• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Isaac for DLC - One day. Some day. Golden Sunday.

Falgor

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3652-0587-5880
So, some Japanese guy on /r/nintendo on Reddit offered to answer questions about the Japanese point of view and market of the video game industry (Link: https://nm.reddit.com/r/nintendo/comments/3hmies/im_japanese_do_you_have_any_question_about/). I asked about Golden Sun and Isaac and the answer was not really surprising:

"I think it's kinda of between decent popularity between unpopular. But it's more decent popularity rather than very unpopular."

Someone also asked about Little Mac's bad reception in Japan, the answer:

"not upset. But it's not only little mac, the most of new smash characters were not desirable by Japanese except for third party characters which is mega man and Pac-man."

So I asked if they wanted more 3rd parties:

"It's up to Japanese fans. But I think many want to see third party very popular character rather than minor nintendo Characters. And nintendo already put all very popular nintendo character on Smash Bro long time ago. So, they want to see third very popular characters more."

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Hey guys, check this out.

If you want to know who made this, it's @Zem-raj. It almost makes me want to get SMM because of how cool this looks. :p
Too bad its just a hypothetical. Notably, people have made versions of both K. Rool and Ridley for Mario Maker.

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA

"It's up to Japanese fans. But I think many want to see third party very popular character rather than minor nintendo Characters. And nintendo already put all very popular nintendo character on Smash Bro long time ago. So, they want to see third very popular characters more."
Literally like all of Square Enix's JRPG characters. And Jibanyan.

Last edited:

Falgor

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3652-0587-5880
Literally like all of Square Enix's JRPG characters. And Jibanyan.
In the only Japanese 3rd party poll I've seen, the only FF character there was was the Black Mage. Jibanyan was there too.
The popular ones were Snake, Bomberman, Viewtiful Joe, Arle Nadja, Crash Bandicoot, Bayonetta, Zero, Banjo, Geno and Knuckles.

I also wanted to let someone post a reaction before posting mine, but the 3rd party issue seems to be pretty big:
If they continue like in Smash 4, they'll choose characters we will tend to prefer (?). If they get back to trying to please Japanese players, we could see more 3rd parties. Also if the Ballot is filled with 3rd party requests it would be more likely.

Finally, they can also try to please both pure Nintendo fans and people who want more 3rd party with a mix.

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
In the only Japanese 3rd party poll I've seen, the only FF character there was was the Black Mage. Jibanyan was there too.
The popular ones were Snake, Bomberman, Viewtiful Joe, Arle Nadja, Crash Bandicoot, Bayonetta, Zero, Banjo, Geno and Knuckles.

I also wanted to let someone post a reaction before posting mine, but the 3rd party issue seems to be pretty big:
If they continue like in Smash 4, they'll choose characters we will tend to prefer (?). If they get back to trying to please Japanese players, we could see more 3rd parties. Also if the Ballot is filled with 3rd party requests it would be more likely.

Finally, they can also try to please both pure Nintendo fans and people who want more 3rd party with a mix.
My thing was a joke lol. Also, since when was Crash popular in Japan? Never knew about that.

Last edited:

Falgor

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3652-0587-5880
My thing was a joke lol. Also, since when was Crash popular in Japan? Never knew about that.
Though, later he added that Cloud from FF7 was also popular so there was some truth in your joke. :laugh:

But Crash surprised me too. Maybe the poll was made on a site with a big Crash Bandicoot community and it's not really the case otherwise.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
So, some Japanese guy on /r/nintendo on Reddit offered to answer questions about the Japanese point of view and market of the video game industry (Link: https://nm.reddit.com/r/nintendo/comments/3hmies/im_japanese_do_you_have_any_question_about/). I asked about Golden Sun and Isaac and the answer was not really surprising:

"I think it's kinda of between decent popularity between unpopular. But it's more decent popularity rather than very unpopular."

Someone also asked about Little Mac's bad reception in Japan, the answer:

"not upset. But it's not only little mac, the most of new smash characters were not desirable by Japanese except for third party characters which is mega man and Pac-man."

So does this pretty much explain the results of PushDustIn's Japanese Poll from a while back? For those who don't know, I'm talking about this (these):
Don't get me wrong, I'd love for ANY of these to show up in Smash, especially Bandana Dee, Isaac, Arle Nadja, Princess Daisy, and Dixie Kong.

Last edited:

Desert Croc

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4757-0799-4282
So does this pretty much explain the results of PushDustIn's Japanese Poll from a while back? For those who don't know, I'm talking about this (these):
Don't get me wrong, I'd love for ANY of these to show up in Smash, especially Bandana Dee, Isaac, Arle Nadja, Princess Daisy, and Dixie Kong.
There's something that's always bothered me about this. In the second image, is that Shrek above Takamaru? I can't see it clearly.
I'll be gobsmacked if it is because I had no idea Japan cared about him.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Who is Arle Nadja?
I think she's from Puyo Puyo, a Sega puzzle game.
Yeah, she is. Interesting thing, but according to what AzureWarrior told me about this poll, it would seem that she (Arle) is the most requested SEGA character in Japan. (Who is NOT a Sonic character.) and considering how it looks like 3rd party companies are supposedly not restricted to one character per Smash game, she may be taken into consideration.

Your Hero

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1392-4236-0236
Speaking of Isaac's reveal trailer, is anyone else disappointed that if Isaac was revealed, he wouldn't get a cgi trailer like every other non-DLC character?
maybe not but at least we'd get a sweet golden sun/smash crossover poster that I'd totally buy in a heartbeat.

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
I think she's from Puyo Puyo, a Sega puzzle game.
It's a bit more complicated than that. She's the protagonist of Madou Monogatari, a series that spun-off into Puyo Puyo (and various Puyo spin-offs) and eventually got bought out by Sega... Sega kinda relegated her from the protagonal role when they got hold of the IP though...

She's kinda more like Bomberman to Konami where her period of most popularity was before the takeover and she generally isn't thought of as a Sega character at all.

IvanQuote

Smash Ace
NNID
ivanquote
3DS FC
1693-3075-2999
Currently in Gaia Rock now and I somehow got lost on the way to finding the boss and managed to activate all the beams in the process. Also, am I the only one who finds it odd that in the Venus Dungeon the main puzzles revolve around Cyclone, Whirlwind, and a Dancing Idol?

M23-X0

Smash Journeyman
Do you have the source of this? i want to read their analysis.

JohnnySparkxs

Smash Ace
Currently in Gaia Rock now and I somehow got lost on the way to finding the boss and managed to activate all the beams in the process. Also, am I the only one who finds it odd that in the Venus Dungeon the main puzzles revolve around Cyclone, Whirlwind, and a Dancing Idol?
You'll have to go to the hall that has a growth sappling in the mid. All you'll have to do is cast growth on it and it will form an arrow for you to follow. Eventually you'll reach the room with the boss.

Chapter Serf

Ace Skell Pilot
NNID
ChapterSerf
3DS FC
3969-7074-2956
It demands a really good comprehension of the game fighting mechanics. And pre grinding to get enough armor and life to survive each turn.
And be able to dish out enough damage to overcome the heals.

Last edited:

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
And be able to dish out enough damage to overcome the heals.
Which means being able to deal more than two thirds of the boss's health per turn.

It's possible, just incredibly difficult. You need to use the Level 4 summons first not to do damage, but to boost your elemental power. Once capped on Elemental Power (and you pretty much need each Adept to be in their mono-element base class), try to inflict a Resistance drop with Sour right before unleashing the level 4 summons again. You should most likely be able to one-shot the boss at that point.

So it's just a matter of staying alive with basically one Djinn per character (due to the amount you have access to during that point in the game, as the rest are immediately unleashed as you get them) for ten plus turns.

Last edited:

Accursed

Smash Journeyman
maybe not but at least we'd get a sweet golden sun/smash crossover poster that I'd totally buy in a heartbeat.
Speaking of which, anyone have any ideas on what this might look like?

I was thinking maybe something like a bunch of GS characters on one side vs their lookalikes from Smash on the other, like Isaac vs Shulk or Robin, Garet vs Reyn (Reyn confirmed for DLC?), etc. etc.

~Skelly~

For the Empire
NNID
SkeletonoFun
3DS FC
0232-8371-3002
You'll have to go to the hall that has a growth sappling in the mid. All you'll have to do is cast growth on it and it will form an arrow for you to follow. Eventually you'll reach the room with the boss.
Don't forget to look around behind the boss for a sword after you have beaten it.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
It's a bit more complicated than that. She's the protagonist of Madou Monogatari, a series that spun-off into Puyo Puyo (and various Puyo spin-offs) and eventually got bought out by Sega... Sega kinda relegated her from the protagonal role when they got hold of the IP though...

She's kinda more like Bomberman to Konami where her period of most popularity was before the takeover and she generally isn't thought of as a Sega character at all.
Yeah, you have a point there. I've noticed it too, where the second main Puyo protagonist (Amitie, I believe is her name) seems to be a bit more front-and-center for the series these days. And if I remember correctly, that's mostly for merchandise. In terms of the Puyo games themselves in-game, the series has a third main protagonist (I think her name is Ringo, if I'm remembering that right.) who is pretty the full-on lead character of the games since 2009, I think. Still, Arle was the first protagonist of the series to date, not to mention, she's appeared in EVERY game in the Puyo series to date, so it's a bit obvious that she'd be more well-known in the series. I guess that may explain her following in the Smash Poll above.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Retro Specter posted a link to his music on Twitter. I didn't listen to it yet.

Last edited:

littl-myth

Smash Rookie
Waiting till the official Smashified video, I feel hype. Maybe because of the special surprise at the end. Such mystery.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
He specifically started he was ALLOWED to upload it, so he didn't spoil it. Smashified already knew everyone knew who it was, so they just stopped caring about it lol.

Top Bottom