've been accumulating in the 'Item Standard Play' thread in Tournament Disc. If you think they're too broken, we'll need more proof than simply 'I think so' to turn them off, I'm afraid. :laugh: But by all means, if you have anything to add, join our discussion there; we'd be happy to have you.
It was just a suggestion but I'm going to try to request the weekend off next time Im at work.

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
Alright, I have everyone who has posted in the thread so far signed up; with entrants from other boards and such added in, that brings the current total to 11 entrants. Almost half way; we have plenty of room still, so feel free to keep signing up.

Darkebrz

Smash Rookie
Phew, I thought with three pages this was sure to be filled up.
Im in
2921-8872-6481
Tag is DARKE
AIM is Darkebrz

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
Alright, everyone who has posted up until now is signed up, bringing our total so far to 15 entrants! Awesome. ^_^

Top Bottom