• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Isaac for DLC - One day. Some day. Golden Sunday.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I'd be satisfied if we got just Venus psynergy, but I would like to see Cutting Edge or a Growth spell or Volcano or a Bolt spell.

As for the sword, the Sol Blade is Isaac's strongest sword and probably the most iconic. Even if he never used it in combat I'd want him to carry it on his person. I think of it like Pit's Palutena Bow. The Sol Blade/Palutena Bow don't define the characters and could be replaced with a generic version, but they're the most recognizable, and in Isaac's case most powerful, weapons for those respective characters. But again, I think an alt should be reserved for the Gaia Blade bc it's his best sword at the end of GS1. Alternatively, have the default costume be Sol, an alt be Gaia, and the remaining 6 alts each use a different sword to show off the weapon variety in the GS series. THAT would be amazing.
A weapon alt isn't all that easy to handle, though. Alts typically only are based on things that don't affect gameplay, the outfit and the like, because the shape is different (Mii Fighters are the exception).

For example, if King K. Rool used his krown toss and he pulled his krown off his head as part of his moveset, his krown can't be switched with his pirate hat. Instead he'd have to throw a replica krown to imitate the same effect.

If Isaac had alts for his weapon, he wouldn't be able to use the weapon as part of his moveset. And the thing is, no Golden Sun weapon is really "iconic" by any means at all. In Brawl, for example, Isaac just wields a generic sword, because they're not special. They're the most powerful swords in the games, but they're not important to the story in any meaningful way and are just "there."

Isaac I feel would go the way of Robin in this scenario. Robin just uses a generic weapon, nothing special. The Levin Sword even is only a generic weapon, and Robin only uses it because Robin commonly used thunder tomes as his main magic and to incorporate weapon breaking, a feature that's not in Golden Sun at all, so there's no reason for Isaac to have a special weapon.

The only reason I think Isaac would get any better weapon is so they can include a weapon unleash, but the main thing I don't want to see is Megiddo. Its too strong for a normal attack and isn't epic enough for a Final Smash (his Final Smash should be Judgment).

Titan Blade even is a bit powerful, but Ragnarok is a pretty large attack as well, so perhaps it wouldn't be too bad if they decreased the size of Titan Blade and made it his dair, but even then it still feels like it'd be too powerful.

Not as positive as the original games but yes, very positive reviews indeed.

Sadly that did not translate into enough sales.
I know it didn't translate into sales, but its not like Zip Lash which is getting heavily mixed reviews right now.

MrGame&Rock

Smash Ace
NNID
SpenstarHD
That's true. Maybe take a generic sword that's shaped kinda like Sol and change the color for alts?

In the case of Robin, the Levin sword plays into his larger mechanic. He also doesn't have a signature sword like any of the other FE characters do: a sword that's really powerful and can only be used by him. Isaac does have that. Two of them, in fact. And If Robin's Levin Sword is because he has an electric motif, wouldn't a strong earth-based sword like Gaia or Sol fit Isaac for the same reason?

He probably only had a generic sword in Brawl because he didn't use it for his assist. In SSB4, a DLC Isaac would probably use his sword for his jab combo and tilts and would want his strongest sword. And speaking of Brawl, having Sol or Gaia wouldn't make him more of a generic swordsman. The trophy calls him a psynergy adept and earth manipulator first and a swordsman second.

The reason why I want the Sol/Gaia blades for a DLC Isaac is in part because, for any RPG I play that gets representation elsewhere, I want the rep to pull more from the final party than anywhere else. I want them to use their strongest weapons. And I do want Isaac's moveset to be predominantly Psynergy-based. But don't get me wrong, I wouldn't lose hype if he only used a generic weapon. I just think it's reasonable to assume that he'll use the Sol or Gaia blade for the three or four basic attacks that call for a sword :p

Chapter Serf

Ace Skell Pilot
NNID
ChapterSerf
3DS FC
3969-7074-2956
What would be the point of painstakingly designing (in 3d) a whole sword (like the Sol Blade or any other weapon) for only the most basic of attacks? There isn't any weapon in Golden Sun that merits that level attention. This isn't like the Monado or the Master Sword, which are damn near inseparable from their parent characters in this regard. Furthermore, why are we selling something like the Sol Blade painfully short? This big, fancy awesome looking sword that does 3% a hit? And only is used in Jab combos? Why sell it so short? We're trying to AVOID making Isaac a Swordsman. Why give him this big fancy sword that really has no part in his mechanics as a playable fighter?

Last edited:

9Blades

Smash Ace
NNID
Venusboshi04
3DS FC
4210-4504-3290
Since this is a discussion going on in the Snake thread, I might as well bring it here. What songs would you like on a Golden Sun stage for when we inevitably get Isaac as DLC :p

MrGame&Rock

Smash Ace
NNID
SpenstarHD
What would be the point of painstakingly designing (in 3d) a whole sword (like the Sol Blade or any other weapon) for only the most basic of attacks? There isn't any weapon in Golden Sun that merits that level attention. This isn't like the Monado or the Master Sword, which are damn near inseparable from their parent characters in this regard. Furthermore, why are we selling something like the Sol Blade painfully short? This big, fancy awesome looking sword that does 3% a hit? And only is used in Jab combos? Why sell it so short? We're trying to AVOID making Isaac a Swordsman. Why give him this big fancy sword that really has no part in his mechanics as a playable fighter?
IDK, why painstakingly design a 3D model of the Upperdash Arm if it's only going to be used in one attack? Or the Bronze Sword if it's barely used? Or Ness's bat if it's only good for his forward smash? Etc. Also, I doubt the sol blade would only be used in jab combos. I can also see it being used for tilts and taunts and such. Sword attack are a (though relatively small) part of Isaac's pool of attacks, so I think that should be recognized in his moveset. And it's not like a sword like the Sol Blade would be that difficult to design. I don't see it being any more intensive than any other sword a character uses, it's not like it would take up all the resources when making the character.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
Every time I come here I always see discussion about making Isaac not use his sword and rely only, or at least, primarily on psyenergy. But how about he uses them both in tandem like say unleashes. He stabs the ground to use Gaia he slashes his sword to create Ragnarok etc. This would give his sword purpose since he actually has a weapon and he would still be different from Robin because with him you choose one or the other.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Every time I come here I always see discussion about making Isaac not use his sword and rely only, or at least, primarily on psyenergy. But how about he uses them both in tandem like say unleashes. He stabs the ground to use Gaia he slashes his sword to create Ragnarok etc. This would give his sword purpose since he actually has a weapon and he would still be different from Robin because with him you choose one or the other.
Well, I do think he could use the sword to direct certain attacks and use them for unleashes, but otherwise the sword shouldn't be a central focal point of his moveset. Unleashes are fine (if they can find a good way to make them work well).

Spootondorf

Smash Apprentice
The only reason I think Isaac would get any better weapon is so they can include a weapon unleash, but the main thing I don't want to see is Megiddo. Its too strong for a normal attack and isn't epic enough for a Final Smash (his Final Smash should be Judgment).
Not exactly. I incorporated a modified Megiddo into my moveset rather easily as a special attack. The main differences between my version and the canon version are the size of the projectile, the height that Isaac jumps to to hit it, and the damage output relative to other attacks. The way I have it, Megiddo is Isaac's up special, and poses little threat to opponents most of the time, being more useful for recovery. However, if someone does get hit by it, they're in trouble. The fact that it's normally not very dangerous underscores the fact that Isaac is at his best on the ground.

Following is my current version of Megiddo. Tap the input to shoot straight up -- perhaps the same distance that Zelda's Farore's Wind sends her -- and make a downward slash that spikes diagonally downward and does moderate damage (if the enemy is sent toward the ground, a respectable bounce will occur). This would be very useful for recovering from directly beneath a ledge while an enemy edgeguards. If the input is held, a fiery ball of whatever-it-is-in-GS forms in front of the point where Isaac's leap will reach its apex, and he bats it diagonally downward. The sword strike has the same properties as before, but the technique is perhaps more dangerous than before for the following reasons: if the opponent is located between Isaac and the fiery ball when the sword strike is made, the enemy will be spiked and bounce off the ball, sending him on a trajectory behind and above Isaac. This could easily kill, I think, but its occurrence would likely be rare. More often, the opponent would just be hit by the fiery ball (or get caught in it as it forms, which does less damage than an impact), which does about the same damage as one of the game's current strongest attacks (e.g. Ganondorf's Warlock Punch), but with a negligible amount of knockback. The ball's descent is fast, but not Fox Illusion-fast, so it can be dodged with sufficient space.

As far as Megiddo as an FS is concerned, I think it would work similarly to Captain Falcon's, in which a short cutscene is shown before the attack connects. I'm not sure how that wouldn't be epic.... That aside, I do think Judgment would be the most appropriate FS.

Titan Blade even is a bit powerful, but Ragnarok is a pretty large attack as well, so perhaps it wouldn't be too bad if they decreased the size of Titan Blade and made it his dair, but even then it still feels like it'd be too powerful.
If you're willing to alter Titan Blade to make it feasible as a non-FS, then surely Megiddo could work in a way similar to my description of it. What say you?

Falgor

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3652-0587-5880
About the "iconic" aspect of the swords, I pretty much agree with JaidynReiman JaidynReiman .
The only moment when it's not true is in Dark Dawn.

There's the moment where you have to use the Sol Blade to open a door, iirc.

If we assume they go with Isaac as he's portrayed in the GBA games, there's no real reason to use a specific sword.
Except if they wanted to use a specific Unleash, or if they went with Matthew instead/as an alt, but imo these possibilities are pretty unlikely.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Not exactly. I incorporated a modified Megiddo into my moveset rather easily as a special attack. The main differences between my version and the canon version are the size of the projectile, the height that Isaac jumps to to hit it, and the damage output relative to other attacks. The way I have it, Megiddo is Isaac's up special, and poses little threat to opponents most of the time, being more useful for recovery. However, if someone does get hit by it, they're in trouble. The fact that it's normally not very dangerous underscores the fact that Isaac is at his best on the ground.

Following is my current version of Megiddo. Tap the input to shoot straight up -- perhaps the same distance that Zelda's Farore's Wind sends her -- and make a downward slash that spikes diagonally downward and does moderate damage (if the enemy is sent toward the ground, a respectable bounce will occur). This would be very useful for recovering from directly beneath a ledge while an enemy edgeguards. If the input is held, a fiery ball of whatever-it-is-in-GS forms in front of the point where Isaac's leap will reach its apex, and he bats it diagonally downward. The sword strike has the same properties as before, but the technique is perhaps more dangerous than before for the following reasons: if the opponent is located between Isaac and the fiery ball when the sword strike is made, the enemy will be spiked and bounce off the ball, sending him on a trajectory behind and above Isaac. This could easily kill, I think, but its occurrence would likely be rare. More often, the opponent would just be hit by the fiery ball (or get caught in it as it forms, which does less damage than an impact), which does about the same damage as one of the game's current strongest attacks (e.g. Ganondorf's Warlock Punch), but with a negligible amount of knockback. The ball's descent is fast, but not Fox Illusion-fast, so it can be dodged with sufficient space.

As far as Megiddo as an FS is concerned, I think it would work similarly to Captain Falcon's, in which a short cutscene is shown before the attack connects. I'm not sure how that wouldn't be epic.... That aside, I do think Judgment would be the most appropriate FS.

If you're willing to alter Titan Blade to make it feasible as a non-FS, then surely Megiddo could work in a way similar to my description of it. What say you?
I'm not willing to alter Titan Blade. I just figured it'd be a bit easier than Megiddo, but even then I think both are way too big to really work out that well.

About the "iconic" aspect of the swords, I pretty much agree with JaidynReiman JaidynReiman .
The only moment when it's not true is in Dark Dawn.

There's the moment where you have to use the Sol Blade to open a door, iirc.

If we assume they go with Isaac as he's portrayed in the GBA games, there's no real reason to use a specific sword.
Except if they wanted to use a specific Unleash, or if they went with Matthew instead/as an alt, but imo these possibilities are pretty unlikely.
I am aware of that, but the Sol Blade was never important prior to Dark Dawn. They added that aspect to it in order to make it important.

Liverpool19

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Clemo13
Since this is a discussion going on in the Snake thread, I might as well bring it here. What songs would you like on a Golden Sun stage for when we inevitably get Isaac as DLC :p
Firstly don't say inevitably, your gwtting your hopes up to high to have them crashing back down if he doesn't make it in. I would say quite likely, anyways music.
Favourite two songs in the series-
Mars Lighthouse
Saturos battle theme
Expected tracks-
Venus Lighthouse
Isaac Battle Theme
Vale
GS Overworld theme
Others-
Walking forward with determination
Jenna Battle Theme
Something from DD (never played it)
This is just a rough outline of what I would like and expect give or take.

Jamurai

Victory is my destiny
NNID
Jamurai92
I would love the Colosso battle theme in there, as well as one of the battle themes for Saturos or Saturos & Menardi.

Chapter Serf

Ace Skell Pilot
NNID
ChapterSerf
3DS FC
3969-7074-2956
I just had a terrifying thought:

RTC will Rate Isaac at least one more time before the Big Reveal of Everything.

I seem to recall the RTC announcements in this thread:
First Time:
RTC Spokesman said:
Hey, we're gonna Rate Isaac's Chances in the Rate Their Chances thread! Come on and tells us what you got!
Isaac Support Thread said:
Cool! We'll be there!
Second Time:
RTC Spokesman said:
Hey, we're gonna Rate Isaac's Chances in the Rate Their Chances thread again! Come on and tells us what you got!
PISS. OFF.
Third time:
RTC Spokesman said:
Yeah, we're gonna rate Isaac again... You guys might want to just steer clear and not come...
Our thoughts exactly. We're going to stay home and Rate the RTC Thread's chances of getting ****-canned by the mods.

Last edited:

StrikeBlade

Smash Apprentice
I think an alt should be reserved for the Gaia Blade bc it's his best sword at the end of GS1. Alternatively, have the default costume be Sol, an alt be Gaia, and the remaining 6 alts each use a different sword to show off the weapon variety in the GS series. THAT would be amazing.
I highly doubt this. Sure, it might be neat, but Sakurai is pretty detailed about how hitboxes work, and how accurate they are due to the size and movement of what's creating it.

Having a different alt for each weapon simply wouldn't do. Gaia Blade, Sol Blade, Axes, Greatswords, Staves, etc. would all be to much.

Honestly, they'll probably just stick him with the Sol Blade.

that would be the coolest imo as well, since it fits thematically with the "sun" motif. Plus, according to the Dark Dawn depiction, it looks the most unique of any sword that's in Smash Bros.

As for Isaac's fighting style, I think he would obviously use his sword for slashing and stabbing attacks like tilts and aerials, but I think it would be really neat if we saw Isaac conducting the spells he uses with the sword acting as more of a staff or wand. It could look really flashy and awesome to see him point at the ground and have Spires fly up from the ground in that location or something like that. Of course, it would also be pretty neat to see Isaac throwing spells around with his hands, so I'm kind of torn on that one, I don't know. Maybe a mix.

Last edited:

MonopolyRubix

Smash Rookie
I'd like Blados and Chalis's battle theme from Dark Dawn.

Apollo Ascent is very good as well. Maybe it could have a medley with Venus and Mars Lighthouse?

Lonodel

Smash Journeyman
I think the best way Golden Sun 4 could be announced is if Isaac were to get in as DLC and it listed golden sun 4 as one of the games he was in.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I think the best way Golden Sun 4 could be announced is if Isaac were to get in as DLC and it listed golden sun 4 as one of the games he was in.
That wouldn't happen, though, because GS4 isn't out yet. They'd probably announce GS4 sometime after he's announced (or maybe at the same time they'll say "Oh, and the next Golden Sun is in development, we'll provide further details when available.")

~Skelly~

For the Empire
NNID
SkeletonoFun
3DS FC
0232-8371-3002
As awesome as that would be, let's focus on getting Isaac back in the spotlight first.

Baby steps my fellow Adepts, baby steps.

Last edited:

MrGame&Rock

Smash Ace
NNID
SpenstarHD
I know this will never happen, but I want the Smooth McGroove version of the Isaac battle theme to be in the inevitable Colossus stage we get when Isaac is announced.

Jamurai

Victory is my destiny
NNID
Jamurai92
I was playing a new GS1 playthrough and my gf was watching me play. We're almost out of the lengthy prologue and she sighs and says "I'm pretty sad that Kyle died. He was cute."

I'm not sure how to feel about this.

Jamurai

Victory is my destiny
NNID
Jamurai92
There's gotta be a comic somewhere where Piers says to Garet "do u even lift bro" and Garet whips out the Lifting Gem, smirks and says "Why yes. Yes I do"

Staarih

Smash Master
I just finished Dark Dawn, well, the main story at least. I couldn't stop playing once I knew I was getting towards the end haha! Man, the locations and puzzles were great in this game, Apollo Sanctum was amazing. All the characters were great and the story was tied together well. Sveta definitely took the limelight though... not that that's a bad thing. By no means is Dark Dawn bad, and I wish it had done better when it came out, it would have deserved it... I'm soooo itching for a GS4 right now, there's still a lot to cover with beastmen, Dark Psynergy and Tuaparang and all that jazz, and the major cliffhanger of course. Oh, and my support for Isaac in Smash is stronger than ever now! Will have to dive into DD's post game at a later point.

Last edited:

Accursed

Smash Journeyman
Apollo Sanctum Gate was amazing. My mind was blown after I had solved all the puzzles and saw the shadow of all the wheels combined.

Chapter Serf

Ace Skell Pilot
NNID
ChapterSerf
3DS FC
3969-7074-2956
In DD, all of the Djinn were given unique designs, with one Djinni of each element maintaining the appearance of the GBA Djinn.

Out of each element, which Djinni is your favorite, based solely on its aesthetic appearance?

Mercury
Venus
Jupiter
Mars

ZanZero

Smash Apprentice
In DD, all of the Djinn were given unique designs, with one Djinni of each element maintaining the appearance of the GBA Djinn.

Out of each element, which Djinni is your favorite, based solely on its aesthetic appearance?

Mercury
Venus
Jupiter
Mars
Hemlock over all, easy.
But for each one I'd say...

Mercury - Dewdrop
Venus - Hemlock
Jupiter - Ether
Mars - Flare

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326

Mercury
Venus
Jupiter
Mars
Here are mine:

Fire:
- Glare
Nothing can go wrong with a sunny and flaming hair style !

Wind:
- Fleet
It is a jet, it is a plane, it is a Fleet (of Jupiter Djinn)!!!

Venus:
- Pewter (sorry Flint!!!)
He looks fine and dandy to me with his droopy ears xD. Plus, you can't go wrong with his sass, humour - yackity-schmakity and all that!

Mercury:
- Spout
Love the hair style again! Plus it has a decent attack after Serac.

Edit: Just noticed that the Djinn whose hairdos I love are both attacking Djinn who cause Delusion on the foe.

Last edited:

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
Since the main focus of Isaac's moveset, I feel, should be his Djinn & Psynergy and not swordplay, I have to agree with just giving Isaac a normal sword. Unlike Link's Master Sword, Marth & Lucina's Falcion, Ike's Ragnell, and Roy's Sealed Sword, the Sol Blade and Gaia Blade aren't the least bit important to the Golden Sun plotline--they're just that special super weapon that you get as a reward towards the end of the game. Aside from acting as a key in Dark Dawn, the Sol Blade wasn't all that relevant. If the Sol Blade were required to defeat a major antagonist (like Marth with Medeus, and Ike with Ashnard), then maybe it would make sense for Isaac to weild it in Smash, but otherwise... [shrugs]. And to be honest, I'm not too fond of the Sol Blade's design in Dark Dawn.

Anyhow, I just got to Tolbi after clearing the first three floors of Crossbone Isle. It's funny... Way back in the day, I actually made it to Crossbone Isle via the Tolbi ship unintentionally on mine very first playthrough of the game. At that time, I didn't even know there was a secret rowmen order until mine second playthrough, when I didn't make it to the island.

Playing through the game again, there have been a few minor things I never noticed until now. I had NO idea you could meet Sheba in Babi's palace prior to entering Colosso. Also, I never knew of the trial scene, with the warriors trying to move the stone pillar. Looking back, they really put a lot of thought into this game.

IvanQuote

Smash Ace
NNID
ivanquote
3DS FC
1693-3075-2999
Since the main focus of Isaac's moveset, I feel, should be his Djinn & Psynergy and not swordplay, I have to agree with just giving Isaac a normal sword. Unlike Link's Master Sword, Marth & Lucina's Falcion, Ike's Ragnell, and Roy's Sealed Sword, the Sol Blade and Gaia Blade aren't the least bit important to the Golden Sun plotline--they're just that special super weapon that you get as a reward towards the end of the game. Aside from acting as a key in Dark Dawn, the Sol Blade wasn't all that relevant. If the Sol Blade were required to defeat a major antagonist (like Marth with Medeus, and Ike with Ashnard), then maybe it would make sense for Isaac to weild it in Smash, but otherwise... [shrugs]. And to be honest, I'm not too fond of the Sol Blade's design in Dark Dawn.

Anyhow, I just got to Tolbi after clearing the first three floors of Crossbone Isle. It's funny... Way back in the day, I actually made it to Crossbone Isle via the Tolbi ship unintentionally on mine very first playthrough of the game. At that time, I didn't even know there was a secret rowmen order until mine second playthrough, when I didn't make it to the island.

Playing through the game again, there have been a few minor things I never noticed until now. I had NO idea you could meet Sheba in Babi's palace prior to entering Colosso. Also, I never knew of the trial scene, with the warriors trying to move the stone pillar. Looking back, they really put a lot of thought into this game.
It goes FAR beyond that. Did you know that one can skip getting Mia via Retreat glitch in the Mercury Lighthouse? Apparently Camelot did because you are able to get psynergy items that allow you to use Douse and Frost, allowing you to not restart and complete the game if you do this accidentally! Now THAT is some amazing foresight.

Chapter Serf

Ace Skell Pilot
NNID
ChapterSerf
3DS FC
3969-7074-2956

There's also dialogue for Mia in Kolima if you pick her up from the Mercury Lighthouse before you visit the town.

(though probably everyone knew that)

Last edited:
Top Bottom